• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg
There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 63.
#1801 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

No need to be sorry, I'm not arguing for or against the mini 1up arcades. They aren't for nerd like me and I'm ok with that. Again just correcting something said that was wrong. I made my decisions to not compromise a long time ago so I have all types of cab LCD CRT horz vert don't matter I play on device which will best suit each game. I'll give you clue which one I like more . [quoted image]

ahhhh i want those candy cabs

#1802 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

I made my decisions to not compromise a long time ago so I have all types of cab LCD CRT horz vert don't matter I play on device which will best suit each game. I'll give you clue which one I like more

What’s the black cab? Delta32?

#1803 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

ahhhh i want those candy cabs

My garage last night: 283EB473-0C05-450A-94BE-25A0C22113FD (resized).jpeg283EB473-0C05-450A-94BE-25A0C22113FD (resized).jpeg

I love candies, but mostly I like games that get played. Cabs that sit there unused are sad. MAME, LCD, CRT, whatever, if people enjoy them I’m all for it. Snobbery is pointless.

#1804 5 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Holy crap!! I hope you just placed those monitors out for the picture, and if so thanks for the effort. After a pinball/beer/bourbon marathon it would be tough gettin' safely to the stairs, lol.

Truthfully that's not even all of them . I had them all pulled out to reorganize shelving units.

#1805 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What’s the black cab? Delta32?

Chinese vewlix

#1806 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My garage last night: [quoted image]
I love candies, but mostly I like games that get played. Cabs that sit there unused are sad. MAME, LCD, CRT, whatever, if people enjoy them I’m all for it. Snobbery is pointless.

wish i lived on the coast! they never come up for sale in the middle of the country. just not worth shipping them at this point, maybe someday.

#1807 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

Chinese vewlix

I've thought about getting a pair of those to link. Not a lot of point in paying for the real thing if I'm going to gut it and put a PC in it, no real interest in running real JVS stuff.

#1808 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

wish i lived on the coast! they never come up for sale in the middle of the country. just not worth shipping them at this point, maybe someday.

We just pick them on trees out here: https://twitter.com/aurich/status/1084638515575439361

I hear you though, not shipping makes it a hell of a lot easier.

#1809 5 years ago

I'm receiving two more tomorrow from the group buy... Egret 2 and windy 2

But yes, get killed on shipping.

#1810 5 years ago

Just ordered the asteroids cab for my BFF that grew up with one in his bedroom. I remember playing it every time I was over there. He has kids now, so it will be a nice surprise for him

Now to find one for me.....

#1811 5 years ago

Walmart’s near me now have the arcade 1up riser for $39.84

#1812 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

And I will say it again you are wrong. There is no arguing against playing vector games etc because that technology isn't the same at all. That we can of course agree on. When it comes to a normal raster CRT based game designed to run at 15k, 24k, 31k etc you can play them exactly without compromise. You can recreate the exact same video output signal from a computer that you can as the original board. The size of the Mon you display it on is completely irrelevant. It doesn't change the signal based on what size it is, 19" 25" etc it's all the exact same...

Just because you can get the image on a monitor does not mean it will 'play them exactly without compromise'.

When you have a pacman with a 19" vertical monitor... playing Simpsons which normally has a 25 horizontal monitor... is not the same experience. Nor is Track and Field which normally has a horizontal orientation.

Yes you can get the picture up - no it will not be without compromise compared to the original experience.

And if your solution is "have multiple cabinets" well then you are simply having a conversation no one is having. The discussion was about a single cabinet being gutted or not to build A MAME... not "what monitors are better for arcade games in general"

#1813 5 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Nice! Tried to buy it but that item is restricted in California... something to do with prop 65... *%#!?#*!!

Get your local GameStop or Walmart to match the price without the Menards rebate - $29.98

#1814 5 years ago

^ or is the Flashback not sold at all in CA?

#1815 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

But yes, get killed on shipping.

That Egret 2 with built in monitor rotation is really cool.

#1816 5 years ago

Hmm....Have to take a look in March.

20190123_124326.jpg20190123_124326.jpg
#1817 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

Nice. Good luck with that, I know there are refunds for repairs for that buy, what you get with a bit lot of cabs though.

