17%
  • Rush 128 votes
    48%

(264 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

40729D16-E8A0-4189-BA92-2EBD736C608C.gif
5B2BB934-EFC1-434D-9182-3D7543A17391 (resized).jpeg

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

What do you think the 2022 Pin of the Year is (so far)?

It just occurred to me that there have been no megahits in 2022, no clear and away winners.

I don’t think any of the major companies are expected to launch any more games this year. 2021 had Godzilla, 2020 had Guns N Roses, 2019 Had Jurassic Park, 2018 Had JJP Pirates. No idea who actually won in those years but those are all heavy hitters. Barring a surprise launch, as far as original titles launched n 2022, what do you think the game of the year will be? No one has really played Bond yet but still from the videos…

We have Bond, This is Spinal Tap, TNA, Queen, Toy Story 4, Rush, and Weird Al.

Of those the one I'm most interested in is Weird Al, but am assuming others will say Bond. Curious as to what others think.

Going in off of the results I think I'll see I'm guessing the results will be:

Bond
Toy Story
Rush
Weird Al
TNA
Queen
This is Spinal Tap

At TWIPY time I'm guessing Bond will win.

#2 1 year ago

Rush will win GOTY. Bond is fading fast and code will not be able to save it before vote is in. Also, 2018 winner was IMDN as ppl didn't like POTC at launch due to some cost cutting of things like the triple spinning disc, production was very low, causing the high prices of today. Curious if Bond 60th gets shipped this year and is eligible for GOTY regardless of year we haven't had a limited product become eligible before. I think that will ultimately stop it from winning. Still can't believe GNR fooled the community like that smh..

#3 1 year ago

Lotta dogs on that list.
Weird Al because that’s the only one that has any fun. It’ll be along time till I can play one, but TS4 and Rush were huge letdowns. TNA shouldn’t count as a rerun. Spinal Tap suffers an immediate handicap of being a HomePin product

#4 1 year ago

RUSH 100% for me - I Wasn’t impressed with any of the others.

#5 1 year ago

TWIPY voting is in Jan? I'd say depends on the state of Bond code. Else Rush for most stuff except maybe Weird Al for innovation and Toy Story for art. I don't think TNA should be eligible. Galactic Tank Force is a wild card for best art if it manages to ship.

#6 1 year ago

Rush pro

#7 1 year ago

I agree it’s gonna be Rush for the win, because I think the bond code has so far to go

#8 1 year ago

What about Halloween?

#10 1 year ago

Best music is Queen. Also, TMNT should have been 2020 goty

#11 1 year ago

I really really think it’s WAMONH - Rush is one of my favorite bands of all time, but I don’t think it’s as good a game. Shame so few people have played the P3; these polls will always overwhelmingly favor Stern games just because of the market penetration. 2021? Obviously Stern’s. But 2022? multimorphic, people!

#12 1 year ago

Queen isn't even shipping this year and the code is in its infancy. Don't think it'll even get one vote. TNA is an older game, and reboots shouldn't count. I vote Rush.

#13 1 year ago

Wow 2022 was odd.
Folks behind this one delivered..
5B2BB934-EFC1-434D-9182-3D7543A17391 (resized).jpeg5B2BB934-EFC1-434D-9182-3D7543A17391 (resized).jpeg

#14 1 year ago

We could just toss this year into the "no clear winner...come back in 2023" category.

Nothing year got me excited. This year felt about as exciting as going to one of those traveling carnivals that visit random empty parking lots.

#15 1 year ago

After so many consecutive years of at least a debate in this discussion, it’s wild in 2022 that Rush will limp to the top spot uncontested.

It’s a rehash layout with a polarizing band (who I personally love). But it was lucky to come out in a down calendar year plagued with supply chain issues and poor competition.

According to IPDB, in 2019 we got OKT, BKSoR, Wonka… and then freggin JP and EHOH.

In 2020 we got STH, HW, TMNT, Heist, GnR, and AIQ.

In 2021 we got Godzilla… and now that we have that clear favorite out of the way I may as well mention games like AlienSV, LZ, Mando, and Celts.

Each year above has 1-2 absolute bangers with widespread love and then at least a mediocre supporting cast beneath. Rush would be lucky to sniff second in any of those years.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

After so many consecutive years of at least a debate in this discussion, it’s wild in 2022 that Rush will limp to the top spot uncontested.
It’s a rehash layout with a polarizing band (who I personally love). But it was lucky to come out in a down calendar year plagued with supply chain issues and poor competition.
According to IPDB, in 2019 we got OKT, BKSoR, Wonka… and then freggin JP and EHOH.
In 2020 we got STH, HW, TMNT, Heist, GnR, and AIQ.
In 2021 we got Godzilla… and now that we have that clear favorite out of the way I may as well mention games like AlienSV, LZ, Mando, and Celts.
Each year above has 1-2 absolute bangers with widespread love and then at least a mediocre supporting cast beneath. Rush would be lucky to sniff second in any of those years.

