• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg

There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 63.
#101 5 years ago

Looks like Fry's Electronics is getting the mother of all exclusives. 12 Atari classics in one cab including the riser for $499. Not as attractive as the Centipede or the Asteroids cabinets, but that's a helluva game line-up.

Asteroids
Centipede
Major Havoc
Missile Command
Lunar Lander
Crystal Castles
Tempest
Millipede
Liberator
Gravitar
Super Breakout
Asteroids Deluxe

I still like the Centipede and Asteroid cabinets better, so I might opt for that. I can always play the missing games on my mame cab.

Fry's shows it as sold as out right now, FYI.

Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 3.41.48 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-08-06 at 3.41.48 PM (resized).png

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

Looks like Fry's Electronics is getting the mother of all exclusives. 12 Atari classics in one cab including the riser for $499. Not as attractive as the Centipede or the Asteroids cabinets, but that's a helluva game line-up.
Asteroids
Centipede
Major Havoc
Missile Command
Lunar Lander
Crystal Castles
Tempest
Millipede
Liberator
Gravitar
Super Breakout
Asteroids Deluxe
I still like the Centipede and Asteroid cabinets better, so I might opt for that. I can always play the missing games on my mame cab.
Fry's shows it as sold as out right now, FYI.
[quoted image]

I've never understood needing Asteroid and Asteroid Deluxe, Centipede and Millipede in the same cab. I'd much rather substitute a "different " type of game to fill out the list.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I've never understood needing ........... Centipede and Millipede in the same cab.

Millipede is the superior game, but normal people only recognize Centipede.

There are only a few Atari games that use the Trackball, so they had to use what they had.

If you gave people a choice of Marble Madness or Millipede, I'd say most would take Millipede; although I'd take Marble over Cent....

#104 5 years ago

It sounds like the controls are proprietary, not off the shelf. But they are supposed to feel like the originals. The street fighter cabinets first run has ball top joysticks, but future runs will have bat style joysticks like most North American games.

In the video he shows pics of a couple unannounced cabinets. Mortal Kombat in one. Shinobi and streets of rage in another. Marvel vs capcom in another. So their 2019 lineup looks better then these. IMHO

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Hmm, Tempest? I've basically given up on mine, think I've owned this turd a few years now...will leave out the details, but should just burn the thing in my driveway....May be up and running by 2096

tempest is long overdue for a full on bulletproof method, I know the monitor can be rebuilt and the board can be refurbd, but yes, sadly its hard to keep running on a regular basis. mine was fully gone through and brought back to life and has been kept alive for the last 4 years, its a dang miracle.

so tempest running on emulation and on an lcd monitor should look terrible, however, I bet the monitor settings can be adjusted to help the viewing experience be better than total crap

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

so tempest running on emulation and on an lcd monitor should look terrible, however, I bet the monitor settings can be adjusted to help the viewing experience be better than total crap

Asteroids or Tempest (or any vector game) not played on a real vector monitor just isn't the same.

#107 5 years ago

The cabinets are just too narrow and small for more than 1 person. I would be willing to pay more for a larger monitor and wider (taller) cabinet just for Gauntlet. No way 3 regular sized people can play.

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Asteroids or Tempest (or any vector game) not played on a real vector monitor just isn't the same.

yes, I love these games, I have both originals, not any other other way to play

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

It sounds like the controls are proprietary, not off the shelf. But they are supposed to feel like the originals. The street fighter cabinets first run has ball top joysticks, but future runs will have bat style joysticks like most North American games.
In the video he shows pics of a couple unannounced cabinets. Mortal Kombat in one. Shinobi and streets of rage in another. Marvel vs capcom in another. So their 2019 lineup looks better then these. IMHO

cool! I bet someone could still hack new sticks or buttons in.

#110 5 years ago

Here’s a bit more info about their games lineup

#111 5 years ago

I'd be interested in these if they were full sized cabinets (and I would have been willing to pay more). 3/4 sized just seems too short and too narrow to me. The riser option kinda solves the too short issue, but not the too narrow issue. It's also too bad the control panel is flat as a pancake and not slanted a little towards the player as all arcade cabinet control panels pretty much are, but hey... I guess you can set your latte or PBR on it and not have it slide off.

