• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg
There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 63.
#1701 5 years ago

I like that different art packages will probably be a thing in the future

#1702 5 years ago

Who can guess?

343dIJUNE7

#1703 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I "spun" the spinner at CES....JFC, it isn't a spinner, it is a knob that moves/clicks. it is bad, if the original games actually spun, this isn't anything like it.

The spinner is not a spinner. It is a junk rheostat. Thats probably one of the saddest parts of these piles.

#1704 5 years ago

Donkey Kong would be cool

#1705 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Who can guess?
343dIJUNE7

Huh? Halo?

#1706 5 years ago

I don't understand how there are 35 pages of posts about these. They look like cheap garbage. Only thing that's good about them is that they're inexpensive and disposable. Remind me of these...

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

#1707 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I don't understand how there are 35 pages of posts about these. They look like cheap garbage.

In case your are new to the earth, they are just toys.

#1708 5 years ago

Although they are toys, they are original gameplay to the arcade, unlike those toy pins that have no nostalgia associated with them. These toys scratch an itch for a lot of us.

#1709 5 years ago

For 1k or less you can get a full size game and scratch the same itch. I dunno, just seems like a ton of hype for a toy. I never read all 35pages of posts...shouldn't even have said anything tbh

#1710 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

For 1k or less you can get a full size game and scratch the same itch.

No single mom (the typical household), is going to buy a used, smokey, cat piss smelling, phosphor burnt monitor, 300lb arcade game for her kids.

But a brand new, compact, bright LCD monitor game, delivered to her home by UPS for under $200, is ideal.

Quoted from tomdotcom:

shouldn't even have said anything tbh

True.

But negative people, have to thread piss. They can't help themselves.
file (resized).jpgfile (resized).jpg

#1711 5 years ago

You make some good points. Relax..I will cease the negativity

#1712 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No single mom (the typical household), is going to buy a used, smokey, cat piss smelling, phosphor burnt monitor, 300lb arcade game for her kids.
But a brand new, compact, bright LCD monitor game, delivered to her home by UPS for under $200, is ideal.

True.
[quoted image]

I’m hoping they are, at the very least, giving you a 1/4 point per unit sold.

#1713 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I’m hoping they are, at the very least, giving you a 1/4 point per unit sold.

I buy so many toys for my nieces and nephews, I probably have funded 1/4 of China rising into the middle class.

#1714 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Who can guess?
343dIJUNE7

It’s the Centipede letters spelled backward the way they look on the side of the cab. I don’t know — my wife and I noticed while sitting on the couch last night, and then I couldn’t get that out of my head.

#1715 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

It’s the Centipede letters spelled backward the way they look on the side of the cab. I don’t know — my wife and I noticed while sitting on the couch last night, and then I couldn’t get that out of my head.

Yup, give this guy a prize. I agree, it looks an awful lot a like.
3956E5A1-E5B9-4E41-B526-7C4DB8BA1F24 (resized).png3956E5A1-E5B9-4E41-B526-7C4DB8BA1F24 (resized).png

#1716 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

True.
[quoted image]

In that interview I posted he mentioned that their plan is to take a piece of commercial equipment and reproduce a home model. The quote was something like, these are not for the arcade game collectors these are for the other 98% of people.

He mentioned that the control panel will be made of better material moving forward, and all games will come with a plastic cover from now on.

He also commented of the golden tee trackball, saying that it’s a more robust design, and whenever they find a better product, they will use it going forward with other games. ( I inferred that there are plans for other trackball cabinets.) also it will be a big release for Father’s Day in June.

In May (I think) at E3 they will release their fall lineup of games.

They plan to roll out new games all year long, instead of dropping them all at Christmas time, so that customers have a chance to save funds in between releases.

Each and every retailer that had them last year will be selling them again this year, he mentions that they will have a wider distribution now also.

And the last big thing I heard was that each game will be a “one run and done” release. So when you see it in store get it quick because when they’re sold out, they’re gone for good.

