• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg

There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 63.
#1251 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah looks like
Serious junk I’d have no interest.
But damn this thread has legs!! People love cheap garbage.

As someone who also owns "real" arcade machines and pins, i like my cheap garbage arcade1up machine just fine.

#1252 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

As someone who also owns "real" arcade machines and pins, i like my cheap garbage arcade1up machine just fine.

It doesn't take a lot to get $100 in entertainment these days.

#1253 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

i like my cheap garbage arcade1up machine just fine.

Indeed.
So far with two Christmas gatherings under the belt and counting, they’ve held up to the abuse no problem. Even from a 280lb 6’6” dude that kinda looked like Santa...if you squinted hard enough.

Far from garbage in my book.
More like best “retro toy” of 2018.

Their goofy retro-mercial hits their target market right between the thighs too!

#1254 5 years ago
Quoted from alleycat-pinball:

These are cheap toys, but that's ok. For the price I didn't expect an arcade quality machine. For me they take up less room, and are easy to move. I have no complaints, all the ones I bought went together and work well.

Hey, someone gets it! I don't get why people just can’t seem to understand what these things are. The people complaining about these probably also take the Power Wheels car they bought for their 5 year old back to the store saying it’s junk because it doesn’t have power leather seats and built in GPS.

#1255 5 years ago

Wow! Having just got one of these (a Centipede+ one) for Christmas, I came on here hoping to find a bit of a club thread. And while there is some love, there is also a lot of negativity as well. Not sure I understand it. I own four pins and have been wanting an arcade cabinet for some time to complete my game room. But the 1000 plus Mame ones seem overwhelming to me and quite expensive. The old ones from the 80's are prone to break down, and while I can solder a switch on a pin back in place, I have no experience repairing boards. So, this seemed like a great solution. It is easy to move around and plays great. Yeah, it is not built like a tank and probably can't take that much abuse. But, I'm not putting it in an arcade. I'm putting it in my basement where it will get played maybe a handful of times a day. It fits in perfectly. And, the best part, I'm playing Centipede again and having a blast! My wife and I used to play in college and compete against each other to get the highest score. It is fun reliving those memories. I get the criticism, but for those who want something better, just get something better.

#1256 5 years ago

50 year old dudes who take video game collecting way too seriously, getting sore over cheap reproductions for the masses and can't wait to come in here and tell you about how sore they are. Think that sums it up.

#1257 5 years ago

All the haters keep coming back to say something don't they?? If you don't like it, don't buy one and shut up. And also, who pays over $20 for riser?? Didn't these people take shop class in 7th grade?? Make one yourself....................Merry Christmas...............

#1258 5 years ago

I thought it's been $199 for the last couple of weeks?

I'm waiting to see if there are any post xmas deals on the Atari 12-in-1. I'd love to scratch my Tempest, Gravitar, or Quantum itch without springing for the 1K+ it would cost to get a real color vector monitor cab.

I made a nice mini fridge out of the Rampage one. Playing multiplayer Rampage, Gauntlet, or Joust is a blast on this thing. I was thinking about getting the 12-in-1 and hide my dehumidifier in it.

#1259 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Hope that soldering iron isn't on

That's a hot air rework station

#1260 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's a hot air rework station

This similar pic always cracks me up when I see it.

13 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg
#1261 5 years ago

That's how you get cold solder joints.

#1262 5 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

This similar pic always cracks me up when I see it.[quoted image]

Ouch!

#1263 5 years ago

At least her eyes are safe..........

#1264 5 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

All the haters keep coming back to say something don't they?? If you don't like it, don't buy one and shut up. And also, who pays over $20 for riser?? Didn't these people take shop class in 7th grade?? Make one yourself....................Merry Christmas...............

You don't understand they are saving pinside from these cursed arcade toys. If anyone buys one they will go broke investing in toys.

#1265 5 years ago

Got to build my rampage last night. Im still not sure why these get so much hate. I secretly opened the box a couple weeks ago and clear coated the control panel to increase the durability without having to add the acrylic overlay.

My dad and I played gauntlet last night until our hands hurt.
20181226_131103 (resized).jpg20181226_131103 (resized).jpg

#1266 5 years ago

I played Galaga at the local WalMart. It was turned off. I turned it on. I was amazed at how fast it booted up and was ready to play!
How do they do that?

#1267 5 years ago

Arcade snobs...
duty.gifduty.gif

Me...
nobigdeal.gifnobigdeal.gif

#1268 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Im still not sure why these get so much hate.

They get tons of hate from guys insecure about their manhood.

"At $150, you are not that far away from buying an old Pac-Man for $800!" = my penis no longer works

"You can get a Multicade from CGC for $3200, why would anyone buy this junk?" = my wife wears athletic socks to bed.