#112 5 years ago

There’s no way you’d see TMNT, XMen and Simpsons in one cab together. The licensing would kill it.

Konami has other 4 player games tho, like Crime Fighters/Vendetta, Metamorphic Force and Sunset Riders, that can fill out a cab if Arcade1up manage to get/has the rights to one or more of these franchises. There are also 2 TMNT games so maybe you get a TMNT/Turtles in Time/Sunset Riders cab or an XMen/Metamorphic Force!

Why no love for Bucky O’Hare??

#113 5 years ago

It wouldn't make business sense to put all 3 of those in one cabinet. There is enough demand to sell Turtles and Simpsons on their own, and probably X-men as well.

#114 5 years ago

They should do Battletoads! The arcade version is lots of fun.

#115 5 years ago

I’d love to see a rotational joystick game. With ikari warriors, heavy barrel, and S.A.R search and rescue. In one cab

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

tempest is long overdue for a full on bulletproof method, I know the monitor can be rebuilt and the board can be refurbd, but yes, sadly its hard to keep running on a regular basis. mine was fully gone through and brought back to life and has been kept alive for the last 4 years, its a dang miracle.

There is an FPGA replacement board for Tempest that is in what I would characterize as "late beta". It's a drop-in replacement for the game PCB, and has room on the SD card to also run Major Havoc and Omega Race. As for the monitor, there is actually a bit of a resurgence right now for color vectors, and there are enough aftermarket parts out there that you could build an entire vector monitor from them. That's if your 6100 is truly too far gone to be bulletproofed, which is pretty far. And yes, Tempest especially looks awful on an LCD. The black just isn't there, even with all kinds of crazy filters and stuff.

Back to the topic at hand:

As one of those hardcore arcade guys that are all enraged, I am actually ecstatic to see these games show up.

Nothing breaks my heart more than seeing ads on Craigslist for nice Pac Man or Centipede cabinets that have been gutted and then fitted with a cheap JAMMA harness, a cheap LCD screen and a 60-in-1 game board being peddled for $1500.00. If the same customer base can go to Walmart, Target or Gamestop and get a cabinet for a quarter of the price without destroying a recoverable game, then I am all for it.

To me, most multi-game arcade machines are in the exact same category as virtual pinball: Not entirely without value, but definitely not a substitute for the real thing.

#117 5 years ago

I’d love to see a rotational joystick game. With ikari warriors,...

Nice! Remember Time Warriors?

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Nice! Remember Time Warriors?

Time soldiers? Ya I’ve played it a bit. There was also that 50 cal game that had a rotating joystick

#119 5 years ago

I’d love to see a rotational joystick game. With ikari warriors, heavy barrel, and S.A.R search and rescue. In one cab

Oh man, completing the heavy barrel was one of the greatest feelings in the world back as a kid in the arcade!

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

There’s no way you’d see TMNT, XMen and Simpsons in one cab together. The licensing would kill it.
Konami has other 4 player games tho, like Crime Fighters/Vendetta, Metamorphic Force and Sunset Riders, that can fill out a cab if Arcade1up manage to get/has the rights to one or more of these franchises. There are also 2 TMNT games so maybe you get a TMNT/Turtles in Time/Sunset Riders cab or an XMen/Metamorphic Force!
Why no love for Bucky O’Hare??

There's also no guarantee that they would be the 4-player versions, since each game also has a 2-player rom version.

#121 5 years ago

I have an original heavy barrel with a multi splitter. I have ikari warriors, guerrila war, and midnight resitance. Rotary arcade were great.

#122 5 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

I have an original heavy barrel with a multi splitter. I have ikari warriors, guerrila war, and midnight resitance. Rotary arcade were great.

You should try search out a S.A.R. search and rescue. It’s my favorite game of the bunch.

#123 5 years ago

You can see the guy pick up the whole game in the box.