#1717 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

And the last big thing I heard was that each game will be a “one run and done” release. So when you see it in store get it quick because when they’re sold out, they’re gone for good.

As in: we're going to create artificial scarcity, so if you see one on the shelf that you want at full price, don't wait for it to get marked down by half or more.

#1718 5 years ago

Just like Beanie Babies!

#1719 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

You make some good points. Relax..I will cease the negativity

I built a trackball one with a friend a couple of weeks ago. There are issues but quite frankly the game play on some of the games is quite good. I am a huge missile command player (Have a cabby at home) and the Arcade1Up was very good for that game. There were others. I think we a few mods they are fine for the price. There hard to beat for the price and having an arcade toy.

#1720 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I don't understand how there are 35 pages of posts about these. They look like cheap garbage. Only thing that's good about them is that they're inexpensive and disposable. Remind me of these...
[quoted image][quoted image]

You are correct, they are the equivalent of the Zizzle or Stern home pin.

For the space they take up, you are better off getting a real cab with a CRT. At this point, I would rather have one real cab with a CRT, can emulate the rest on MAME, PS4, Switch, etc.

#1721 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

nice! they are all full price with 1 or 2 at 200, near me :/

My wife got me one for Christmas from Walmart 299.00 on box I’ll keep this one to myself I saw this post after I put It together today she also purchased the extension footer. I used to play Asteroids back in the day at Circle K!

#1722 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

For the space they take up, you are better off getting a real cab with a CRT.

In what ways is one better off buying an old, used CRT cab?

Granted, I have some CRT cabs, but:
-They're hard to move in and out of my basement.
-My 2.5-year old daughter can't reach the controls.
-CRTs have burn in and are expensive to replace and require maintenance.
-They required me to go to a sketchy warehouse or a stranger's basement/garage, rather than shipping to my door.
-I don't think any full size cab I would actually want at this point is going to come as cheap.

They're cheap toys, they're fun, and my wife doesn't worry that I've brought bedbugs into the house from a previous owner. I've got a toddler, and she refers to them as her games. I love it.

#1723 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

For the space they take up, you are better off getting a real cab with a CRT.

You are totally missing the market for these.

Top 20 Wallmart toy of 2018.

No single mom is going to search CL to find an old 300 pound cab with the proper monitor orientation, borrow a truck to go get it, repaint it, re-decal it, re-Tmolding it, rebuild the monitor board, drill holes for extra controls, wire up a USB board, buy a RasPi, buy all the buttons and trackballs, get MAME running.......that's months of nonsense that a normal person is not going to do. (let alone it costs $1,000 minimum)

Instead, she is going to make one click of the mouse, and a brand new cab with a dozen games is going to be delivered to her house the next day.

chicks (resized).jpgchicks (resized).jpg
#1724 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

You are correct, they are the equivalent of the Zizzle or Stern home pin.

Not so. Zizzles aren’t full feature pins, nor are they recreations of the original pin. These are faithful, full feature recreations that are just a little smaller.

#1725 5 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

and my wife doesn't worry that I've brought bedbugs into the house from a previous owner.

Glad to hear Im not the only one whose wife worries about bedbugs coming home in a game.
I dont know why anyone would want to be a snob and knock these games, so they aren’t original, who cares...for the most part its just as fun to play them as an original machine.
Its still about the fun, right?

#1726 5 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

As in: we're going to create artificial scarcity, so if you see one on the shelf that you want at full price, don't wait for it to get marked down by half or more.

It's not necessarily "artificial scarcity", but simply as the market saturates for each title, it does not make sense to keep producing a product that no longer sells.

Williams did not keep making Defender. When the market saturated, and sales tapered off, they then released Stargate.

When Pacman sales slowed, they came out with Ms. Pacman

#1727 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's not necessarily "artificial scarcity", but simply as the market saturates for each title, it does not make sense to keep producing a product that no longer sells.

