Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 163 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by djreddog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you plan to watch one or more XFL games?”

• No, only NFL for me 37 votes
      30%
    • No, only NFL and college games for me 17 votes
      14%
    • Yeah, I will give the XFL a look 70 votes
      56%

(124 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200229_150239 (resized).jpg
    XFL-SEA-Dragons1920x1080-Black-Edited-620x370 (resized).jpg
    DSCN6568 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6567 (resized).JPG
    xfl.png
    D40C3000-87CF-4F7C-99A5-86D9ECEC33AC (resized).jpeg
    Alliance_of_American_Football_logo (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    632D23AC-1DEE-4C7B-9EE0-9CF1F61CD529.gif
    xfl-hot-tub (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 4 years ago

No.

This will be tits up by this time next year, and that's probably being generous.

Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I really hope they do well and have quality players and quality games.

And I hope someone dumps $3 million in cash in my hallway while I'm at work. Sometimes hopes just ain't enough.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Pass for me.
    It will depend on how much money Vince wants to burn. Ego might keep it alive past a year or two but I just don't see the demand to watch sub par football. It will only be a matter of time till people realize they have something better to do with their time.
    Even with the screwy rules of the CFL it's a hard watch. The quality of athletes and competition is so far less it's not enjoyable at all to watch on TV. Can't remember the last time I even watched a Grey Cup let alone a regular season game.

It's going to be an embarrassment just like last time. There simply aren't enough good players to go around and everybody is sick of football after the Super Bowl. The football will be terrible, the stadiums will be empty, and ratings will be shit. We just went through this last year with the..AAFI...FLAAI...AINFL...what the fuck was it called again?

I can't fathom why Vince is wasting his money on this. At least last time he had NBC to absorb the humiliation and financial loss with him, this time, it's entirely on his ass.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I didnt know anything about XFL until opening Pinside today. And I’m an NFL fan on social media, search engines etc... How do they communicate ?

I'm pretty sure their entire online promotional plan is plugs by Odin.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

we are planning to have some XFL watch parties and organize some pinball events to go with them. .

Pro tip: set these for EARLY in the XFL season so you can be sure they actually happen.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

isn't football already the whiteclaw version of football?

Yeah I keep reading about how pussified it's become and back in the day when three players per game were decapitated it was better yadda yadda

#51 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

There's alot of bad talk about the AAF here, and while the comments about the poor game play are valid, that league was intended to be a testing ground for NFL rule changes & develop a minor league for upcoming NFL players.
    The rules were unique though. No TV time outs & game in under 2.5 hours. Shorter play clock. No extra points, 2 point conversion mandatory. No kickoffs. Onside kicks replaced by a 4th & 12 play from your own 28 yard line. The biggest thing was that all players & the football had microchips with real-time tracking technology. That app could eventually allow the potential for real time sports betting for every play or series, but the league could never get it to work right. Sports Illustrated said the league was eventually purchased & immediately shut down, just to obtain the rights to that technology.
    It's heart was in the right place though. It had the support of the NFL (former executives in charge, former NFL coaches, use of NFL practice squad players, games on CBS/TNT/NFL Network, etc). It just didn't have the financial backing of the NFL. When the league really started hemorrhaging cash, they pulled the plug fast. Can't really blame them.
    The reason leagues like the USFL worked in the mid-80s was because they had deep pockets, had teams in big markets & signed the top players out of college (like Hershel Walker, Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Doug Flutie, etc), which gave the league immediate legitimacy & sparked interest. The games were fun & exciting. They had a good thing going & showed that a spring football league could be successful. But when they decided to compete directly against the NFL & play games their games in the fall, everything collapsed. It was a different time.
    When your star players are NFL 3rd stringers & practice squad guys, a new league is never going to be successful. Too many other entertainment choices for people today than to sit there & watch bad football. XFL is going to suffer the same fate. If they were smart, they would sign Antonio Brown ASAP and make him the showcase of the league. Let him put up 2000 yards receiving & 20+ TDs. People would tune in to see that shitshow, that's for sure.

I agree with most of your post. But they can't afford Antonio Brown.

They'll have to settle for Terell Owens or Ochocinco.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

Not sure if srs. XFL will be over in April

That’s a pretty optimistic prediction!

I’m thinking March.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I would counter that AB is basically kidding himself if he thinks he's going to get a new deal next year if he's still carrying around all that baggage. And apparently he still hasn't learned a thing. I heard that when the Saints offered him a tryout a couple weeks ago, they told him "If you are serious, just show up for the workout, no entourage, no distractions". Of course he showed up with his entourage, Saints told him no thanks.
    He's a complete fool. AB & Vince McMahon are a match made in heaven. He could act the fool all he wants in the XFL & that league would eat it up. Plus he would completely dominate against NFL 3rd stringers & it would make a strong case that he deserves another NFL contract. Or he can sit at home instead and just cry to twitter about how the world is against him. I really don't care either way, but it would do wonders for TV ratings for a startup league.

Sure. But he’s not gonna play for free. Vince is paying these scrubs peanuts.

Would he open the wallet and pay even an NFL vet minimum salary? I highly doubt it.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

The one thing I remember most about the first XFL was the opening kickoff of the first game. 2 dudes sprinting at each other to see who got the ball first. Seemed crazy insane. Not sure if anyone remembers but the XFL got a decent number the first week. Then plummeted after that.
    Some teams had cool uniforms and any XFL merchandise is usually collectible and brings good money on eBay, Craigslist, etc..,[quoted image]

Yeah the “opening scrum”

The very first game, a player ruptured his ACL on the opening scrum.

Man, bringing back the XFL
    Is such a terrible idea. It’s like putting on Fyre Festival 2020.

Just because everybody remembers something that failed horribly doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to try to do it again.

1 month later
    #99 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

TV ratings are heading down but attendance is heading up

Yes, they are dropping pretty bigly from week to week. The last XFL went tits up because NBC realized they could put literally anything on and get better ratings, so once they made that call it was over.

It's interesting that attendance is good, but I don't think that'll keep them in business. Lifeblood is TV money I'd think.

But unlike last time, when NBC owned half of the league. this is all VInce's money. I guess as long as he's willing to burn it the league will continue.

Go Defenders!

ratings down by about half since week 1
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/barryhorn/2020/02/26/xfl-tv-ratings-are-headed-in-the-wrong-direction-for-a-league-that-wants-to-hang-around/#1cf7d5ec2018

2 weeks later
    #135 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

The XFL canceled its regular season Thursday amid the spread of the coronavirus. Despite the cancellation, the league said all players will be paid their base pay and benefits for the regular season, while ticket holders will receive refunds or credit toward future games.
    "The XFL is committed to playing a full season in 2021 and future years," the league said in a statement.

Vince doing the right thing and paying em all!

Gotta be weird coming back to play half a season.

1 month later
    #143 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

That sucks. I hope someday they can bring it back.

I don't think 3rd time is a charm on this.

I would have to think after the predictable back to back failures of XFL and AAAF (or whatever the fuck it was) we've seen the last of shitty spring football for another 20 years.

#147 3 years ago

So they are playing baseball in Taiwan.

Anybody watching the games?

#156 3 years ago

XFL was cruising toward another one and done season; this is just a convenient excuse. The product on the field was poor and the ratings were dropping like a rock, just like XFL1 and the AAF before it.

We'll call it the "Deep Root Excuse."

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2020-xfl-will-you-watch?tu=CrazyLevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.