Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 557 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by rwmech5
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

facebook_1718975723145_7209906751493632101_225065681153778 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231229_111230 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4020 (resized).jpeg
    fast-cat-typing.gif
    Screenshot_20231102-084206 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_7980 (resized).png
    IMG_7974 (resized).png
    IMG_6767 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8075 (resized).jpeg
    63F3BAE2-C7B5-4688-9B55-9340442AF0D9_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
    DC477A82-C2E6-477D-BA4C-FC2903DF1F2F_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9896.gif
    hit (resized).jpg
    IMG_6758 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1750.gif
    There are 557 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.
    #501 7 months ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

What about after? Is it only where his primary residence is?

If he owns an expensive residence and sells it to leave the state, they now have a special tax for that too. Gotta keep the revenue going one way or another.

#502 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If he owns an expensive residence and sells it to leave the state, they now have a special tax for that too. Gotta keep the revenue going one way or another.

Same thing Illinois

#503 7 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

True, but only his home games are CA taxed. All the others are taxed dependent on where you play.

No, they are taxed additionally where there are state taxes. It’s known as the “jock tax”

#504 7 months ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

What about after? Is it only where his primary residence is?

We have a family friend who played nearly 15 years in MLB. Where the team plays (road and home games) as well as their residence has massive implications on the tax rate. This is absolutely a tax play, well also helping the team avoid luxury tax.

#505 7 months ago
    Quoted from puristish:

This is absolutely a tax play, well also helping the team avoid luxury tax.

How so? Deferred money is still taxed when you collect that money, he’s just kicking the can down the road, so to speak.

#506 7 months ago

A more eloquent and long-winded explanation than I can make:

https://jaymariotti.substack.com/p/shohei-will-adore-his-new-la-life

#507 7 months ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

No it’s where the employer is located

Incorrect. It is where it is earned. Players have to pay state income taxes for games played within that state, which means it isn't thus taxed by the state in which the employer is located for those games/days. I know a broadcaster for NBA games and he has to file taxes in all the states where he calls games, because his pay for that game is considered earned in that state. He doesn't get double taxed, though. Today in Texas, taxed today in Texas only. Tomorrow in Portland, taxed in Oregon tomorrow only, etc...

Same thing if Otani moves out of CA after this contract. He will not pay CA tax on the $68M/yr if he is residing elsewhere when it is paid to him. It is no different than someone working for a company incorporated in Delaware, but living in another state. That person's salary is taxed in the state where he lives, not Delaware, where the payment was processed.

#508 7 months ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Incorrect. It is where it is earned. Players have to pay state income taxes for games played within that state, which means it isn't thus taxed by the state in which the employer is located for those games/days. I know a broadcaster for NBA games and he has to file taxes in all the states where he calls games, because his pay for that game is considered earned in that state. He doesn't get double taxed, though. Today in Texas, taxed today in Texas only. Tomorrow in Portland, taxed in Oregon tomorrow only, etc...
    Same thing if Otani moves out of CA after this contract. He will not pay CA tax on the $68M/yr if he is residing elsewhere when it is paid to him. It is no different than someone working for a company incorporated in Delaware, but living in another state. That person's salary is taxed in the state where he lives, not Delaware, where the payment was processed.

That could be insanely brilliant. He pays tax on 20 million while playing here for 10 years than pays tax on 680 million when he moves home to Japan.

Wonder what their tax system is like?

#509 7 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

That could be insanely brilliant. He pays tax on 20 million while playing here for 10 years than pays tax on 680 million when he moves home to Japan.
    Wonder what their tax system is like?

My thinking exactly. He is no dummy not giving this state any more money than he has to any sooner than he has to. Plus he could end up traded to a more tax friendly state later on.

#510 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

My thinking exactly. He is no dummy not giving this state any more money than he has to any sooner than he has to. Plus he could end up traded to a more tax friendly state later on.

Full no-trade. And he has an opt out if the owner sells or team president leaves.

#511 7 months ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

This is 100% correct. It’s always about the money, kids!

Our family friend played part of his career in California, and the tax pain was real. It’s also why so many players choose to live in Florida and Arizona. It’s not just spring training and weather… It’s money.

2 weeks later
    #512 6 months ago

And right now the Houston Astro’s are dreaming up ways to cheat that would
    blow your mind- The Simpsons

IMG_4020 (resized).jpegIMG_4020 (resized).jpeg

#513 6 months ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:And right now the Houston Astro’s are dreaming up ways to cheat that would
    blow your mind- The Simpsons
    [quoted image]

Rent free.

#514 6 months ago

As an Orioles fan, I think I can safely state this about how all other Orioles fans feel. Peter Angelos and/or his family MUST sell the team. Orioles fans want the ownership to invest in the team and improve it. Orioles fans want the ownership to invest in free agents and also to lock up the good young drafted guys to legitimate open-market salary commitments. Please sign a legitimate starting pitcher free agent (lefty preferred). Trade the log-jam of AAA, AA infield prospects that all can't play short stop, 3rd base, or 2nd base for the Orioles in Baltimore at the same time. Gunnar is going to be fun to watch. I hope they can keep him around for the next decade.

