Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 163 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by djreddog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you plan to watch one or more XFL games?”

• No, only NFL for me 37 votes
      30%
    • No, only NFL and college games for me 17 votes
      14%
    • Yeah, I will give the XFL a look 70 votes
      56%

(124 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200229_150239 (resized).jpg
    XFL-SEA-Dragons1920x1080-Black-Edited-620x370 (resized).jpg
    DSCN6568 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6567 (resized).JPG
    xfl.png
    D40C3000-87CF-4F7C-99A5-86D9ECEC33AC (resized).jpeg
    Alliance_of_American_Football_logo (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    632D23AC-1DEE-4C7B-9EE0-9CF1F61CD529.gif
    xfl-hot-tub (resized).jpg
    There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 4 years ago

The next weekend after the Super Bowl the new XFL season starts. I looked at the schedule and it looks like I can watch most games without having to upgrade cable(which I will not for anything), so that is good.

The only thing I do not like so far is there are only 8 teams.

There is a lot to like though, like the fact they are going to try to speed the games up big time. only one foot in bounds needed for a catch, several options for extra points, and a new way to handle overtime games. And that is all I have read so far, I am sure there will be a lot more cool rules.

I really hope they do well and have quality players and quality games. I love football and wish it was on tv for more weeks a year.

#2 4 years ago

I will not watch. Hard to watch other leagues of football. And after the NFL season ends I feel like it's time to break away from football.

#3 4 years ago

The NFL could use competition and I like watching football. They should wait longer to start the season and feed off people feigning for the NFL to start.

#4 4 years ago

I thought the AFL was ok and genuinely entertaining. Wasn’t the quality of the NFL, but I wasn’t expecting it to be. I’ll watch the XFL with low expectations, plus there is a DC team so might be cool to have a rooting interest this time.

#5 4 years ago

Tampa Bay Vipers 4 Life!!!

#6 4 years ago

I will definitely watch it. I loved the old XFL. I can't put my finger on why I liked it. It was not great football, but for some reason it held my attention.

#7 4 years ago

No.

This will be tits up by this time next year, and that's probably being generous.

Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I really hope they do well and have quality players and quality games.

And I hope someone dumps $3 million in cash in my hallway while I'm at work. Sometimes hopes just ain't enough.

#8 4 years ago

Not a football fan (or a sports fan in general), and I’ve never watched a football game for more than, say, 10 consecutive minutes.

However, I have a Super Bowl party every year. Its a great excuse to drink, play pinball, and eat just a disgustingly excessive amount of fried chicken wings and spinach dip. Can’t wait!

#9 4 years ago

I'll TRY to give it a watch...but I didn't find the time to watch the AAFL and it went tits up pretty quick.

#10 4 years ago

Where's the poll choice for all football is lame as fuck and I'd rather get ass raped in prison then to watch any football ? I'd rather listen to that guys macho man podcast on loop...

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

Where's the poll choice for all football is lame as fuck and I'd rather get ass raped in prison then to watch any football ?

It's it defense you love a good ass raping. And can you really call it rape when you like it that much?

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It's it defense you love a good ass raping. And can you really call it rape when you like it that much?

I like ass gaping not raping,I'm always willing.

#13 4 years ago

Get a room, you two!

#14 4 years ago

He can't afford to take me on a real date

#15 4 years ago

Only if it is as entertaining as the last XFL.

xfl-hot-tub (resized).jpgxfl-hot-tub (resized).jpg
    #16 4 years ago

I've still got a Los Angeles Extreme T-shirt around here somewhere. lol.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No.
    This will be tits up by this time next year, and that's probably being generous.

And I hope someone dumps $3 million in cash in my hallway while I'm at work. Sometimes hopes just ain't enough.

I’m counting the bank bag as fast as I can! Relax!
    632D23AC-1DEE-4C7B-9EE0-9CF1F61CD529.gif632D23AC-1DEE-4C7B-9EE0-9CF1F61CD529.gif

#18 4 years ago

Pass for me.

It will depend on how much money Vince wants to burn. Ego might keep it alive past a year or two but I just don't see the demand to watch sub par football. It will only be a matter of time till people realize they have something better to do with their time.

Even with the screwy rules of the CFL it's a hard watch. The quality of athletes and competition is so far less it's not enjoyable at all to watch on TV. Can't remember the last time I even watched a Grey Cup let alone a regular season game.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Pass for me.
    It will depend on how much money Vince wants to burn. Ego might keep it alive past a year or two but I just don't see the demand to watch sub par football. It will only be a matter of time till people realize they have something better to do with their time.
    Even with the screwy rules of the CFL it's a hard watch. The quality of athletes and competition is so far less it's not enjoyable at all to watch on TV. Can't remember the last time I even watched a Grey Cup let alone a regular season game.

It's going to be an embarrassment just like last time. There simply aren't enough good players to go around and everybody is sick of football after the Super Bowl. The football will be terrible, the stadiums will be empty, and ratings will be shit. We just went through this last year with the..AAFI...FLAAI...AINFL...what the fuck was it called again?

I can't fathom why Vince is wasting his money on this. At least last time he had NBC to absorb the humiliation and financial loss with him, this time, it's entirely on his ass.

#20 4 years ago

I'm gonna try to watch. I like the new rules they are trying, should be interesting. I'm sure it will fail tho,, ,

#21 4 years ago

I'll tune in for the games that I can pick up with antenna (Fox and ABC). Bottom line is that I want to be entertained.

I watched a lot of the AAF games last year and I'd say half the games were garbage. People don't want to watch an 11-8 game where the punter is the star of the game.

I just don't see how the quality of play in the XFL is going to be a step up from the AAF. The AAF was frustrating at times to watch when the QB can't hit an open receiver or the receiver can't catch the ball with nobody covering him. I questioned how these skill position players even made it that far beyond the high school level.

Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

The only thing I do not like so far is there are only 8 teams.

Any more and you're going to dilute the talent pool.

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Even with the screwy rules of the CFL it's a hard watch.

I tried watching the CFL and I just can't get into it because of the rules. Only 3 downs is the biggest offender.

#22 4 years ago

Will they continue the 1 to 1 ratio of blimp crashes to XFL league launches is the real question I am concerned with.

#23 4 years ago

I didnt know anything about XFL until opening Pinside today. And I’m an NFL fan on social media, search engines etc... How do they communicate ?

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I didnt know anything about XFL until opening Pinside today. And I’m an NFL fan on social media, search engines etc... How do they communicate ?

We use a secret code language, kayfabe.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I'm pretty sure their entire online promotional plan is plugs by Odin.

#26 4 years ago

The real problem is there is no support out there for fantasy leagues yet for the XFL. Not a joke but at my location, we watch a good amount of pro-wrestling so we are planning to have some XFL watch parties and organize some pinball events to go with them. To us, it is all just entertainment and an excuse to hang out with some friends.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

we are planning to have some XFL watch parties and organize some pinball events to go with them. .

Pro tip: set these for EARLY in the XFL season so you can be sure they actually happen.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm pretty sure their entire online promotional plan is plugs by Odin.

Yeah man. I'm still spending the royalties I got from promoting these.

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #29 4 years ago

This is like the "Whiteclaw" version of football.

I don't see any men watching it

Oh wait...

#30 4 years ago

I will give this the same try that I gave the Alliance crap that went under.

Here is why Alliance went under... the football sucked. I watched a game and was stunned how bad it was. So I gave it a couple weeks, and then I watched a bit of another game, and it still sucked. I stopped there. I'd rather have watched a Bengals vs Browns game than that. I assume XFL will be the same, but I'll give it a try.

Alliance_of_American_Football_logo (resized).pngAlliance_of_American_Football_logo (resized).png

#31 4 years ago

no extra point kick attempts. extra points will be plays from the 3,5 and 10 yard lines.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I'd rather have watched a Bengals vs Browns game than that.

OK come on now let's relax with the hyperbole please.

Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

extra points will be plays from the 3,5 and 10 yard lines.

worth 1, 2, & 3 points!

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Here is why Alliance went under... the football sucked.

It went under because they didn't have any money. And the football sucked.

#34 4 years ago

I'll watch if its entertaining and has less commercial breaks than the NFL.. I can't stand how many commercials there are not to mention that the announcers have to talk about the upcoming garbage tv shows like little Sheldon.

#35 4 years ago

They are saying it will be fairly cheap to go see a game. A good alternative I guess if you have already decided you are not going to pay the outrageous prices at the new Rams stadium.

I probably won't be going to either.

Miss those $10 tickets when the NFL played at Anaheim Stadium.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

A good alternative I guess if you have already decided you are not going to pay the outrageous prices at the new Rams stadium.
    Miss those $10 tickets when the NFL played at Anaheim Stadium.

