(Topic ID: 242363)

2020 Ann Arbor Michigan VFW pinball show

By cfh

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

71JoiFDLnRL (resized).jpg
    20200920_094638.jpg
    20200920_094638.jpg
    20200919_161025 (resized).jpg
    20200919_161014 (resized).jpg
    20200919_161001 (resized).jpg
    20200919_150238 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pinball safe (resized).jpg
    700F63FD-6CD9-4CAC-9360-8970A1F4C9DE (resized).jpeg
    VFW Showcase Shirts 2020 Overall (resized).jpg
    VFW Club Shirts 2020 Overall (resized).jpg
    200 (resized).png
    vfw back (resized).jpg
    jarmask (resized).png
    There are 583 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 12.
    #301 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Well that's the problem... we did prizes as a tournament. at the time, (like the Sky Kings Howie posted above), you had to buy a tourney entry, which i think was $10. if we got 30 people, that basically meant we sold the game for $300. And at the time (years ago), it was hard to get $300 for a sky king! so it worked out Ok... providing you wanted a sky king! I remember doing this and the guy didn't want the game, he wanted the money! well we were trying to get rid of EMs (again, probably 10 years ago when $300 EMs were hard to sell!)
    i know things are different now... it might work... but i'm not sure it's worth the effort.
    We are dying here though. i can't do in-home repairs, so that business is dead. if we can't do the show... then we are really screwed...

I enjoyed those raffles back at the old place. Ended up donating that Bally Freedom I won to the kids tourney at the show formerly know as the MPE.

I would buy raffle tickets if you went that route.

#302 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Do those prices include shipping,
    or only available upon pick up by show attendees?.

Given that we've got a lot of lead time this year (shirts will take + 3~4 weeks after we can all get back to work), I can ship shirts off to anyone who would like to order one (or many!). I'd just ask that you cover shipping costs.

Please understand that I can't provide shipping quotes until we have shirts in hand, so I appreciate your patience.

Thanks,
    Eric V.

#303 4 years ago

Have a second prize like a translight or something else easy to ship.
    You can opt for in ticket purchase comment.
    Then its easy to just redraw.

At least a draw you would have $ coming in if things get fubar.
    Have lots of time to find and fix something.

Even a draw for a private event/prize option.
    You and up to X buddies.

2 weeks later
    #304 4 years ago

Well boys. I should be tailgating at this time today but since we can’t be together playing and drinking, we can be there in spirit. Let’s have some fun today guys!!!

700F63FD-6CD9-4CAC-9360-8970A1F4C9DE (resized).jpeg700F63FD-6CD9-4CAC-9360-8970A1F4C9DE (resized).jpeg
    #305 4 years ago

To all you saturday ticket holders: wish i was there right now with you!

#306 4 years ago

This weekend was my wife’s Christmas gift; The Last Ship with Sting in Detroit and the VFW on Sunday. Definitely bummed to be missing out on both

#307 4 years ago

Seeing how I havent been able to stand up longer than about 3 minutes at a time for 3 weeks now I'm not so sad with the rescheduling

#308 4 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

Seeing how I havent been able to stand up longer than about 3 minutes at a time for 3 weeks now I'm not so sad with the rescheduling

Hopefully that is from drinking and smoking and not the virus.
    Get well soon.

#309 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Hopefully that is from drinking and smoking and not the virus.
    Get well soon.

I'm safe from the virus but not from multiple back issues.smoking and drinking are not helping but I'm doing it in excess anyway.

#310 3 years ago

trying to come up with other ideas...

depending on what happens with the governor and president, we might try a 100 person show for 4 times through out the summer. Why? because i am afraid there will be a second wave, and it will hit in september. this would cancel the (already postponed) show. If we have low times during the summer, might have to go with this technique. try and get 3 shows with 100 people, and then still have the September show. It's an idea any who...

there would be some stipulations... must wear a face mask. don't play a game right next to someone else playing a game. stuff like that. but with 100 people across multiple buildings, that would probably be OK.

#311 3 years ago

End of the day for me will be my employers policy on travel out of the country.
    I may have to put the yearly December in Jamaica off this year. Especially if I have to quarantaine upon return.

#312 3 years ago

Hazmat suit safe ???

pinball safe (resized).jpgpinball safe (resized).jpg
    #313 3 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

Hazmat suit safe ???[quoted image]

$70 IFPA fee per event / player to cover that.

#314 3 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

$70 IFPA fee per event / player to cover that.

It's just seventy dollars.....

1 month later
    #315 3 years ago

Any update on likely-hood of mini shows going on this summer or postponed full show in fall?
    Is MI gov likely to loosen things up soon?
    Or will you either need to pack your guns to storm the capitol
    or waders to pass thru the floods to get to the clubhouse
    or will the only way to attend, with limited social distancing rules,
    be to carry a placard or sign with some slogan
    to disguise the pinball gathering as a protest march???

Real reason for questions, is to ask again about 2020 commemorative T-shirts timing/availablility..

#316 3 years ago

Right now we can't legally do anything. i think at the end of the month things will change, but nothing has been announced by the state. we are getting ready for potential 100 people shows during the summer. but it has to be legal by the state.

#317 3 years ago

Man I'm chompin at the bit to get to a pinball show,...ESP this one!
    I'll buy multiple tickets and may not even go in lol. That was one if the best tail gate parties of 2019 fer sure!

