10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 2,632 posts
  • 272 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by woody24
  • Topic is favorited by 88 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 459 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

b1 (resized).jpg
Lock on (resized).jpg
Turbo Sub (resized).jpg
20190613_140236 (resized).jpg
20190421_125912 (resized).jpg
starwars1-1560367126472 (resized).jpg
1up star wars (resized).jpeg
pacmancab (resized).jpg
streetfightercabinet (resized).jpg
Costco 1Up (resized).jpg
Asteroids Deluxe 1Up Arcade (resized).jpg
TMNT_03_R2-6.7.19 (resized).jpg
3E8B344F-6B5C-4AA4-8CF4-3812F21D8B62 (resized).jpeg
3D4D51E7-19DC-4F58-915F-4166CCD491D9 (resized).jpeg
20190526_090657 (resized).jpg
20190525_152410 (resized).jpg

There are 2632 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 53.
#51 10 months ago

I wonder if the Street Fighter will look like the SNES version or the actual arcade version. I can't really tell in any of the videos.

#52 10 months ago

Ugh the one with 1944 is delayed! They have plans to do many more games, including TMNT.

#53 10 months ago
Quoted from Toddzilla:

I wonder if the Street Fighter will look like the SNES version or the actual arcade version. I can't really tell in any of the videos.

It’s the arcade game.

#54 10 months ago

I think they should have gone with some type of cabinet that could be mounted to the wall. That way you can set it up to whatever height you want. I bet you could make one that's no heavier then a big screen tv (especially ones from 5-10 years ago). Even if the controls suck, I bet we'd be able to find a way to replace them with others.

#55 10 months ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I think they should have gone with some type of cabinet that could be mounted to the wall. That way you can set it up to whatever height you want. I bet you could make one that's no heavier then a big screen tv (especially ones from 5-10 years ago). Even if the controls suck, I bet we'd be able to find a way to replace them with others.

I pre-ordered a SFII and I'm curious to see how sturdy it is. I'd like to attach a french cleat and get it mounted on the wall. These are only 60 lbs or so, I'm just worried about the cabinet pulling apart.

#56 10 months ago
Quoted from mettle64:

I pre-ordered a SFII and I'm curious to see how sturdy it is. I'd like to attach a french cleat and get it mounted on the wall. These are only 60 lbs or so, I'm just worried about the cabinet pulling apart.

Without seeing the cabinet I still think it would be fine hanging this way. Worst case you could go the Stern route and add some angle brackets from the back of the cabinet to the sides to prevent splitting

#57 10 months ago
Quoted from mettle64:

from walmart?

#58 10 months ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Without seeing the cabinet I still think it would be fine hanging this way. Worst case you could go the Stern route and add some angle brackets from the back of the cabinet to the sides to prevent splitting

Worst case is it breaks apart and crushes your kid's toes!

I like the French cleat idea. I was thinking the same, but people can get rough when into SF!

#59 10 months ago
Quoted from mettle64:

Just keep in mind that in all reality, people will be pressing down on the front of the machine while playing. Some will lean on it while playing. If you ever have a party, lots of people who aren’t even playing will be leaning on this. If there are short kids around, they will likely be pulling themselves up to see over the front, or just flat out hanging on it.

So, I’d definitely reinforce it pretty significantly.

#60 10 months ago

I'm thinking of making one of these and slapping my old 40" lcd in there with the tankstick and calling it a day. I'd use "my friend's " Pi settup.

I do have some VP on a separate computer so I suppose I could rig that up as well.

Problem is, these cheap projects always turn into money pits.

Vertigo-Blue-White (resized).jpg
#61 10 months ago

Seems like Robotron would have been better on the Rampage then Defender.
Could have done one with Defender, Stargate and then a couple of simpler games.

#62 10 months ago
Quoted from mettle64:

I'm either going to mount a shelf to the wall, or make a sturdy L bracket to put under it. Or just buy the riser for $39 if Walmart gets them.

#63 10 months ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Just keep in mind that in all reality, people will be pressing down on the front of the machine while playing. Some will lean on it while playing. If you ever have a party, lots of people who aren’t even playing will be leaning on this. If there are short kids around, they will likely be pulling themselves up to see over the front, or just flat out hanging on it.
So, I’d definitely reinforce it pretty significantly.

These are good points. Once I'm done messing with the innards I'll add what bracing I can.

Quoted from JodyG:

I'm either going to mount a shelf to the wall, or make a sturdy L bracket to put under it. Or just buy the riser for $39 if Walmart gets them.

I was thinking the riser was $99. If it's $39 I may not bother attempting a wall mount.

#64 10 months ago

I think these can be great for the right consumer. Some can’t afford or get a ‘real thing’, and don’t want the hassle of mame. Also it gets classic arcades back for the new generations to enjoy. If they like these cabs they will love the originals restored. I am ok with these, and the price isn’t too bad for what you get. They won’t cut it for most of us, but for some it will be a cool edition to their game rooms.

#65 10 months ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I think these can be great for the right consumer. Some can’t afford or get a ‘real thing’, and don’t want the hassle of mame. Also it gets classic arcades back for the new generations to enjoy. If they like these cabs they will love the originals restored. I am ok with these, and the price isn’t too bad for what you get. They won’t cut it for most of us, but for some it will be a cool edition to their game rooms.

It's just something different. I think I may put it in my daughter's room and let it be hers. I'd be OK with finding her playing arcade games at 2am.

#66 10 months ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I'm thinking of making one of these and slapping my old 40" lcd in there with the tankstick and calling it a day. I'd use "my friend's " Pi settup.
I do have some VP on a separate computer so I suppose I could rig that up as well.
Problem is, these cheap projects always turn into money pits.[quoted image]

Can PI even run any of the pinball emulators?? If so that's a game changer for me.

#67 10 months ago

Size comparison

E1D4CBC0-4191-4812-93A9-E28236253437 (resized).png
#68 10 months ago

Why would a kid want something with such crappy graphics; lol & why would an adult want something like this. IMO this is going to fail. No need to hack this POS just get the real software & do it up right wall mount a TV get a rolling cart with https://shop.xgaming.com/products/x-arcade-tankstick-with-trackball-ships-on-feb-5th?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8-vPzoXA3AIVDNvACh3kIAYjEAAYASAAEgIgSPD_BwE & BOOM!! Done.

#69 10 months ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

Can PI even run any of the pinball emulators?? If so that's a game changer for me.

I doubt it.
I've got a Win 10 system with a gtx 1060 that plays pretty smoothly though

I would just have to switch inputs. Or load mame onto computer, but more work.

See, quick projects always get more involved!

#70 10 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Size comparison
[quoted image]

2ett1b (resized).jpg
#71 10 months ago

Now I want to see three adults playing that Rampage.

#72 10 months ago

All you need is a phillips screw driver

#73 10 months ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Now I want to see three adults playing that Rampage.

If I get one it'll probably be the Rampage, so I'll be sure to get a pic posted if it happens lol. Right now Night Moves is in the middle of the floor serving as a table for a 3d printer so.... kinda wack on space.

#74 10 months ago

These things are pretty cool. Think I will get Rampage one for my kids. It would be nice if each had a few more games. Still, I like the price point. Just something fun to have and scratch the arcade itch.

#75 10 months ago

The hardcore arcade people all hate them with a passion already. So they must be cool.

#76 10 months ago

I'm guessin a hard lean and yer doin steps 1-14...again. But with less dowel rods.

#77 10 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The hardcore arcade people all hate them with a passion already. So they must be cool.

Of course they do. They won't be able to rip people off on Craigslist when they know that the common plebe is going to go buy FOUR games for 300-400 instead of 2000-3200.

1 week later
#78 10 months ago

So whats the deal with the mini Baywatch pinball? OMG!

arcade (resized).jpg
#79 10 months ago

I’m really interested in these. I have a jamma 60 in 1 built into an old Xevious cab. Looks great, but expensive and heavy...like all old cabs. I need a cab that can fit a horizontal screen, but I don’t want to pay for and move an old original cab. I’ve looked into buying a flat pack cab, but shipping is crazy. If I can use a 19 in 1 horizontal game jamma in the horizontal versions of these...that’d be an option. I read they are made with quality boards for the cab...but that was from their site...so we’ll see.

