1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 2,718 posts
  • 278 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by Luckydogg420
  • Topic is favorited by 90 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 478 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

15714526265694506094651431549029 (resized).jpg
4E161486-982E-4B37-AFB4-853B818B8031 (resized).jpeg
61D7C0EC-B8A2-4A1E-836B-EF49FF554048 (resized).jpeg
2F171DD6-EFFF-484E-8503-65DBC082CA9A (resized).jpeg
7B83058A-00AE-4435-9DC9-84A65E44E72A (resized).jpeg
20190923_192508 (resized).jpg
3a286ff1556a48ecc400aacb37062bd6f67482b4 (resized).jpg
28E1B6E9-E150-438E-BC0D-98C13D150E81 (resized).jpeg
20190919_140126 (resized).jpg
20190919_133751 (resized).jpg
KIMG2008 (resized).JPG
CA51DC94-3CC6-4E4F-945F-FCCCB13C5D0E (resized).jpeg
IMG_1501 (resized).jpg
IMG_1498 (resized).jpg
IMG_1472 (resized).jpg
IMG_1452 (resized).jpg

There are 2718 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 55.
#551 1 year ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Who's the other half of the households?

2 parent households

#552 1 year ago

single dads don't exist, or they wouldn't buy one?

Pretty neat that single moms make up exactly fifty percent of households though!

#553 1 year ago

The trackball on mine is defective unfortunately. I was told I’ll get a new one in about a week. Despite that it looks cool and the kids love it!

#554 1 year ago

I'm a single dad and bought one. I don't get why single women would be all over arcade stuff. Makes no sense to me.

#555 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I'm a single dad and bought one. I don't get why single women would be all over arcade stuff. Makes no sense to me.

How simple does it have to be?

Women make up 82% of all single parent households, so you want to make sure that advertising and packaging is inclusive to them.

#556 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Women make up 82% of all single parent households, so you want to make sure that advertising and packaging is inclusive to them.

But they spend their money on stuff with pumpkin spice in it and save money for cruises in the Bahamas and trips to Cancun. I can't see them being that fired up to spend money on these IKEA arcades, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe single parent female households are the untapped key to home gaming.

#557 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Not only are these single moms dropping $300-$400 on IKEA arcades, but they're also apparently removing and mylaring control panels.

#558 1 year ago
Quoted from racer_x:

Not only are these single moms dropping $300-$400 on IKEA arcades, but they're also apparently removing and mylaring control panels.

Have you been following this thread? The games will now have a plastic cover for the control panel. So no Mylar required, unless you get one of the very first models, and even then warranty will cover any issues.

#559 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It has to appeal to single moms, since that's 1/2 of the households.

Quoted from vid1900:

I have to base this on 2014 statistics, because that's the most recent I could find.

Single parent homes make up about 25% of households.
Of the single parent homes, single mothers make up 83% of those.

So single mothers make up about 20% of all households, which while very depressing, is not half of all households.

Anyfart, I think the first batch of these will expose most of the issues the majority of us have pointed out , and will likely get fixed with small revisions if they are cost effective (like the CPO art plastic cover) I don't think the second batch will sell nearly as well and in a few months we'll be comparing these to the Midway cabs that came out a few years ago. (these are definitely a step up from those midway cabs)

Quoted from jawjaw:

I get why some would, to make their kids happy. But not every kid wants one of these. I asked my nephew if he'd want one of these or a Switch/PS4/XB1 and he said he'd want a PS4 and Madden And my nephew loves coming over to play on my arcades, he just doesn't want one of his own.

#560 1 year ago

I learned a new word today, thanks

#561 1 year ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

But they spend their money on stuff with pumpkin spice in it and save money for cruises in the Bahamas and trips to Cancun. I can't see them being that fired up to spend money on these IKEA arcades, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe single parent female households are the untapped key to home gaming.

Look at where these games are being sold:

Bed Bath & Beyond - the place that old women wave their 20% off coupon at the cashier "And I've got this too!"

Not Frys, not Microcenter, not Gameland; they chose BB&B as one of the 3 partners.

So if you are marketing to women, you better have packaging that appeals to them

"I've got a Paris Map shower curtain, 4 My Pillows, a Banana Hanger, and look - a video game for Brandon !"

#562 1 year ago

I have 2 of those "DragonRise" USB boards for my MAME cabinet. They work pretty good. The only complaint is I wish the corner holes had a bit more distance from the connectors so I can get 4 screws mounted onto the underside of the control board.

The wires you get with the set(from Amazon) are a wee bit small, but you can splice them longer.

Maybe these cabinets will spawn some competitors that will make better products than this. More games per cab, taller cab, etc.

#563 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Look at where these games are being sold:
Bed Bath & Beyond - the place that old women wave their 20% off coupon at the cashier "And I've got this too!"
Not Frys, not Microcenter, not Gameland; they chose BB&B as one of the 3 partners.
So if you are marketing to women, you better have packaging that appeals to them
"I've got a Paris Map shower curtain, 4 My Pillows, a Banana Hanger, and look - a video game for Brandon !"

Using their site as a reference, I don't see Bed Bath and Beyond as any sort of partner.
https://www.arcade1up.com/
1up (resized).PNG

I don't know where you got "3 partners from" but Walmart, Gamestop, FYE, Frys, Target, and Best Buy are the SIX major chains listed on their website.

BB&B is carrying them, as are a ton of other places, but 1up doesn't mention them at all and BB&B doesn't accept coupons on them either.
Capture (resized).PNG
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/arcade-1up-rampage-game/5040171
(link so you cant say I'm doing any photoshopfuckery)

#564 1 year ago

Box is pretty big and heavy. I still don't see some woman spotting one in a store, dropping it in her cart on a whim. She would probably need help moving it and it probably wouldn't even fit in a small car. You also have to build it and have some basic tools to do so. All that for a few old video games? You could buy a whole xbox or ps4, maybe with games for same cost. Those you just plug in and have a whole library of games with online content. Makes no sense that anyone would buy these that is not into retro gaming.

#565 1 year ago

Can we please just stop with the "who's market" is it post? If it's not for you then who the F cares, move on already. Their is obviously a market for them or they wouldn't have SOLD out before being released. I'm guessing that someone did some market research before starting the business and it looks like their research wasn't to bad as they are selling.

I for one would like to hear about feedback on performance of them without having to sift through dozens of post of people who aren't in the market for them and just want to throw shit at something just to try and look cool. Nobody cares....

#566 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Can we please just stop with the "who's market" is it post? If it's not for you then who the F cares, move on already. Their is obviously a market for them or they wouldn't have SOLD out before being released. I'm guessing that someone did some market research before starting the business and it looks like their research wasn't to bad as they are selling.
I for one would like to hear about feedback on performance of them without having to sift through dozens of post of people who aren't in the market for them and just want to throw shit at something just to try and look cool. Nobody cares....

I'm not arguing who the market is for, just the made up numbers trying to justify what someone thinks the target market is. All the posts complaining about the form-factor and quality were met with "its not made for you" so the next logical thing to discuss would be who its made for.

I for one would like to hear about feedback on performance of them without having to sift through dozens of post of people who justify all the shortcomings of the product by implying they were made shitty because neophytes wont know any better.

What exactly did you want to know about them that hasn't been covered already? These are tiny machines with 4:3 LCD displays, low quality controls, and are powered by hardware closely related to Pandora's boxes.

#567 1 year ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I'm not arguing who the market is for, just the made up numbers trying to justify what someone thinks the target market is. All the posts complaining about the form-factor and quality were met with "its not made for you" so the next logical thing to discuss would be who its made for.
I for one would like to hear about feedback on performance of them without having to sift through dozens of post of people who justify all the shortcomings of the product by implying they were made shitty because neophytes wont know any better.
What exactly did you want to know about them that hasn't been covered already? These are tiny machines with 4:3 LCD displays, low quality controls, and are powered by hardware closely related to Pandora's boxes.

The big one is lag. Early on in the conversations people thought their may be excessive lag. I'm not talking about frame rate types of lag but more along the lines of input lag. Kind of like some experience with Virtual Pinball. I'd also like to hear about gameplay from those that maybe own or have played a MAME cab and aren't going to just diss it because it's made like IKEA furniture (True story, my IKEA entertainment center is 10 years old and rock solid by the way...) or doesn't have top of the line buttons.

#568 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Demanding that the thread tailor itself to meet your needs explicitly? It's nice to want things...

To bring this back to pinball (this is still a pinball forum, right?), I think the discussion on the market for this type of product is interesting. If this is as successful as it appears it could be it might be the model for the next Stern "The Pin" type system targeted at the extreme low end.

Imagine a kit pinball machine packed in a similar fashion as these with the cabinet disassembled and the PF populated ready to go. Shipping costs would be greatly reduced. I'd say Stern is already half-way there with their recent lightweight cabinet construction and making the buyers swap out the corner brackets for ones that actually do the job themselves.

Seriously though, why not an el cheapo pinball in this fashion, sell it for $999 or something with a cheap lcd display?

