• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg
There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 63.
#1951 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Doing more research on converting to a retro pie, I'm sure I'll need to drill a hole for one more button, and while it seems everyone is selling standard size ones, it made me think that I want to go all nostalgia.
How do I go about finding those little red buttons? The ones that it seemed the early 80s machines had for the player select. They were smaller red buttons with a steep black base that made it look like a little volcano . This is coming from my 6 y/o-self memory.
Would love to add those for the select/coin button.
Well no s#it! I guess they are simply called volcano switches. I was searching everything except for that, then figured I'd give it a shot.

i think Atari used them alot

#1952 5 years ago

I was talking to someone this past weekend who makes an arcade control panel, that has 1,300 games built into it. It plugs into the HDMI slot on a TV. It has two joysticks and twelve buttons for two players. Most of the games I would not be interested in, but there were some that have made me consider it. It has all the Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Donkey Kong, and Pac Man games. Plus stuff like Popeye, Xevious, Bubble Bobble, Mario Bros, Arkanoid, Space Invaders, Burger Time, Jungle King and Centipede to name a few. (Centipede with no track ball? Don't know how that would be.) It seems well built. Asking price is $300. I could not tell the difference in the game play from an actual arcade machine. The controls all felt great. It does not seem like cheap parts were used. I thought it would be cool to make a custom stand with a TV and the control panel on it. Add a couple of swivel chairs and the whole thing would be good to go. I am not too familiar with arcade games or MAME stuff. I am not a purist. It seems like an ok way to go, to get some decent video game classics in the home with an arcade feel.

#1954 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Were you looking for something like this?
ebay.com link » Pandoras Box 5s Classic Console Retro Games 1299 In 1 Arcade Hd Fighting Party

It did not look like that, but it did have a Pandoras Box 5s screen, and it was 1,299 games. The one on Ebay is a lot cheaper. Do you know if it is any good?

#1955 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Were you looking for something like this?
ebay.com link » Pandoras Box 5s Classic Console Retro Games 1299 In 1 Arcade Hd Fighting Party

I did not even know that something like this existed. LOL. I am glad that you posted the info. Now I can look into it a little more.

#1956 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

It did not look like that, but it did have a Pandoras Box 5s screen, and it was 1,299 games. The one on Ebay is a lot cheaper. Do you know if it is any good?

#1957 5 years ago

Vid, I really respect your opinion. Is this something worth getting? You know a hell of a lot more than I do.

#1958 5 years ago

I just noticed noticed that it was a video with a review and not just a picture. I should wear my glasses more. Thanks for posting Vid

#1959 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I was talking to someone this past weekend who makes an arcade control panel, that has 1,300 games built into it. It plugs into the HDMI slot on a TV. It has two joysticks and twelve buttons for two players. Most of the games I would not be interested in, but there were some that have made me consider it. It has all the Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Donkey Kong, and Pac Man games. Plus stuff like Popeye, Xevious, Bubble Bobble, Mario Bros, Arkanoid, Space Invaders, Burger Time, Jungle King and Centipede to name a few. (Centipede with no track ball? Don't know how that would be.) It seems well built. Asking price is $300. I could not tell the difference in the game play from an actual arcade machine. The controls all felt great. It does not seem like cheap parts were used. I thought it would be cool to make a custom stand with a TV and the control panel on it. Add a couple of swivel chairs and the whole thing would be good to go. I am not too familiar with arcade games or MAME stuff. I am not a purist. It seems like an ok way to go, to get some decent video game classics in the home with an arcade feel.

I had the same idea as you. I’ve built a MAME system with a raspberry pi and bought an X-Arcade Tank stick. I run this on my 50inch Wall-mounted tv. Although setting up MAME and getting the right ROMs was a major headache, it really works well.

Yet, somehow it just doesn’t resonate with me in the same way as sitting at an arcade cabinet does. So it mostly sits unplayed. That is why I think these Arcade 1up units are so cool. They manage to scratch the same itch as the big, rat urine infested commercial units do(I own 4), and work just about as well for non-anal folks like me (except for that goldurned spinner!)

YMMV

#1960 5 years ago

That video review now gives me more to think about. At first it looked good but now I am not so sure. Maybe if I had seen it side by side with actual arcade games, I would have been able to spot some differences.

#1961 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

At first it looked good but now I am not so sure.

