Linked Games

• 24 Stern, 2009

Topic poll

“24”

• yes 23 votes
    46%
  • no 28 votes
    56%

(Multiple choice - 50 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150722_221120.jpg
SR.gif
20150717_144642.jpg
20150621_203310.jpg
Stern_24_-_03_Web.jpg
Stern_24_-_02_Web.jpg
Stern_24_-_01_Web.jpg
Stern_24_-_12_Web.jpg
Stern_24_-_02_Web.jpg
Stern_24_-_01_Web.jpg
Stern_24_-_03_Web.jpg
Stern_24_-_06_Web.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I have opportunity to purchase a 24 Stern. Is it worth the money? Is it a fun game? Does it seem like the software is incomplete? Is it competitive? Is it worth owning? What would the average price be routed?
Comments & advice appreciated

#2 8 years ago

I've never seen one go under $3500... I always play the one at game works outside Chicago... Not enough time on it to tell you more.

#3 8 years ago

if your a fan of the show you will enjoy it. if not pass

#4 8 years ago

What's the asking price?

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

What's the asking price?

Really. Is it worth the money?

#6 8 years ago

Really like mine.

#7 8 years ago

Worth money? Yes, some. Try rephrasing a little bit and you might get more useful information.

#8 8 years ago

I love the show. Hate the pin. I strongly advise that you play it for awhile before you buy it. Everyone has different taste so you may love it.

The last time I played it I said "this game sucks" out loud. As I turn around to see Steve Ritchie "who designed 24" standing behind me... awkward...

#9 8 years ago

Is it worth the money? Have no idea since you didn't give us the price.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

The last time I played it I said "this game sucks" out loud. As I turn around to see Steve Ritchie "who designed 24" standing behind me... awkward...

He probably didn't hear you.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

He probably didn't hear you.

Hope so, hate to accidentally disrespect him. I was just embarrassed and slowly walked away. lol

#12 8 years ago

The theme is pretty terrible for me, but i found the game fun to play. I liked the use of the drop targets in the middle of the playfield. There are linear modes you play through one by one and then there are three multiballs to stack on top of each other.

If one came up for a good price I would snatch it up.

#13 8 years ago

Incomplete code/design (Escape for example) sours it for me. Otherwise it's just ok anyway imo.

#14 8 years ago

I wouldn;t pay anywhere near 3500 for it. It's right up there with the worst looking machines of the last 30 years.

#15 8 years ago

I've only played in a handful of times. The game has some neat features, and I'd probably pick it up for the right price, but I certainly wouldn't pay top dollar for it, especially since feedback for it is so varied.

#16 8 years ago

Hope so, hate to accidentally disrespect him. I was just embarrassed and slowly walked away. lol

If it is any consultation, he is probably disapponted in the pin. He crapped on wpt once but i have thought it to be solid. More people probably like his "bad" pins than he does.

#17 8 years ago

Asking $3000 but would take less. routed with scratches in cabinet artwork. No leds but. Shopped out. Playfield and inserts are fine.

#18 8 years ago

Did he say "Play better!" in a gravely voice?

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

Asking $3000 but would take less. routed with scratches in cabinet artwork. No leds but. Shopped out. Playfield and inserts are fine.

Keep in mind that if it's not a keeper pin for you you're going to have a hell of a time unloading it when you're tired of it if the price isn't right. Not talking pins as investment, more like don't overpay for boat anchors.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Keep in mind that if it's not a keeper pin for you you're going to have a hell of a time unloading it when you're tired of it if the price isn't right. Not talking pins as investment, more like don't overpay for boat anchors.

Good advice. Never played the game, just watched youtube videos. Wanted to find out how pinsiders feel about the game so if it's not for me; others would have interest in purchasing especially if the price was responsible. My space is getting limited also.

#21 8 years ago

Notice in pics some cabinet wear on both sides of head and left by woman's head. Also playfield seems to have wear near word "Mole".

Stern_24_-_06_Web.jpgStern_24_-_06_Web.jpg

Stern_24_-_03_Web.jpgStern_24_-_03_Web.jpg

Stern_24_-_01_Web.jpgStern_24_-_01_Web.jpg

Stern_24_-_02_Web.jpgStern_24_-_02_Web.jpg

Stern_24_-_12_Web.jpgStern_24_-_12_Web.jpg

#22 8 years ago

Stern 24 - 02 Web.jpgStern 24 - 02 Web.jpgStern 24 - 01 Web.jpgStern 24 - 01 Web.jpg

#23 8 years ago

Stern 24 - 03 Web.jpgStern 24 - 03 Web.jpg

#24 8 years ago

I love the show. Hate the pin. I strongly advise that you play it for awhile before you buy it. Everyone has different taste so you may love it.

Lol

If you can't say something nice, Steve Ritchie is probably behind you.

#25 8 years ago

I think the game is great, never watched the show thusly no real desire to own one but I played it quite a bit and really liked it alot. Underated for sure.

#26 8 years ago

It's a fun pin, for sure. There is a lot going on that most people miss, it's a sneaky deep pin. Lots of modes & they are linear. I traded mine for a one of a kind BSD, I love my BSD but if would like another 24.

20150621_203310.jpg20150621_203310.jpg

20150717_144642.jpg20150717_144642.jpg

#27 8 years ago

Do you think that it's condition locks it in as a "player's" game and not a collectible therefore limiting it's desirability? What would be a fair price for it's condition?

Btw; sweet BSD

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Lol
If you can't say something nice, Steve Ritchie is probably behind you.

This was my face. After I looked at Steve Ritchie when I said my opinion.

SR.gifSR.gif

Quoted from dawasa:

Do you think that it's condition locks it in as a "player's" game and not a collectible therefore limiting it's desirability? What would be a fair price for it's condition?
Btw; sweet BSD

Based on your current very nice collection. I would have to say that 24 would become your machine with the least desirability. Also, may be very hard to sell in the future. Again, you need to play it. Try and find it, maybe a bar via "pinballmaps". plop in $20 and if you love it after all your quarters are gone. Buy it But, I don't think this game will last 24 hours....

#29 8 years ago

A friend stood there and played one for at least 20 minutes and was having the time of his life. Then the code ran out.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

Really like mine.

Glad you did as it was one of the few Sterns I did not like and out of all.the rare ones the only one I still do not own. I am happy you purchased it from me along with Big Buck Hunter but I still prefer the Buck or CSI, even NBA is more fun for me. We all like different ones which helps make this hobby so much fun and different.

#31 8 years ago

The theme also reminds me of Dirty Harry which I think is a much beer pin of the two.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

a much beer pin of the two

I THINK that I agree with that. Assuming that "beer" means "better", because beer IS better.

#33 8 years ago

Its a good game, but a HUO for more than $3000 is just whack.

#34 8 years ago

I like the way it shoots, but the callouts kill it for me.
I enjoyed playing it while it was at the shop, but could never see myself owning it.
if you can get him down to $2k, sure - why not?

#35 8 years ago

I get my Subaru serviced at the dealer and they have a 24 in the showroom. I play it while I wait for my car to be serviced. I find myself very bored by this pin and it makes me look at my watch and wish my car was ready. Don't know the tv show well, but agree the callouts are some of the worst I have ever heard. Pretty boring shots too.

I would spend the same money on a B title Bally/Williams from 80s or 90s.

#36 8 years ago

I owned the game for a while and had no problem selling it when I was done for $3500 range. The game is pretty ugly to look at but its pretty fun.

I wouldn't call the software incomplete. But it is somewhat unengaging - in that you don't get sucked in by it. There are several stages but you never really care (or know) which one you're in. The game has mini wizard and wizard modes implemented. I wouldn't call it incomplete. Lyman worked on it 18 months after its release and it's a lot better.

The shot flow is pretty fun. Decent flow and tight shots. Lots of hurry ups. If you like hurry ups then this game is for you. The helicopter and plane are super cheap looking but you can replace those with toys. I like the pop up targets a lot.

People tend to complain about the call outs. But I think they're well done. The actress that plays Chloe does original work on the game. People think she sounds too bland. But that's her personality in the show.

#37 8 years ago

This is my game, posted separately for sale on PinSide quite a few months ago. Original buyer flaked. For the record, there is no wear near the word Mole on the playfield, it's just an odd glare in the photo.

This game is still available, PM with any interest.

#38 8 years ago

Callouts, schmallouts. Anything's better than "Shoot the Pyramid!" I hear that in my dreams...

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Anything's better than "Shoot the Pyramid!"

How aboot "Shoot the Basket!?"

#40 8 years ago

All the 24's in the market here on pinside are listed for $4000-4500.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

All the 24's in the market here on pinside are listed for $4000-4500.

So equivalent to POTC or a player's condition LOTR? That can't be right ...

#42 8 years ago

I decided to pass on the game. But EagleTG is a great guy to deal with, very friendly and fair.

#43 8 years ago

I think Steve feels the same way, Stern seems to have really had a way of killing his enthusiasm with wishy-washy licenses while they were struggling for a while. Steve Ritchie needs something he's into...I don't see him getting as excited working on No Fear as on Star Trek: TNG (where he went to LA to argue over how the license ought to be represented with producers). Can't see him getting as into Rollergames or 24 the TV show licenses as he would for hard rock electric guitar AC/DC or something he writes his own music for.

Everything at Stern in 2008 must have been doom and gloom and Bill of Materials.

The license needs flow. Spiderman is web slinging flow. Star Trek is warp speed flow. AC/DC is hard rock flow. 24 is nothing but commercial breaks with an audible timer on black background and subtle cell phone product placement.

#44 8 years ago

I am really enjoying my 24. It is in my top 5 right now and I like the wide open playfield with fantastic ramp shots and objectives. The layout and flow is awesome! The sniper hurry up is cool and I also like the machine gun sounds on the pop bumpers. The pop bumpers are in a good area on the playfield and do not take up much ball time. Even if your not a fan of the show, it is a great title and very under-rated. It is another Steve Ritchie masterpiece imo.

Video on Master Agent:

#45 8 years ago

I recently traded to get a 24. Fun game. My wife and I are big fans of the show, so I'm sure that helps. The Safe House and Sniper shots are tight and challenging. The flow is good and the sniper targets in the middle of the playfield add another element of challenge during game play. I only have 3 pins right now, and 24 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

#46 8 years ago

I got to play one at the Replay Museum in Tarpon Springs not long ago. I was rather impressed with it for the few games I played on it. I'm not sure how it would work out in a home environment (staying power), but it seemed promising. I'm also familiar with the show (first 5 seasons), so I was able to visualize the call outs and such.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

I recently traded to get a 24. Fun game. My wife and I are big fans of the show, so I'm sure that helps. The Safe House and Sniper shots are tight and challenging. The flow is good and the sniper targets in the middle of the playfield add another element of challenge during game play. I only have 3 pins right now, and 24 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

And it's spoken for when it does.

I thought might want to see this Mike. And yes the glass was on. Lol

20150722_221120.jpg20150722_221120.jpg

#48 8 years ago

My latest addition. I'm diggin it. Can't stop playin it.

#49 8 years ago

I love the game. But with the wear. I'd offer $2000 with room towards the middle.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anniston, AL
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/24-pinball-worth-money and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.