Yea terrible year for pinball on many fronts

#17 1 year ago

I'm surprised Rush doesn't click with more people. I love the game.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from finman2000:

It’s beyond fine for what it is, but it screams filler title. It will be the next Aerosmith. Good, not great… but that’s enough to win for this year.

#19 1 year ago

Rush is immersive, has excellent flow, and the coding is exceptional. Rush deserves game of the year.

40729D16-E8A0-4189-BA92-2EBD736C608C.gif40729D16-E8A0-4189-BA92-2EBD736C608C.gif
#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

It’s beyond fine for what it is, but it screams filler title. It will be the next Aerosmith. Good, not great… but that’s enough to win for this year.

You have absolutely no idea how popular Rush is as a title.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from finman2000:

The music is beyond terrible and the singer is supercreepy.

This is a terrible pinball year.
Wierd al gets my vote.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from gouveia:

How do you figure this? Pinside ownership is one of the lowest of any Stern(if not the lowest), you can buy an HUO well below MSRP, pretty much every distributor has them in stock and if you follow the what’s on the line at Stern thread, it’s had the fewest production runs. I can’t comment on gameplay, as I haven’t played it.

#23 1 year ago

Too early for Bond, wait until the code at least creeps up to 0.70 before making a judgment. Rush, no idea who they are so not interested. Queen, again very basic early code. Weird Al and Spinal Tap are a firm hell no. TNA is just a rerun. TS is the clear winner this year, at least the game is mostly finished.

#24 1 year ago

For me Rush Premium!

#25 1 year ago

There are ten shiny dog turds in the backyard and one looks better than the others. That's the clear winner.

Is that what we're doing? Do I have to pick?

I like pinball and while I do like many of these games that came out, I don’t think any of them are worthy of the “game of the year" title.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from gouveia:

No great fan of the band, played Rush at Pintastic and it shot fantastic.

In a choice between Mandalorian and Rush, Rush wins. Mandalorian is a clunkfest in comparison.

#27 1 year ago

Rush is a John Borg gem of a playfield design, in the premium and LE configuration at least, and... scoop protector issues and Stern fix kit issues not withstanding (thank you Ninja Camp scoop protectors). The ruleset is really great as well. This gets my vote.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from finman2000:

No accounting for taste; I still don't understand people that dislike STh. Then again, I can't stand TZ, so there you go...

#29 1 year ago

Godzilla

#30 1 year ago

As others mentioned Bond is just too early in code where I doubt it wins. However I think long term it will be more popular than Rush. I don't dislike the band but not a big fan either....thought it shot very well. Weird Al is cool but can't see that winning. TS4 I thought played well but think Rush will beat it.

Again Bond gets some hate too early. They messed up the launch and code is weak now (legit complaints), but I'm patient enough to not worry about it.

#31 1 year ago

I just picked up a Rush Pro this week and I think it doesn't get the love it deserves. I had pushed it off at first because honestly I don't really like the music (sorry Rush fans). But it really is a fantastic shooting game and really has the Borg greatest hits vibe going for it. It feels like John had time to really dial in some of his past layout efforts. Combine that with absolutely fantastic code it is a real winner for me. I feel like you need to play it many times to understand the code there is a lot to it. I still don't understand all the various colors and blinking/strobing etc...... but my 3rd Borg in the collection and he is my favorite designer at Stern. I also have GZ Pro and maybe it is the honeymoon phase but I think Rush is the better long term keeper. For me no doubt game of the year.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from gouveia:

Oh no I do. It’s just up against zero competition in this poll so there’s nothing else great to which we can compare.

But I’m so over “it’s such a great layout”. It’s a X-men with a ramp diverter and the scoop in front of the other pop bumper.

#33 1 year ago

I was pleasantly surprised how much fun Rush is. Did a straight trade of Star Wars just for something new to play and glad I did.

Not a long term keeper for me, no game really is, but fun while I have it.

#34 1 year ago

It's probably Rush, but this is the first year in a long time that I haven't felt compelled to own any of the games. I think 2023 will be a much stronger year with a new KME game, new Eric (JJP) game and a new Dennis Nordman game as well as others (Spooky Scooby-Doo).

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

No accounting for taste; I still don't understand people that dislike STh. Then again, I can't stand TZ, so there you go...

Ha, I love stranger things and hate twilight zone too (Arnold arm meme intensifies).

