You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What to spend $212,000 on?”

• All the top 20 pinside games and a Big Hurt for old time's sake 111 votes
    22%
  • A holiday home in Cambodia 42 votes
    8%
  • Save it. You may need a new liver someday and those don't come cheap 183 votes
    37%
  • Move to New York and buy a Hellcat 54 votes
    11%
  • Donate it all to charity 36 votes
    7%
  • Take all the pinsiders you know to a bar and say "drinks are on me!" 75 votes
    15%

(501 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_forum_4264418_1206391 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240114_073938_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240113_081226_Chrome (resized).jpg
ff6c4cee61f94f9081ccc1782f6a533c (resized).jpg
IMG_0578 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 9.34.55 PM (resized).png
o (1) (resized).jpg
o (resized).jpg
o (2) (resized).jpg
Rubios is legit good for fast food Mexican. But now this isn't funny.  (resized).png
o (3) (resized).jpg
o (resized).jpg
o (5) (resized).jpg
Quetzacoatls-Choice (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
421D1078-60EB-44B3-8A30-2CD7CDFA3422 (resized).jpeg
There are 436 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
#151 6 years ago

Am I the only one who thinks the $212,000 isn't enough to really do some fun stuff with over the next 20-30 years? Need another "0".

Gotta say though, I've not laughed this much reading a thread in a long time. Love it!

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

To avoid higher taxes, I don't think you want to withdraw all the money from the IRA in the same year.

Maybe it's a ROTH

#153 6 years ago

212k wouldnt go very far here. Heck you cant even buy a house here for that now!

#154 6 years ago

I have the same question! ... but for $312.75.

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Say your house is paid off and likewise your truck and child support. And the kid is well on her way to making her own fortune. Social security and your part time job are covering all your bills with some leftover.
That IRA account you have been so diligently socking money away in can soon be raided with no penalty. What to buy with the money?

I would pay to watch this until the money ran out. I'd die broke but happy...

Midgets (resized).JPGMidgets (resized).JPG

#156 6 years ago

I voted liver since stock piling parts just like in pinball makes the most sense.

#157 6 years ago

Invest in AR-15s and ammo along with ready to eat meals then when the shit goes down you will be the richest man in town.

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Invest in AR-15s and ammo along with ready to eat meals then when the shit goes down you will be the richest man in town.

What if the "shit" never goes down?

#159 6 years ago

put it into crypto and get some sick gains!

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Hell yea brother that's what I am talking about.

Quoted from Astropin:

Yo got a stockpile of ammo bought when the price of ammo is going up not a bad position to be in.

#161 6 years ago

Hookers and blow and maybe new grills

grillz (resized).jpggrillz (resized).jpg

#162 6 years ago

I got it! Cryogenic feeeze your body when you die in the desert of Arizona. $200,000 gets you in the club. Pinball in 100 years, wgo doesn't want to see that, or longer?

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation/company-will-freeze-your-dead-body-200-000-n562551

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I got it! Cryogenic feeeze your body when you die in the desert of Arizona. $200,000 gets you in the club. Pinball in 100 years, wgo doesn't want to see that, or longer?
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation/company-will-freeze-your-dead-body-200-000-n562551

Or just freeze the head, should be cheaper ...

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Or just freeze the head, should be cheaper ...

Sure...I mean if they can repair your crappy old body they can certainly clone you a new one. Or maybe you can pick an entirely new one from the current catalog?

#165 6 years ago

$212K won't buy you much - you should save a little more and buy some better games.

#166 6 years ago

You could prepay for a 3 year stay in a nursing home with meds

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

You could prepay for a 3 year stay in a nursing home with meds

He'll be bringing his own meds.

#168 6 years ago

On a serious note: if you've got any debt, pay that shit down. Your best return is _not_ paying interest (especially credit card interest).

After that, throw a decent party for your next round-number birthday, and Liver Fund the rest.

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

When you die your kids are annoyed when they get to sorting our your estate.

#170 6 years ago

"There is one way to take the prop tax with me depending on which county, but you can't beat the easy life here 15 minutes from Disneyland."