Pam seems impressed

#124 5 years ago

This is the first review that I’ve came across. It’s the street fighter cab

#125 5 years ago

I pre-ordered a few of these from Walmart, but I can't find the riser for sale anywhere (thats not part of a bundle like FYE now seems to have). Anyone else have luck?

#126 5 years ago

No luck here either. That said, when I went to GameStop, the employee that took my pre-ordere said he was expecting to get some risers on release day. They just didn't have them in their system for pre-order yet. Word is that GameStop and WalMart will be cheaper.

#127 5 years ago

The company backing 1up arcade is pretty big. I think we’ll be seeing new games for a while and there will be many in stock all over.

#128 5 years ago

I'd feel alot better if it attached to that riser thing... still, looks pretty legit for what it is.

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I'd feel alot better if it attached to that riser thing... still, looks pretty legit for what it is.

The riser appears to have a nesting feature for the cab. The part showing the guy lifting the cab onto it made the cab seem fairly heavy. This is a good thing.

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The riser appears to have a nesting feature for the cab. The part showing the guy lifting the cab onto it made the cab seem fairly heavy. This is a good thing.

if you read up on these you will find they are anything but heavy at less then 60 lbs. If commercial arcade machines were all built like these kindergarten knock offs the hobby would have died off 30 + years ago.

Thanks
Blake

#131 5 years ago

I think cheap is the word id use to describe these. 60 lbs means when one of your drunk friends stumble against your centepede. Instead of them hurting themselves and us saying "he got what he deserves". We will look at the guy who bought the arcade, laugh then say "he did'nt deserve that" as the machine is now ready for the burn pile.

But for $300 there will be a lot of kids this christmas with wide eyes and big smiles and thats what matters!

I hope they sell like hot cakes.

Thanks
Blake

#132 5 years ago

I have most of the games on the pandoras box but Ill buy my brother a mortal kombat cab for a Christmas present if they actually make it and man if they did have simpsons/xmen/and turtles all in one that would be really hard to pass up.

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

I have most of the games on the pandoras box but Ill buy my brother a mortal kombat cab for a Christmas present if they actually make it and man if they did have simpsons/xmen/and turtles all in one that would be really hard to pass up.

Id love to see two people playing the SF version side by side. Its gotta be like watching two guys trying simultaneously to get the last pringle out of the can. If you have played these fighters on an original machine, especially any MK then you know that space is tight to begin with. Let alone on a cabaret style cabinet.

Thanks
Blake

#134 5 years ago

Any pictures of the circuit boards that are running the games? Curious as to what they're using, hackability, etc.

#135 5 years ago

The easiest way to look at this product is to apply the same logic we do to buying pins. How many of you own the kid version pinball machines? I'm not talking about the miniature Super Mario that's a collectors item either. I'm talking about the $200 plastic 2/3 size pirates of the Caribbean you bought at K-Mart which looks like it runs on 6x D batteries (you know the one). I'm guessing few to none. Well that's what this product represents. A poor substitute to the real thing. Which don't let anyone fool you, are still readily available at a fraction of the cost of its pinball machine counterpart.

Thanks
Blake

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

The easiest way to look at this product is to apply the same logic we do to buying pins. How many of you own the kid version pinball machines? I'm not talking about the miniature Super Mario that's a collectors item either. I'm talking about the $200 plastic 2/3 size pirates of the Caribbean you bought at K-Mart which looks like it runs on 6x D batteries (you know the one). I'm guessing few to none. Well that's what this product represents. A poor substitute to the real thing. Which don't let anyone fool you, are still readily available at a fraction of the cost of its pinball machine counterpart.
Thanks
Blake

I dunno man. Not sure I agree with this assessment. Those Zizzle toys played nothing like a Stern or even an older System 11. These Arcade1Ups on the other hand, might be in cheaper lighter smaller cabinets, but if they get the controls right, they should "play" exactly like Centipede/Asteroids/etc did back in the day, especially since they're using the same ROMS. I have a half dozen full-size arcade cabs in my game room, but I'm still welcoming a couple of these in there. Especially since space is tight.

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

I dunno man. Not sure I agree with this assessment. Those Zizzle toys played nothing like a Stern or even an older System 11. These Arcade1Ups on the other hand, might be in cheaper lighter smaller cabinets, but if they get the controls right, they should "play" exactly like Centipede/Asteroids/etc did back in the day, especially since they're using the same ROMS. I have a half dozen full-size arcade cabs in my game room, but I'm still welcoming a couple of these in there. Especially since space is tight.

just think about this for a second. asteroids was displayed on a vector monitor - cant duplicate on a crt raster, let alone a flat screen. there goes your bullet trails, brightness, explosions exc. atari used leaf buttons for your controls. ever played asteroids on cherry switches (which im guessing they will be using.) you wont get the same rate of fire or response.

centipede - cost of rebuild kits for original trackballs on atari are around $100 give or take let alone the price of the new unit. Do you think they will use the same quality unit ? my bet is they spin good for a couple months and then remind you of the time you wanted to play golden tee at the bar but someone the night before spilled a beer on the control panel. then you have the button issue again.

we could do this for every title.

thanks
Blake

#138 5 years ago

you would be way better off purchasing the cabaret versions of the classic arcades you like then spending $300 on these if you are tight on space. You must have played games on flat screens and seen the difference compared to there CRT counterpart? I've pointed it out to casual folks and they immediately notice the difference.

Thanks
Blake

#139 5 years ago

If your going to spend $300 on one of these units. Spend another $200 to get the real thing and have it for the next 20 years. If you need some quick cash, sell it for what you paid or maybe more.
None of these statements will be true about your other option.

Thanks
Blake

#140 5 years ago

Thanks, Blake... your opinions are noted. The points are reasonable.

You know what else is reasonable?

The situation where someone like me has a basement full of pins, other projects in the wings, and other priorities in front. I also have a couple of kids who appreciate arcade games... and we've forged positive memories and go-to favs at shows. That someone like me would love a full-size arcade. Probably has a Retro-Pie scratching the itch. Has amassed some controls and spare parts to populate a cabinet if the right one turns up.

...then realizes his kids' favorite game is Rampage, and that one's a trickier 3-player build. And realizes the "find a cabinet" part is not so easy because arcades like pins are getting pricier all the time. And rehabbing a cab gets expensive quickly. And where to find the time, money, and space resources meanwhile since other opportunities (like rehabbing a pin with his kids) unexpectedly took up most of them meanwhile...

...then sees huh, for $300 there's a honest-to-goodness 3-player Rampage cabinet (with not one but TWO of our other short-list fave games as bonus, what?!), perfectly sized for two kids and dad, or my kids and their friends, that's turn key ready to go with no hacking together bits and bolts and boards. No lengthy process, no heavy cabinet, no ongoing expense, and freeing my time for the other commitments meanwhile.

All I have to do is let them unwrap the box and put it together, and they and I will have a blast playing right away. Meanwhile, once/if/when the other pieces fall into place for a full-size one, sure, why not. OTOH maybe I'll realize the "full size" wouldn't even be necessary and spare myself a lot of hassle.

Sure, maybe they can knock it over and break the screen. Just like I could buy an arcade today and the CRT could blow out tomorrow... have fun with that either way.

There's a perfect market for these, and it's a wide one, and I don't think it ruins the fun for either side.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Hmm, Tempest? I've basically given up on mine, think I've owned this turd a few years now...will leave out the details, but should just burn the thing in my driveway....May be up and running by 2096

I pre-ordered the Tempest cab for this exact reason. I've had dozens of cabs and pins in my life and know that this is basically an Ikea Smurklboorg book case with a monitor but I will get to play Tempest without worrying about keeping it up and running.

And for $300??? Okay.

