Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 377 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 72 days ago by Dayhuff
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240423_132942 (resized).jpg
    20240423_135213 (resized).jpg
    20240423_132502 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230915_023618682 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230915_023623519 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230915_023629207 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230915_030447096 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230915_030439489 (resized).jpg
    Antique-Booth-Price-Tags-Antique-Circa-1900-Price-Tag-300x213 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240421_082024_Facebook (resized).jpg
    PART_1713701289583 (resized).jpeg
    PART_1713701315384 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20240420_145222059 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240420_145253492 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240419_013207492 (resized).jpg
    20240418_164751 (resized).jpg
    There are 377 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
    #351 88 days ago
    Quoted from harmon1728:

I hear you. Please be patient with me. It has been less than a week since the show ended. I am tired still and catching up with my day job. PATZ is not my full time job. I'm seeing everything and digesting it. Frankly, some of what has been said has hurt me. I'm processing it all and recharging at the moment. Again, please be patient.

There is no reason to be hurt. Yeah, some of it might be an ouch or that stings , but you are getting good honest feedback on how attendees see or feel about the show. You are also getting some great feedback on ideas too. Take it all in stride, this shit isn't easy.

#352 88 days ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

... this shit isn't easy.

Ain't that the truth. Pretty daunting.

#353 88 days ago

Is 2025 the 25th year? I have lost count myself...

#354 88 days ago

BTW, I have brought games in the past. One year two games another just one. One year my GTB Sinbad won *Best 70's game* (sponsored by Pinball Life, Thank you!, I still got the plaque on my wall). Both years I was there for all three days. Unfortunately, for the past few years my family schedule has prevented me from attending.

Anyway...the *bring a game and we'll keep it WORKING* can work (notice the change in verbiage) 1. Set up your game. 2. Get a hold of one of the *show techs* and show him your working game. 3. Show tech does a 15 second game check (yup it works) and accepts the keys from the owner. Simple repairs will be done for free.

The only thing missing is repair parts. At least the basic shit. Rubbers, fuses, posts, some coils...I doe-no...Clay could come up with a decent list.

I guess what I'm saying is that the repair offer need some guard rails and understood limitations.

#355 88 days ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

I guess what I'm saying is that the repair offer need some guard rails and understood limitations.

Every offer has an *

No one could guarantee that every game is fixable.

A non pinhead might feel that $100 in parts is too much money (I got to be honest, I got this game for free...)

Choggard might play dumb and bring a game that does not have a single board in it.

#356 88 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Every offer has an *
    No one could guarantee that every game is fixable.
    A non pinhead might feel that $100 in parts is too much money (I got to be honest, I got this game for free...)
    Choggard might play dumb and bring a game that does not have a single board in it.

ahaa ummm...did you read my post???

I did not use the word *guarantee*
    I changed *fixable* to *keep it working*
    I did write *simple repairs for free*
    I did not put a price tag on repairs ($100)
    I never met Choggard, but I do understand his reputation

#357 88 days ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

ahaa ummm...did you read my post???
    I did not use the word *guarantee*
    I changed *fixable* to *keep it working*
    I did write *simple repairs for free*
    I did not put a price tag on repairs ($100)
    I never met Choggard, but I do understand his reputation

Sounds like we are still in agreement

#358 88 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Another idea for next year would be a Garage Sale.
    I've got a crap ton of playfields, boards, backboxes, mechs and other junk. I sure don't want to sit at a table for 3 days to sell it.
    A "garage sale" would let everyone put their stuff in a roped off area, with just a single cashier to ring everybody up.
    Your phone number is on the label if there are any questions.
    PATZ can skim off their 15% of each sale.
    If you did not want to stay to the end, your unsold stuff could be tossed into a lot and sold at auction....

Hey, don’t cut in on our action!! though we don’t get paid.

That is essentially what we do.

If you have enough people doing it it’s worth while, just take turns watching the bonfire

#359 88 days ago

PATZ is the most relaxed show to attend, bring games, or vend at. This show was a bit sparse compared to others, but hopefully next year we can get more junk and projects in the door.

I like the idea of seminars and all that or like a casual coffee Q&A corner with Dayhuff, Kevin, Kruzman or Clay (dunk tank?) at different times, or just whenever (a specific time would counteract that laid back feeling)

The best part about the show is talking to everyone who stops by the booth, everyone has a story. Dave compared the show as sitting around a bonfire, and that’s a great analogy.

#360 88 days ago

The Clay dunk tank might be the best idea yet

#361 88 days ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

All proceeds go to the Ann Arbor VFW show, which as you know, is the largest show with the most playable games in the world.

And if there are tickets for anything they should be to the pinball life 10 minutes of insanity wood chipper of pinball parts blowout. I think one person lost an arm.

#362 87 days ago

Pinball Life deserves an award for the amount of deals they brought to the show this year! For real.

#363 87 days ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

High and dry.....hey you with the face!

#364 87 days ago
    Quoted from marcand:

Pinball Life deserves an award for the amount of deals they brought to the show this year! For real.

I always said there should be a "Best Booth" award.

John

#365 86 days ago

Reasons people do not bring games to shows as per the past:

1) a person can sell a game online with no fees on market place, fb groups, c list . in the past those avenues were not present.
    no need to break down a game, haul it to a show where it gets non stop plays in the risk of it breaking while its for sale.

2) games cost more these days then they used to, so once again, the risk of moving them to a show where they may get scratched or worse and also where they will get played a ton and abused even by some is a turn off.

3) what is the incentive to bring a game to a show and its not for sale? you shop it before and after a show and risk it being damaged or breaking form non stop use. labor, time, money in parts all for what? others to play your game for free? Some people unfortunately do not respect games so there is that...

I used to do it, but it gets old after a while when it comes down to the situations i mentioned.

I took a restored congo to expo one time and a tall guy was sitting with his a** on the lockbar, with a drink on the glass watching his buddies play a game next to it, scraping his body all over the cabinet, etc. My congo was virtually flawless and fresh powder coat.

another time i took a high end game and I walked over to check it out at the show and another guy is setting up his game next to mine and had his tools , leg bolts, cell phone etc all over my glass as if its a work bench.

not for me anymore...

#366 86 days ago

I think another reason games don't get brought to a show is because people only have enough car space to move one game at a time and if they bring a game for people to play then they wont have space in the car to buy a game at the show, plus bring the the game they brought for everyone to play home as well. So the answer is to not bring a game at all and keep the car space empty "just in case" something shows up worth buying.

John

#367 86 days ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

risk it being damaged or breaking form non stop use. labor, time, money in parts all for what?

I had my Data East game head damaged by a moving company I had no control over.
    I concur with everything you have mentioned.

#368 86 days ago

We can all speculate reasons for not bringing a game. The focus should be on what would entice getting games to the show.

#369 86 days ago

Interesting note on the WPPRs for Main - - when it first posted, it had only the 25% Certified boost since of the 137 participants, 4 didn't complete the required number of games, and 6 others were not yet rated, dropping the rated-player-count to 127, 1 below the cutoff of 128 for Certified Plus. BUT . . . 2 of those 6 not-yet-rated players had played in side events (Thursday and Friday daily, Classics) and got over the 5-event hump in them. Since these side events concluded Before_ the Main event did, when the side results were uploaded - a day later - and the system re-ran everything, the main event count rose to 129 and thus boosted the event factor from 125% to 150%. The Harmons were wondering if Main would get over the Plus hump or not - - it just did.

#370 86 days ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

High and dry.....hey you with the face!

Hey Turkey, c'mon hit me

#371 86 days ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

We can all speculate reasons for not bringing a game. The focus should be on what would entice getting games to the show.

Chance drawing for ColorDMD or Pinsound?