My wife would be seriously jealous, Disneyland is truly her favorite place on earth. In fact she is headed to So Cal Sat to visit her daughter, son in law, and grandson --- and to use her season pass to Disney.

#171 6 years ago

Porsche 911 Turbo

#172 6 years ago

$212,000 won't last very long in retirement, need like 3 million to retire comfortably

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

$212,000 won't last very long in retirement, need like 3 million to retire comfortably

3,000,000?

That will net you well over 100 grand a year without ever touching the principle.
And that does not include SS income or a pension.

I think a lot of people can get by on a million plus SS. Or even less if a pension is included.

Or if you're o-din...far less.

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

3,000,000?
That will net you well over 100 grand a year without ever touching the principle.
And that does not include SS income or a pension.
I think a lot of people can get by on a million plus SS. Or even less if a pension is included.
Or if you're o-din...far less.

Correct, $3M is the goal. $5M would be better. Don't forget you need to be able to ride out a bad year too.......Some years you will net nothing and see your balance drop.

#175 6 years ago

Buy a nice property in Eastern Europe. Maybe Prague. You could hang out here..... http://www.joystickbar.cz/

#176 6 years ago

I am truly disappointed that "Invest in the "Gameseum" that is sure to be opening soon in PA, was not an option.

Sorry had to go there!

#177 6 years ago

Set up an annual donation to Make-A-Wish or Give Kids the World, spread the comfort with kids who won't get the chance to be at your stage in life.

#178 6 years ago

After looking at my latest statement and talking to my investment adviser, it seems I should have taken his advice and sold off all that Blockbuster and Pocket Fisherman stock a long time ago.

So now the only question seems to be what to do with the remaining $2,120?

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This thread may suddenly be relevant (if you're willing to accept DMDs into your home, of course):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-best-dmd-era-game-under-2000

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

if you're willing to accept DMDs into your home, of course

That's part of the reason I have very little of an IRA left.

I'll somehow get by though. I always have.

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Correct, $3M is the goal. $5M would be better.

Well of course more is better. Just commenting that most people (even "most pinsiders") aren't going to have 3+ million in retirement (although I'm sure some will). And Pinsiders are not the average population income wise.

At the level your planning on you can live a pretty nice retirement involving no work and still have 3-5 million to pass down when you're gone.

My kids can make their own retirement nest, so I'm not too concerned with eventually chewing into the principle. If things get really bad I'll go drive a boat at Disney

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

After looking at my latest statement and talking to my investment adviser, it seems I should have taken his advice and sold off all that Blockbuster and Pocket Fisherman stock a long time ago.

You could buy a nice refrigerator.

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

If things get really bad I'll go drive a boat at Disney

My plan is to drive that train.

My old man always told me I should become an engineer, and if I become cash strapped in retirement that may just happen.

I'm not worried about it though. If I can live comfortably on the $400 a week I earn now, social security will actually boost my standard of living.

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I can live comfortably on the $400 a week I earn now

That is (honestly) impressive. $400 a week wouldn't cover my credit card bill (yes, paid off monthly...I never pay interest if I can help it).

#186 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well, the house was paid off 15 years ago, and my daughter is getting straight 'A's in college and already has a decent paying job. My part time job already covers all my bills with money left over.
I just turned 56 so I am 6 years away from being able to collect social security and three years away from IRA withdrawals with no penalty. Now if I hadn't already raided the IRA account some when I got into this hobby, I'd really be farting thru velvet soon.

So, not hypothetical. Congrats, man!

Quoted from o-din:

Nah. Those high taxes are only for the immigrants and other new arrivals around here. My property tax is $1k a year.

You're welcome.

#187 6 years ago

Do the math.

$1000 year for property tax.
$2500 year aprox for utilities and directv.
$1500 year for auto and homeowners insurance.
----------------------------------------------------
$5000 out of $22,000 and the rest for me! You don't pay much income tax if you don't make much money.

#188 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I’ll have to revise my calculations.