It just seems (to me) that whoever builds those things are not gamers.

If they even tested the games for 1 minute, they would see how many games don't work at all.

Back in the 90s there was a term "shovelware" to describe when a company would put 1000 games on a CDROM and sell it for $20.

Most of the games would not run, were demos, or were written in strange languages. It was obvious that no one ever even loaded them to see what they were.

#1962 5 years ago

I think that you folks just saved me $300. If anything, I might take the chance on one for $100 on ebay. Even if its not great, I could still play it with my daughter. I heard that games could be deleted, so if there was anything that would be inappropriate for her age, I could get rid of it.

#1963 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I think that you folks just saved me $300. If anything, I might take the chance on one for $100 on ebay. Even if its not great, I could still play it with my daughter. I heard that games could be deleted, so if there was anything that would be inappropriate for her age, I could get rid of it.

I'd get the thing directly from the A3 company, those are the real bootleg ones.

The others are bootlegs of a bootleg

The Pandoras Box 6 is the current model :

https://pandorasbox.aliexpress.com/store/937838?spm=2114.12010108.0.0.d8396c29sxBgZW

You can get a discount by ordering through Aliexpress app, and if you have never used Aliexpress, you get a one time discount for new customer too.

HTB1VvwAaJfvK1RjSspfq6zzXFXas (resized).jpgHTB1VvwAaJfvK1RjSspfq6zzXFXas (resized).jpg
#1964 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

How do I go about finding those little red buttons? The ones that it seemed the early 80s machines had for the player select. They were smaller red buttons with a steep black base that made it look like a little volcano . This is coming from my 6 y/o-self memory.

Would love to add those for the select/coin button.

Too bad you've named one of the harder parts to source as those buttons are NLA and demand huge prices

#1965 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Too bad you've named one of the harder parts to source as those buttons are NLA and demand huge prices

Yep, the black cone is $4, but the switch mech is probably $40

#1966 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Quoted from vid1900:

Yep, the black cone is $4, but the switch mech is probably $40

Shame. Surprised there aren't any reasonable recreations. Seen some posts where it looks like people have found similar buttons that work with the cones at Lowes

#1967 5 years ago

There's really two ways to do emulation, in my opinion/experience:

1) You enjoy setting it up. Designing your cab, building it, picking controls, obsessing over 4 way sticks vs 8 way, wondering if you can fit a rotated Q-bert stick in your layout. Playing games is secondary, the thrill is getting as many as you can running, and then getting a front end to pick them all, and then customizing that front end so the buttons light up and digital instruction card appear for your guests. You run it sometimes as parties, people think they're neat, and don't notice or use 85% of your hard work after playing some Ms Pac-Man and "that one game they remember with the monsters, do you know the one?" and wandering off.

You think the kids will love it, but they mostly discover the old games are too hard, and don't look that interesting.

Aside from tinkering with it you rarely play games seriously, because just scrolling the nearly infinite lists feels daunting. But you just heard about a new front end and you're wondering if it's better than Hyperspin, maybe it's time to update? Hmm, maybe a new cab, but this one can rotate the monitor with a motor for horizontal and vertical games. Time to start planning.

2) You make a very specific setup, with a limited selection of games. Vertical monitor, 2 buttons, only games that work with that configuration, and then you dump half of them anyways because you don't enjoy them. Your list doesn't take long to scroll through, it only has games you like, and you play some regular favorites and overall enjoy the game playing experience and trying to beat your score in Burgertime.

#1968 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Shame. Surprised there aren't any reasonable recreations. Seen some posts where it looks like people have found similar buttons that work with the cones at Lowes

The cones have been reproduced, because it takes only seconds for a CNC Lathe to blast them out (even by hand you could turn them in less than a minute).

But the switches had a little red LED in them, hi-tech for 40 years ago. Not used any longer in industry I can think of.