#569 1 year ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Anyfart, I think the first batch of these will expose most of the issues the majority of us have pointed out , and will likely get fixed with small revisions if they are cost effective (like the CPO art plastic cover) I don't think the second batch will sell nearly as well and in a few months we'll be comparing these to the Midway cabs that came out a few years ago. (these are definitely a step up from those midway cabs)

Did you forget whom owns arcade1up?

http://www.tastemakersllc.com/

They have several large franchises that do well. This company doesn’t just do one or two runs of a product. Hatchamals were the #1 toy the other year. A couple years before that do you remember the movie The Secret Life of Pets? Well those toys still sell in the stores. SpyGear, ya there’s a section in the toy isle for that stuff too. How about rock and roll memorabilia? Do you think there could be any money in that? Look at their past products too.

The companies name is taste makers. I think they will be marketing the shit out of these for years.

And bed bath and beyond are one of their main featured retailers. Just have a look at the link.

#570 1 year ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

And bed bath and beyond are one of their main featured retailers. Just have a look at the link.

I know who they are and what they do. BB&B being a featured retailer of their products is one thing, being a featured retailer of *this* product is something different. Yes BB&B is mentioned on the main company website with the 1up arcade page, because all their product pages use the same CSS script in the HTML5 coding. It's still noticeably absent from the actual products website, which was part of my original counterpoint. Gamestop and FYE are also on there and not renowned for appealing strictly to women/single mothers.

If you want to know about the quality of the company, just look at their website, specifically:
https://www.tastemakersllc.com/about_the_team.html

They haven't updated that page in over 2 years! "Tastemakers also manufactures and markets novelty products for the upcoming July 2016 release “Secret Life of Pets”."

Quoted from 85vett:

The big one is lag. Early on in the conversations people thought their may be excessive lag. I'm not talking about frame rate types of lag but more along the lines of input lag. Kind of like some experience with Virtual Pinball. I'd also like to hear about gameplay from those that maybe own or have played a MAME cab and aren't going to just diss it because it's made like IKEA furniture (True story, my IKEA entertainment center is 10 years old and rock solid by the way...) or doesn't have top of the line buttons.

These are basically stripped down Pandoras boxes, with the A13 CPU. The stripped down part is the lack of pin headers and SD card slot, but the architecture is the same. If you can handle the emulation of the PB, this is fine for that. Controls are going to boil down to preference. For SF, I prefer a nice Happ Comp not a knock off Sanwa with a balltop that constantly comes off midgame (citation: multiple youtube reviews)

Ive had MAME cabs, Ive made them from scratch, Ive converted cabs. Ive used Pandora's boxes before. Ive used cheap controls, Ive used pricey controls (im lookin at you Sanwa octogon gates!) Ive used CoinOps on XBOX. I figured to be a pretty level headed guy to give an objective look at these. I didn't like having my opinion dismissed because "these weren't made for me"

I have to repeat that I think the concept is great, and while some of the details are great (like using a 4:3 LCD) some aren't (like not protecting the CPO art at first) . The good and the bad should both be discussed without dismissing either based on who you think they are built for or who they aren't built for.

#571 1 year ago

I don't notice any lag on mine. It plays fine. QC could be better. No problem putting it together but it has more than a few blemishes.

#572 1 year ago

4 pack of Hatchimals colleggtible, plus some bonus creature thing for $4.49 today @ Amazon!!!!!!!

amazon.com link »

I always give out some better treats to kids on Halloween that have really good costumes, these seem ideal for the younger ones.

81l3u4M0F6L._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

#573 1 year ago

I'm still waiting on my "Deluxe" Atari cab from Best Buy and I am getting pretty excited for it.

There are some bad reviews and imperfections...but that could be a GOOD thing. Sometimes the unintended consequences are the best...

1. Younger generations could get into the retro feel of these games. For example: vinyl has made a comeback since it has retro flair, great sound quality, tactile appeal, great art, etc...
2. Arcade1UP will learn from these mistakes and their second series will be better (hopefully)
3. Interest in MAME and PiEMUs could spike
4. Full-size video games are the gateway drugs to pinball machines
5. Those who are disappointed might want to do BETTER and get into the full-size cabs
6. People disappointed in these will have them on CraigsList this spring for cheap. Garage sales, Here I come!

#574 1 year ago

I'm on board with all those points except Pis. They are great for small form factor cabs (like bartops) but I'll take a 2nd gen (sandy Bridge) i5 over a pi any day. The funny thing about #6 is they are already on Craigslist and eBay for inflated prices.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I love the bad photoshop job on this riser auction: ebay.com link » Arcade1up Riser

#575 1 year ago
Quoted from Malenko:

The funny thing about #6 is they are already on Craigslist and eBay for inflated prices.

That is because they are hard to find right now. Give it time and once the demand is met these things will be popping up left and right after the novelty wears off.

#576 1 year ago
Quoted from Malenko:

EDIT: Almost forgot, I love the bad photoshop job on this riser auction:

s-lklkk1600 (resized).jpg
#577 1 year ago
Quoted from BoJo:

That is because they are hard to find right now. Give it time and once the demand is met these things will be popping up left and right after the novelty wears off.

Yep.

Or some other companies will start making compatible risers and bring the price way down.

-

Myself, I'm thinking of cutting the bottom off and just making a bar top unit

#578 1 year ago

I have all five cabs on order at wal-mart; asteroids, centipede, rampage, street fighter 2, and the wal-mart exclusive Galaga, I'm really on the fence now for no good reason, other than that Im starting to care less about them...

I own all of these real arcades except rampage. I guess I could post them up for a few extra bux after they arrive, meh

Someone push me over the edge please

#579 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I have all five cabs on order at wal-mart; asteroids, centipede, rampage, street fighter 2, and the wal-mart exclusive Galaga, I'm really on the fence now for no good reason, other than that Im starting to care less about them...
I own all of these real arcades except rampage. I guess I could post them up for a few extra bux after they arrive, meh
Someone push me over the edge please

Well if you already own the real arcade machines what are you hoping to get out of these versions?

#580 1 year ago

Good video showing the difference in size between the Arcade1Ups (on a riser), a cabaret, and a full size Dig Dug. As someone who owns all of the above, I'm fine with it.

#581 1 year ago
Quoted from brad808:

Well if you already own the real arcade machines what are you hoping to get out of these versions?

...a vast sense of superiority!

#582 1 year ago

Reading posts on Facebook, people are asking about mods Lit headers, might be a market for someone that wanted to kit up a plexi and lighting system for these

#583 1 year ago

This guy says other than scratches, the cab is solid and after 1.5 hours of playing, this thing is "straight up arcade".

#584 1 year ago

This guy reviews Rampage and Street Fighter that he bought:

#585 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

This guy says other than scratches, the cab is solid and after 1.5 hours of playing, this thing is "straight up arcade".

When a YouTuber in a room full of dolls says it's "straight up arcade" then that's enough for me.

(Like... really, that's enough.)

#586 1 year ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

When a YouTuber in a room full of dolls says it's "straight up arcade" then that's enough for me.

I'd hate the introduce him to pinball, because you know he'd be 'that guy' gluing dolls all over his machine

#587 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

This guy reviews Rampage and Street Fighter that he bought:

I assume it was the camera angle vs. the cheap LCD screen but that Street Fighter game looked like it used CGA era coloring/shading.

...and would it kill them to try to at least simulate the scanlines?

#588 1 year ago

I don't get why you would get these if you owned the real thing. They are great for those like me that want a little arcade action without diving in the deep end. It would be cool if the marquee lit up but that would of drove the cost up. It's fine for what it is. Pull up a chair and everything is just fine.

#589 1 year ago

Yeah, that's the bad photshop pic. Does that guy not look shopped into place to you?

#590 1 year ago

What's wrong with Bed Bath and Beyond?

Also what single mom is gonna spend $300 on this when $100 gets them a tablet for their app zombie kids?

#591 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I was thinking the same thing. Haven't ordered one though.

#592 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Great idea! Thanks.

#593 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd hate the introduce him to pinball, because you know he'd be 'that guy' gluing dolls all over his machine

Can you imagine this guy getting his hands on a f'ing Simpsons?

#594 1 year ago

When they first started selling these it was just BB&B, Bestbuy and Wallmart, but now they've even added Home Depot @ $399 deluxe with riser!

Looks like they are now trying to market to the 18% of single parent households headed by men.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ARCADE1UP-Arcade-1UP-Deluxe-with-Risers-815221025172/306319102

arcade1up-computer-accessories-815221025172-4f_1000 (resized).jpg
#595 1 year ago

RetroPie step by step installation

#596 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Welcome to my post 29 on page 1 of this thread

#597 1 year ago

Most of my cabs are Japanese, sit down style. Wonder if the same height stools would work for these.

DoT2gEBU4AABdIY.jpg-large (resized).jpeg

#598 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Retropie is where it is at, but the ready made images and ROMS are getting harder to come by with the recent crackdown. But hell, my one image has 8,350 games on a $26 125 gb micro SD.

#599 1 year ago

You can easily cut the bottom end off of these things. I think it would still be a bit big for table top. You could also chop the back off and mount it on a wall. There is nothing really inside of it besides the display and control panel.

Anyone got a good suggestion for stools that work well for sit down games that don't cost too much?

#600 1 year ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Yeah, that's the bad photshop pic. Does that guy not look shopped into place to you?

He doesn't look photoshopped in. But it does look like there's been a window or something photoshopped out. That wall to his right has obviously been photoshopped.

The tell for him actually being there is the reflection. It's too good for someone to have photoshopped him.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.99
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 0.35
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 319.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 299.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 92.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 75.00
Playfield - Other
Great American Pinball
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
There are 2718 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 55.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside