7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pnisnose.jpg
    bumper.gif
    F---paypal.jpg
    karma.jpg
    Four_thumbs_down.jpg
    Where-Heart.gif
    troll.JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Just an observation, but it seems like bad karma to use pinside so much and not give back.

And sure, you can deduct some of my points for mentioning this.

#2 7 years ago

Just an observation.

But maybe some donate what they can.

Some it may be money.

Some help is all they can give.

Not everybody has money these days.

To single them out is uncalled for.

Unless you want them to go away. Then just say so. They probably have better things to do.

Lloyd

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Just an observation, but it seems like bad karma to use pinside so much and not give back.

You are assuming they are "using pinside". I would suggest that anyone who posts that much is likely "contributing to pinside" in ways other than financial... present company included.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

You don't have that many to spare rookie.

#5 7 years ago

Oh, and welcome to pinside
    Is it possible to have negative kharma? LOL!

#6 7 years ago

This thread is in poor taste. Just bad form.

When you posted your first thread and asked a question, did you pay the folks that responded?

#7 7 years ago

stop bragging, seriously...

-jon

#8 7 years ago

LTG hit the nail on the head.

#9 7 years ago

LTG> Your knowledge is priceless!!! Thanks for all you do and share!!!

#10 7 years ago

I also appreciate all the people on here willing to give advice and help. I know LTG has helped me on more than one occasion. I donate $ because money is about the only thing I can donate, being a newbie with very little knowledge.

#11 7 years ago

I don't think I'm in the top 25% karma but I do fully intend to donate soon when I have a little change jingling in my pocket. Perhaps next month.

Also, it's not required, but appreciated, and I appreciate all that the pinside forum/site offers, so to show that appreciation, I will be donating when the means is there.

Appreciate ya RTS, but you can't drink the beer out my glass, son.

#13 7 years ago

Lame thread alert!
    Most everyone donated a ton to project pin to robin as well. No need for this thread.

#14 7 years ago

HA. News flash. If everyone paid $5 like you and didn't contribute anything, this board would be dead.

If nobody payed anything, but everyone contributed, I have a feeling this board would still be here thriving.

You and your donations are killing pinside!

Quoted from RTS:

#15 7 years ago

There are guys on here that should nearly be paid for all the free advice and help they provide. So ,let's just be grateful they are willing to spend the time on here helping peasants like me

#16 7 years ago

Most top karma contributors only contribute posts like "+1" and "me too"

#17 7 years ago

I donated but didn't get the little heart thingy.

The top Karma folks are one of this site's assets.

#18 7 years ago

There are many ways to help out the community, donating to pinside is just that.....a donation. A real donation is given, not asked for.

The makers of pinside put this out as a free service. It is there for everyone to enjoy, donations are appreciated, but not required. Quite frankly whether i choose to donate, is not your concern, that's like going to church and calling out the people who didn't give this week.....

Charity is a personal choice, there are many to choose from, pick one, and support something you believe in

#19 7 years ago

We all contribute in whatever way we can. I will readily pass on advice from my own experiences when ever possible (as limited as they are).

troll.JPG

#20 7 years ago

Maybe it's none of your business.

I helped Robin speed the site up a while back, I pay entirely out of my own pocket to run a similarly sized community server for something else. A little icon saying whether or not people donated doesn't tell that story, and to be honest I don't think there should be an icon at all.

My site does take donations. In total they covered about 2 months service, I've been paying for years. It's all totally anonymous though, I'd never dream of indicating it because it feels like guilt tripping the users.

#21 7 years ago

I think the heart needs to be removed from profiles and donations should be kept private. How someone spends their money isn't a public matter, and that dumb little heart has caused it's share of issues.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_johnson:

I donated but didn't get the little heart thingy.

And I've donated since the time listed in my profile, so the date of my donation isn't accurate. So I don't think you can automatically assume that all the info is accurate.

#23 7 years ago

Besides putting assistance out when I can and offering service or advice, I actually did donate to robins machine that everyone bought him. That however, does not get you a heart

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

If everyone paid $5 like you and didn't contribute anything, this board would be dead.
    If nobody payed anything, but everyone contributed, I have a feeling this board would still be here thriving.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

#25 7 years ago

That however, does not get you a heart

In my books it does!

Where-Heart.gif

#26 7 years ago

And asshat thread of the week goes to.........

#27 7 years ago

Four_thumbs_down.jpg

#28 7 years ago

I just want to say this: while donations are greatly appreciated as a way of saying thanks and to help maintain the site, they are also fully voluntary. As some have mentioned above, money is not the only way to help the Pinside - contributing quality content is also fantastic and equally appreciated! Sometimes I think it should be me donating to folks like LTG for all their help here on the boards!

So, donate if you can spare some cash and if you feel like doing so but please don't feel bad if you didn't! And please don't point at others who haven't done so.

As for the heart, this I thought was a fun way to show who had donated and also raise some awareness of the donate page. I never thought it would be viewed in a negative way. Hmm.

#29 7 years ago

I remember when it started, not that long ago. I thought it was pretty cool.

#30 7 years ago

I contributed to Robin's pin fund and I try to contribute to the site by participating in most tech threads. I've also helped pinsiders with parts, games, repairs, etc, often free or at cost. My reward for that is the fellowship of this group and the many virtual and real friends I've made here. If that makes me less of a member because I don't have a little heart next to my avatar then I'll accept that in good conscience.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

And asshat thread of the week goes to.........

Geez, I'm sorry for posting this. If it reminds anyone to donate, great. If not, no issue. It was only an observation I noticed with the Karma hall of fame. And I appreciate everyone's spirited response.

I think if we have karma points, we should also allow for negative karma. I am certainly guilty of it here, and I apologized for making my comment, and I accept the consequences. But also guilty are those who join the gang mentality and make posts like the one I've quoted above. If people could actually lose karma for nasty posts or comments, the number of them would decrease, and people would think twice before posting or responding to them.

I didn't intend to attack any individual, but I can't say the same about some of the responses.

I agree, get rid of the hearts - they should all be anonymous.

#32 7 years ago

Really? You didn't intend to attack?

" 25% of the top karma members never donated"

Anyone here would rather have LTG, Robetme , etc on this site than any $1000+ donation. Look through my posts and threads and fine another negative thing I've said on this forum. You might want to pack a lunch cuz its going to take you a while. If asshat offended you I would be more thoughtful about who you call out and criticize. Oh, and stay out of any thread thats about WOZ, JJP, stern, xmen, the next stern, milwax, don't say anything bad about cointaker or pinball life, robin, this site..... Oh and our top CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS. just a friendly warning. People get passionate about their pinball, what can I say.

#33 7 years ago

I donated because if I hadn't found this site I would have bought The Rolling Stones for full retail. (No offense to fans of The Rolling Stones or people who like to pay full retail, just not my cup of tea)
    But the info I have gotten from this site has been great, whether the people donated or not.

#34 7 years ago

Hearts should stay.

All it does is show a way you have contributed to the site. Just like your name is on Archive photos you have uploaded, or your name is on every post you make, or you name is on every thumbs up or thumbs down you make. In all of those instances you are being given credit for a "contribution" to the site. By the logic of take the heart away you might as well make the entire site anonymous.

Now from a logical point of view. The heart may remind, guilt or whatever people into making a monetary donation and that is good as well. Space on the internets is not free and a passive reminder makes good business sense.

#35 7 years ago

I didn't read a single word of this thread, I just dropped by for some free karma.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from generica:

I didn't read a single word of this thread, I just dropped by for some free karma.

+1

FREE KARMA

#38 7 years ago

/bored

karma.jpg

#39 7 years ago

Anyone here would rather have LTG, Robetme , etc on this site than any $1000+ donation. Look through my posts and threads and fine another negative thing I've said on this forum. You might want to pack a lunch cuz its going to take you a while. If asshat offended you I would be more thoughtful about who you call out and criticize. Oh, and stay out of any thread thats about WOZ, JJP, stern, xmen, the next stern, milwax, don't say anything bad about cointaker or pinball life, robin, this site..... Oh and our top CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS. just a friendly warning. People get passionate about their pinball, what can I say.

Dude I apologized already. No need to get defensive.

And if hearts stay, it would be nice if they were given for all types of contributions, not just monetary.

#40 7 years ago

Quoted from RTS:

Dude I apologized already. No need to get defensive.

And if hearts stay, it would be nice if they were given for all types of contributions, not just monetary.

CAGEMATCH!

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Congratulations, you're Not nice Actually I'm thinking more like 'Raging Dbag', but lets just settle with not nice. And you created the new Pinside ID and posed a mean question just to confirm it.

Keep apologizing until we all forgive you.

Part of post edited for violating Pinside rules

Post edited by absocountry2 : Violating rules

#42 7 years ago

No cage match! I couldnt care less. A few beers a I'm running my mouth. Having some fun on a silly thread.lmao

#43 7 years ago

I do agree hearts can stay. We all know who contributes what. Some of us money and some of us knowledge or services. Just another way you can contribute.

#44 7 years ago

I'm with pinster, you're not nice

EDIT: part of post edited for violating Pinside rules

Post edited by absocountry2 : Violating rules

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Not everybody has money these days.

Yeah - sadly, I know that all together too well right now.

I don't know if I'm up there or not, but I like to talk pinball, so I come here to talk about it with friends, especially because thanks to a career change, I'm now making less money in a year then I did *with a part time job at an arcade 12 years ago*.

I don't expect people to be sorry for me, and I am doing just fine - I haven't needed to sell any of my collection, which is far bigger than the two machines that I have listed, and some really weird circumstances allowed me to end up with a couple new machines this past year... but honestly, while I love the site I'm regularly trying to figure out how I can keep things together until my job situation changes - which with some luck could be next Friday - and pull off funding for the MGC at the same time.

I hope that my non-monetary contributions can make up for it.

#46 7 years ago

Apologies to Robin for my mini rant. I vote to kill the thread.

#47 7 years ago

I just keep checking the thread to see how many downthumbs the OP has got so far. 35 and counting...

#49 7 years ago

I'm always on Pinside, however, the reason I haven't donated is because of Paypal.

F---paypal.jpg

#50 7 years ago

Douche Canoe thread.

Good luck getting help in the future pissing on the people that make this site great.

Oh and welcome to pinside I think? Did RGP overfill?

I would say just stop worrying about other people what they do and where there money goes unless your in business with them. Just a good rule of thumb to avoid conflict.... you know like not talking religion or politics just not a good idea.

Have a great night

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Wheezer
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rods Mods
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 16.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 19.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 139.00
    $ 45.00
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside