• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg

There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 63.
#1751 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

hit em with a hair dryer for a couple seconds like a woman, then put em on with your hands like a man.

Yep.

#1752 5 years ago

I came for honest reviews of the product. I stayed to watch Vid mercilessly skewer trolls and arcade purists.

#1753 5 years ago

Post more about hot, single, 40 yr old moms!

I'm getting hungry for a nice meal for 2 @ Applebees!

#1754 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Absolutely.
Of course, you will try to pick apart every point, trying to say that you once saw a MK2 cab for $50, everyone has a bin full of trackballs, and an extra Pi on their desk, and a full woodshop, but I'm going see what it would cost TODAY.
Let's take a realistic look:
-
Cab
Moms everywhere are putting the A1U in the living room, so your build can't be a blown-out cab with water damage along the bottom, and missing decals and T-molding.
It's got to obviously look good.
Looking on CL, the cheapest cab with a working, unburnt vert monitor was a working Scramble. Most of the other listings were missing the monitor, or were "unknown if monitor works", but this one says unburnt.
Pics look good as far as cab condition.
Guy is asking $350, I assume I can chew him down to $300 because the ad is almost a month old.
There were literally no other cabs with working unburnt monitors under $350, and I live in a metro area of millions of subhumans.
Not including your time, truck rental and gas, it looks like $300 here.
[quoted image]
-
Next, you've got to buy a computer to run it.
You mentioned you use Pi2JAMMA
That's $37 shipped.
Add $9 JAMMA cable to convert Scramble into standard JAMMA
Add the Pi, Pi power supply, SD card and mounting ring $47 shipped
Add power strip to supply power inside the cab, and we are at $100
-
The cab is going to need paint, primer and Bondo to look new.
I would shoot 2part auto paint, but you seem like a rattle can kind of guy, so primer & paint cans $30
Bondo $18
Sandpaper $12
The cab will need new Tmolding $20
The cab will need new graphics $120
I'd keep the Scramble Marquee, but if you want something different $45
Not including a ton of your time, you've got an easy $225 here
-
Next you need a control panel. I assume that most single mom's dont have a router or a bunch of hole-saw bits to make large holes for Joysticks, trackballs & buttons; let alone cutting out the panel itself.
Although not crazy deluxe, the XArcade seems like a solid choice for only $200 shipped
[quoted image]
-
Now most single moms are not fluent in Linux, so add a few hours on learning how to navigate the OS, formatting the card, finding an old USB keyboard, maybe finding an image already built, googling instructions, choosing just the games she wants (so she does not have to scroll through 50 versions of some Asian game she's never heard of).
Add a few hours in wiring the cab's speaker to the Pi, the controls to the Pi, troubleshooting the mapout, focusing the monitor, centering the image on the monitor, attaching the control panel to the cab, mounting the Pi, putting a non flickering bulb behind the marquee.
You want to move the power switch to the front of the machine, then wire it to the power strip.
-
If the 40 year old monitor kicks the bucket after a few weeks, most single mothers would not be able to service it, or even get it out of the cab.
Our 300lb Scramble cab is huge and can't just be picked up and moved to another room to make room for the christmas tree - especially by a single parent.
-
So we spent well over $800 and probably 30 hours of labor trying to go as cheaply as possible and still have a new looking cab that could be in the livingroom and not the garage.
Even if you only make $20 a hour, you've blown $1400, and many weeks of labor, research, frustration troubleshooting.
How many single mothers want to do any of the above, compared to just spending $200 and getting a brand new toy they can order with a single click, and pick up and carry???
(think before you post, you don't want to sound foolish)

This is depressing. I just learned that I have more in common with a single mom then I thought

#1755 5 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Post more about hot, single, 40 yr old moms!
I'm getting hungry for a nice meal for 2 @ Applebees!

so mom is sick in bed today?