#1818 5 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Hmm....Have to take a look in March.
[quoted image]

You should get in good with the broad that runs that department, and see if she'll give you the actual display - that would be badass

#1819 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

You know, we all have kind of elevated standards, being largely maniacs who own pinball machines, but for alot of normals these little mini cabs might be damn cool.

They are good for what they are. If you put in new controls where applicable they really do have a nice footprint and play well. I was completely surprised by that. Yea, its not good for alot of games that is why I have originals but for the price some of the warts can be fixed. I am a cabaret "freak" and these guys fit right in nicely. I have 10 orginal cabarets (Galaga, Ms Pac, Donkey Kong, Battlezone, Missile Command, Centipede/ Millipede, Asteroids/Lunar Lander/Deluxe Asteroids, Tempest, Robotron) and 1 Galaga / Galaxian Arcade1up. So I don't hack my originals I am gonna do a 60-1 and replace parts on the control panel using the 1UP. Great way to not damage an original.

#1820 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Just because you can get the image on a monitor does not mean it will 'play them exactly without compromise'.
When you have a pacman with a 19" vertical monitor... playing Simpsons which normally has a 25 horizontal monitor... is not the same experience. Nor is Track and Field which normally has a horizontal orientation.
Yes you can get the picture up - no it will not be without compromise compared to the original experience.
And if your solution is "have multiple cabinets" well then you are simply having a conversation no one is having. The discussion was about a single cabinet being gutted or not to build A MAME... not "what monitors are better for arcade games in general"

I'm not convinced you have any idea what you're talking about then. What you said is factually untrue, I corrected you. Right now I can go home, pull an arcade board say Street fighter out of my cabinet, put in a computer, and have it run the exact same identical video specs. If what you said were true this wouldn't be possible.

Here's a screenshot of exactly that.

If the argument you are trying to have is what you wrote then you are indeed incorrect.

If you are trying to alter what you said to now be inclusive of every title of every imaginable configuration running on a different configuration perfectly then yes I agree with you that's not possible... But that's not what you stated, nor what I corrected...

As an aside I will say it again screen size has zero bearing on any of this. If you think otherwise then please explain...

Screenshot_20190123-140413 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190123-140413 (resized).png

#1821 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

If you are trying to alter what you said to now be inclusive of every title of every imaginable configuration running on a different configuration perfectly then yes I agree with you that's not possible... But that's not what you stated, nor what I corrected...

Because maybe you jumped into a conversation midstream and wanted to get defensive of defending CRTs instead of following the conversation?

The post you should read is here - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/36#post-4798595 The guy was talking about gutting a cabinet to put the 1up in it. Fytre suggested the monitor would make the full cab worth it.. and as I said, for a MAME cabinet, the monitor is always going to be a compromise.. so why go through the effort of all that work to keep using the CRT.. when its STILL going to be a compromise for the MAME setup.

Not a multi game board... not many cabinets... not a JAMMA swap... a software MAME in a single cabinet.

Go away.

#1822 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Nice. Good luck with that, I know there are refunds for repairs for that buy, what you get with a bit lot of cabs though.

Yes apparently my e2 works, but windy 2 is vert collapse. Bit of a pain but hopefully I can get it sorted. I'll be pulling all the boards for complete overhaul anyway so tracking down the collapse hopefully won't be too bad. Already received partial repair refund based on the non working Mon. It is what it is at this point.

#1823 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

for a MAME cabinet, the monitor is always going to be a compromise.

For the last time no it isn't. That is a very simple fact.

Something tells me you think mame is somehow inherently inclusive of everyone running a bunch of configurations of a million different games that weren't designed to operate in one cabinet together. Maybe that's where you have your head stuck up your ass. Mame is perfectly capable of non compromised output on a monitor.

#1824 5 years ago

I've been looking for a rampage version of Arcade1Up, but no Walmart in WA seems to be carrying one. Gamestop still has the Asteroids cabinet for $150, so I pulled a trigger on that thinking it's a pretty good deal. I'll still keep an eye on the Rampage, but it's nice to get a new toy in the gameroom

#1825 5 years ago

brad808 do you think that it would be wise to put the arcade1up hardware into a gutted crt cabinet? Yes or no.

That is the basis for this whole monitor discussion. I think your so backed up into a corner defending how great crt monitors are, that you don’t see the forest through the trees and that your missing the debate entirely. Like it’s gone over your head.

No one disputes that crt monitors are a good thing. They’re just not practical for each situation, like in this case, putting arcade1up hardware into a crt cab.

And to answer my own question. No, I don’t think it’s worth hooking up arcade1up hardware to a crt cabinet

#1826 5 years ago

vid1900 maybe time to change the title of the thread. Looks like this is turning into some sort of club

#1827 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

brad808 do you think that it would be wise to put the arcade1up hardware into a gutted crt cabinet? Yes or no.
That is the basis for this whole monitor discussion. I think your so backed up into a corner defending how great crt monitors are, that you don’t see the forest through the trees and that your missing the debate entirely. Like it’s gone over your head.
No one disputes that crt monitors are a good thing. They’re just not practical for each situation, like in this case, putting arcade1up hardware into a crt cab.
And to answer my own question. No, I don’t think it’s worth hooking up arcade1up hardware to a crt cabinet

I'm not defending CRTs or LCDs, nor am I going to comment on the mini arcade... I'm correcting an incorrect statement lol. Very simple. Maybe he doesn't know what mame is? He certainly doesn't know that it's capable of and he's misleading people with his ignorance on it. Mame is what creates the signal, it doesn't care what Mon you use. A CRT is simply what completes the uncompromised cycle. Something that many many people do (including myself) which he is saying is impossible.

#1828 5 years ago

vid1900 maybe time to change the title of the thread. Looks like this is turning into some sort of club

I would agree! this should be a club

#1829 5 years ago

Here is the MAME thread.

It might be best to take the CRT monitor arguments there, and leave the discussion here to the toys.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mame-club-everyone-welcome

#1830 5 years ago

OK, so this conversation has gotten above my current nerd level but I've gotta ask.

Isn't MAME in general a compromise also? I thought I had read that MAME doesn't play exactly the same as the real games due to emulation. So are we now drawing at straws that these suck because they have LCD's and and a MAME cab is best as long as you have the right CRT? Don't they both play the same so the only real difference being the scan lines and orientation of the monitor?

I'm truly curious as I completely understood the argument of don't get these but get a real version of the game if you want it to play right but all this talk about MAME has me confused as I thought the 1UP ran off MAME.

#1831 5 years ago

It needs its own subforum!

#1833 5 years ago

anyone figured out a way to make the spinner better?

#1834 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

anyone figured out a way to make the spinner better?

I may just make a real one with a US Digital encoder, sealed ballbearings and a 6oz flywheel.

I'm just working out a divider-circuit so the tics matches the A1U

#1835 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

OK, so this has conversation has gotten above my current nerd level but I've gotta ask.
Isn't MAME in general a compromise also? I thought I had read that MAME doesn't play exactly the same as the real games due to emulation. So are we now drawing at straws that these suck because they have LCD's and and a MAME cab is best as long as you have the right CRT? Don't they both play the same so the only real difference being the scan lines and orientation of the monitor?
I'm truly curious as I completely understood the argument of don't get these but get a real version of the game if you want it to play right but all this talk about MAME has me confused as I thought the 1UP ran off MAME.

I'll leave the mame for now out of this thread since I know it's not the threads purpose but anyone can feel free to p.m. me to discuss or more information about the mame stuff. if for some reason I get pulled back into a public discussion I'll just hook up my oscilloscope and side by side the signals from my mame setup with some real boards and show them displaying on the proper CRT Mon (which I've already done in tests) (this is in regard to the whole previous conversation). Pretty simple and hard to refute with no knowledge. mame vs real hardware is a very different and long conversation.

#1836 5 years ago

I was planning to convert my Asteroids cab, but when I ask my daughter what she wants to watch me play, she says, "the spider web game!", referring to Tempest.

Also, the pod in Lunar Lander is an ice cream cone.

I may have to keep it as is, but I sure could use a better spinner.

#1837 5 years ago

I have 1 CRT TV that I use for retro consoles, but i dont have the space for full arcade cabinets. I have space for 4 or 5 full size games, I'd like to keep that for pins.

Same here. I managed to snag an Emerson 20" set for $5 at a GoodWill with both analog and digital tuning. It has no problem with optical guns.

#1838 5 years ago

Ooof, my Walmart is still sitting on a big pile of these at $299. Pacman down to $200. Do they always clearance these things or would inventory just be moved elsewhere? I'd be in on a Rampage at $150 if it ever gets to that point. Loved that game growing up.

#1839 5 years ago

I don’t want this to become a MAME thread.

This is the Arcade1up fans and owners club. The games in the title are “like so 2018”. It’s tile for mortal Kombat and golden tee.

#1840 5 years ago

It’s tile for mortal Kombat and golden tee.

I agree!

77A790D6-DAC2-4C37-ABA6-37AC1D5B7659 (resized).jpeg77A790D6-DAC2-4C37-ABA6-37AC1D5B7659 (resized).jpeg
#1841 5 years ago

Married Dad here reporting . Built this with my kids today. First took apart the control panel to spray it like Luckydogg420

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/36#post-4799270

I had to use gloss and I think it turned out great. Yeah I am not the best with a spray can but I think I accomplished the job good enough for what it is and it will be protected. Kids had a lot of fun building it as well as I did and it plays great. The spinner is garbage but it works and I might upgrade it later or research the penny trick or adding washers that I have seen on the Facebook fan page. $150 I will say this is well worth that in entertainment value. It’s nice having a fun retro cabinet that’s brand new and smells good.

When the table tops come out I will surely buy one and try and put a raspberry pi in it or something. My girls want frogger and I wouldn’t mind Donkey Kong and Space Ace if I can figure out how to get that going. Too Cool and I give these cabs a big thumbs up.

D0B386FA-FBB3-455F-B982-91291089CF53 (resized).jpegD0B386FA-FBB3-455F-B982-91291089CF53 (resized).jpeg

#1842 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Atari Flashback 9 is on sale for $26.69 @ Menards.
110 games included.
SD card slot to load pirate games (Custer's Revenge anyone?).
2 controllers included.
https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/home-electronics/small-electronics/atari-flashback-reg-9-classic-game-console/ar3220/p-1492064302826-c-6299.htm?tid=7746258983498938381&ipos=1[quoted image][quoted image]

I figured out all the SD card stuff:

SD card 16gig or smaller.

Format SD card to FAT32

Make a folder called "game" in lower case

Put your .bin or .a26 games in the game folder.

Make sure the names of the games don't have spaces or any crazy characters.

You can get 2548 ROM images from the Bay or d/l them one at a time from cool roms.

#1843 5 years ago

Has Anybody built custom risers? I'm probably going to build one long riser to hold up to 10 of these, and make it slightly higher than the arcade 1up ones. Any good pics of these set up?

#1844 5 years ago

This entire thread is sacreligiuos; I'm heading back to KLOV...

I get it, you guys like that these are novel, shrunken semi-accurate representations of the real thing; but they aren't....Playing street fighter on a control panel that has barely enough room for one player to comfortably play, let alone two; on a cabinet that rocks back and forth when you throw fireballs is BS...And LCD's in an Arcade cab are poop, period.

#1845 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I get it, you guys like that these are novel, shrunken semi-accurate representations of the real thing; but they aren't....Playing street fighter on a control panel that has barely enough room for one player to comfortably play, let alone two; on a cabinet that rocks back and forth when you throw fireballs is BS...And LCD's in an Arcade cab are poop, period.

Let it go, man.

#1846 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Sacreligiuos is the new imamaculate.

#1847 5 years ago

Don’t know about Street Fighter but my Asteroids cabinet is pretty damn sturdy and I don’t see it rocking at all. Guess you could always put a cinder block in the bottom of your cabinet

#1848 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I figured out all the SD card stuff:
SD card 16gig or smaller.
Format SD card to FAT32
Make a folder called "game" in lower case
Put your .bin or .a26 games in the game folder.
Make sure the names of the games don't have spaces or any crazy characters.
You can get 2548 ROM images from the Bay or d/l them one at a time from cool roms.

I think that the 500 or so USA 2600 game roms take up a grand total of about 3 MB of space LOL. I just play them on an emulator every once in a while, nostalgia aside, they just aren't that great. Crap I wish I had all the money back I blew on the game and the cartridges in the 80s though.

#1849 5 years ago

I don't think you do

#1850 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

.And LCD's in an Arcade cab are poop, period.

Been to an arcade in the last decade?

5238_galaga-assault (resized).jpg5238_galaga-assault (resized).jpg
There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/37?hl=oshara and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.