"I looked at one of these and they are only made of 1/2" wood; my 350 pound Paper Boy game is 3/4" wood!" = I'm too scared to have them genetically tested, but none of my children look like me.

#1269 5 years ago

Everyone already commented on the hot soldering iron not plugged in but think of all the people involved in that photo shoot that got that wrong as well as the motherboards being face up. lol

On the Arcade1Up note my wife loves her 12 n 1. She has made a point to let me know it is much easier to use then my 2k+ mame cab. lol. I will be putting a real spinner in it soon. Ordered the Turbo Twist 2. I figure I have done the USB mod there should be no reason I can't just plug in a USB spinner and set it up in the settings. I will let you all know how it works out when done. I think am having more fun tinkering with it then the wife does playing it. I could have left it and she would have been fine with it but I get bored with no projects to work on so I create some. Guess I could work on my large scale Beech D18 before winter is over.

#1270 5 years ago

These things are 100%, rich and creamy feces.

I decided to check them out at my local wally world and found one in the back near the electronics - a pac man unit.

As I was looking over the box, I decided to light up a cigarette because I'm an American and it's my right. No sooner than about two drags into it, the kid working the electronics section creeps over and tells me that I "can't smoke" in the store - this punk wasn't even born when the Lee jeans I had on were purchased and he's gonna tell me what's what?

"Now in my day a pac man arcade could stand up to just about anything, certainly a smoke - in fact I used it for an ashtray while I played" - I explained while starting to lift the box up off the shelf.

The kid was obviously intimidated but he had no choice but to watch at what came next, I grabbed the box on both ends and put my denim covered knee into the center of it - pulling it towards me with the strength of Jack LaLanne circa 2008, until the whole thing snapped in half with a loud "BRRRRAAAAPPP" raining cheap metal, wood, and foam particles out of the middle like some kind of disappointing pinata.

After dropping my cig onto the pile, I began using my fresh white new balance to grind it out while shifting my focus to lock eyes with his.

"These things are never going to be worth anything" I told him. "Poor investment, and there's no way I can brag about them on facebook" to which he nodded, unable to speak. "If you can't show the world that you have 100% real arcade hardware in your home, the world wont respect you" - My final parting advice.

I did him a favor that day, it turns out he was planning on buying one himself but had no idea that they were such garbage quality. As I made my way back to my truck he ran out into the parking lot just to thank me, but unfortunately I didn't see him, and backed up over his feet with my F series super duty to which I'm now paying his hospital bills for.

In the end it was still worth it, and I hope you all can learn from this before the Arcade 1UP ruins your life.

#1271 5 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

Ordered the Turbo Twist 2. I figure I have done the USB mod there should be no reason I can't just plug in a USB spinner and set it up in the settings. I will let you all know how it works out when done.

A guy on youtube tried it and it works but said you have to re seat the plug every time to get the computer to recognize what ever is plugged into the usb.

#1272 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

A guy on youtube tried it and it works but said you have to re seat the plug every time to get the computer to recognize what ever is plugged into the usb.

That can be fixed easily with a switch

#1273 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Indeed.
So far with two Christmas gatherings under the belt and counting, they’ve held up to the abuse no problem. Even from a 280lb 6’6” dude that kinda looked like Santa...if you squinted hard enough.
Far from garbage in my book.
More like best “retro toy” of 2018.
Their goofy retro-mercial hits their target market right between the thighs too!

Didn’t you get tired of the kids complaining about the lack of authentic scan lines??

...well I would have but you didn’t invite me.

#1274 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

That can be fixed easily with a switch

No way!

#1275 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Didn't think about that. Makes perfect sense seeing the keyboard only works if you plug it in after it's powered on.

#1276 5 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

Everyone already commented on the hot soldering iron not plugged in but think of all the people involved in that photo shoot that got that wrong as well as the motherboards being face up. lol

That is a Hot Air Rework Station NOT a soldering iron.

There are no through-legs on Surface Mount components, they are soldered on the component side of the motherboard (photo is correct).

Watch this video if you want to see how the components are soldered from the face side of the board:

Note she is holding the hot air wand incorrectly.....

#1277 5 years ago

Still $299 by us. Only about 10 left.

#1278 5 years ago

I commend A1U on their customer service. When I got my Pacman, I sent a kind email asking about a couple locked pixels and dark spot on my monitor. The email simply asked if I should be concerned about this.
A few days ago, a large package arrived containing a new bezel, monitor, motherboard and ribbon cable!! Geez...wasn't expecting that!!! I have basically a second backup system on deck.
Patiently waiting for Ms Pacman. They have my business!

20181201_161817 (resized).jpg20181201_161817 (resized).jpg
#1279 5 years ago

I am impressed w/ the tales of their customer service. At least they are trying. My control overlay protector was ordered online w/o a proof of purchase or receipt. The games are more enjoyable than playing on a game system w/ a controller. I like my 12 in 1 just fine. And I paid $399 for mine. Curious about future releases. Tron, Qbert, Food Fight, Omega Race, Satan's Hollow, etc.

#1280 5 years ago

Q-bert would be cool

#1281 5 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Curious about future releases. Tron, Qbert, Food Fight, Omega Race, Satan's Hollow, etc.

Another forum says that the next batch has Gorf, Tron, & Satan's Hollow in one cab.

#1282 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Another forum says that the next batch has Gorf, Tron, & Satan's Hollow in one cab.

Gorf is the worst named best game ever.

#1283 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Gorf is the worst named best game ever.

Frog backwards

#1284 5 years ago

"Galactic Orbiting Robot Force"

Gorf_flyer (resized).pngGorf_flyer (resized).png
#1285 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Oh shit! If that's true I'm gonna have to jump on the bandwagon and get one. GORF and SH are 2 of my childhood favorites.

#1286 5 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Oh shit! If that's true I'm gonna have to jump on the bandwagon and get one. GORF and SH are 2 of my childhood favorites.

Don't let the haters get you down about buying one either. So far I've not seen any cases where arcade1up won't take care of people who have had issues. Before I even opened mine, they let me open a support ticket to get the Rampage overlay and new controller board, which is arriving today.

#1287 5 years ago

If you have a TJ Maxx in your area you might find the Atari 12 in 1 Arcade1up on clearance for $199. Since it includes the riser that's a decent deal.

rps20181227_142801 (resized).jpgrps20181227_142801 (resized).jpg
#1288 5 years ago

Marshall's also is selling 12in1 and riser for $199

Tag shows these came in to the stores in November....

2663ss2q6q621 (resized).jpg2663ss2q6q621 (resized).jpg
#1289 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

"Galactic Orbiting Robot Force"[quoted image]

"froG"

#1290 5 years ago

My wife is hoping for a head to head Tetris version. She said it is a "must buy".

#1291 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Wow another on the list. It will be interesting to see if they improve the spinner for Tron and if they are actually going for a flight stick style controller seeing all 3 use it.

#1292 5 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

It will be interesting to see if they improve the spinner for Tron and if they are actually going for a flight stick style controller seeing all 3 use it.

Now that they have a runaway hit (#16 top selling new toy at Wallmart), maybe they will be able to explore more control options

The spinner is totally fine for playing Tempest, but it does not have the arcade feel, that's for sure.

Even the real Tempest spinner has bushing kits available to make it run smoother than when it was new.

31326779204_d783442882_z (resized).jpg31326779204_d783442882_z (resized).jpg31357982443_ccef9f8129_z (resized).jpg31357982443_ccef9f8129_z (resized).jpg
#1293 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Now that they have a runaway hit (#16 top selling new toy at Wallmart), maybe they will be able to explore more control options
The spinner is totally fine for playing Tempest, but it does not have the arcade feel, that's for sure.
Even the real Tempest spinner has bushing kits available to make it run smoother than when it was new.[quoted image][quoted image]

I am eagerly awaiting reports of aftermarket spinner installations.

#1294 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I am eagerly awaiting reports of aftermarket spinner installations.

You can see that the original has a heavy flywheel on the shaft.

You might steal one from an old VCR, using the VCRs super smooth sealed ball bearings, it could spin like glass.

#1295 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can see that the original has a heavy flywheel on the shaft.
You might steal one from an old VCR, using the VCRs super smooth sealed ball bearings, it could spin like glass.

I would be fine purchasing an aftermarket spinner. I just would like to know how practical the installation, interfacing, and calibration is for a given spinner.

#1296 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That is a Hot Air Rework Station NOT a soldering iron.
There are no through-legs on Surface Mount components, they are soldered on the component side of the motherboard (photo is correct).
Watch this video if you want to see how the components are soldered from the face side of the board:

Note she is holding the hot air wand incorrectly.....

How about the disassembled hard drive that is sitting there with the platter exposed?Yeah, that’ll work.

#1297 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

How about the disassembled hard drive that is sitting there with the platter exposed?Yeah, that’ll work.

We used to open them up and replace the front plate with plexi and light them with LEDs

You would think that the heads would be zipping all over, but in actual use, it was pretty low action.

Everyone was worried about dust, so they would run the shower for a few minutes, hoping the steam would take all the dust out of the air....lol

#1298 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Played me a ton of Gorf on 2600 as a kid. That game was fun!

#1299 5 years ago

Man, gorf and Tron in one cabinet. Looks like I'll be investing in another one of these things.

#1300 5 years ago

Gorf is a fun game, some people don't know that your ship can move in 4 directions in that game, and not just left to right. Love blowing up the mothership with a perfectly timed shot. Or destroying all of it so it's just the red core flying around shooting at you.

There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/26?hl=budmanpinfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.