#1756 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Absolutely.
Of course, you will try to pick apart every point, trying to say that you once saw a MK2 cab for $50, everyone has a bin full of trackballs, and an extra Pi on their desk, and a full woodshop, but I'm going see what it would cost TODAY.
-
Cab
Moms everywhere are putting the A1U in the living room, so your build can't be a blown-out cab with water damage along the bottom, and missing decals and T-molding.
Looking on CL, the cheapest cab with a working, unburnt vert monitor was a working Scramble. Most of the other listings were missing the monitor, or were "unknown if monitor works", but this one says unburnt.
Guy is asking $350, I assume I can chew him down to $300 because the ad is almost a month old.
There were literally no other cabs with working unburnt monitors under $350, and I live in a metro area of millions of subhumans.
[quoted image]
-
That's $37 shipped.
-
I would shoot 2part auto paint, but you seem like a rattle can kind of guy, so primer & paint cans $30
Bondo $18
Sandpaper $12
-
Next you need a control panel. I assume that most single mom's dont have a router or a bunch of hole-saw bits to make large holes for Joysticks, trackballs & buttons; let alone cutting out the panel itself.
Although not crazy deluxe, the XArcade seems like a solid choice for only $200 shipped
[quoted image]
-
Now most single moms are not fluent in Linux, so add a few hours on learning how to navigate the OS, formatting the card, finding an old USB keyboard, maybe finding an image already built, googling instructions, choosing just the games she wants (so she does not have to scroll through 50 versions of some Asian game she's never heard of).
Add a few hours in wiring the cab's speaker to the Pi, the controls to the Pi, troubleshooting the mapout, focusing the monitor, centering the image on the monitor, attaching the control panel to the cab, mounting the Pi, putting a non flickering bulb behind the marquee.
You want to move the power switch to the front of the machine, then wire it to the power strip.
-
If the 40 year old monitor kicks the bucket after a few weeks, most single mothers would not be able to service it, or even get it out of the cab.
Our 300lb Scramble cab is huge and can't just be picked up and moved to another room to make room for the christmas tree - especially by a single parent.
-
So we spent well over $800 and probably 30 hours of labor trying to go as cheaply as possible and still have a new looking cab that could be in the livingroom and not the garage.
Even if you only make $20 a hour, you've blown $1400, and many weeks of labor, research, frustration troubleshooting.
How many single mothers want to do any of the above, compared to just spending $200 and getting a brand new toy they can order with a single click, and pick up and carry???

On a side note, IU'm going to throw this out there:

If you have a decent cabinet (minus a monitor maybe), would it be practical to take the electronics from a 1Up Arcade and mount them in the cabinet?

#1757 5 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I stayed to watch Vid mercilessly skewer trolls and arcade purists.

It's a toy.

It's not like a perfect replica that is somehow hurting the arcade collecting hobby by confusing collectors.

In fact, probably nothing has destroyed more real arcade game than people turning them into MAME cabs, lol

#1758 5 years ago

Interesting thought, I have a Ms Pac cab with 2 buttons, spinner, and trackball. Old platter HDD died and have let it sit for years.

#1759 5 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

If you have a decent cabinet (minus a monitor maybe), would it be practical to take the electronics from a 1Up Arcade and mount them in the cabinet?

Maybe.

The thing to watch for is how large the opening is for the old monitor.

Some cabs have a vac-molded cowl that puts the monitor farther back in the cab, so consider how the monitor will be mounted.

#1760 5 years ago

yeah but you'd likely end up with worst of both worlds..

What makes a full size arcade cab worth it is the control panel and controls.. which you'd be rebuilding anyways vs being able to reuse the 1up's bits. You'd be paying $100-200 for a closed system emulator... and still have to heavily modify the cab to get the monitor and controls in place. At that point, just put the effort into making the 1up cab better for your use.

The 1up's value is in 'how far you get... for almost nothing' for the trade-off of no expansion and cheaper cabinet+controls. But a 1up won't drop into a full size cabinet without a lot of work for the monitor and CP.

#1761 5 years ago

your-scientists-were-so-preoccupied-with-whether-or-not-they-28462485 (resized).pngyour-scientists-were-so-preoccupied-with-whether-or-not-they-28462485 (resized).png
#1762 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

99% of the market for these doesn’t understand what your saying.
98% of the market understands but doesn’t want to be bothered. They just want it now and have fun with it at a low cost.