#372 86 days ago

Increase the door price and that might encourage more pinballs. Just saying it's been $20 for a while. What's the inflation rate? Offer some best in show and raffle would help. I try to bring games each year because I know it's important to keep the show going, sometimes things don't work out. Koz use to offer a pickup service for MPE. That was a neat idea. It would also help if places like One well and other local arcades should donate small truckload to the show to help get going and get them some advertising. Just my two cents.

#373 86 days ago

the mpe game delivery system (after the show) did not work out so well. damaged games, games show up in your driveway at 2am, missing/wrong legs, etc. I mean it could be done better, but when you ask someone that does not own the game to move it, these things are to be expected.

#374 85 days ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

Chance drawing for ColorDMD or Pinsound?

still not enough. lots of opportunity costs when you bring a game. getting in a show for free isnt the answer, a random drawing also isnt the answer, unless its for a nib game perhaps...
    some shows, its not so easy getting your game(s) inside either, lots of hoops to jump through, vehicles in the way of unloading, etc.

#375 81 days ago

I get all the reasons not to bring a game. They are all valid for sure, however if we all stop bringing games then the shows simply don’t work. More enticement would also be cool, but you can only go so far due to costs. I think it boils down to show attendees have to bring games for the love of the hobby/shows. I attend shows for a multitude of reasons beyond playing games. One main one is the people and the atmosphere. I like seeing friends I haven’t talked with in a long time. Also, running across a game I’ve never seen or played is cool. Vendors are a draw as well.

#376 75 days ago
    Quoted from harmon1728:

Hello everyone!
    This is Alex, the guy who has been running most of the show for the last few years. I've read and digested all the comments in this thread and for the most part I totally get it. I want to use this post to explain a few things. First off, attendance was not down. We actually were up from last year in regard to non-game bringing attendees. Games were down slightly but it was very close to last year. To be honest, everything changed after Covid. Many vendors started backing out and lots of game bringers faded away. 2019 was the best year for PATZ. I think the theories in here regarding games being so much more valuable now is the main culprit. I also had more vendors lined up that just didn't show as well as a couple that normally would be there but had other obligations this year.
    I definitely could have done a better job promoting this year and that is on me. I had some things come up with my day job that took precedence this year. I promise this will be rectified for next year. We have to really blow it out for the 25th year. It means a lot that Kevin would trust me with running the show and I value its history greatly. This show will not die.
    In regard to the tournament games. Again, I get it. I got my start in pinball on the tournament side and my family, and I built that tournament into what it is now. I am not just a tournament player though. I own many games, route games and own an arcade in Fremont. At my core, I am a pinball hobbyist. I barely play tournaments anymore and didn't even really try playing the tournaments at all this year. I will make sure I am more a part of the show moving forward. When it is a Stern Pro Circuit event, it takes up a TON of my attention. I tried getting in the show more, but I was constantly called over for a ruling or a repair.
    If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Getting more games is always my top concern with the show. A lot of this rides on the community. I only have the ability to bring 13 games with me. I would LOVE for the 25th year to be our best year yet.
    At the end of the day, I LOVE the vibe of PATZ. It is a delicate balance in regard to making changes and keeping the vibe similar. Every decision I make is in tandem with our goal of keeping the vibe the same. I sincerely thank everyone who supported us this year. It means the world to me that people love being a part of this show. I already have lots of ideas that hopefully will be implemented for next year. Let's break some records for our show next year!
    If you have any ideas or need to contact me in any way, feel free to message me on here or email me at [email protected]

I'm late to this party but wanted to tell you that apologies aren't needed. PATZ is a collector supported show. We can all chip in and make it better. Special thanks to Tilt Amausements for that amazing line up. I was one of the judges and was honored to vote the Elton John Collector's edition "Best in Show"

Let's do all we can to support PATZ and all Michigan shows and venues.

#377 72 days ago

Anybody know who owns the Data East Maverick that was at the show this year?

John

There are 377 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.