#80 10 months ago

I wound up ordering one of these kits...its just a hair more than the cost of two of these if you get the custom side graphics with it, but has the ability to hold an infinite number of games. Also sports a 22" monitor instead of 17".

https://gameroomsolutions.com/shop/bartop-arcade-kit-deluxe/

GRS-Bartop-Arcade-Deluxesma (resized).jpg
#81 10 months ago

and i was hoping to see that some one was making & selling new empty replacement cabinets for centipede, tempest, street fighter ...

#82 10 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I wound up ordering one of these kits...its just a hair more than the cost of two of these if you get the custom side graphics with it, but has the ability to hold an infinite number of games. Also sports a 22" monitor instead of 17".
https://gameroomsolutions.com/shop/bartop-arcade-kit-deluxe/[quoted image]

Are you sure about that? Reading the description it doesn't come with a monitor or computer unless you buy their "Plug and Play" pack which brings the cost up to $1000.

Base kit - $219
Add Controls - $89 (you're going to want the Sanwa Kit)
Graphics installed - $129
Bezel to frame the TV - $25
Need a computer to run it - Guts Pack - $229

That's $691 and still doesn't show to come with the monitor. Looks like all you get with their kit is the wood shell and the rest is add ons.

#83 10 months ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Are you sure about that? Reading the description it doesn't come with a monitor or computer unless you buy their "Plug and Play" pack which brings the cost up to $1000.
Base kit - $219
Add Controls - $89 (you're going to want the Sanwa Kit)
Graphics installed - $129
Bezel to frame the TV - $25
Need a computer to run it - Guts Pack - $229
That's $691 and still doesn't show to come with the monitor. Looks like all you get with their kit is the wood shell and the rest is add ons.

I did install myself graphics (super easy), so it was $629 shipped. You can pick up a refurb 22" widescreen for around $50, but I opted for a new Acer LED for $79 shipped at Walmart.com. So for $708, I have a 22" screened machine that will play a couple thousand games, instead of paying $599 for two mini 17" screen arcade cabs I had preordered that will play 6-8 games. (I had preordered Street Fighter and Rampage)

#84 10 months ago

We have a 2500 in 1 that’s running on the Maximus format. This unit has a 26” LCD & features the horizontal & vertical MAME plus the laser disk games. This unit is installed in a Street Fighter 2 cabinet w/ the six button two joystick set up. There are a handful of games that are unplayable because the system doesn’t recognize the control configuration. But we are able to play just about any arcade classic ever made. There is a local guy that builds these machines & our family has absolutely enjoyed what this machine has to offer. For $800, this machine is worth every penny.

#85 10 months ago

Im the Idiot that bought all 5 cabs on launch day, now they're all sold out everywhere to my knowledge, yes, its probably crap emulation with a rPi, look at the assembly video, the system is built into the control panel, I hope theres ventilation for it to cool off in there.

I plan to put them in a row for my little kids and their friends to bang on, and leave their original counterparts that I own looking nice and tidy. to each his own, but I know these will get a lot of play by shorties that have no care in the world if they play perfect or not.

... or I could flip them and make a few bucks or get my money back

edit...

just FYI, say perhaps someone wanted to build one of these on their own... 1 sheet of mdf $40, raspberry pi with all the hookups and sd card $100(don't kid yourself, once you add a case and everything, it gets pricy) , 17" monitor found on craigslist or at the parts bin at work... most likely; free, but new: $50, printed graphics $100, controls for control panel from eBay cheap stuff $30, hardware and other electrical components to put it all together $40, plexiglass/tempered glass for monitor $20 to $50... then theres other stuff like graphic design, I can make my own, but most cannot, design time $100, and also doing a lit up marquee could cost anywhere from $30 to $100 or more depending on the style and perfection

before adding in the extra cool stuff like design time and a light up marquee... roughly $380 before labor time to make everything... how much time does it take to build one from scratch??? Id say about 20 hours if you're a fast wood worker, not including the computer time to setup and configure the raspberry pi.

how do I know this... I built a few things
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sorhp/albums/72157629793066224
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sorhp/albums/72157627060885690
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sorhp/albums/72157627060899174

#86 10 months ago

I kinda like the look of the whole set together. I wonder if they will have expansion packs of games to add to the cabinets? (I doubt it). Will they make more cabinets eventually? (I’d like golden tee or mortal kombat). What are the internal components? Are the joysticks and buttons custom smaller stuff, or off the shelf common components? If something breaks I want to be able to fix it.

Is this a SoC design that’s emulating the games (well or poorly), or is it something like a raspberry pi that can be hacked and have games added to the cabinet. Just like the nintendo classic; with its ability to play the whole collection.

How are the controls and monitor connected? I highly doubt it will be a Jamma connection, but I wonder if you could connect a pandora’s Box or game elf vertical box.

#87 10 months ago

The price in Canada for these is ridiculous. $500 + taxes = $565.00. It would be cheaper for me to pick one up in the USA and drive it back.

$299 converted to CAD is $399 + 13% tax = $450 CAD. Even if I include the bridge fees of $12 I'm still saving $100.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/arcade-1up-asteroids-arcade-game/6000198432126

#88 10 months ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I kinda like the look of the whole set together. I wonder if they will have expansion packs of games to add to the cabinets? (I doubt it). Will they make more cabinets eventually? (I’d like golden tee or mortal kombat). What are the internal components? Are the joysticks and buttons custom smaller stuff, or off the shelf common components? If something breaks I want to be able to fix it.
Is this a SoC design that’s emulating the games (well or poorly), or is it something like a raspberry pi that can be hacked and have games added to the cabinet. Just like the nintendo classic; with its ability to play the whole collection.
How are the controls and monitor connected? I highly doubt it will be a Jamma connection, but I wonder if you could connect a pandora’s Box or game elf vertical box.

unfortunately, no-one in the public knows this info yet... the system is built inside the control panel, hopefully the control panel is easy to take apart

#89 10 months ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

They have more machines planned for 2019. Turtles was one they specifically mentioned as a possibility.

#90 10 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

They have more machines planned for 2019. Turtles was one they specifically mentioned as a possibility.

if its 4 player, it will sell out in 2.5 minutes

#91 10 months ago

I am curious how 3 or 4 adults will fit at the controls and have a good view of the screen.

#92 10 months ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I am curious how 3 or 4 adults will fit at the controls and have a good view of the screen.

it sure will look funny!

#93 10 months ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Ever play Twister?

#94 10 months ago
Quoted from dnapac:

There are a couple videos of three guys playing Rampage.

#95 10 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I did install myself graphics (super easy), so it was $629 shipped. You can pick up a refurb 22" widescreen for around $50, but I opted for a new Acer LED for $79 shipped at Walmart.com. So for $708, I have a 22" screened machine that will play a couple thousand games, instead of paying $599 for two mini 17" screen arcade cabs I had preordered that will play 6-8 games. (I had preordered Street Fighter and Rampage)

Kind of an unfair comparison. One is completely licensed and the other is not. Do you own a physical copy of each one of those couple thousand games you are installing on your custom built machine?

#96 10 months ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Kind of an unfair comparison. One is completely licensed and the other is not. Do you own a physical copy of those couple thousand games you are installing on your custom built machine?

Oh Pinside...

#98 10 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Oh Pinside...

I guess the answer is no

#99 10 months ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I guess the answer is no

Sorry, I don't need to come on public forums to flaunt my moral high ground.

#100 10 months ago

Hmm, Tempest? I've basically given up on mine, think I've owned this turd a few years now...will leave out the details, but should just burn the thing in my driveway....May be up and running by 2096

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 254.99
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 12,500.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Cabinet - Toppers
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Wheezer
$ 6.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 10.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Electronics
nvram.weebly.com
$ 29.04
Playfield - Plastics
F14 Tomcat Slingshots Out of stock
Pinball-Mods.com
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 10.00
Apparel - Unisex
Lee's Parts
There are 2632 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 53.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside