Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 548 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gunpin (resized).jpeg
    image7 (1) (resized).jpeg
    image6 (1) (resized).jpeg
    image5 (1) (resized).jpeg
    image4 (1) (resized).jpeg
    image3 (resized).jpeg
    image1 (2) (resized).jpeg
    image0 (1) (resized).jpeg
    image0 (2) (resized).jpeg
    image5 (3) (resized).jpeg
    image6 (3) (resized).jpeg
    image7 (3) (resized).jpeg
    backglass2 (resized).jpeg
    backglass1 (resized).jpeg
    image0 (4) (resized).jpeg
    image0 (3) (resized).jpeg
    There are 548 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.
    #351 11 months ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

Thanks to everyone that came out for the tournament. We ended up with 70 players. Congratulations to the top 4
    Nick C.
    Mike W.
    Trent A.
    Chris G.
    [quoted image]

Well done playas!!

#352 11 months ago

All by myself outside but THE PARTY MUST GO ON

#353 11 months ago

Who wants a vodka on ice?

#354 11 months ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Who wants a vodka on ice?

I’ll drink

#355 11 months ago

Let’s gooooo!!!!

IMG_9171 (resized).jpegIMG_9171 (resized).jpeg
    #356 11 months ago

Let’s goooo!

#357 11 months ago

Get up here. Gates not open but tailgating has commenced

#358 11 months ago

Thanks again for the tournament yesterday. I had a blast and actually made the playoffs. The QR scanners on all the games to report issues was brilliant. I do have to say I'm jealous of those trophies.

#359 11 months ago

The tourney was great yesterday. Of the 16 games I played, 12 we ones I'd never played before. Some of these were games by Zacharia, Gameplan, Bell Games, and Mr. Game - games you just don't see anywhere else. And all in perfect condition. It's a competitive opportunity that is one of a kind.

#360 11 months ago

Let’s get ready to ruuuummmmble

#361 11 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Are you ready to ruuuummmmble

Coffee'ing up at the hotel and heading that way. Gotta pick up a styrofoam cooler for the beer I guess. Woot.

#362 11 months ago

Fuckin a...let me get out of bed and do my hair...

#363 11 months ago

The tournament was great, lots of players that are only in town for the show that we've never met before, I helped run the tournament instead of playing in it. Also found a snake inside!

PXL_20230505_132603642 (resized).jpgPXL_20230505_132603642 (resized).jpgPXL_20230505_194234890 (resized).jpgPXL_20230505_194234890 (resized).jpg
    #364 11 months ago

the tournament was great! such a great time and all the games played amazing. the variety of games here is literally unmatched. highly recommend anyone who hasn't played here yet to check it out for themselves

#365 11 months ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

The latest game count is now 508.
    Trent A. is reported to be bringing a James Bond 007 which should be set up in the *Breezeway* to make it 509. Foo Fighters arrived a few weeks ago and is located in the south west corner of *The Main*
    The complete game list can be found here:
    https://vfwpinball.com/games.php . There are two lists, Alphabetic by Game Name and Chronological by Name.
    After each game is it location within the VFW compound.
    In past years we’ve had comments like *gee we didn’t know there was another building*.
    Well there are actually 4 buildings at the VFW, *The Main*, *The Herm*, *The Marv* and *The Rat Hole* and two sub-rooms, *The VIP* and the *Breezeway*
    Enjoy![quoted image]

Hey Doug - excellent use of your CAD skills!! See you on Sunday!

Kelsey

#366 11 months ago

Hi Clay!!!!

IMG_9181 (resized).jpegIMG_9181 (resized).jpeg
    #367 11 months ago

Wife says it's too early for beer. Disagree. Line at 9ish was exactly one beer long.

#368 11 months ago
    Quoted from tomservo:

Hey Doug - excellent use of your CAD skills!! See you on Sunday!
    Kelsey

… or whats left of them…retirement tends to dull certain useful skills! Looking forward to catching up with you.

#369 11 months ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Stop by the black Subaru. I’ll introduce you to No rules. Michigans best Vietnamese porter!

Amazing stuff! Vdojaq poured a few of us a sampler, and it was very, very tasty! Even my wife (whom does not like beer) found it palatable...

Later,
    EV

#370 11 months ago

Had a blast again this year.
    Well Worth the 3+ hour drive each way.
    The construction was a bit daunting.
    It was easier coming from Windsor/Detroit crossing than Port Hron/Sarnia
    Hint for tomorrow Meegis

#371 11 months ago

Fantastic collection. My wishlist just blew up exponentially. Plus I found the attraction in some games I'd written off because I'd never seen them play well. Seriously, fantastic to all involved

PXL_20230506_151847473 (resized).jpgPXL_20230506_151847473 (resized).jpg
    #372 11 months ago
    Quoted from Ollulanus:

Fantastic collection. My wishlist just blew up exponentially. Plus I found the attraction in some games I'd written off because I'd never seen them play well. Seriously, fantastic to all involved[quoted image]

Photo Interpretation:

The VFW repair shop in action... It looks like Centaur smoked a board. Game problems are tracked with a QR tag/code system and reported to the shop. Clay (the guy walking) sends out a qualified Tech to triage the game. Simple fixes are taken care of in place. For more complex surgery, the tech has the game pulled and rolled into the shop. *Mr. Bally* (the middle guy just above the band saw) looks to be deep into the board repair with able-bodied techs supervising. My guess is that Centaur was back in action within the hour.

#373 11 months ago

More on the VFW QR Game Problem Reporting System.

Every game has a unique blue QR code sticker on the apron.

*Anyone* can report a game problem by:

1. Using your phone in camera mode, focus on the QR code box.
    2. The VFW QR system is automatically recognized.
    3. Snap the photo / scan and you enter the system.
    4. The system recognizes the game and gives you several problem choices to click on.
    5. You can also enter in some text if you desire.
    6. Hit send/enter

Easy-peasy

The problem shows up in the Shop monitor within 60 seconds and a Tech is on the way.

If you don’t have a phone handy the old fashion way of waving down an *orange shirt* VFW staff member works too.

#374 11 months ago

First time at VFW and it was incredible! An unparalleled collection of games and great people! The food was excellent as well! Hard to believe this was less than 5 miles from my house and I had never heard of it.

#376 11 months ago

The QR code repair system worked great! thank you to all that used it to report game issues. We had almost 250 game issue reports, and we fixed them ALL BUT 3 (which will be dealt with tonight/tomorrow morning.) We are very proud of this system, and keeping 500+ games up and running for the entire show!

#377 11 months ago

Well done to all!! Looking forward to more play tomorrow. I love a show where all I have to do is play.

#378 11 months ago

Terrific time again Clay and team. Loved the new repair process. Reported one issue and got it resolved immediately. Great use of technology. As always the collection and condition were beyond compare. Thank you from the Ohio pinhead. Much appreciated every year. Keep it coming!!

#379 11 months ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

More on the VFW QR Game Problem Reporting System.
    Every game has a unique blue QR code sticker on the apron.
    *Anyone* can report a game problem by:
    1. Using your phone in camera mode, focus on the QR code box.
    2. The VFW QR system is automatically recognized.
    3. Snap the photo / scan and you enter the system.
    4. The system recognizes the game and gives you several problem choices to click on.
    5. You can also enter in some text if you desire.
    6. Hit send/enter
    Easy-peasy
    The problem shows up in the Shop monitor within 60 seconds and a Tech is on the way.
    If you don’t have a phone handy the old fashion way of waving down an *orange shirt* VFW staff works too.

Quoted from cfh:

The QR code repair system worked great! thank you to all that used it to report game issues. We had almost 250 game issue reports, and we fixed them ALL BUT 3 (which will be dealt with tonight/tomorrow morning.) We are very proud of this system, and keeping 500+ games up and running for the entire show!

What about kick off? No response on that qr report

#380 11 months ago
    Quoted from Hogey:

Terrific time again Clay and team. Loved the new repair process. Reported one issue and got it resolved immediately. Great use of technology. As always the collection and condition were beyond compare. Thank you from the Ohio pinhead. Much appreciated every year. Keep it coming!!

Where were you john?

#381 11 months ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

What about kick off? No response on that qr report

Seriously? We fixed over 200 games today and you're calling it a failure because one particular game, that doesn't appear on the current report, didn't get fixed to your satisfaction? OK.

#382 11 months ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

Seriously? We fixed over 200 games today and you're calling it a failure because one particular game, that doesn't appear on the current report, didn't get fixed to your satisfaction? OK.

Don’t sweat the peanut gallery bullshit!
    It was a stellar event!

#383 11 months ago

I was just up that way, couldn't stay for this. Anyone have anymore pics to share?

#384 11 months ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

Sorry, that was a joke. My friend bought a kick off that had the qr code on it, so a report may have been sent. Stellar performance on all game issues at the show.no game i wamted to play was down for more than a few minites

#385 11 months ago

Thanks to all involved who put in the time and effort to make this event run so smooth
    Never seen so many machines and so many smiles in one place. My GF and i were in awe. Shout out to the Stoner Doom/metal
    fans on the grill. I was wearing a Weedeater
    tee shirt and they knew it was a band not lawn equipment.

#386 11 months ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Sorry, that was a joke.

OK, no harm no foul. Just a bit tired. Sorry to get so frosty.

#387 11 months ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

OK, no harm no foul. Just a bit tired. Sorry to get so frosty.

No worries. It was a fun dig at clay. The staff did an amazing job, well worth the money, and as always an amazing place

#388 11 months ago

I really don't think there could possibly be a better pinball show, if what you want to do is play pinball. SO many games, arranged in logical groups, representing every possible era, all starting the day in perfectly playable shape, and mostly kept that way during the day by a dedicated squad of repair techs. Clay's QRCode system was brilliant!

Seriously, if there's a pin you've ever heard of and want to play, odds are it's there... and of course all those ones you've never heard of and didn't know you wanted to play until you did.

Other shows have seminars, or manufacturer booths, or whatever, but if it's playing pins (and related arcade games) you're after, I just can't imagine anyone will ever top the VFW. It's not to be missed.

#389 11 months ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

No worries. It was a fun dig at clay. The staff did an amazing job, well worth the money, and as always an amazing place

Kick-off was sold not long ago as it does not get much play at the VFW.

#390 11 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Kick-off was sold not long ago as it does not get much play at the VFW.

I bought it. Hence the joke. Qr code was still on it. I bought it thinking id play it awhile and sell it, but man is it a frustratingly fun game. I think its actually a keeper for me

#391 11 months ago

Just made the 5-1/2 hr drive home from the show today! It was my first and hopefully not the last. I knew it would be awesome and it did not disappoint. Got to see a lot of games I've only heard about or seen online but never in person, and everything worked! The staff was AWESOME. Very helpful, super friendly and ON IT when issues popped up. Very impressed. Met some very cool folks there today too. Bax1 thanks for the "hershey's syrup" brew and great conversation with you and the others tailgating before they opened. Great bunch of folks!
    -Lee
    aka Leebo's Pinball dude

#392 11 months ago
    Quoted from frobozz:

I really don't think there could possibly be a better pinball show, if what you want to do is play pinball. SO many games, arranged in logical groups, representing every possible era, all starting the day in perfectly playable shape, and mostly kept that way during the day by a dedicated squad of repair techs. Clay's QRCode system was brilliant!

Seriously, if there's a pin you've ever heard of and want to play, odds are it's there... and of course all those ones you've never heard of and didn't know you wanted to play until you did.

Other shows have seminars, or manufacturer booths, or whatever, but if it's playing pins (and related arcade games) you're after, I just can't imagine anyone will ever top the VFW. It's not to be missed.

Any chance, Duncan, that you can find time in your busy life to assemble another "lost" Harry Williams design into a working prototype playable pin?

To go along side, Typhoon and the now missing Firefly?

#393 11 months ago

Amazing show! Saturday was so much fun. Thank you to everyone involved.

#394 11 months ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Any chance, Duncan, that you can find time in your busy life to assemble another "lost" Harry Williams design into a working prototype playable pin?
    To go along side, Typhoon and the now missing Firefly?

I have the next three playfields cut. I have a small pile of donor games. I have lots of space in my new-to-me house. What I don't have at the moment is TIME, because that house was very old and tired - wood paneling on every square inch of wall (and some ceilings!) and carpet on every square inch of floor (including bathrooms and kitchen!) I filled the largest construction dumpster they had with all that stinky stuff and am slowly marching through the place making it habitable again (while inhabiting it.)

I also need to finish Firefly - I never got the on-playfield bonus feature working before rushing it to Clay's place for the show that year.

#395 11 months ago

Actually on that Kickoff i DID get the QR code repair request that was submitted... even though the game is located in Toledo! "Colin/Chickenhead needs Hugs", isn't really a good repair request... I immediately emailed Puff Daddy and told him to please remove the QR sticker from that game (which we sold him 2 weeks ago, and I mistakenly left the QR code sticker on the game!)

#396 11 months ago

Why can’t I just get a hug Clay? All I wanted a hug but he wouldn’t give it to me!

Very fun show as always. Was good to meet all of the out of state folks. Great times!!!

#397 11 months ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Super impressed by you guys. I got a ball stuck I couldn't shake loose, put in a ticket and pulled up to the game next to it. Someone had the glass off before I finished my first ball.

#398 11 months ago

100% vouch for this being probably the best show. i'm not a competitive guy so i'm pretty happy with there not being a tournament. the $100 is steep but definitely well worth it. in years past the only machines i ever had to wait on were Big Bang Bar, Banzai Run, and TOTAN. But to me I don't need to play those. I'm perfectly happy playing BMX or Hurdy Gurdy..... just walking around and taking pictures is worth $25 to me. i couldn't make it this year and i'd hate to see the collection broken up. The facility is amazing. Definitely on my plans for next year even if it's $150

*as a side not the steep price is actually beneficial in my opinion. it keeps amateurss and little kids away which means less chances of walking up to machine with four games abandoned on it. going up in price was the best thing clay has done for the show

#399 11 months ago

My wife liked the coleslaw!
    She is a very picky eater.

She even mentioned next time packing some snacks and bringing some chairs for next time.

That's crazy, I am a pretty anti social guy. But a few beers and maybe....

I am in no means complaining wear happens,
    I started coming in 2016, missed a few years with the border closed.
    I can really see how some of the titles are wearing. For a collector, this is good for me. I know what to expect.
    The Alien Poker played flawless for me, very nice playfield.

You should look into a ball sponsor
    You must be buying by weight.
    Ball sales could be a good side gig for the show.
    Everyone could be playing with your balls....

#400 11 months ago

My only issue with the qr system was lack of reliable cell signal indoors kept me from reporting.

Do you want minor issues reported too? Just for later follow up?

There are 548 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2023-vfw-ann-arbor-mi-pinball-show-largest-show-in-world/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.