I agree with this point, but it can be difficult to judge the market per title. I hope they don’t under produce Golden Tee, because I think that will do well for Father’s Day. You also dont want to over produce leaving stock on the shelf longer then needed. I can’t see karate champ doing nearly as well as Mortal Kombat; but I also don’t see those two games selling to the same demographic

10 years of game development between the 80’s - 90’s really changed the target markets. Karate champ is for the 50ish crowd while mortal Kombat, I assume would be more for the 40ish year olds like me. I was in high school for the release of mortal Kombat, and have no interest in karate champ.

By continuously releasing a couple older games and newer games each year, they could really stretch out the wave of popularity for a number of years. Let’s say these remain popular for 5 years, if they release 8 cabinets a year (4 announced at CES, more at E3). That’s 40 different cabinets, each with ~3 games. So give or take we could be looking at 100 to 150 of the best games divided into these machines. Now add in the possibility to buy cabinet artwork for your favorite ones and a lot of people will be having basement arcades in the next decade.

Maybe 1% or 2% or those people want to add a pinball to their game room...and this hobby could be fine for a very long time. In part because of these cheap little cabinets. How often do you hear new people to this hobby say they “found pinball through an app on their phone”. Well if phone apps can sell pinball machines, then a wave of new arcade collectors can’t hurt things.

#1728 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Asteroids must have been selling pretty good at Gamestop. Looks like the price is up to $200 now.

If you add it to the cart it’s still $150 thru Feb 2nd

C40D95D3-5907-4B40-9B62-F1F92261EB69 (resized).pngC40D95D3-5907-4B40-9B62-F1F92261EB69 (resized).png
#1729 5 years ago

I'm sure others think the same as me. It seems most of the negative/bashers don't, and never plan on buying/owning these. How bout you spend what you do on a color dmd or any other combo of mods and then speak? I have three and never would have thought to compare them to a real arcade cab, bought 2 at wal-mart and one at TJ Maxx!. You get what you pay for and in this case you get quite a bit based on the price and the space they take up.

#1730 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Williams did not keep making Defender. When the market saturated, and sales tapered off, they then released Stargate.
When Pacman sales slowed, they came out with Ms. Pacman

Still not the same thing as advertising something as limited run and not producing more if the demand is there... they are trying to generate up front demand (likely to counter holding out for the well known discounting that happened with phase one).

#1731 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Still not the same thing as advertising something as limited run and not producing more if the demand is there... they are trying to generate up front demand (likely to counter holding out for the well known discounting that happened with phase one).

They could do **1000 out of every 500,000 toys will be randomly printed with blackout foil artwork** or a Supreme edition that is only red & white, or a Prime edition that sells for $99 but displays Amazon ads when not being played.

How about a limited run of Ms Pacman with Steve Golson's blood added to the ink?

#1732 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They could do **1000 out of every 500,000 toys will be randomly printed with blackout foil artwork** or a Supreme edition that is only red & white, or a Prime edition that sells for $99 but displays Amazon ads when not being played.

How about a limited run of Ms Pacman with Steve Golson's blood added to the ink?

I'd work on a product with you any day vid.

#1733 5 years ago

Question to anyone that bought the riser. My assumption is that it comes in a flat box unassembled? I'm trying to make sure I can fit it in my car.

#1734 5 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Question to anyone that bought the riser. My assumption is that it comes in a flat box unassembled? I'm trying to make sure I can fit it in my car.

yea the riser is boxed up flat.

#1735 5 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

in a flat box, is not heavy. Nice looking product, easy to install. side screws to screw riser into side bottoms of game.

#1736 5 years ago

are these being discontinued, from what I'm reading on this thread?

#1737 5 years ago
Quoted from callaway15:

No, they've just announced two new product lines at CES this month (wall mounts, and cocktails).. and they have multiple iterative updates to the current products, and new models announced within the current standup. These changes are likely pushing a lot of the first round of inventory to clearance...

TL: DR - No

#1738 5 years ago

Any word on when those matching risers will be available and if they'll make them for all games released?

#1739 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You are totally missing the market for these.
Top 20 Wallmart toy of 2018.
No single mom is going to search CL to find an old 300 pound cab with the proper monitor orientation, borrow a truck to go get it, repaint it, re-decal it, re-Tmolding it, rebuild the monitor board, drill holes for extra controls, wire up a USB board, buy a RasPi, buy all the buttons and trackballs, get MAME running.......that's months of nonsense that a normal person is not going to do. (let alone it costs $1,000 minimum)

Sexism aside , the 1up arcades don't even have "proper monitor orientation". They play vertical and horizontal games on a non rotating monitor.
Your arguments against a real arcade isn't apples to apples. The end result of your fantasy MAME build is a cab that plays a significantly larger number of games than any A1Up. You even pluralize trackball to trackballs, and I don't think 3 player Rampart is super high up the average player's want list.

As for "months of nonsense" Pi2JAMMA is borderline plug and play with a jamma cab, finding a cab with the "street fighter" layout or a regular 3 button layout isn't hard to do. A Pandora's box IS plug and play.

lol @ a grand minimum to MAME an arcade machine.

These are a great lower cost toy for kids to beat on, I don't deny that but I'm not blinded by their limitations or quality issues either.

#1740 5 years ago

^

324F6C01-61BC-46BC-91C8-C69217A9D4D1 (resized).jpeg324F6C01-61BC-46BC-91C8-C69217A9D4D1 (resized).jpeg
#1741 5 years ago

Are the 12 in 1's available online or just exclusive to select stores?

#1742 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

As for "months of nonsense" Pi2JAMMA is borderline plug and play with a jamma cab, finding a cab with the "street fighter" layout or a regular 3 button layout isn't hard to do. A Pandora's box IS plug and play.

99% of the market for these doesn’t understand what you’re saying.

98% of the market understands but doesn’t want to be bothered. They just want it now and have fun with it at a low cost.

#1743 5 years ago

To anyone considering doing the USB mod for the 12-in-1, I can confirm that setting changes are saved for all games except Liberator and, unfortunately, Tempest.

#1744 5 years ago
Quoted from callaway15:

The first wave, is not being produced once wave two is shipping. So if someone wanted a asteroids or rampage etc, get it soon.

#1745 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Sexism aside ,

I'm not sure if your only source of family is Leave It To Beaver reruns, but a huge section of the US population is single moms or households headed by women (just look at one of A1U first outlets was: Bed Bath Beyond).

Quoted from Malenko:

the 1up arcades don't even have "proper monitor orientation". They play vertical and horizontal games on a non rotating monitor.

Look closer.

The Centipede cab is vert, the SF is Horiz.

Of course the 12in1 had some compromises, but there is no way around that if you want to offer people that popular mix.

Quoted from Malenko:

The end result of your fantasy MAME build is a cab that plays a significantly larger number of games than any A1Up.

Yep.

But at many times the price, and a few months of time dicking around. (I know, I have 2 of them).

Anyone who wants a MAME, probably already built one.

A1U is not marketed towards people who already built a MAME.

Quoted from Malenko:

These are a great lower cost toy for kids to beat on, I don't deny that but I'm not blinded by their limitations or quality issues either.

It's a toy, not a commercial arcade machine.

It costs the same as a nice dinner for 2

If you feel it has "quality issues" that you can't see past, don't buy it.

If you feel "limited" by it, don't buy it.

#1746 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It costs the same as a nice dinner for 2

What all are you ordering? Applebee's isn't that expensive.

#1747 5 years ago

Vid said a nice dinner. Applebee’s is not in the “nice dinner” restaurant category.

#1748 5 years ago
Quoted from sawbill:

Vid said a nice dinner. Applebee’s is not in the “nice dinner” restaurant category.

It is where I'm from.

Also, sarcasm.

#1749 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

99% of the market for these doesn’t understand what your saying.