#1969 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There's really two ways to do emulation, in my opinion/experience:
1) You enjoy setting it up. Designing your cab, building it, picking controls, obsessing over 4 way sticks vs 8 way, wondering if you can fit a rotated Q-bert stick in your layout. Playing games is secondary, the thrill is getting as many as you can running, and then getting a front end to pick them all, and then customizing that front end so the buttons light up and digital instruction card appear for your guests. You run it sometimes as parties, people think they're neat, and don't notice or use 85% of your hard work after playing some Ms Pac-Man and "that one game they remember with the monsters, do you know the one?" and wandering off.
You think the kids will love it, but they mostly discover the old games are too hard, and don't look that interesting.
Aside from tinkering with it you rarely play games seriously, because just scrolling the nearly infinite lists feels daunting. But you just heard about a new front end and you're wondering if it's better than Hyperspin, maybe it's time to update? Hmm, maybe a new cab, but this one can rotate the monitor with a motor for horizontal and vertical games. Time to start planning.
2) You make a very specific setup, with a limited selection of games. Vertical monitor, 2 buttons, only games that work with that configuration, and then you dump half of them anyways because you don't enjoy them. Your list doesn't take long to scroll through, it only had games you like, and you play some regular favorites and overall enjoy the game playing experience and trying to beat your score in Burgertime.

I would pick door number two. Number one is not good for lazy people like me. I think the Pandora's Box 6s is not looking two bad right about now.

#1970 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Exactly.

Kids want games they can play with friends they've never met.

When all the games now look like this

reyk31uae0d9f0ihzvtj (resized).jpgreyk31uae0d9f0ihzvtj (resized).jpg

It's hard to get them excited about this

berzerk02 (resized).jpgberzerk02 (resized).jpg
#1971 5 years ago

All I want is a Punch-Out / Super Punch-Out equivalent of the Street Fighter arcade.

#1972 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I would pick door number two. Number one is not good for lazy people like me. I think the Pandora's Box 6s is not looking two bad right about now.

Pandora’s box is like 90% foreign variations on a dozen or more fighting games that 99% of people don’t care about. They are neat... but make sure you actually study the game list and don’t get blinded by the just high game count.

There are only so many variations on king of fighters anyone needs...

#1973 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The cones have been reproduced, because it takes only seconds for a CNC Lathe to blast them out (even by hand you could turn them in less than a minute).
But the switches had a little red LED in them, hi-tech for 40 years ago. Not used any longer in industry I can think of.

The bezels (all three versions) are available from Arcade Shop LLC:
http://www.arcadeshop.com/d/22/pushbuttons_2.htm
Go to the end of the page.

#1974 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:Yep, the black cone is $4, but the switch mech is probably $40

I have a few sets that i'll probably sell.
I'll look for them later today.

#1975 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

Pandora's box is kind of the shittiest combination of both worlds. You get a ton of games you don't give a crap about to scroll past, controls that are badly optimized for 60% of them, chances are good than any one game you pick is going to be buggy or screen tear or have glitchy sound.

They're fine for toys to dip your feet, remember a few games, and then let collect dust. I wouldn't expect anything more than that from it.

#1976 5 years ago

I prefer the game elf vs the Pandora’s box. I currently have a game elf 412 vertical running in a cab. About 100 of the games are worth it. It works well for shumps and Pac-Man

#1977 5 years ago

What could I expect to pay for a decent emulator with a control panel for at least two players? I don't need a ton of games, just some of the classics. I do not care about obscure games. The Pandora seemed easy and fairly cheap. I would not mind putting in some work and more cash to get something better, but I do not want to go overboard. It would just be for casual gaming. I know nothing about this stuff so any info would have to be dumbed down. You guys seem to know much more than I do, so it would be good to get some options. I could get my feet wet with a Pandora and upgrade to something else at a later date, unless there is something I should have my sights on instead.

#1978 5 years ago

Are they making NBA Jam?

#1979 5 years ago

For me I'd never own Pandora's box... You know ZERO of those games are licensed... so you're just asking for the FBI or actually secret service to have better things to do and not go after end-users.

The impression I have is 1UPs are legal licenses of the games they sell... so you are "doing the right thing".

#1980 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

so you're just asking for the FBI or actually secret service to have better things to do and not go after end-users.

I imagine the FBI has plenty of work on their hands these days.
здоровье!здоровье!

#1981 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I prefer the game elf vs the Pandora’s box. I currently have a game elf 412 vertical running in a cab. About 100 of the games are worth it. It works well for shumps and Pac-Man

That's only about less than a quarter of the games that are "Worth it".

#1982 5 years ago
Quoted from tjmac55:

Are they making NBA Jam?

Not yet, but their response is always “we’re listening to our customers”. AND there was a leaked pic of one from CES; I hope to hear it announced at E3 for a Christmas release.

