Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by goatdan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

batman forever calls for a 192x64 big dmd dot matrix, but is it possible to use a 256x64 dmd?

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #3 11 years ago

was thinking if the plugs were the same i could modify it in someway to fit

#8 11 years ago

or attempt to get it fixed. It's not a long lasting fix.. but could help you out for a month or 2.

#9 11 years ago

where can u send it off to, to get it fixed?

#10 11 years ago

..I'm from England & have a contact who can sometimes fix DMD's

Try using the search at the top of the forum page.

#11 11 years ago

BVM doesn't have a clue what he is talking about, as usual. BF is a great machine. The large display is pricey, and the issue with these segas that had it. I have a new extra one I got off a guy on RGP when I had a BF for a back up. I keep meaning to sell it.

I bought it for $350, you can have it for that plus shipping if you want it. I was keeping it for another large DMD machine if I came across one, but that is unlikely at this point. I believe through MAD is $450 plus tax and shipping. For an extra $50, I'll throw in another one I have with two lines out and some minor gassing. That should keep you safe for a long time.

As for repairs, if there is a line or two out, that is one thing, but the repairs would still like be $100-$200. If it is gassing, there is no repair. Even with a line out, it may be in your interests to buy another anyway, as I don't expect them to be available for too many more years.

#12 11 years ago

how much is shipping?

#13 11 years ago

I don't know. I don't sell much, I'm a bit of a hoarder. I can find out if you want. pm me with your address, and I'll call and get a price.

What is wrong with yours anyway? Is it gassing?

#14 11 years ago

Are you sure the display is bad?

I've had two Batman Forever's that the display liked to blank out on because of inconsistencies in the power supply. (Not a solid +5v through the connector as it ages).

There is a fix, and a way to re-wire it. http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/sb106.pdf

Again, this might not apply to you. Generally this helps the oversize displays that are "blanking out" sporadically.

Just worth a shot before you invest a lot into a new display.

Batman Forever is a really good game. It is certainly worth trying to get fixed.

Pete

#15 11 years ago

when i bought the pinball machine this year, the guy said that it didn't light up, i brought it home and it still never came back on, its just black, the machine it self works perfect, and i checked the fuses, i took them all out and used a volt meter and they are all fine

#16 11 years ago

Ok, you may just have an issue with the PS or the 5v connector on the DMD controller may need to be repinned. I'm guessing PS issued, as the latter still gives you the rom version, then goes black.

You will want to explore this before spending the $$$. Look at the PS where the connector for the DMD connects. Check all the voltages on the DMD, and if one is missing back track from there.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Ok, you may just have an issue with the PS or the 5v connector on the DMD controller may need to be repinned. I'm guessing PS issued, as the latter still gives you the rom version, then goes black.

You will want to explore this before spending the $$$. Look at the PS where the connector for the DMD connects. Check all the voltages on the DMD, and if one is missing back track from there.

Agreed.

A completely 100% dead DMD could certainly lead me to believe that the problem is elsewhere. (Unless the DMD is visibly damaged).

Sure, if may truly be dead...but I'd want to track down some more info before I bought a new one.

Pete

#18 11 years ago

the dmd never powers on any at all, the machine it self, lights etc do, the dmd always stays black from when u cut the machine on til hours later when i cut it off, it never cuts on not even for a sec

#19 11 years ago

You will need to verify all the voltages to the DMD. Do you have clay's guides? I'm on my work laptop now, so I can't post a link.

- If you're missing a voltage, it may be an easy fix.
    - If the voltages are all there, it may be the DMD controller board (they can go as well)
    - It could be the ribbon cable from the DMD controller to the display.

These are things you want to check.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

BVM doesn't have a clue what he is talking about, as usual. BF is a great machine. The large display is pricey, and the issue with these segas that had it. I have a new extra one I got off a guy on RGP when I had a BF for a back up. I keep meaning to sell it

It's on Ebay for $385 last I saw. The game is collectable and a solid pin. "part it out"??? "$300 table"?? No wonder everyone tilts this guy.

#23 11 years ago

Send me the details on this £275 BMF. I'll buy it.

#25 11 years ago

You guys kind of missed the boat on this. There were about 20 of these large 192x32 displays on ebay in April for $50 each. All tested and working. And it took them a while to sell them. They are all gone now though.

#27 11 years ago

I also missed the boat...

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from BVM:

The seller has just emailed me he let it go for £250.

WTF is the deal PP ? Honestly if you know please explain the difference in pricing UK -US . I know you are not making that shit up, so PLEASE explain to us the what and why of it.

But for the OP, kudos, when I read the topic I thought it might be. You just wanted to see if you could get that other DMD in the machine, get it to display, then figure out how to get everything back on, right? Grrreeeat idea, assuming you can source that other display for sub $50. I would try it out man, you not going to hurt the other display any more than it is by removing it. You could ruin the new one . If you decide to try it out, give us an update.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

You guys kind of missed the boat on this. There were about 20 of these large 192x32 displays on ebay in April for $50 each. All tested and working. And it took them a while to sell them. They are all gone now though.

Wow I would have bought one of those in quickly!

#32 11 years ago

Clay - I'm assuming you meant the 192x64, and if so, wow, that would have been great for anyone with one of these to ensure longevity.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from BVM:Deleted post

You know, I should have you round up a container of £250-£300 Batman Forevers and ship it to me in the states.

Holy smokes...I'd make a crap-ton of money!!

Pete

#40 11 years ago

Ok, thanks Robin for re-opening this post for the op. Again, send me your email, I'll send you what you need to check the voltages at the display, and we will go from there, back to the PS, and determine what is wrong.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from brandonmilam83:

Batman Forever calls for a 192x64 big dmd dot matrix, but is it possible to use a 256x64 dmd?

I don't think anyone mentioned this but if you somehow could connect the larger DMD wouldn't you need different ROMS for the extra dots?

#42 11 years ago

Check the Sega service bulletins on Batman Forever. There was one that gave you a better power feed to the DMD itself. When I got mine, the DMD wasn't working and I did that and it has been just fine ever since

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/256x64-dmd-inside-batman-forever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.