Hahaha. I envision some upset confused customer ar Walmart.

“ all I wanted was to get little jimmy a street fighter arcade and the guy at the store kept saying! I don’t want to get this thing, I should really be buying a plug and play ja-mama, whatever that thing is, anyways I asked the guy, well; where do you sell the ja-mama thing, I’ll buy that. Then the jerk off says they don’t even sell them at Walmart!”

#1750 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

lol @ a grand minimum to MAME an arcade machine.

Absolutely.

Of course, you will try to pick apart every point, trying to say that you once saw a MK2 cab for $50, everyone has a bin full of trackballs, and an extra Pi on their desk, and a full woodshop, but I'm going see what it would cost TODAY.

Let's take a realistic look:

-

Cab

Moms everywhere are putting the A1U in the living room, so your build can't be a blown-out cab with water damage along the bottom, and missing decals and T-molding.

It's got to obviously look good.

Looking on CL, the cheapest cab with a working, unburnt vert monitor was a working Scramble. Most of the other listings were missing the monitor, or were "unknown if monitor works", but this one says unburnt.

Pics look good as far as cab condition.

Guy is asking $350, I assume I can chew him down to $300 because the ad is almost a month old.

There were literally no other cabs with working unburnt monitors under $350, and I live in a metro area of millions of subhumans.

Not including your time, truck rental and gas, it looks like $300 here.

scramble (resized).jpgscramble (resized).jpg

-

Next, you've got to buy a computer to run it.

You mentioned you use Pi2JAMMA

That's $37 shipped.

Add $9 JAMMA cable to convert Scramble into standard JAMMA

Add the Pi, Pi power supply, SD card and mounting ring $47 shipped

Add power strip to supply power inside the cab, and we are at $100

-

The cab is going to need paint, primer and Bondo to look new.

I would shoot 2part auto paint, but you seem like a rattle can kind of guy, so primer & paint cans $30

Bondo $18

Sandpaper $12

The cab will need new Tmolding $20

The cab will need new graphics $120

I'd keep the Scramble Marquee, but if you want something different $45

Not including a ton of your time, you've got an easy $225 here

-

Next you need a control panel. I assume that most single mom's dont have a router or a bunch of hole-saw bits to make large holes for Joysticks, trackballs & buttons; let alone cutting out the panel itself.

Although not crazy deluxe, the XArcade seems like a solid choice for only $200 shipped

tank-stick_36c53b9e-cf4d-4ea3-9f43-19857abb053a (resized).pngtank-stick_36c53b9e-cf4d-4ea3-9f43-19857abb053a (resized).png

-

Now most single moms are not fluent in Linux, so add a few hours on learning how to navigate the OS, formatting the card, finding an old USB keyboard, maybe finding an image already built, googling instructions, choosing just the games she wants (so she does not have to scroll through 50 versions of some Asian game she's never heard of).

Add a few hours in wiring the cab's speaker to the Pi, the controls to the Pi, troubleshooting the mapout, focusing the monitor, centering the image on the monitor, attaching the control panel to the cab, mounting the Pi, putting a non flickering bulb behind the marquee.

You want to move the power switch to the front of the machine, then wire it to the power strip.

-

If the 40 year old monitor kicks the bucket after a few weeks, most single mothers would not be able to service it, or even get it out of the cab.

Our 300lb Scramble cab is huge and can't just be picked up and moved to another room to make room for the christmas tree - especially by a single parent.

-

So we spent well over $800 in parts alone and probably 30 hours of labor trying to go as cheaply as possible and still have a new looking cab that could be in the livingroom and not the garage.

Even if you only make $20 a hour, you've blown $1400, and many weeks of labor, research, frustration & troubleshooting.

How many single mothers want to do any of the above, compared to just spending $200 and getting a brand new toy they can order with a single click, and pick up and carry???

(think before you post, you don't want to sound foolish)

There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/35?hl=sinistarrett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.