Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 382 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by RipleYYY
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210316_210312 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210102_002433_nl.marktplaats.android (resized).jpg
    cdf968bd7a04033c43d864c489db4188f33b6952.jpeg (resized).jpg
    Road Deaths (resized).JPG
    Drug Use (resized).JPG
    027b60262a371002c393c2fffb42b7eb4b4027d98755fa3e0b38af617bcaff65 (resized).jpg
    AE5D51B6-5B7C-4C45-B8BE-18FC7475F6F6 (resized).png
    0A5F2947-3B68-41D8-9551-CE4A042DA5F5 (resized).jpeg
    ACEEABCF-37C5-48B6-8FBD-80DACF25C6FE.gif
    16066429843051906989092988412651 (resized).jpg
     (resized).png
    6D005986-9035-4AB7-BB23-78EF9F82D419 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20201116_140132_com.android.chrome (resized).jpg
    image-asset (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j85m.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 3 years ago

The genius of the EU is truly on display with this one, from reading the various articles it seems to be their idea of kicking back at Trump due to a breakdown in relations and trade negotiations.

But all this does is hurt their own businesses in the EU that rely on products from the US, talking pinball there’s no way Stern and JJP will swallow up the increase at their end, so that will fall to the distributors and customers in the EU.

Other than the guys with more money than sense, is anyone else over this side of the pond going to pay £8100 ($10,700) for a Pro!?

Hopefully this is just temporary, otherwise Stern and JJP are going to take massive hits on orders, prices where already reaching a ceiling over this side of the pond, with this tariff prices just blew the roof off!

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

But he said that China is paying for the tariffs implemented here, not the people paying more for the Chinese products imported. By that logic doesn't it mean that the U.S. will be covering the increases in pinball prices for you EU guys?

That was my first thought Stern and JJP will cover this for all their European customers... then I laughed and came back to reality

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Let's see the bright side: no tariff increase on Homepin. Thunderbirds for the win!!
    I kid, I kid...

Ah but you have to think about it from all angles, I mean if someone had a gun to your head and said you must order a pin right now!

Would you take the 25% hit or go with a thunderbirds? No way I’d pay the 25% extra so I’d seriously be considering the bullet before buying a thunderbirds

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

I think Celts by Haggis in Australia would be a better option here

Luckily for us in the U.K. this tariff should hopefully end on Jan 1st when we officially leave the EU.

I’ve had a lot of great pinheads in Europe help me out with stuff in the past, so if any of those guys need something and that 25% is going to make it un-buyable for them, I’ll happily ship them some pinball stuff marked as Made in the U.K.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crrispy:

That's very kind from you, could be VERY useful for expensive spare parts too.

No problem at all mate! We get absolutely hammered already on the price of pins in Europe and the U.K, this new 25% tariff makes buying games impossible to justify, unless your one of those with bottomless pockets and more money than sense.

The fact it hits parts/anything made in the U.S. is a major strain on EU pinheads and the businesses that rely on a lot of sales to the EU, got to look out for eachother, governments sure as shit won’t.

#77 3 years ago

The way I read into the info on our Gov website is that anything that arrives at customs after 10/11/20 is subject to the tariff tax.

It’s definitely worth calling your local import/excise and confirm if it will effect you, knowing these governments we have they will return your item but still expect you to pay the bill for all their hard work handling it.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

From what I heard it's not when the game was already in transit..

Yeah the date it lands seems to be when you get hit, so anything arriving after 10/11/20 is going to be subject to the new tariff rates.

No idea how the EU think this is going to help EU business that rely on trade with the U.S. anyone who’s business involves buying anything subject to the new tariffs from the U.S. like Freddys, pu-parts etc, it’s going to hit them hard.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Faust:

Well mine was planned fortransport, but not picked up yet.
    Now my new plan is to keep it in the US in storage until the tariff is removed. 25% is senseless (note that after this you get also a 21% VAT if it’s a private purchase).
    So suppose you buy a part of 100 euro, then its 125 after the tariff making it roughly 150.
    To make it extra fun: shipment costs are taken into this calcation.
    So normally when I buy mods from
    the US I get the 21% only over value+shipment.
    So people can’t buy mods at normal prices either anymore.
    This rule does exactly what it is supposed to: stop everyone from buying anything from these category of items.

As of next year mate order the stuff send it to my UK address and I’ll send it over to you with “made in the U.K” printed on the box, EU can suck it on that 25%!

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from Faust:

I doubt the pinball manufacturers will mind; if only 15% is export and export drops with 40-50% then Gary Stern’s 5000 games backlog shrinks just with a tiny bit hehe

Could be misreading your post but isn’t export about 60% of Sterns business?

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from Faust:

Oh I thought some said 15%
    I have no exact numbers on any of this info... So I’m likely wrong

I don’t know exactly either not sure anyone other than Stern does but there export has to be as big if not more than their domestic. This could be a big hit for Stern there’s a lot of EU buyers out there hit by this.

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

Any news how European dealers and handling this situation ?
    Saw on facebook comments that some dealers stopped all their orders, but also that a JJP dealer was asking their customers on GnR to pay extra..
    And I'm not sure about Stern, but I thought their official dealers were obliged to take a certain number of pins of each title - so they won't have a chance to cancel everything and have to buy Stern pins at the increased rate ?

Distributors here have stopped their shipments until next year, but we are in a fortunate position that this tariff might not affect us in the U.K. once the new year rolls in and we are out of the EU.

As for the rest of EU, this can’t be good and dealers/distributors must be cancelling orders and stopping shipments, I just can’t imagine more than a very small amount of people continuing a purchase with 25% slapped onto the already high EU prices.

#151 3 years ago

This tariff takes an already expensive Stern LE and knocks it up to £13k GBP that’s approx $18k USD. A pro here in the U.K. will be pushing towards £8.5k that’s $11.2k USD!

There’s a few that may still buy who have bottomless pockets but the majority of the NIB market here in the U.K. and E.U. has just been obliterated by this tariff, I’ve been buying NIB since 2009 and I’m now out!

#186 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

If Europe is really 40-65% of Stern's market as some in this thread have speculated, then it might not be so crazy to build those machines locally. Of course in addition to all the hassles of learning how to do business in a new regulatory environment, there's the problem of what Stern would do with that nice big facility they moved to in 2015.

They could easily cover that portion of the new facility lost to a production line in EU, just rent that portion of it out to JJP so they can finally get 2 titles out a year

#207 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

The euro has been appreciating against the dollar, maybe that will help offset some of the tariff.

ACEEABCF-37C5-48B6-8FBD-80DACF25C6FE.gifACEEABCF-37C5-48B6-8FBD-80DACF25C6FE.gif
    #211 3 years ago
    Quoted from cybevenom:

So here is something to think about for me this weekend.

Looking at those prices it took me 3 seconds to say to myself yep I’m still out!

I’m just hopeful this 25% tariff is abolished when we leave the EU, hopefully not to long after that you guys see the same thing happen too.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j85m.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/25-punitive-tariff-on-pinball-machines-for-eu-customers?tu=j85m and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.