(Topic ID: 55448)

$29 Backglass LED (For Stern and tubed back boxes)

By Jean-Luc-Picard

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Rock914
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dimmer.jpg
light.jpg
genesis.jpg
Playboy_under_cabinet_leds.JPG
51JoJrOtF7L._SY300_.jpg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Pretty cool LED mod idea. $29 LED RGB strip with controller used to animate boring Stern back glass. Simply peal and stick. The main tube is turned off because my phone cant adjust to the light. But it is normally turned on which light sup the middle. Also the tube Is shielded in the front to reduce glare on the glass.

51JoJrOtF7L._SY300_.jpg51JoJrOtF7L._SY300_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AR6A3K/ref=oh_details_o01_s02_i00

#2 11 years ago

Under-cab lighting SCORE.

#3 11 years ago

Now TSPP looks like a party!

#4 11 years ago

Looks good. How do you have it wired up for power?

#5 11 years ago

When you turn it on, does it still remember the last color set?

#6 11 years ago

I ran the IR remote sensor out the back and the included power supply runs down and out the bottom. I just turn it on via the controller. yes, it remembers what you last picked. you also can make you your own color. It has individual controls for R G B and you can save them to 6 buttons.

#7 11 years ago

This is for the 3528 style which is where each LED can only be one color at a time. The 5050 style is more what pinheads would want. Good find though !!!

#8 11 years ago

I use reels of these for cabinet lighting and stuff. I always thought these are what you guys have been using for toppers and under cab lighting already.

These parts are "interchangeable" so you can add big power supplies, repeaters, sound active controllers, etc....

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from pinball_erie:

This is for the 3528 style which is where each LED can only be one color at a time. The 5050 style is more what pinheads would want. Good find though !!!

It also has some settings where it alternates colors. So the strip will be a combination of colors at the same time.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I use reels of these for cabinet lighting and stuff. I always thought these are what you guys have been using for toppers and under cab lighting already.
These parts are "interchangeable" so you can add big power supplies, repeaters, sound active controllers, etc....

yep, I use them for cabinet lighting as well. Just the first time I put them in a backbox.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

yep, I use them for cabinet lighting as well. Just the first time I put them in a backbox.

My wife calls her kitchen "the disco kitchen". I put these instead of halogens under her cabinets and she loves the ability to "mood" her kitchen. I get a kick out of putting it on one of the pulsing modes.

#12 11 years ago

They are fun They are better quality than some others I have. These have a gel coating. Will also be using these for 2 Playfield wall art. Back lighting with gel plastic behind all the holes. Scared Stiff and Star trek 25th

#13 11 years ago

Does anybody know if it has a "blacklight" option, which will work with blacklight responsive art? If this one doesn't, does anybody know a set that does?
--Ed LI NY

#14 11 years ago

You can buy them. I think cointaker sells the kit for around $150. comes with a hinged door and LED's. Not sure if that one animates. But their are a few companies making what you want.

#16 11 years ago

Hope a follow up question is not pain in the butt.
How does one know if they are able to do the blacklight lighting? I searched around the superbrights website you linked for me, and I couldn't find anything that specifically says the lights can do it or not. To me, they look like the one the OP posted, as they seem to be able to do a variety of lighting.

I also asked cointaker if theirs do blacklight, and they are looking in to it.

Thanks in advance

#17 11 years ago

I've been buying these from China, they are all over Ebay and shipping is usually free or minimal.

You can use them just about anywhere on a pin to brighten up areas, very flexible as you can cut the strips every 3rd LED. You don't need the controller stuff, (although it's nice for certain applications) the strips wire directly into the 12V circuit on the pin, giving the RGB ones 7 different colors, and if you wanted to experiment with resistors, many more colors are possible.

#18 11 years ago

thats a very good price, controler power supply (don't need it if it's for stern 12 volts in the cab already there just make a plug) and everything.
this is exactly what i've been using for cabinet, easy to install and works perfectly but if you want red or any dark color you need to go with 5050 for a stronger led.

#19 11 years ago

More photos of pinsider pinball would be cool. Thanks.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

Hope a follow up question is not pain in the butt.
How does one know if they are able to do the blacklight lighting? I searched around the superbrights website you linked for me, and I couldn't find anything that specifically says the lights can do it or not. To me, they look like the one the OP posted, as they seem to be able to do a variety of lighting.
I also asked cointaker if theirs do blacklight, and they are looking in to it.
Thanks in advance

In the color selection, choose the uv black light option..... That's the only "color" you get with the uv ones, it's not an rgb led.

And the link I gave you takes you directly to the list of uv strips, with that as the color filter already turned on. No need to browse the site to find them.

#21 11 years ago

More photos of pinsider pinball would be cool. Thanks.

exactly the same thing here on my playboy.

Playboy_under_cabinet_leds.JPGPlayboy_under_cabinet_leds.JPG

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

In the color selection, choose the uv black light option..... That's the only "color" you get with the uv ones, it's not an rgb led.
And the link I gave you takes you directly to the list of uv strips, with that as the color filter already turned on. No need to browse the site to find them.

Thanks!

#23 11 years ago

I put one of those on my genesis back box and usually just leave set on pink

genesis.jpggenesis.jpg

#24 11 years ago

What is the difference between the 3528 style and the 5050 style?? And the one in the link the op posted won't ship to Canada. Anyone know where you can get a set in Canada for a comparable price?

#25 11 years ago

Genesis 1:3 And Pinball God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

#26 11 years ago

Pretty cool LED mod idea. $29 LED RGB strip with controller used to animate boring Stern back glass. Simply peal and stick. The main tube is turned off because my phone cant adjust to the light. But it is normally turned on which light sup the middle. Also the tube Is shielded in the front to reduce glare on the glass.
» YouTube video

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AR6A3K/ref=oh_details_o01_s02_i00

Can you take a picture of your backbox with the glass off so I can see where you placed the lights? Can you put the lights in the backbox and under cabinet? Is there enough lights in one set to do it?

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

What is the difference between the 3528 style and the 5050 style?? And the one in the link the op posted won't ship to Canada. Anyone know where you can get a set in Canada for a comparable price?

try e-bay, thats where i got mine.
5050 are stronger.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

try e-bay, thats where i got mine.
5050 are stronger.

Thank you I will try!

#29 11 years ago

Try the Canadian Amazon.ca
(Happy Canada Day btw)

Canada: http://www.amazon.ca/ZITRADES-Waterproof-Changing-Flexible-Controller/dp/B00DDJUIWU/ref=sr_1_1

Bit more expensive in Canada, eh.

#31 11 years ago

Oh nice! I mean on amazon, my friends in Canada always complain about amazon prices compared to the states.

#32 11 years ago

What do you guys recommend the 3528 or the 5050??

#33 11 years ago

Here is a photo. I could have done it a bit more elegant but I was really hung over this morning when I put them on lol. Run the power down into the cabinet and out but dont forget to stick the IR sensor out the back or you wont be able to use your remote.

Also, I recommend putting some tape on your tube to prevent glass glare. Use heat resistant tape and keep it away from the ends. Wont damage the bulb nor will it burn. The gap in the middle is to prevent a shadow on marges head.

light.jpglight.jpg

#34 11 years ago

To be honest, the 3528's are pretty dang bright. But maybe with the stronger ones you could just take out the tube and only use the led's. If you wanted to get fancy make a hinged door and mount the leds to it. then your light would be directly behind the art. I have it on the sides because I still want to use my tube.

#35 11 years ago

Here is a photo. I could have done it a bit more elegant but I was really hung over this morning when I put them on lol. Run the power down into the cabinet and out but dont forget to stick the IR sensor out the back or you wont be able to use your remote.
Also, I recommend putting some tape on your tube to prevent glass glare. Use heat resistant tape and keep it away from the ends. Wont damage the bulb nor will it burn. The gap in the middle is to prevent a Shadow on marges head.

Oh that's how you did it around the perimeter. NICE!
Now stick the IR sensor out the back of where?

#36 11 years ago

On some pins you will see a plastic cap. Pop that out and you have a hole. If you just have vents you could try sticking it by the mesh, you may still get an IR connection. Or pop the mesh out.

#37 11 years ago

Another comment about which to pick. I would go with the stronger ones that beatmaster has. You can always dim them.

#38 11 years ago

On some pins you will see a plastic cap. Pop that out and you have a hole. If you just have vents you could try sticking it by the mesh, you may still get an IR connection. Or pop the mesh out.

I'm looking to do it on my XMEN and Tron. I don't know if theres holes in the backbox, I will check. I think the way you have it set up in your video is amazing! Would it be possible to put them around the perimeter like you did plus run them under the cabinet for under cab lighting or do you have to choose one or the other?

#39 11 years ago

Another comment about which to pick. I would go with the stronger ones that beatmaster has. You can always dim them.

That was my next question bombardment to you. So the 5050 style you can dim or only the brand beatmaster uses?

#40 11 years ago

if it has a remote you can dim the light. However if you use any of the features like strobe you can not dim the light. You can only dim solid color mode. but, you could also just buy a standard outlet dimmer. should be able to find one in any hardware store.

dimmer.jpgdimmer.jpg

#41 11 years ago

if it has a remote you can dim the light. However if you use any of the features like strobe you can not dim the light. You can only dim solid color mode. but, you could also just buy a standard outlet dimmer. should be able to find one in any hardware store.

Cool thanks! So Would it be possible to put them around the perimeter like you did plus run them under the cabinet for under cab lighting or do you have to choose one or the other?

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I'm looking to do it on my XMEN and Tron. I don't know if theres holes in the backbox, I will check. I think the way you have it set up in your video is amazing! Would it be possible to put them around the perimeter like you did plus run them under the cabinet for under cab lighting or do you have to choose one or the other?

The cool thing about these strips is you can attach more. they come in 16.5 so you can just keep attaching them. Think the max is 3, cant remember. But if you want to extend them, buy one with a remote then buy one without the remote or power supply to save some money. What you can do with these strips is limitless. Love them, produce no heat, wont fade artwork and use minimal electricity.

#43 11 years ago

These strips are great for many things. Like R2D2 xmas tree topper lol

#44 11 years ago

The cool thing about these strips is you can attach more. they come in 16.5 so you can just keep attaching them. Think the max is 3, cant remember. But if you want to extend them, buy one with a remote then buy one without the remote or power supply to save some money. What you can do with these strips is limitless. Love them, produce no heat, wont fade artwork and use minimal electricity.

Thank you. You are da man!

#45 11 years ago

Use 5050, you can get extremely creative with them more so than you may be aware. Check out this video this is a 5050 rgb strip no remote. Jean let me know if you want to get really creative with the translight in your TSPP.

#46 11 years ago

Can these get powered from the splitter Terry sells on PBL?

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

Use 5050, you can get extremely creative with them more so than you may be aware. Check out this video this is a 5050 rgb strip no remote. Jean let me know if you want to get really creative with the translight in your TSPP.
» YouTube video

What, that is awesome! How do you work it into the game like that?

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

» YouTube video

Yeah I would love to do that Is it a kit? Really amazing! Please tell

#49 11 years ago

Yeah I would love to do that Is it a kit? Really amazing! Please tell
Quick question for you guys. on TSPP I am installing a Pinovators Headphone jack, done 2 already on my other machines and was easy. BUT I cant pull out the Connector on the Soundboard. the thing is REALLY tight. Dont I just pull these or do I have to pop them out or something? If I pull hard it will break the board.

Not a kit it's a diy thats how I Rock. There is a lot of info to cover JLP. I will pm you with some detail tomorrow night i'm fairly busy. I can tell you that you will be able to pluck that tube out of tspp and smash it on the ground! This is way over beginner level btw.

#50 11 years ago

Can these get powered from the splitter Terry sells on PBL?

yes

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Ogden, UT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
7,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wellington, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 174.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 218.00
$ 16.00
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.