I dont disagree with any of this, never have. He just always embellishes the difficulty and cost of a MAME cab. Spoiler alert: I dont have a mame cab anymore. All my machines are actual hardware (well, excluding my mini vpin) but Ive built enough to know they can be done for far less than a grand, especially if its going to be pi powered.

Quoted from vid1900:

I'm not sure if your only source of family is Leave It To Beaver reruns, but a huge section of the US population is single moms or households headed by women (just look at one of A1U first outlets was: Bed Bath Beyond).

Look closer.
The Centipede cab is vert, the SF is Horiz.
Of course the 12in1 had some compromises, but there is no way around that if you want to offer people that popular mix.

Yep.
But a many times the price, and a few months of time dicking around. (I know, I have 2 of them).
Anyone who wants a MAME, probably already built one.
A1U is not marketed towards people who already built a MAME.

It's a toy, not a commercial arcade machine.
It costs the same as a nice dinner for 2
If you feel it has "quality issues" that you can't see past, don't buy it.
If you feel "limited" by it, don't buy it.

I've posted the stats of how many families are single mother led before, no point in retreading. You can't say I'm incorrect about A1Ups running horizontal and vertical games on the same monitor, then cite the exact example I was talking about proving that I was correct. I also showed you that Bed Bath and Beyond wasnt one of the first outlets for the machines, but Im tired of talking in circles about it.

And then you cement my point in place. A1ups aren't geared for people who can build a MAME. So stop using a MAME cab as a basis of comparison.

Ahhh out of context joke , those are always zingers!

Quoted from jwo825:

I came for honest reviews of the product. I stayed to watch Vid mercilessly skewer trolls and arcade purists.

Oh except Im neither of those. I agree with him that these are super neat toys. I'm also far from a purist, I put Area 51 /Maximum force into an America's Army cab!

Quoted from vid1900:

Absolutely.
-
Cab
[quoted image]
-
That's $37 shipped.
-
Bondo $18
Sandpaper $12
-
[quoted image]
-
-
-
So we spent well over $800 in parts alone and probably 30 hours of labor trying to go as cheaply as possible and still have a new looking cab that could be in the livingroom and not the garage.
Even if you only make $20 a hour, you've blown $1400, and many weeks of labor, research, frustration & troubleshooting.

You say "lets take a realistic look" then paint this worst case scenario picture of everything that could go wrong. So I'll just reiterate, these arent made to be real arcade machines or as complete as a MAME cab; so stop using a MAME cab as your basis of comparison.

A more realistic price would be about 300 for a Jamma cab , $150 for a PI2JAMMA, and 100 in paint and stickers. so about 550. A pi2JAMMA plugs into the JAMMA harness and gets its power from there.

Just curious, why do you think Im a rattle can guy?

#1763 5 years ago

Guy on you tube had an idea to use 1/2 in dance floor tape to simulate t molding. Looks pretty good. Also the screw holes were bothering me so bought some caps at home decal. Cleans up the assembly holes well.

B65F4129-A305-4F89-83B6-1BECE3779989 (resized).jpegB65F4129-A305-4F89-83B6-1BECE3779989 (resized).jpegE51DCF9D-A0A8-4C0B-8B0D-CB2E19C07F84 (resized).jpegE51DCF9D-A0A8-4C0B-8B0D-CB2E19C07F84 (resized).jpegEC8AAF34-CCF7-4DDB-B0AC-4DE88F657BDD (resized).jpegEC8AAF34-CCF7-4DDB-B0AC-4DE88F657BDD (resized).jpeg
#1764 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

then you cement my point

I dont even know what your point is?

That you dont like arcade1up cabs? or that you can build something better; therefore everyone should build something better? or that only real arcades are worthwhile and magically there will he enough old stock for everyone to get a real arcade like you have?

We get it, you dont like them, but what's your point?

#1765 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

So stop using a MAME cab as a basis of comparison.

Arcade1Ups are MAME cabs, so if you choose to keep buzzing around like a fly at a picnic, I expect you will see many mentions of MAME and MAME cabs.

#1766 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I dont even know what your point is?
That you dont like arcade1up cabs? or that you can build something better; therefore everyone should build something better? or that only real arcades are worthwhile and magically there will he enough old stock for everyone to get a real arcade like you have?
We get it, you dont like them, but what's your point?

That he should stop comparing them to MAME / Arcade cabs and in the same breath call them toys. They are toys are really neat ones at that. I wish I had something like it when I was a kid.

I feel that A1up cabs are a great entry point into the hobby with few obstacles and a really low entry fee. Wish quality was better though.
While I actually can build something better , not sure I ever made the the purpose of any of my posts. I've seen CrapMAME, no way would I ever think everyone should build an arcade. Never said only real machines are worth having nor did I say there's no value in these especially as a toy.

What I don't like the ad naseum repetition of saying they are better than a real machine because every single mother in America should buy one so they can move it without the help of an absentee father when the Christmas tree has to go up.

Quoted from vid1900:

Arcade1Ups are MAME cabs, so if you choose to keep buzzing around like a fly at a picnic, I expect you will see many mentions of MAME and MAME cabs.

BBBBZzzzzzzz.......

Well if we're being super technical they are MAME powered cabs that violate the MAME license running hardware on par with a Pandora's Box . You'll also be wrong when the season 2 cabs come out and they are running only the commercial moo emulator instead of MAME

Dunno why youre so downvotey with me, we agree with pretty much everything about the A1up cabs except what counts as a good comparison.

#1767 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Dunno why youre so downvotey with me

Only because you are the fly crawling on shlt all day long, then you come over and land on everybody's food.

Other than that, you are alright.

#1768 5 years ago

I'd be down for a Centipede, but not at 299. There is zero movement on price in the Chicago area. MSRP across the board for all models, sans the online Gamestop deal for Asteroids. I want one of these little freak show/non-arcade/arcade/Ikea/controversy machines. All the trackballs!

#1769 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:What I don't like the ad naseum repetition of saying they are better than a real machine

They are not real arcade machines.

Are they lighter in weight, easier to service, less smelly, and lead free? - yes indeed they are.

But they are still cheap toys, no matter the perceived benefits or marketing segments they serve.

Quoted from Malenko:

Just curious, why do you think Im a rattle can guy?

Your illogical, scattershot, trying-to-find-any-negative posts remind me of a huffer.

#1770 5 years ago

Those are my exact feelings on the machines. Again, we agree about what the machines are pretty much 100%.
Sorry to disappoint, but I don't abuse toluene and I don't accuse people who disagree with me of using drugs either.

Here's the last cab I did any work on, no rattle cans in sight!
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,152600.0.html

It was the last restore I'll likely ever do, kind of bittersweet that I just sold it

#1771 5 years ago

Received my Asteroids from GameStop, opened it up but no protector in the box...hopefully it doesn’t take long to receive it. I will assemble tomorrow.

#1772 5 years ago

I just shot mine with some clear coat, it Looks alright.

73BED7A8-BB02-416B-9C3C-4A32BC42AA20 (resized).jpeg73BED7A8-BB02-416B-9C3C-4A32BC42AA20 (resized).jpeg
#1773 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

What makes a full size arcade cab worth it is the control panel and controls..

And the real arcade CRT monitor with real scanlines. Don’t forget the scanlines.

#1774 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

And the real arcade CRT monitor with real scanlines. Don’t forget the scanlines.

nah, when talking MAME your monitor is always a compromise... not the right size... orientation... resolution... etc. In that case, accept that LCD will be more reliable, lighter, and burn free

#1775 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

nah, when talking MAME your monitor is always a compromise... not the right size... orientation... resolution... etc. In that case, accept that LCD will be more reliable, lighter, and burn free

That's not true though. You can run the exact resolution, exact horizontal sync frequency, and exact vertical refresh frequency of the original boards on CRTs.

#1776 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

That's not true though. You can run the exact resolution, exact horizontal sync frequency, and exact vertical refresh frequency of the original boards on CRTs.

I'm sure there's got to be some odd game that wont display properly, like any arcade that came with a vector monitor or LCD monitor.

CRT might be ideal for most games but even having it in the cab as 4:3 vs 3:4 will make games look wrong.

#1777 5 years ago

Mine gets delivered today, or at least it's supposed to, but we all know how UPS is with deliveries. Hopefully I'll have a chance to put it together tonight and report back tomorrow.

#1778 5 years ago

I just shot mine with some clear coat, it Looks alright.[quoted image]

Maybe I will just do this

#1779 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I’m hoping they are, at the very least, giving you a 1/4 point per unit sold.

I wish I had a buck for every "single mom" reference.

#1780 5 years ago

I'm sure there's got to be some odd game that wont display properly, like any arcade that came with a vector monitor or LCD monitor.
CRT might be ideal for most games but even having it in the cab as 4:3 vs 3:4 will make games look wrong.

True... But what resolution are vector games . That can't really fit into the conversation at all. Completely different technology. And yes obviously if you decide for some reason you are going to purposefully run a game in the wrong orientation of course it will look weird... Not really sure why anyone would do that and then be surprised it wasn't right though.

#1781 5 years ago
Quoted from racer_x:

I wish I had a buck for every "single mom" reference.

You could head to the local Marshall's or TJ Maxx to buy yourself an Arcade1Up!

#1782 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

Yes... For a finite set. But there are dozens of different combinations. A 19” vertical tube playing a horizontal monitor game is not the same as the horizontal setup. One monitor can’t be everything.

#1783 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes... For a finite set. But there are dozens of different combinations. A 19” vertical tube playing a horizontal monitor game is not the same as the horizontal setup. One monitor can’t be everything.

I understand that but why would you think otherwise? Why would anyone expect otherwise? That's the same thing luckydogg420 said. Maybe I'm missing something? Of course if you run a vertical game in horizontal your image won't be correct... Is that not blatantly obvious to everyone? Has there been anyone that said otherwise?

#1784 5 years ago

I made my MAME cabinet rotate the LCD, its dead easy as they are so light. People do with CRTs as well but it takes a lot more effort. I spun mine with a 12v motor and two cut off switches.

#1785 5 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

You could head to the local Marshall's or TJ Maxx to buy yourself an Arcade1Up!

Tons of single moms and a few GILFs there too.

#1786 5 years ago

Ugh, I just got my deck protector for Centipede, and it doesn't fit. The holes are all off. I can't get it to sit properly at all. I just emailed them. Hopefully, they can send a new one promptly.

#1787 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

I understand that but why would you think otherwise? Why would anyone expect otherwise? That's the same thing luckydogg420 said. Maybe I'm missing something? Of course if you run a vertical game in horizontal your image won't be correct... Is that not blatantly obvious to everyone? Has there been anyone that said otherwise?

Yes actually.

I said when using a original cab and monitor for make you always have a compromise.. I said “when talking MAME your monitor is always a compromise... not the right size... orientation... resolution..”

To which he told me that’s not true. And we’ve all just agreed the monitor setup is not universal... so yes, picking one crt setup will NOT be an exact match for all your mame titles.

When talking mame... the main benefits of an original monitor are mostly lost because the monitor only matches some setups. Might as well take the advantages the lcd gives you.. and live with the middle of the road solution. The weight, power, and reliability are worth it.

#1788 5 years ago
#1789 5 years ago

Atari Flashback 9 is on sale for $26.69 @ Menards.

110 games included.

SD card slot to load pirate games (Custer's Revenge anyone?).

2 controllers included.

https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/home-electronics/small-electronics/atari-flashback-reg-9-classic-game-console/ar3220/p-1492064302826-c-6299.htm?tid=7746258983498938381&ipos=1

301-8378,8379-atariandsegaflashbacks2(14of16) (resized).jpg301-8378,8379-atariandsegaflashbacks2(14of16) (resized).jpg301-8378-atariflashback(3of8) (resized).jpg301-8378-atariflashback(3of8) (resized).jpg
#1790 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Atari Flashback 9 is on sale for $26.69 @ Menards.
110 games included.
SD card slot to load pirate games (Custer's Revenge anyone?).
2 controllers included.
https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/home-electronics/small-electronics/atari-flashback-reg-9-classic-game-console/ar3220/p-1492064302826-c-6299.htm?tid=7746258983498938381&ipos=1[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! Tried to buy it but that item is restricted in California... something to do with prop 65... *%#!?#*!!

#1791 5 years ago

My buddy just bought the Asteroids / Tempest game and I put it together for him as he plans to surprise his family with it. It did not come with a protecor and one of the buttons don't work at all. I haven't had time to take the control panel back out to troubleshoot that problem yet but in the very short time I played it I will say it's not bad for the $$ but that "spinner" really needs to be improved. Not only doesn't it actually spin but it isn't even reliably registering, I could get past the first issue but the second one is pretty bad. Also the very first time I believe I've ever seen the game "Major Havoc", looks like it might be pretty much fun if I can get the buttons all working. Anyone had any luck getting service from them for an issue like this (button not working) right out of the box?

#1792 5 years ago

Mine got delivered yesterday and I spent some time putting it together. The unfortunate thing is that the screen overlay was damaged at some point during packaging. I know I didn't do it since it's on the inside between the protector and the screen.

Additionally, my monitor needs to be replaced since it has a pile of pink pixels that don't go away. There was also some damage to the artwork on both sides and on the the control pad. Let's just say, that the quality of the decals pretty much sucks ass. If I would have paid $300, I'd be pissed, but I can swallow the nicks in the artwork since I only paid $150. I'm not thrilled, but I'm not going to flip out about the artwork.

As far as build, it's more solid than I expected. Assembly was a piece of cake and the directions were some of the best I've seen for the "put together yourself furniture".

One thing I do have to say is the damn thing is freakin' short. I thought I remembered reading that it was supposed to be 3/4 scale. Not sure where they are getting that number, because there is no way.

Also, the spinner is a piece of crap and that's coming from someone that hasn't used a spinner since the arcade days 25 years ago.

Screen Issues 1 (resized).JPGScreen Issues 1 (resized).JPG

#1793 5 years ago

Just to follow up. I sent them an email at 9:04am about the monitor and overlay. At 9:24am I got a response asking for my shipping address so they could send out the parts. That's pretty damn impressive if you ask me....

#1794 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes actually.
I said when using a original cab and monitor for make you always have a compromise.. I said “when talking MAME your monitor is always a compromise... not the right size... orientation... resolution..”
To which he told me that’s not true. And we’ve all just agreed the monitor setup is not universal... so yes, picking one crt setup will NOT be an exact match for all your mame titles.
When talking mame... the main benefits of an original monitor are mostly lost because the monitor only matches some setups. Might as well take the advantages the lcd gives you.. and live with the middle of the road solution. The weight, power, and reliability are worth it.

And I will say it again you are wrong. There is no arguing against playing vector games etc because that technology isn't the same at all. That we can of course agree on. When it comes to a normal raster CRT based game designed to run at 15k, 24k, 31k etc you can play them exactly without compromise. You can recreate the exact same video output signal from a computer that you can as the original board. The size of the Mon you display it on is completely irrelevant. It doesn't change the signal based on what size it is, 19" 25" etc it's all the exact same...

As an example. I can have two CRT cabinets with trisync monitors, one vertical and one horizontal. And play every single raster based game without compromise and have them display exactly as they would from the original board

I have two LCD cabs side by side one vertical, one horizontal. And I cannot. They simply cannot sync to the original signal forcing conversion and artifacts like screen tearing)

The one exception to this is configuring multiple freesync LCDs... And even at that point unfortunately you are still left with a system which costs substantially more, looks worse and is stuck with other issues that simply can't be overcome due to the nature of LCD technology. Lag, lack of phosphur glow etc.

PS yes I know people in here don't care, just simply correcting something that was said that's just incorrect. I'm fully aware I'm nerd.

#1795 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

And I will say it again you are wrong. There is no arguing against playing vector games etc because that technology isn't the same at all. That we can of course agree on. When it comes to a normal raster CRT based game designed to run at 15k, 24k, 31k etc you can play them exactly without compromise. You can recreate the exact same video output signal from a computer that you can as the original board. The size of the Mon you display it on is completely irrelevant. It doesn't change the signal based on what size it is, 19" 25" etc it's all the exact same...
As an example. I can have two CRT cabinets with trisync monitors, one vertical and one horizontal. And play every single raster based game without compromise and have them display exactly as they would from the original board
I have two LCD cabs side by side one vertical, one horizontal. And I cannot. They simply cannot sync to the original signal forcing conversion and artifacts like screen tearing)
The one exception to this is configuring multiple freesync LCDs... And even at that point unfortunately you are still left with a system which costs substantially more, looks worse and is stuck with other issues that simply can't be overcome due to the nature of LCD technology. Lag, lack of phosphur glow etc.
PS yes I know people in here don't care, just simply correcting something that was said that's just incorrect. I'm fully aware I'm nerd.

I think the confusion and debate here is that (at least I thought) your point of view was for someone having ONE mame cabinet. With ONE mame cabinet you can run everything all at once; true. But with ONE mame cabinet you would need to compromise (vertical vs horizontal) in some way to play everything all at once.

It is true. You are correct. It you have 6 arcade cabs (vector vert, vector, hor, CRT vert, CRT hor, LCD vert, LCD hor) you dont need to compromise with picture quality.

I was under the assumption that your argument was for JUST ONE cabinet. But then were back at the space saving argument. Its ciclicle, arcade 1up games are not trying to compete with real cabinets. Your the 2% of the market that these are not marketed for, sorry.

#1796 5 years ago

I think the confusion and debate here is that (at least I thought) your point of view was for someone having ONE mame cabinet. With ONE mame cabinet you can run everything all at once; true. But with ONE mame cabinet you would need to compromise (vertical vs horizontal) in some way to play everything all at once.
It is true. You are correct. It you have 6 arcade cabs (vector vert, vector, hor, CRT vert, CRT hor, LCD vert, LCD hor) you dont need to compromise with picture quality.
I was under the assumption that your argument was for JUST ONE cabinet. But then were back at the space saving argument. Its ciclicle, arcade 1up games are not trying to compete with real cabinets. Your the 2% of the market that these are not marketed for, sorry.

I have one horizontal tri-sync arcade monitor in my MAME cab and it works surprisingly well for standard res vertical monitor games also. There's really no comparison between it and an LCD prjoection, I'll take mine anyday.

Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Mine got delivered yesterday and I spent some time putting it together. The unfortunate thing is that the screen overlay was damaged at some point during packaging. I know I didn't do it since it's on the inside between the protector and the screen.
Additionally, my monitor needs to be replaced since it has a pile of pink pixels that don't go away. There was also some damage to the artwork on both sides and on the the control pad. Let's just say, that the quality of the decals pretty much sucks ass. If I would have paid $300, I'd be pissed, but I can swallow the nicks in the artwork since I only paid $150. I'm not thrilled, but I'm not going to flip out about the artwork.
As far as build, it's more solid than I expected. Assembly was a piece of cake and the directions were some of the best I've seen for the "put together yourself furniture".
One thing I do have to say is the damn thing is freakin' short. I thought I remembered reading that it was supposed to be 3/4 scale. Not sure where they are getting that number, because there is no way.
Also, the spinner is a piece of crap and that's coming from someone that hasn't used a spinner since the arcade days 25 years ago.
[quoted image]

I guess this is what bothers me about these "toys" too, you see guys lining the walls of their basements with them but really you might as well back the delivery truck up to the landfill cause so many are going to be played for a few days, or hours, and then tossed in the trash the minute one of the el-cheapo components fails. I guess particle board will break down in a landfill.

#1797 5 years ago

No need to be sorry, I'm not arguing for or against the mini 1up arcades. They aren't for nerd like me and I'm ok with that. Again just correcting something said that was wrong. I made my decisions to not compromise a long time ago so I have all types of cab LCD CRT horz vert don't matter I play on device which will best suit each game. I'll give you clue which one I like more .

IMG_20181221_102504 (resized).jpgIMG_20181221_102504 (resized).jpg
#1798 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

I'll give you clue which one I like more

Mmmmmm, CRT porn

#1799 5 years ago

I have 1 CRT TV that I use for retro consoles, but i dont have the space for full arcade cabinets. I have space for 4 or 5 full size games, I'd like to keep that for pins.

#1800 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

I'll give you clue which one I like more . [quoted image]

Holy crap!! I hope you just placed those monitors out for the picture, and if so thanks for the effort. After a pinball/beer/bourbon marathon it would be tough gettin' safely to the stairs, lol.

There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/36?hl=lowbeau67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.