Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by LukyDuck
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should we do this next year?”

• Yes 83 votes
      90%
    • No 9 votes
      10%

(92 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture Rankings (resized).JPG
    Re-Rankings by Voting.JPG
    Pinball Records vs. Manufacturer.JPG
    Record by Era.JPG
    NonCannibalism Record by Manufacturer.JPG
    Record by Company.JPG
    Vote Stats.JPG
    Sweet Sixteen Bracket.JPG
    BracketBottom.JPG
    BracketTop.JPG
    Round 6 Results.JPG
    Round 5 Results.JPG
    Round 4 Results.JPG
    Round 3 Results.JPG
    Round 2 Results.JPG
    Round 1 Results.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reaper802.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 3 years ago

I would really like to see Pinside add an Elo Rating system to go along with the Top 100 list.

It would not take much effort to implement an Elo voting page. A year worth of that data would make for much improved seeding to start another fan vote in 2021.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

I still think that the bracket mechanism is flawed because the seeding so drastically affects the outcome. A machine that happened to get seeded against AFM or LOTR early on gets kicked out much earlier than it might have otherwise.
    I was thinking it would be interesting to have people list their top 20 machines (in order) and then get a ranking/result from compiling that. I realize that there probably isn't an automated way of collecting that data - it would have to be compiled manually (instead of using the "poll" function).
    The real problem with the Top 100 list is that people don't rate stuff relatively (or consistently). They get a new machine and rate it a "10", even though they don't think it's as good as some other machine they have (which they probably gave a "10" to also).

This is the problem an Elo Rating System solves. Every game gets tested vs every other game over time. It eliminates bias and attempts to tank certain games.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yes, but it takes a very long time before you have enough samples of every machine vs. every other machine to get useful results. And for every "useful" test (like AFM vs MM), there would be a hundred useless tests (like AFM vs. Bugs Bunny Birthday).

That's why I would suggest starting with say the top 50 right now. Even then it doesn't take long to look at two games and click on the one you think is better. How many members does Pinside have? I think the data would add up very quickly.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reaper802.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2020-recap-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition?tu=Reaper802 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.