#515 6 months ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:As an Orioles fan, I think I can safely state this about how all other Orioles fans feel. Peter Angelos and/or his family MUST sell the team. Orioles fans want the ownership to invest in the team and improve it. Orioles fans want the ownership to invest in free agents and also to lock up the good young drafted guys to legitimate open-market salary commitments. Please sign a legitimate starting pitcher free agent (lefty preferred). Trade the log-jam of AAA, AA infield prospects that all can't play short stop, 3rd base, or 2nd base for the Orioles in Baltimore at the same time. Gunnar is going to be fun to watch. I hope they can keep him around for the next decade.

Did you copy this from a Pirates fan page? Do we secretly have the same ownership? At least Baltimore is starting to see some success...but I agree, the Angelos family is a joke. Suspending their well liked announcer for verbally reading a factual stat that happened to not be Baltimore homer-centric was really, really weird.

#516 6 months ago

haha. JodyG I forget all about the Pirates and how miserable they have been. Who used to own the Pirates when they were great in those Andy Van Slyke days? Is it still the same ownership? Whoever assembled that collection of talent back in the late 1980's did a great job. Drabek, Smiley, Bonilla, Bonds, Van Slyke! Leyland as the manager and Ray Miller as the pitching coach! Good times there.

#517 6 months ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

haha. JodyG I forget all about the Pirates and how miserable they have been. Who used to own the Pirates when they were great in those Andy Van Slyke days? Is it still the same ownership? Whoever assembled that collection of talent back in the late 1980's did a great job. Drabek, Smiley, Bonilla, Bonds, Van Slyke! Leyland as the manager and Ray Miller as the pitching coach! Good times there.

Interesting you bring that up...that was during the "Pittsburgh Associates" era....Wikipedia racaps it nicely:

"Pittsburgh Associates was a consortium of the City of Pittsburgh and local businesses which owned the Pittsburgh Pirates from 1986 to 1996. It was spearheaded during a dark year for the ball club with national media focused on the Pittsburgh drug trials, where many former Pirates as well as other major leaguers were brought up on Federal drug charges for offenses through the early 1980s. The Pirates had gone from a World Series victory in 1979 and contention as late as 1983, to a 100-loss season in 1985. At the same time, longtime owner John W. Galbreath was looking for a new buyer, and cities such as New Orleans and Portland were making attractive bids.

The Associates were spearheaded by popular Pittsburgh Mayor Richard S. Caliguiri and some prominent corporate leaders of such companies as Westinghouse, Alcoa, PPG, United States Steel,[1] PNC, Mellon Financial, Carnegie Mellon University and Ryan Homes. Other investors include Chicago real estate developer Harvey Walken, Pittsburgh contractor Frank Schneider and Pittsburgh businessman Frank Fuhrer as well as Block Communications co-owner and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette publisher William Block. The deal was intended to ensure that the Pirates would stay in Pittsburgh until a new long-term buyer could be found to keep the club in the city. However, the consortium's stewardship of the Pirates would last for 10 years until Kevin McClatchy bought the team in 1996."

#518 6 months ago

Come on, Fox News. Do better.

IMG_20231229_111230 (resized).jpgIMG_20231229_111230 (resized).jpg
    #519 6 months ago

Oopsie

#520 6 months ago

Not sure. You should probably ask the creators of the Simpsons. I do know that no one is rent free in my head. I have the memory of a goldfish. I never report posts to the mods. Not even about “rodeos” or urban wannabe cowboys. I would be a complete snowflake if I did that. Rent free.

2 months later
    #521 4 months ago

Hey yall! Thought you’d appreciate this. Just had the opportunity to move Joey Votto’s HUO stern OG avengers to his assistants house. It was a gift to her.

He bought it new and plugged it in and turned it on and never turned it off for its whole life. Haha. Not a single bulb was burnt out.

2 weeks later
    #522 3 months ago

I got to see the reigning Triple A champion Tides beat Durham for their season opener Friday. No. 1 prospect Jackson Holliday cracked a homer at his first at bat, but had a few errors at first base later in the game. The Orioles will surely call him up at some point, but in my opinion he needs some more seasoning. It's good to be back in the park!

1 month later
    #523 76 days ago

Coming up on a 1/4 through the season. Biggest surprises? Like your team and their chances? Pretty surprised by Guardians, Cubs, Jays and Astros starts to the season so far.

#524 76 days ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

Coming up on a 1/4 through the season. Biggest surprises? Like your team and their chances? Pretty surprised by Guardians, Cubs, Jays and Astros starts to the season so far.

Yankees without Cole.

#525 76 days ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

The Orioles will surely call him up at some point, but in my opinion he needs some more seasoning.

Well, the Orioles did call Jackson Holliday up too quickly, and then promptly sent him back down to triple A to season more. I saw the first two games of his return to the Tides. No hits and a walk for the first game. He did get a base hit on the second game. I still feel like he will be great with a little more experience.

#526 76 days ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

Well, the Orioles did call Jackson Holliday up too quickly, and then promptly sent him back down to triple A to season more. I saw the first two games of his return to the Tides. No hits and a walk for the first game. He did get a base hit on the second game. I still feel like he will be great with a little more experience.

The kid was terrible in the majors. Besides the hitting, he wasn't playing a great 2nd base either. Gunnar is my favorite of the new guys by far, but the guy who I love that doesn't get any of the hype is Jordan Westburg.

#527 76 days ago

The Pirates might have the best two prospects in the league, but they are going to get zero run support. They went from the most HR's in spring training to the entire league figuring them out in 2 weeks. Its like Matt Canada 2.0 over there...every batter is going to stare at the first two pitches to "up the pitch count" the entire season, so the opposing pitcher might as well throw two meatballs right down the middle, save your arm and get ahead in the count. Uggh.

#528 76 days ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Gunnar is my favorite of the new guys by far

He was great with the Tides. We really feel his absence.

#529 76 days ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

I’m surprised w the shitty start by the Astros n Rockies..nice to see the strohs struuugglinn

#531 76 days ago

Any thoughts on all the pitching injuries and the clock? Possible ball/strike challenges and/or robo-umps? Orioles and Phils are looking good. I think you could pick 3/4 of the playoff teams already.

#532 76 days ago

Angel and C.B. need to be put out to pasture.

#533 75 days ago

I am hoping to head up to Camden Yards next month. We will be wearing Braves gear, but if any of you Baltimore guys will be at the park, I will be happy to buy you a beer!

2 weeks later
    #534 56 days ago

Regardless of what team you root for, I think we as humans are all unified in agreeing Angel Hernandez sucks. He will probably go terrorize some little league now.

Remember, a court of law actually found that he sucked so badly at his job that being denied World Series assignments was not considered discriminatory.

Bad day for CB Bucknor though, hes now the worst ump in the league.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40231476/mlb-umpire-angel-hernandez-retiring

Angel couldnt be reached for comment....missed that call too!

3 weeks later
    #535 35 days ago

Rip Willie Mays, one of if not the best outfielder ever.

#536 35 days ago

I had not heard until your post. RIP. Watching a game now.

#537 34 days ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

Rip Willie Mays, one of if not the best outfielder ever.

Back in grade school I was a big Willie Mays fan.
    For my birthday, my father took me to Shea Stadium on Sept 25, 1973 which was "Willie Mays Day".
    It was supposed to be his last game to play, but the Mets made it to the World Series that year and he played in a couple of those games.
    That was over 50 years ago, and I still remember it clearly.

#538 34 days ago

Yankees took some cheap shots at O’s batters tonight. I’m happy Baltimore came out on top in the extra inning.

#539 33 days ago

Don’t be surprised when the teams best player gets hurt from a hbp and the other side does the same. Unwritten rules, like it or leave it.

#540 33 days ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

Don’t be surprised when the teams best player gets hurt from a hbp and the other side does the same. Unwritten rules, like it or leave it.

Judge was crowding the plate and got hit on the hand, small wonder. The Yankees pitches were intentional retaliation.

#541 33 days ago

Crowding the plate? He’s 6-7. He can stand on the edge of the box and cover the outer half and yer damn right. That’s old school ball. Maybe the league should make a rule where a batter gets hit and is out for injury the other side loses a player of equal value.

#542 33 days ago

Juan Soto bugs me. Everything about him.
    Stanton's home run was impressive.
    Oriole's bull pen needs help. Missing Bautista for sure.
    The home plate umpire last night was trash. For some reason he wouldn't warn the Yankees to stop hitting Orioles batters.
    Gunnar is pretty fun.

#543 33 days ago

Hoping it’s a one and done with the beanball between these teams. Lots of talent on both sides and hope to see some close games the rest of this year. O’s are young,fast and fun to watch good for fans after all the years of mediocrity

#544 33 days ago

O’s made quite a statement today. I hope the Braves come in and do the same. Yankees bullpen is shallow at the moment.

#545 32 days ago
    facebook_1718975723145_7209906751493632101_225065681153778 (resized).jpgfacebook_1718975723145_7209906751493632101_225065681153778 (resized).jpg
    #546 32 days ago

O’s had better cash a chip in the next couple of seasons or they’ll be the next Jays. I don’t think they have the market to lock up Adley and Gunnar plus the rest of the young talent long term. Those 2 should be in the 400/10 range.

#547 32 days ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

O’s had better cash a chip in the next couple of seasons or they’ll be the next Jays. I don’t think they have the market to lock up Adley and Gunnar plus the rest of the young talent long term. Those 2 should be in the 400/10 range.

Are you unaware how wealthy the Orioles' new primary owner is?

#548 32 days ago

I think the biggest problem is the agent for some of these players. Scott Boras is Gunnar Henderson's agent.

#549 32 days ago

Owners want to make money, nobody on Baltimore is going to pay up for season tix at 3k a game. They can’t sell out now and they’re good , what happens when they stink again?

#550 32 days ago

You do realize that David Rubenstein, 74, has a net worth of $4.6 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index? Do you think he would purchase the team with the intent of being cheap and never re-signing their own talent? I think Scott Boras will advise Gunnar Henderson to not negotiate a deal with the Orioles and instead let the open market do the negotiating for him.

There are 557 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.