22 (resized).png
17 (resized).png
16 (resized).png
15 (resized).png
14 (resized).png
13 (resized).png
12 (resized).png
11 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from wugly:

had a corrosion problem on a harlem globetrotters. rebuilt the board using a corrosion repair kit and the game worked fine. decided to write new roms using 2732 with freeplay code, I changed the jumpers. I believe I got everything right. tried to boot the game and the game wouldn't start. game is at friends house and I think the led came on for a moment then went off. took board home and tried to get it to start at home on test bench using a test grade power supply not a pc power supply. If I take off the 12 volt power from tp2 then reattach I get the 6 blinks. seven if I put in the voltage for tp3. what could I have broken during this switch or are the proms causing me reset problems?

The bally MPU's power on reset was designed around how the voltages come up in a linear power supply. A PC power supply may not reset the board properly and leave you with a locked on LED.

If you get all the flashes by manually resetting then the MPU is probably OK unless there is some kind of reset problem beyond that you are using a PC power supply.

You can gently flex on the MPU and chips while you have it on the bench to see if it locks up. Otherwise check the voltages using the test points of the MPU while it is in the game. Taking the board out may have taken out a marginal connector.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from wugly:

checked the test points on the mpu while it was in the game and everything was correct

Perhaps the reset section is damaged. With the 12v off of the MPU the reset (cpu pin 40) should be low, 0v. With the 12v connected it should go high. With a linear power supply you should see p40 of the CPU be low right when you power up the game and then go high a moment later once the 12v raises high enough.

You are in pretty good shape if you get 6 flashes on the bench. Really not that much else to lock up the mpu while in the game vs bench top.

1 week later
#7 4 years ago
Quoted from wugly:

Can not figure out why the board refuses to boot in the pinball machine. I check the test points on the mpu board and driver board and get 5.03 volts. the mpu gets 13.6 volts tp2. 5.03 on tp1 and 5. game flickers and does not startup when only j4 connector hooked up. take the board out of game and it boots on a test bench setup 6 times and I get the seventh if I rig the 22 volts up too it. ran power in thru the pins instead of test points on bench to check that off the list. reconverted the board back to original roms and it boots only on the bench. found out my friend replaced the plug on the game after we took a working board out and he had reversed the hot and neutral before my first test after rewiring the mpu, power looked good then. We changed the wiring to the correct configuration but the board still only boots on test bench and not in game. nothing else connected but j4 and I unplugged the sound card. thinking about rebuilding the solenoid driver voltage regulator board. put meter on ac voltage to test 5 volt and I got an intitial reading of .4 which cycle down to 0

Does it boot in the game if you manually put the MPU into reset?

Make sure the zero crossing circuit is working okay and nothing shorting to adjacent pins. I have seen a MPU only boot on the bench but not in a game because the zero cross input track going to the PIA was shorted to something. It only caused a problem when the 43v was attached to J4. The zero cross input to PIA has a long track that goes right next to a bunch of socket pins that can be shorted out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 199.95
$ 10.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2518-35-booting-problem?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.