54 bottles of Jack!

rd

#189 6 years ago

Of course I do have to eat.

Let's see what's on sale this week.

Mmmmm, New York steak and corn!

611479-900-100000 (resized).jpg611479-900-100000 (resized).jpg

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sheeeet homie no wonder you'd never move!

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Sheeeet homie no wonder you'd never move!

If it wasn't for Prop 13 I'd probably be back living at the beach working as hard as I used to. The neighbors in the same house pay probably 8 grand a year. It makes it so you want to stay put.

So you make the best of it and plant avocado trees everywhere and fill your house and garage with pinball machines and find the easiest, closest to home job you can. Not the most conventional way of thinking but it works for me.

blog_howard_jarvis (resized).jpgblog_howard_jarvis (resized).jpg

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Do the math.
$2000 year aprox for utilities and directv.
$1500 year for auto and homeowners insurance.
----------------------------------------------------
$4500 out of $22,000 and the rest for me! You don't pay much income tax if you don't make much money.

What about Pinside donations?

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If it wasn't for Prop 13 I'd probably be back living at the beach working as hard as I used to. The neighbors in the same house pay probably 8 grand a year. It makes it so you want to stay put.

We're on the other end of this. Neighbors who bought in the 70's bought their houses for, essentially, what we pay over two years in property taxes.

There has been extensive research on both the positives and negatives of Prop 13, so I won't re-litigate the issue here. What I will say is that nobody forced me to live where I live (ha...mistakenly typed "love" here; this is accurate) and I bought knowing full-well what all the costs, benefits and downsides were.

I'm grateful that we have dynamic neighborhood comprised of families from various generations. Going forward, I do see the housing issue as being a major obstacle to equity, inclusion and economic growth for the region. This was a trending topic on Twitter yesterday:

http://www.businessinsider.com/san-francisco-bay-area-residents-moving-away-increase-u-haul-rental-prices-2018-3

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sd-how-much-cost-to-move-out-of-san-francisco-california-20180306-htmlstory.html

BUT for now, California is booming as evidenced by things like:

https://la.curbed.com/2017/7/13/15966156/los-angeles-crane-count-construction-development

and

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article161472333.html

Just so this isn't too deep/heavy,

Quoted from o-din:

So you make the best of it and plant avocado trees everywhere

I'm having issues with my two avocado trees. I can't seem to get the watering right. Sigh.

#194 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I can live comfortably on the $400 a week I earn now, social security will actually boost my standard of living.

I'd be happy to provide at least one meal a month for access to your games! And, not even crappy fast food.

#195 6 years ago

I think retirement planning is on a case by case basis. Everyone is a little different in what their lifestyle and expenses are and what they think they need/want in retirement.

I think the best thing about having money is not worrying about money. If frees your energy and time a bit. I try to be intentional about cultivating passive sources of income through business investments, the stock market, real estate, etc... Neither my wife or I came from money, and have always lived below our means.

My goal is to be able to retire and not have to think about money...within reason.

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

What about Pinside donations?

Like I said, I do still have a job that supports me comfortably and enough pride where I don't ask for handouts. I have never started a go fund me either.

However, if you insist, PM me and I will give you my paypal address.

Quoted from zh2oson:

I'd be happy to provide at least one meal a month for access to your games! And, not even crappy fast food.

That will work too!

#197 6 years ago

You could buy 3,533 of those Banger Jay dolls.

LTG : )

#198 6 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

I'm having issues with my two avocado trees. I can't seem to get the watering right. Sigh

ODIN has no problem with his .. he pisses on them every night!

No bull!

rd

#199 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You could buy 3,533 of those Banger Jay dolls.
LTG : )

Or one Break Shot. You still got that thing?

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Like I said, I do still have a job that supports me comfortably and enough pride where I don't ask for handouts. I have never started a go fund me either.
However, if you insist, PM me and I will give you my paypal address.

haha, nice. I was referring to donating to Pinside, the website, you know...turning that grey heart red.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 436 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/212000-to-spend-what-to-buy/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.