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

That's only about less than a quarter of the games that are "Worth it".

That’s “worth it” to me. Some are great games you just need the right controls. Ikari warriors needs a rotating joystick, Arkanoid is fun, but not without a spinner. Pac-Man, Faster Pac-Man, or puck man; they’re all the same to me. There’s a bunch of early 80’s games that I have no nostalgia for.

I have it for 1942, dodonpachi, raiden, digdug.... there’s enough to keep me happy. It’s easy to edit the game list, so I only cycle through the stuff I play, not the other 300 filler ones. The games I play are emulated well enough to keep me happy. The Pandora’s box vertical is called “The king of air” but only has 51 games.

#1983 5 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

The bezels (all three versions) are available from Arcade Shop LLC:
http://www.arcadeshop.com/d/22/pushbuttons_2.htm
Go to the end of the page.

These momentary switches from lowes (homedepot has similar as well) are the right size to screw right into those repro cone bezels. Unfortunately they do not light up like the Atari player select ones did. However they are a good match for the non light up style used on Missile Command.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SERVALITE-1-Switch-0-75-Amp-Single-Pole-Black-Indoor-Momentary-Light-Switch/50107288

#1984 5 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

These momentary switches from lowes (homedepot has similar as well) are the right size to screw right into those repro cone bezels. Unfortunately they do not light up like the Atari player select ones did. However they are a good match for the non light up style used on Missile Command.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SERVALITE-1-Switch-0-75-Amp-Single-Pole-Black-Indoor-Momentary-Light-Switch/50107288

I've actually have used similar ones before but the ones I used had solder tabs on them, and they're a good substitute as long as you don't need the LED. I think the ones I used were Eaton.

#1985 5 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I don’t have any measurements so can’t tell if this might work, but it looks sorta right.

https://www.parts-express.com/spst-snap-in-mount-push-button-no-momentary-125vac-1a-switch-with-2vdc-red-led--060-665

#1986 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

Vid, I really respect your opinion. Is this something worth getting? You know a hell of a lot more than I do.

I recommend buying the games you want to play in spades. Get the actual games. I have emulation cabinets and actual games. I noticed I play the actual game in a cabinet well before the emulator. Alot of reasons as already said. It does not render the experience and feel for the game and that is what it's supposed to do. It just doesn't. What it does do is show you the game on a monitor with crappy controls and a crap ton of buttons in a couple of rows that are not laid out right. I have found the actual trackball, joystick and button's both type, control, there layout matter immensely.

I recently acquired a Galaga Cabaret that I cannot quit playing with original hardware. Its amazing to play with original joystick, leaf switch button and the cabinet being configured correctly yet I won't go play Galaga on an emulation system or even a 60 in 1. Go figure. This cabinet has changed my view on emulation alot and I realized for great games nothing compares to the actual play. I am fortunate to have the original joystick that does not match anything you can buy now. Its a rocker with leaf switches sitting vertically along side with stops. Just as with Donkey Kong being a 4 sides lock in place square metal that again cannot be simulated on a 4 way switch.

I highly recommend the originals if that is what you like to play.

#1987 5 years ago

I'm not so sure that emulation itself stinks. But I do agree with everything you said about controls. For the old arcade games, the controls are everything. Its the controls man, its the controls. I still have a belief it can be dealt with on an emulator cabinet, but it takes careful consideration of a lot of factors. That's why I have been stalled for a long time, biding my time and reading up on controls.

#1988 5 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

I recommend buying the games you want to play in spades. Get the actual games. I have emulation cabinets and actual games. I noticed I play the actual game in a cabinet well before the emulator. Alot of reasons as already said. Emulation quite frankly stinks. It does not render the experience and feel for the game and that is what it's supposed to do. It just doesn't. What it does do is show you the game on a monitor with crappy controls and a crap ton of buttons in a couple of rows that are not laid out right. I have found the actual trackball, joystick and button's both type, control, there layout matter immensely.
I recently acquired a Galaga Cabaret that I cannot quit playing with original hardware. Its amazing to play with original joystick, leaf switch button and the cabinet being configured correctly yet I won't go play Galaga on an emulation system or even a 60 in 1. Go figure. This cabinet has changed my view on emulation alot and I realized for great games nothing compares to the actual play. I am fortunate to have the original joystick that does not match anything you can buy now. Its a rocker with leaf switches sitting vertically along side with stops. Just as with Donkey Kong being a 4 sides lock in place square metal that again cannot be simulated on a 4 way switch.
I highly recommend the originals if that is what you like to play.

All of what you said makes sense. Unfortunately there are some factors that would prevent me from doing this. Space limitation, and cost. But I do agree, nothing beats an original.

#1989 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I'm not so sure that emulation itself stinks. But I do agree with everything you said about controls. For the old arcade games, the controls are everything. Its the controls man, its the controls. I still have a belief it can be dealt with on an emulator cabinet, but it takes careful consideration of a lot of factors. That's why I have been stalled for a long time, biding my time and reading up on controls.

Yea, Sorry the word stink is too far.... because there is a place and I do enjoy playing games that are emulated on a MAME game. But the trade off's are quite stark once you own an original with original hardware on the control panel.

#1990 5 years ago

I have a repurposed Zaxxon cab with a rotatable CRT monitor and various swappable control panels (one devoted to Defender alone) to match my favorite JAMMA and non-JAMMA boards. The only games I'm missing out on are the Vectors. This is as close to original as I get without leasing a warehouse.

#1991 5 years ago
Quoted from jkleinnd:

I have a repurposed Zaxxon cab with a rotatable CRT monitor and various swappable control panels (one devoted to Defender alone) to match my favorite JAMMA and non-JAMMA boards. The only games I'm missing out on are the Vectors. This is as close to original as I get without leasing a warehouse.

Sounds like a lot of work.

#1992 5 years ago
Quoted from jkleinnd:

You mentioned defender. Defender is a great example of the problems with emulation. Defender plays terribly on any of the multi game boards. The 19-1 or 512 in 1 are horribly inaccurate. The only jamma board that plays defender accurately is Jroks multi Williams. Jrok is not emulation but actual hardware running the proper code.

#1993 5 years ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

You mentioned defender. Defender is a great example of the problems with emulation. Defender plays terribly on any of the multi game boards. The 19-1 or 512 in 1 are horribly inaccurate. The only jamma board that plays defender accurately is Jroks multi Williams. Jrok is not emulation but actual hardware running the proper code.

I played a ton of Defender/Stargate back in the day. Later I bought a Stargate and eventually converted it into a Multi-Williams with one of the 19-in-1 boards. I would say I’m a “hardcore casual” classic gamer and I can’t tell any differences; or else it was so minor that I forgot them. So I would say that to think that these play “terribly” is dependent on how much your perspective is that of a hardcore purist.

#1994 5 years ago

I am what they call a Stargate Specialist. Logging hundreds of hours of Stargate Flight School, I can tell you its all in the button configuration on this game. Nothing else works , no emulation , no multi williams cabinet.....nothing but the original on this one.

#1995 5 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

I am what they call a Stargate Specialist. Logging hundreds of hours of Stargate Flight School, I can tell you its all in the button configuration on this game. Nothing else works , no emulation , no multi williams cabinet.....nothing but the original on this one.

What does button placement have to do with computing hardware?

If its "all button configuration" how can this matter on original hardware or mame? I'm not familiar with that game, does it have some special controls that can't be recreated?

#1996 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I'm not familiar with that game, does it have some special controls that can't be recreated?

I'm not sure how anyone could ever recreate this:

35355778452_b702e4a104_b (resized).jpg35355778452_b702e4a104_b (resized).jpg
#1997 5 years ago

If any of you guys have a Sham's Club membership, the Atari Flashback 9 is $9.99 in the clearance section in the back.

#1998 5 years ago

"If" you're not going to buy the original games in their original cabinets- who really has space for this?? Or the opportunities?? Or the $$'s??
And "if" you still want an *original* experience, then the control panels are more important than emulator vs original PCB's. (At least for most of the games I cared about.) You'll want to choose a cabinet for which you can easily build multiple control panels. I have 5. Probably would be "easier" to have 2 identical (so you can share control panels) cabinets and devote one to the horizontals and one to the verticals. This is the sweet spot.

#1999 5 years ago
Quoted from jkleinnd:

"If" you're not going to buy the original games in their original cabinets- who really has space for this?

Single moms.

#2000 5 years ago

... and my unmarried, childless sister. She badly wants the Centipede Arcade1Up.

There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/40?hl=sinistarrett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.