You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What to spend $212,000 on?”

• All the top 20 pinside games and a Big Hurt for old time's sake 111 votes
    22%
  • A holiday home in Cambodia 42 votes
    8%
  • Save it. You may need a new liver someday and those don't come cheap 183 votes
    37%
  • Move to New York and buy a Hellcat 54 votes
    11%
  • Donate it all to charity 36 votes
    7%
  • Take all the pinsiders you know to a bar and say "drinks are on me!" 74 votes
    15%

(500 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_forum_4264418_1206391 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240114_073938_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240113_081226_Chrome (resized).jpg
ff6c4cee61f94f9081ccc1782f6a533c (resized).jpg
IMG_0578 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 9.34.55 PM (resized).png
o (1) (resized).jpg
o (resized).jpg
o (2) (resized).jpg
Rubios is legit good for fast food Mexican. But now this isn't funny.  (resized).png
o (3) (resized).jpg
o (resized).jpg
o (5) (resized).jpg
Quetzacoatls-Choice (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
421D1078-60EB-44B3-8A30-2CD7CDFA3422 (resized).jpeg

There are 436 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
#201 6 years ago

Best avocados in town.

avo (resized).jpgavo (resized).jpg

#202 6 years ago

I'm gen-x, we got the short end of the stick with no pensions for our generation and beyond. 401k plans weren't designed to facilitate retirement originally, rather as a supplement with tax deferred earnings that would benefit executives. Now that 401k is the primary retirement option companies have traded funding pensions at say 20k-100k per year for someone until death for contributing peanuts into someone's retirement 401k, say 5-10k per year while they work for you. You can see why companies would want that! So if you are a baby boomer be thankful you have your cozy pension and a 401k.

What gets me pissed is the gov caps individual contributions into your 401k at $18.5k yearly but combined with your company the maximum is $53,000! So the issue here is companies are not picking up enough of the retirement load. The market for company contributions is generally weak across the board. That being said I make a great wage as most of us who buy pinballs do lol. So why does this have to be a combined contribution to 53k? Why can't it just be the limit and let me throw all my money into it until I hit the limit. Sure I can contribute to post tax IRA's or a roth which is awesome if you file combined under 170k otherwise you don't qualify. So many stupid government rules.

#203 6 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

So many stupid government rules.

Here's a good one.

I can still contribute to an IRA. And at my income, if I put in $2000, I get a $1000 retirement savers credit which pretty much covers any federal tax I might owe. And I do. Work it any way you can is my motto.

#204 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That will work too!

Boom!

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Best avocados in town.

See, I have some brown tips on my leaves too...doesn't seem to be hurting your production, though.

#206 6 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

See, I have some brown tips on my leaves too...doesn't seem to be hurting your production, though.

Leaves fall off every year. A couple summers ago that long hot streak of over 100 degrees took it's toll on all of them. I had to cut off all the burnt branches and they are just now recovering.

#207 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Leaves fall off every year. A couple summers ago that long hot streak of over 100 degrees took it's toll on all of them. I had to cut off all the burnt branches and they are just now recovering.

This is why I love Pinside. I get retirement planning, gardening advice, all of my health questions answered...

#208 6 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

This is why I love Pinside. I get retirement planning, gardening advice, all of my health questions answered...

Water thoroughly once a week in the summer and occasionally during dry spells in the winter.

At the end of summer add fertilizer, compost and gypsum and by right now they should be flowering heavily and the bees should be swarming.

Earlier flowering if it is a Mexicola, and later if it is a Reed Variety. I have six different varieties including those two, a Fuerte, Hass, Pinkerton, and Bacon.

#209 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

At the end of summer add fertilizer, compost and gypsum and by right now they should be flowering heavily and the bees should be swarming.
Earlier flowering if it is a Mexicola, and later if it is a Reed Variety. I have six different varieties including those two, and a Fuerte, Hass, Pinkerton, and Bacon.

You Cali guys and your reefer

#210 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Or one Break Shot. You still got that thing?

Yes. Third one that has been here. First one I owned. Game has always done great here.

LTG : )

#211 6 years ago

This thread is still trending? Fml.

#212 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes. Third one that has been here. First one I owned. Game has always done great here.
LTG : )

I keep thinking I might get another one and it does fall within my revised budget. The other one left during the purge of two years ago.

Built solid as a rock, and it is the poor man's BBB.

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Water thoroughly once a week in the summer and occasionally during dry spells in the winter.
Earlier flowering if it is a Mexicola, and later if it is a Reed Variety. I have six different varieties including those two, a Fuerte, Hass, Pinkerton, and Bacon.

My two trees are both Haas. I'll get crackin' on this plan.

Quoted from TheLaw:

You Cali guys and your reefer

Yeah, AA is a filthy with marijuana prudes.

Quoted from Pinballology:

We've covered a wide range of adult topics here. My bad.

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

My two trees are both Haas. I'll get crackin' on this plan.

Try to keep the leaves that fall around the trees as they make a great natural mulch.

There is no bad avocado and hass is the most popular variety now because of it's thick skin, long shelf life and good crops. The original hass tree passed away a few years back and was located in La Habra, not far from where I'm at now. Pinkerton is similar but larger and more pear shaped with a smaller seed.

Fuerte are the more common older trees in the area as those were what was planted here long before the hass even existed. It has thin skin and are usually pretty large fruit and IMO are the best tasting and are generally moister than the thick skinned varieties. Bacon is almost identical and I can't tell the difference.

Reed is a large grapefruit size and shaped avocado with thick skin and excellent flavor, and are the last ones to fall off the tree late into summer

Mexicola is a real gem because it's fruit ripens much earlier than the other varieties, around October, and turns purple when it does. They are thin skinned and not very big with a large seed, but the flavor of the meat rivals any of them.

mexicola (resized).jpgmexicola (resized).jpg

#215 6 years ago

So reality is this is my retirement plan.

Sell 212,000 organically grown avocados at a buck apiece at a stand in front of my house and live like a king!

Avacado-Stand (resized).jpgAvacado-Stand (resized).jpg

#216 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sell 212,000 organically grown avocados at a buck apiece at a stand in front of my house and live like a king!

There's always money in the avocado stand ...

banana stand (resized).pngbanana stand (resized).png

#217 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

At $1 each, you'd be throwing money away.

#218 6 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

At $1 each, you'd be throwing money away.

Yeah well, I have to compete with the foreigners down the street that would like to undercut me.

29835408_ec96c0c4a9_z (resized).jpg29835408_ec96c0c4a9_z (resized).jpg

#219 6 years ago

Route some pins at that Avocado stand and you have a f ing home run!

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Route some pins at that Avocado stand and you have a f ing home run!

Like this one?

image-1 (resized).jpgimage-1 (resized).jpg

#221 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballology:

Know what's not trending?
The song CC Rider.
Track sucked balls when Jimmy Witherspoon wrote it, it was the most disparagingly atrocious song Elvis ever wheezed his way through and the other 10 covers of it are only minimally enjoyed by the deaf.
Almost forgot....welcome to Pinside dickhead!

#222 6 years ago

Hell yeah. That and a couple of ice chests full of beer ($2 special).

Get a grill and hit the chicken and beef fajitas with fresh avocado slices! Are you kidding me.

Mix in some Nimblenut chili and life is great

#223 6 years ago

And fix your own damn litehouse!

#225 6 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

You could buy a nice refrigerator.

Have you priced nice refrigerators?

#226 6 years ago

Well damn. I sent a pm 4 minutes after that $1000 C37 posted here last night. He said I was 2nd, and I believe him. But I bet some rat bastard offered him $1500 and snaked me outta my $1200 offer. Oh well. Now I can get that Breakshot I gotta have.

#227 6 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I'm gen-x, we got the short end of the stick with no pensions for our generation and beyond.

Rock on!

#228 6 years ago

my wife would love your avo farm.
she eats an avocado for breakfast everyday.
dang those things are expensive.
Best buy is Trader Joes bag of 6 minis for $2.99

#229 6 years ago

It's why I don't need no stinkin' flu shot!

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's why I don't need no stinkin' flu shot!

Integrate a clinic into that avocado stand and watch the money roll in.

#231 6 years ago

If I can sell enough avocados I will definitely be looking to upgrade the stand. It doesn't take much money to have big plans.

MDJ_BAR-400x250 (resized).jpgMDJ_BAR-400x250 (resized).jpg

#232 6 years ago
#233 6 years ago

HEY YOU GUYS ARE HAVIN TOO MUCH FUN
--Third link to refrigerator thread

#234 6 years ago

Of course we have a refrigerator thread, why wouldn't we?

#235 6 years ago

One of the first words I learned was "fridder-frater".

#236 6 years ago

WOLF Y (resized).jpgWOLF Y (resized).jpg

#237 6 years ago

Assuming you already have retirement money all setup, and this is truly expendable money, then you got to go with what brings the biggest smile on your face. I would certainly recommend a few machines, since you are here, and obviously pinball brings a smile to you. But I would also recommend taking some of the money and having a great time with your friends and family (not necessarily at the same time), and create some truly great memories to carry with you over the next decade. Those will mean something to you when you cannot focus on the pinball machine anymore

#238 6 years ago
Quoted from Experiment626:

Assuming you already have retirement money all setup

You might say I've got all my ducks in a row.

circuit-city-stores-inc-virginia-1996-pre-bankruptcy-27 (resized).jpgcircuit-city-stores-inc-virginia-1996-pre-bankruptcy-27 (resized).jpg

blockbuster-inc-26 (resized).jpgblockbuster-inc-26 (resized).jpg

#239 6 years ago

Can somebody that still has the ability please link this game to this thread? Thank you.

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/jackpot

#240 6 years ago

This seems like the best use of these funds. I mean, how many times have you asked yourself, "if I only had a racing pigeon right now."

A pedigreed Belgian racing pigeon sold for $200,000

Most expensive racing pigeon ever sold

A Chinese buyer snapped up a pedigreed Belgian racing pigeon named Blue Prince at an auction in January 2011.

http://www.businessinsider.com/thelife50#a-pedigreed-belgian-racing-pigeon-sold-for-200000-2

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Of course I do have to eat.
Let's see what's on sale this week.
Mmmmm, New York steak and corn!

My go-to store when staying in La-La land...

#242 6 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Have you priced nice refrigerators?

Especially the noisy nice ones....

#243 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Know what's not trending?
The song CC Rider.
Track sucked balls when Jimmy Witherspoon wrote it, it was the most disparagingly atrocious song Elvis ever wheezed his way through and the other 10 covers of it are only minimally enjoyed by the deaf.
Almost forgot....welcome to Pinside dickhead!

Trivia: when I was in high school, Mitch Ryder lived in a very modest home on Smart Street in Southwest Detroit, about half a mile from my home.

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Trivia: when I was in high school, Mitch Ryder lived in a very modest home on Smart Street in Southwest Detroit, about half a mile from my home.

Would you believe shortly after high school Billy Barty opened up a roller skating rink just a few blocks from my house?

tv-actors (resized).jpgtv-actors (resized).jpg

#245 6 years ago

O din, I too are in your same boat with actually more resources. I have the 4 pins I really like and have decided to not buy or sell any more. There are a lot of other things in life to own/experience than just pinball. Enjoy your independence.

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from PapaJohn:

O din, I too are in your same boat with actually more resources.

With a chain of pizza places like that, I'd imagine you are set for life.

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah well, I have to compete with the foreigners down the street that would like to undercut me.

Same price as my route pins, which begs the question is a game of pinball equal to an avocado

#248 6 years ago

well there are still like 6 blockbusters and Circuit City is coming back(as an online thing)

So yeah your set o-din

#249 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

With what we pay at the Von's down the street from us, I might have to hit up that stand.

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And fix your own damn litehouse!

I looked that abbreviation up too. L-O-frickin'-L!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
There are 436 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/212000-to-spend-what-to-buy/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.