• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg

There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 63.
#1851 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Has Anybody built custom risers? I'm probably going to build one long riser to hold up to 10 of these, and make it slightly higher than the arcade 1up ones. Any good pics of these set up?

Acrade1Up risers do not seem to be available in Europe as of yet atleast. I ordered a Ikea Lack table to put under the cabinet. Its 55x55x45 cm:s (lxwxh). There must be a suitable table somewhere to hold more cabinets as well.

Ikea Lack (resized).jpgIkea Lack (resized).jpg

#1853 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I'm heading back to KLOV...

giphy (2).gifgiphy (2).gif
#1854 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I may just make a real one with a US Digital encoder, sealed ballbearings and a 6oz flywheel.
I'm just working out a divider-circuit so the tics matches the A1U

How much does the encoder value need to be scaled down? Years ago I wrote an article for SERVO magazine on that exact topic. Ran into the issue retrofitting newer hires encoders on early personal robots and controllers. Made a quick circuit that could vary the scale and could be tweaked for the 1up to use a real spinner. If it would help I could dig out the info I have on it.

#1855 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Atari Flashback 9 is on sale for $26.69 @ Menards.
110 games included.
SD card slot to load pirate games (Custer's Revenge anyone?).
2 controllers included.
https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/home-electronics/small-electronics/atari-flashback-reg-9-classic-game-console/ar3220/p-1492064302826-c-6299.htm?tid=7746258983498938381&ipos=1[quoted image][quoted image]

FYI, just noticed on Slickdeals, someone found these for $9.98 at Sam's Club (Sega one as well)

#1856 5 years ago

Speaking of klov, i don't think I've logged in there since these things have hit the market. I bet those guys are all walking around with full on rage boners over the 1up cabinets.

#1857 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I may just make a real one with a US Digital encoder, sealed ballbearings and a 6oz flywheel.
I'm just working out a divider-circuit so the tics matches the A1U

can you make 2?

Neil.

#1859 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Been to an arcade in the last decade? [quoted image]

Cmon Vid; ticket redemption?? I thought you were a true arcade enthusiast!!

#1860 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

It's probably another thread but what is wrong with redemption games?

The big bass wheel that is like the price is right wheel is one of my favorites. No skill required and completely up to the computer. but spinning that shit sure is fun.

#1861 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

How much does the encoder value need to be scaled down? Years ago I wrote an article for SERVO magazine on that exact topic. Ran into the issue retrofitting newer hires encoders on early personal robots and controllers. Made a quick circuit that could vary the scale and could be tweaked for the 1up to use a real spinner. If it would help I could dig out the info I have on it.

I guess this will depend on the replacement spinner used and it’s spin count relative to the stock spin count. The SpinTrak and Turbotwist reportedly have spin counts of 1200. I can’t find documentation of the spin count of the stock Arcade1up “spinner”.

But for reference, on my 12-in-1, the default MAME setting in Tempest for the spinner sensitivity was 20. To make the SpinTrak function close to the arcade standard, I had to set the sensitivity to 1(lowest setting). So scaling down to around 5% would probably get it close.

BTW, I would totally be in for one of your circuits!

#1862 5 years ago

I think I read Arcade1up is planning on selling an upgraded spinner for $50, not sure how accurate the rumor is.

#1863 5 years ago
Quoted from pinij93:

They just lowered it again to $280.

I'm tempted by this. If I'm looking at it right this includes everything from Asteroids and the centipede cabs in one cab? And its the same size as the other cabs so if I get others in the future they will look right together.

#1864 5 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

I'm tempted by this. If I'm looking at it right this includes everything from Asteroids and the centipede cabs in one cab? And its the same size as the other cabs so if I get others in the future they will look right together.

Yes you get everything.. includes riser also that you do not get with regular games. Have to purchase separate if you want it

#1865 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I guess this will depend on the replacement spinner used and it’s spin count relative to the stock spin count. The SpinTrak and Turbotwist reportedly have spin counts of 1200. I can’t find documentation of the spin count of the stock Arcade1up “spinner”.
But for reference, on my 12-in-1, the default MAME setting in Tempest for the spinner sensitivity was 20. To make the SpinTrak function close to the arcade standard, I had to set the sensitivity to 1(lowest setting). So scaling down to around 5% would probably get it close.
BTW, I would totally be in for one of your circuits!

I used a small micro controller inline so I could divide down the settings to just about any value needed. It could also change on the fly. It kept track of the intermediate counts so nothing was lost.

https://www.robotworkshop.com/robotweb/?page_id=86

https://www.servomagazine.com/magazine/issue/2008/07

#1866 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Speaking of klov, i don't think I've logged in there since these things have hit the market. I bet those guys are all walking around with full on rage boners over the 1up cabinets.

Here's the thread, gave it skim, it looks pretty similar to this one actually, some good, some bad, some arguing, etc etc.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=432821

#1867 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Just like pinball, you can run it as a regular Galaga Assault (it has 70 waves), or you can run it as a ticket redemption.

It's really huge in person, so when you get to the higher waves, you attract quite an audience.

If you have ever serviced one, you'll see that the whole monstrosity runs on a tiny Dell Inspiron computer

61heQAhFVdL._SX425_ (resized).jpg61heQAhFVdL._SX425_ (resized).jpgdell-comp (resized).jpgdell-comp (resized).jpg
#1868 5 years ago

Anyone get past level 13 on Galaga. Or do I just suck.

#1870 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

they just aren't that great

There are a few games that still hold up today, like Demon Attack and Suicide Mission

Quoted from xsvtoys:

I just play them on an emulator every once in a while

Everyone has a bunch of emulators, but I never play them because it's too much work, too many versions, too much to scroll through, lol

Give me the simplicity of just turning it on, and playing with a **real** 2600 joystick....

#1872 5 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Both.... (According to that display sign)
[quoted image]

Is that at a Sam’s Club? App says they’re for order online only.

#1873 5 years ago

Both.... (According to that display sign)

I called both SC near me and neither said they ever had it.

They referred me to the website, but could not adjust the price from $50 listed.

They both have the Legends version in stock.

So if anyone actually can find the Atari, that's a hell of a deal !!!!!!

#1874 5 years ago

I was in Sam's club yesterday near me they had both of them knocked down to $9.98.
But they were in the back of the store with other items that were on clearance.

#1875 5 years ago

Odd thing with the Atari Flashback 9, there are a few paddle games, but the real Atari paddles don't seem to work with it.

I don't see any "secret" Flashback paddles for sale on their website.

I mean, if I can't get it working, what's a single mom supposed to do?

#1876 5 years ago
Quoted from pinij93:

Anyone get past level 13 on Galaga. Or do I just suck.

Level 22 for me. Its right after the 4th or 5 th challenging stage , where it gets ridiculous. My top is a shade under 200,000 and a shade under a 1,000 shots fired. So close on both scores for me. Frustrating , but very challenging. When I Jamm Metallica and play Galaga, I say " time for some MeGalaga". Good Times .

#1877 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There are a few games that still hold up today, like Demon Attack and Suicide Mission

Everyone has a bunch of emulators, but I never play them because it's too much work, too many versions, too much to scroll through, lol
Give me the simplicity of just turning it on, and playing with a **real** 2600 joystick....

Its not so bad, I'm a single mom and I can do it! (OK I'm not a single mom). I really haven't spent much time messing with the emulators, they seem to work out of the box OK for the most part. You can get usb controllers for most of the old platforms, but I just play with a Microsoft 360 controller, it works surprisingly well for a lot of games.

2600 home (resized).png2600 home (resized).png

You can even view the manual before you play right on the screen.

2600 frogger manual (resized).png2600 frogger manual (resized).png

MAME games are fun, but most of them need a better controller than the gaming pad.

arcade home (resized).pngarcade home (resized).png
Asteroids playing on an LCD monitor, oh the humanity Its pretty fun though. I do actually have modifications loaded for this game to emulate the vector monitor, they're in there!

arcade asteroids (resized).pngarcade asteroids (resized).png

I'll get in on the MAME thread with more.

#1878 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Its not so bad, I'm a single mom and I can do it! (OK I'm not a single mom).

You can be anything you want to be, this is a judgement free zone.

#1879 5 years ago

I used a small micro controller inline so I could divide down the settings to just about any value needed. It could also change on the fly. It kept track of the intermediate counts so nothing was lost.
https://www.robotworkshop.com/robotweb/?page_id=86
https://www.servomagazine.com/magazine/issue/2008/07

So what would it take to get you to make one of these for the Arcade 1up?

#1880 5 years ago

Changing gears, I am really not a cocktail cabinet guy, but I would be all in for a 4-player Warlords cocktail.

How sweet would that be?!

714A24BB-1FF3-4DBC-8AA1-4E91CFDC10C7 (resized).jpeg714A24BB-1FF3-4DBC-8AA1-4E91CFDC10C7 (resized).jpeg
#1881 5 years ago

How much does the encoder value need to be scaled down?

I think the smallest encoder that US Digital makes is 32 tics per revolution, and I think the A1U is 8 tics per revolution.

So we might need to divide the output by 4

Or if we can figure out where the A1U stores the string, we could just adjust it in the software.

#1882 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Odd thing with the Atari Flashback 9, there are a few paddle games, but the real Atari paddles don't seem to work with it.
I don't see any "secret" Flashback paddles for sale on their website.
I mean, if I can't get it working, what's a single mom supposed to do?

That's strange. My Atari paddles work fine with the flashback 8 gold.

#1883 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

That's strange. My Atari paddles work fine with the flashback 8 gold.

Hmmmm, maybe my paddles have broken?

I'll test them on a real 2600 and report back.

#1884 5 years ago

This thread is on fire, does anyone know when Pinball1Up is scheduled to be released?

#1885 5 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

This thread is on fire, does anyone know when Pinball1Up is scheduled to be released?

If they made a smaller virtual pinball machine for around $300, that would be pretty cool.

#1886 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

If they made a smaller virtual pinball machine for around $300, that would be pretty cool.

Could be a licensing issue unless they just allowed TPA or zen. But left the ability to “hack” your own on.

I WOULD LOVE A MINI PIN! Real or virtual

#1887 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I think the smallest encoder that US Digital makes is 32 tics per revolution, and I think the A1U is 8 tics per revolution.
So we might need to divide the output by 4
Or if we can figure out where the A1U stores the string, we could just adjust it in the software.

I'm so dumb, thinking about it more.....

The solution is to get a .75 cent encoder wheel, then just cut the extra teeth out until you are left with 8 tics per revolution.
Enc_Wheel_MED (resized).jpgEnc_Wheel_MED (resized).jpgEnc_Wheel_MadsfED (resized).jpgEnc_Wheel_MadsfED (resized).jpg

https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=272

#1888 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Changing gears, I am really not a cocktail cabinet guy, but I would be all in for a 4-player Warlords cocktail.
How sweet would that be?!
[quoted image]

Hmmm, I reconize that house....I think Jay (Owner of machine in pic) has a few of those cabs.

#1889 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm so dumb, thinking about it more.....
The solution is to get a .75 cent encoder wheel, then just cut the extra teeth out until you are left with 8 tics per revolution.
[quoted image][quoted image]
https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=272

Could it be that simple??

#1890 5 years ago

Could it be that simple??

Of course it is.

I must have been in a brain fog or something.

The encoder circuit counts when the beam of light is interrupted.

If the original has 8 tics per revolution, ours needs to have the same number if we want to avoid any additional circuitry.

#1891 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Of course it is.
I must have been in a brain fog or something.
The encoder circuit counts when the beam of light is interrupted.
If the original has 8 tics per revolution, ours needs to have the same number if we want to avoid any additional circuitry.

Does it interpret a rheostat (Used in 1up) the same way as an IR input(Normal spinner)? (Asking because I have no clue)

#1892 5 years ago

Does it interpret a rheostat (Used in 1up)

I don't think it's a rheostat, I think it's a board mount rotary digital encoder:

sku_310402_2 (resized).jpgsku_310402_2 (resized).jpg

Like your old car stereo, where the volume knob would endlessly spin.

#1893 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's probably another thread but what is wrong with redemption games?
\

They pretty much pushed actual games out of the arcades. That's pretty much all that most "Arcades" have now a days.

#1894 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I don't think it's a rheostat, I think it's a board mount digital encoder:
[quoted image]

It's the Keyes 040 Rotary Encoder. Apparently a device used in many Arduino projects.
Here's a user manual for it:
http://henrysbench.capnfatz.com/henrys-bench/arduino-sensors-and-input/keyes-ky-040-arduino-rotary-encoder-user-manual/

#1895 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I don't think it's a rheostat, I think it's a board mount rotary digital encoder:
[quoted image]

Ahh..OK, saw "rheostat" being mentioned in 1UP talk...

#1896 5 years ago

I watched a couple videos of people modifiying the SpinTrac to work in the A1UP and although it looks time consuming it is also a way to add a real spinner for less than $100 which is somewhat tempting. Are any of these other options significantly cheaper than that vid1900 ?

#1897 5 years ago

Does it interpret a rheostat (Used in 1up) the same way as an IR input(Normal spinner)? (Asking because I have no clue)

I can tell you that the SpinTrak drops in and works fine other than the sensitivity issue.

#1898 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

[quoted image]

You mean like my current car stereo...

#1899 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

. Are any of these other options significantly cheaper than that

Encoder wheel .75 cents

Dead VCR (for shaft, heavy flywheel and sealed bearings) free

Dead mouse (for encoder reader IR) free

Badass aluminum knob $15

-

The bearings in an old VCR are super high quality, so the knob will spin smoother than glass.

k18large (resized).jpgk18large (resized).jpg
#1900 5 years ago

Crap how many VCRs have I thrown out and I didn't take those parts out.

There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/38?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.