And I agree with anyone saying Rush is underrated. Astoundingly good geometry. Borg never tries to reinvent the wheel, but keeps making better and better wheels. Another underrated borg game is TMNT.

#36 1 year ago

Rush is the greatest game ever made with the best music ever created. Easy win.

#38 1 year ago

I must be one of the few guys out there that doesn't like Rush music.
But the game itself, doesn't shoot bad.

I still wouldn't own it for home, maybe on location though.
I thought Bond would be GOTY, not so sure now.

#39 1 year ago

The thing that I really like about rush but I think it’s may be a bit underappreciated is the utilization of the upper flipper. It shoots great but you actually have to use it. If you compare and contrast that iron maiden or Godzilla you can simply ignore the upper flipper to not put the ball in harms way. And I know you’ve got your distraction jackpot and etc. but if you watch a lot of these tournaments they completely leave the upper flipper alone in a lot of cases for both of those games. For the code of rush you have to use it to really progress at all. In my opinion it’s one of the better games out there for consistently having to shoot many different shots and lots of times lol. Just my 2 cents

#40 1 year ago

Rush is a truly great game no matter what the year. For 2022 it is the run away winner at this point. Bond looks good but games released early in the year have the better look and Rush is now at 1.01 software. It is complete and almost done polishing too!

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from pingod:

I must be one of the few guys out there that doesn't like Rush music.

You are going to get thrown out of Canada for posting this!

#42 1 year ago

Does TNA count as a 2022 release? Even so, while fun, it's no Rush or Weird Al. I've played Rush, Weird Al, and Toy Story so far. I voted for Weird Al. It's a complete experience with fun modes and cool mechs... very rare for a music pin.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Spinal Tap suffers an immediate handicap of being a HomePin product

... add to that the consensus being it was craptacular at the "release" - bad enough that it is legitimate to wonder whether any really ship in 2022.

-Rob
-visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement Type 1 sound board for classic Williams games

#44 1 year ago

I voted Toy Story. No interest in Rush maybe other than Met I’m not into music pins. Played several games of Rush at Enterium passed on playing at expo even though games were open.

After owning Aerosmith I turn off station when they are playing their songs. Heard them too many times when I owned the pin.

Pat Lawlor and JJP hit my sweet spot. So much fun.

Cheers

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Rush is a John Borg gem of a playfield design, in the premium and LE configuration at least, and... scoop protector issues and Stern fix kit issues not withstanding (thank you Ninja Camp scoop protectors). The ruleset is really great as well. This gets my vote.

Only played the pro, and usual Borg shit going on. Whats the premium got over it?

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Only played the pro, and usual Borg shit going on. Whats the premium got over it?

Just played the Prem in a tourney. Multiple scoop ejects, the drum clock turns, lifting time machine ramp for no apparent reason, VUK on the shot to left of that for no apparent reason. May be something with the instrument targets too but I never care to shoot them. That’s basically it.

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The Prem/LE Dead End shot has a VUK that feeds a wireform, where the Dead End shot of the pro just has a stand up target. I like the added flow that VUK to wireform gives. Angel Clock "toy" is also pretty cool.

#48 1 year ago

The code on Rush is so deep and filled with so much love from the band, it's The One. But Weird Al is a not-very-distant second.

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

The Prem/LE Dead End shot has a VUK that feeds a wireform, where the Dead End shot of the pro just has a stand up target...

Unlike Zep, for me that's the best shot in Rush I'll have to look it up...you can hit it from the right flipper? That's pretty cool actually.

EDIT:

Ahhh I see. That VUK in the dead end seems like it would be worse in play; better in MB maybe?
Clock is dumb.
What does the middle LOTR ring shot do with ramp down...feed the back loop. Sleepy Borg.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ahhh I see. That VUK in the dead end seems like it would be worse in play; better in MB maybe?
Clock is dumb.
What does the middle LOTR ring shot do with ramp down...feed the back loop. Sleepy Borg.

The VUK is cool for combos. If you hit it for 1, it shoots to the right flipper to set you up for 2. On the Pro you lose the flow factor for the combo.

Clock I can take it or leave it…but it’s always cool to have a moving/animated feature.

When the ramp is down, the shots count toward qualifying Multiball. When it’s up, you know you’ve got a combo, Jackpot, or mode start to collect. It seemed stupid when I saw it at first, but in practice it’s fun. It essentially turns that shot into a bash toy when nothing collectible is lit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Plastics
The Electric Playground
Plastics
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods
Other
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 425.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mead, WA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10,495.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
$ 17.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Rubber/Silicone
NinjaCamp Mods
Rubber/Silicone
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 8.00
Apparel - Unisex
arcade-cabinets.com
Unisex
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2022-game-of-the-year-so-far/ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.