#142 5 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Thanks, Blake... your opinions are noted. The points are reasonable.
You know what else is reasonable?
The situation where someone like me has a basement full of pins, other projects in the wings, and other priorities in front. I also have a couple of kids who appreciate arcade games... and we've forged positive memories and go-to favs at shows. That someone like me would love a full-size arcade. Probably has a Retro-Pie scratching the itch. Has amassed some controls and spare parts to populate a cabinet if the right one turns up.
...then realizes his kids' favorite game is Rampage, and that one's a trickier 3-player build. And realizes the "find a cabinet" part is not so easy because arcades like pins are getting pricier all the time. And rehabbing a cab gets expensive quickly. And where to find the time, money, and space resources meanwhile since other opportunities (like rehabbing a pin with his kids) unexpectedly took up most of them meanwhile...
...then sees huh, for $300 there's a honest-to-goodness 3-player Rampage cabinet (with not one but TWO of our other short-list fave games as bonus, what?!), perfectly sized for two kids and dad, or my kids and their friends, that's turn key ready to go with no hacking together bits and bolts and boards. No lengthy process, no heavy cabinet, no ongoing expense, and freeing my time for the other commitments meanwhile.
All I have to do is let them unwrap the box and put it together, and they and I will have a blast playing right away. Meanwhile, once/if/when the other pieces fall into place for a full-size one, sure, why not. OTOH maybe I'll realize the "full size" wouldn't even be necessary and spare myself a lot of hassle.
Sure, maybe they can knock it over and break the screen. Just like I could buy an arcade today and the CRT could blow out tomorrow... have fun with that either way.
There's a perfect market for these, and it's a wide one, and I don't think it ruins the fun for either side.

agreed 100%!!!
There is indeed a market for these and as i mentioned in my first post i hope they sell like hotcakes!
If we did not already have the interest, ambition, and time to put towards our commercial vids i think this would be a decent substitute.
However i would not want to fool myself into thinking its the same as a commercial unit and would be disappointed if i was lead to think that these were the real thing.
I think some folks are uninformed about there options when it comes to buying or playing arcade games.
Just for your own thought i dont doubt that you could reuse a Golden Tee, MK, Rampart, Xenophobe, or about 100 other cabinets and create a very nice 3 player Rampage machine. With the ability to play thousands of games. For much less then the dedicated version.

Thanks
Blake

#143 5 years ago

Boy. If they'd so a Simpsons, Xmen, and TMNT one, I'd have to get it. Those are probably the three games I've dumped the most quarters into, for a video game. JP Pinball still probably beats all that.

#144 5 years ago

If Tempest had a true spinner it would be great, but playing it with a track ball is horseshit.

#145 5 years ago

I would be all over a Double Dragon, Final Fight, Contra and Narc Cab. These are great for homes with little space or to introduce our kids to the hey day of arcades.

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

If Tempest had a true spinner it would be great, but playing it with a track ball is horseshit.

good example.

thanks
Blake

#147 5 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Get excited! It’s in the Asteroids cab
86DFA6F8-238F-44B3-8753-3194FC297C08 (resized).jpeg86DFA6F8-238F-44B3-8753-3194FC297C08 (resized).jpeg

#148 5 years ago

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=409787&highlight=multi+rotary

looks like its still available.

thanks
Blake

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

quote earlier from Zennmaster:

"There is an FPGA replacement board for Tempest that is in what I would characterize as "late beta". It's a drop-in replacement for the game PCB, and has room on the SD card to also run Major Havoc and Omega Race. As for the monitor, there is actually a bit of a resurgence right now for color vectors, and there are enough aftermarket parts out there that you could build an entire vector monitor from them. That's if your 6100 is truly too far gone to be bulletproofed, which is pretty far. And yes, Tempest especially looks awful on an LCD. The black just isn't there, even with all kinds of crazy filters and stuff."

Thanks
Blake

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

Back to the topic at hand:
As one of those hardcore arcade guys that are all enraged, I am actually ecstatic to see these games show up.
Nothing breaks my heart more than seeing ads on Craigslist for nice Pac Man or Centipede cabinets that have been gutted and then fitted with a cheap JAMMA harness, a cheap LCD screen and a 60-in-1 game board being peddled for $1500.00. If the same customer base can go to Walmart, Target or Gamestop and get a cabinet for a quarter of the price without destroying a recoverable game, then I am all for it.
To me, most multi-game arcade machines are in the exact same category as virtual pinball: Not entirely without value, but definitely not a substitute for the real thing.

Very well said. My sentiments exactly. Nothing more nothing less.

thanks
Blake

There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/3?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.