" Typically, Rams tickets can be found for as low as $28.00,"

Looking it up it def depends on the guest

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

" Typically, Rams tickets can be found for as low as $28.00,"

Where did you come up with that? Perhaps at the old place.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Where did you come up with that? Perhaps at the old place.

Seems liek this is stubhub and vivd (?)

https://blog.ticketiq.com/blog/rams-ticket-prices-trends-schedule

September 29 vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Secondary market average asking price: $165
    Secondary market cheapest ticket: $31

When the Rams and Buccaneers last met in 2016, Todd Gurley ran for 85 yards and two touchdowns, as the Rams won, 37-32, and extended their win streak over Tampa Bay to five games. The get-in price is tied for the lowest price for a Rams home game this regular season.

#39 4 years ago

Exactly. That's 2019. 2020 is a whole nuther story.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Oh wait...

Huh? Isn't the whole idea that this is "more extreme" football? Wouldn't it be like the Bacardi 151 or Knob Creek version of football in that case if we are using alcohol analogies? Are people still equating type of beverage consumption to manhood in 2020? I'm lost.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Are people still equating type of beverage consumption to manhood in 2020? I'm lost.

No, they are saying the NFL is too pussified.
    I mean some people are

Quoted from o-din:

Exactly. That's 2019. 2020 is a whole nuther story.

Yeah it's kind of hard to get secondary tickets before the season begins

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Oh wait...

isn't football already the whiteclaw version of football?

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah it's kind of hard to get secondary tickets before the season begins

It's a new $5 billion stadium. Face value will be substantially more than the antiquated LA Colliseum. Perhaps some will take a hit on their seats in the secondary market. There will be a lot of empty seats if you ask me.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

isn't football already the whiteclaw version of football?

Yeah I keep reading about how pussified it's become and back in the day when three players per game were decapitated it was better yadda yadda

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It's a new $5 billion stadium.

Ahhhh I gotcha the new one.
    Well don't worry, a quick look shows average attendance is under 26k so there's gonna be plenty of cheap ones for sure.
    Unless they cap the seats and tarp them like jaxonville.

#46 4 years ago

It'll probably be like Disneyland where it costs $50 just to park there. Unlike Anaheim, you won't want to go cheap and park on the side streets in Inglewood.

#47 4 years ago

Well I did watch the Idaho Potato bowl so sure I'll check it out.

#48 4 years ago

wow.

After a touchdown, the team has the option of running a play from the 2, 5, or 10-yard line, worth 1, 2, or 3 points respectively. The team must run an offensive play and no kicking plays are allowed

#49 4 years ago

It's gotta be more entertaining than NFL preseason.

#50 4 years ago

There's alot of bad talk about the AAF here, and while the comments about the poor game play are valid, that league was intended to be a testing ground for NFL rule changes & develop a minor league for upcoming NFL players.

The rules were unique though. No TV time outs & game in under 2.5 hours. Shorter play clock. No extra points, 2 point conversion mandatory. No kickoffs. Onside kicks replaced by a 4th & 12 play from your own 28 yard line. The biggest thing was that all players & the football had microchips with real-time tracking technology. That app could eventually allow the potential for real time sports betting for every play or series, but the league could never get it to work right. Sports Illustrated said the league was eventually purchased & immediately shut down, just to obtain the rights to that technology.

It's heart was in the right place though. It had the support of the NFL (former executives in charge, former NFL coaches, use of NFL practice squad players, games on CBS/TNT/NFL Network, etc). It just didn't have the financial backing of the NFL. When the league really started hemorrhaging cash, they pulled the plug fast. Can't really blame them.

The reason leagues like the USFL worked in the mid-80s was because they had deep pockets, had teams in big markets & signed the top players out of college (like Hershel Walker, Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Doug Flutie, etc), which gave the league immediate legitimacy & sparked interest. The games were fun & exciting. They had a good thing going & showed that a spring football league could be successful. But when they decided to compete directly against the NFL & play games their games in the fall, everything collapsed. It was a different time.

When your star players are NFL 3rd stringers & practice squad guys, a new league is never going to be successful. Too many other entertainment choices for people today than to sit there & watch bad football. XFL is going to suffer the same fate. If they were smart, they would sign Antonio Brown ASAP and make him the showcase of the league. Let him put up 2000 yards receiving & 20+ TDs. People would tune in to see that shitshow, that's for sure.

There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2020-xfl-will-you-watch/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.