#318 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Man I'm chompin at the bit to get to a pinball show,...ESP this one!
    I'll buy multiple tickets and may not even go in lol. That was one if the best tail gate parties of 2019 fer sure!

This year was going to be better too

#319 3 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

This year was going to be better too

hell yeah it was!!! Should have been epic!!!

#320 3 years ago

Posting here to keep a close watch on what happens! Pintastic is great where I am from, but flights from Boston to Detroit are so cheap that I'll almost positively be sure to come out to the next one.

Been seeing a lot of shows just outright cancel until next year which I think is a good idea given that second wave. Been really dying to play the collection at the VFW and meeting a bunch of you would be a plus too.

Cheers everybody.

3 weeks later
    #321 3 years ago

Is the air getting any clearer in MI ???

I could still go for some sort of draw or raffle if the show is a no go.

I have bought a few of the charity pin tickets. Your the best selection of games around, just ask.

#322 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Is the air getting any clearer in MI ???
    I could still go for some sort of draw or raffle if the show is a no go.
    I have bought a few of the charity pin tickets. Your the best selection of games around, just ask.

It’s a moot point while to border stays shut

#323 3 years ago

Somehow those illegal farm workers made it in.
    There's a tunnel around here somewhere.

#324 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Somehow those illegal farm workers made it in.
    There's a tunnel around here somewhere.

This post made me both laugh and sigh at the same time.

Ugh

#325 3 years ago

Things are not looking good. Though michigan isn't bad, like 50% or more of the country really swings up on virus. I was hoping to do a 100 person mini show weekends during July/August. But it's really looking like that is not possible. It's pretty depressing. I'm even thinking the September show date won't work if things don't get better. This whole year may be a wash... I can hope for a Thanksgiving mini show, but that will probably be worse not better.

#326 3 years ago

Is what it is clay. No one could have predicted this and all we can do is be patient and wait it out.

#327 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Things are not looking good. Though michigan isn't bad, like 50% or more of the country really swings up on virus. I was hoping to do a 100 person mini show weekends during July/August. But it's really looking like that is not possible. It's pretty depressing. I'm even thinking the September show date won't work if things don't get better. This whole year may be a wash... I can hope for a Thanksgiving mini show, but that will probably be worse not better.

I'd do a Thanksgiving mini show - just a regular weekend for me

#328 3 years ago

Can i just show up whenever and tailgate?

3 weeks later
    #329 3 years ago

Bump! Can't wait to check it out for my first time, whenever that may be!

1 week later
    #330 3 years ago

Currently looking like those of us North of the border are not coming to visit any time soon.

Next year for sure(?),
    Still would love to buy a tix on a fundraiser.

#331 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Currently looking like those of us North of the border are not coming to visit any time soon.

You could probably sneak into the USA, no problem.
    Thousands do it all the time on the southern border,
    but you just probably would not be able to go back home.

#332 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

You could probably sneak into the USA, no problem.
    Thousands do it all the time on the southern border,
    but you just probably would not be able to go back home.

Repatriation is active

#333 3 years ago

How about 1 person/ family per day? It would give everybody some 1 on 1 time with Clay and if he books 7 days a week including holidays he could get everyone in within a year. Plus it would give amkoepfer and Bax1 365 opportunities to tailgate.

#334 3 years ago

we were thinking of 'pod' days. that is, a group of 10 people for an evening. it would be time consuming for us (as Puff said), but unless things get better, it may be the only option. the good news is we could run it all fall and winter. but hours would be condensed. probably 8pm to 11pm or something. just an idea...

#335 3 years ago

I know you guys run the shows to pay the bills.
    If things get tight, don't be afraid to ask for donations.
    Just guessing that lots of us would be happy to help.

#336 3 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

How about 1 person/ family per day? It would give everybody some 1 on 1 time with Clay and if he books 7 days a week including holidays he could get everyone in within a year. Plus it would give amkoepfer and Bax1 365 opportunities to tailgate.

From 8-11 means tailgating would have to start at 5!

#337 3 years ago

I think a selfie with Clay and one of his minions dressed in the current holiday attire would sweeten the deal

2 weeks later
    #338 3 years ago

4 weeks out.
    Still not looking like a go for us Canucks.

Still in for a draw or other fundraiser, need you open for the future.

I could sure use another Alien Poker after letting mine go to fund NIB. (hint, nudge)

#339 3 years ago

we are going to have a 'canada night' for all the canadians after the border opens up. depending on how many of you, it would most likely be a private event.

#340 3 years ago

Nice,
    2-4s, canadian bacon, maple syrup.
    I will get my dress toque ready.

#341 3 years ago

Up here in canada, we just call it bacon ehh buddy! Bring the poutine after i change my pinside location to canada!

#342 3 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Up here in canada, we just call it bacon ehh buddy! Bring the poutine after i change my pinside location to canada!

Correction. Canadian bacon=ham slices! Know other cultures!!!

#343 3 years ago

Yeah, peameal is the true canadian bacon.

#344 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

we are going to have a 'canada night' for all the canadians after the border opens up. depending on how many of you, it would most likely be a private event.

Interesting....

#345 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Nice,
    2-4s, canadian bacon, maple syrup.
    I will get my dress toque ready.

Don't forget your Canadian tuxedo...

Denim on the bottom matched with denim up top

#346 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Nice! I'm in!

#347 3 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Don't forget your Canadian tuxedo...
    Denim on the bottom matched with denim up top

Your entrance fee will include a bottle of Sortilege...

Later,
    EV

#348 3 years ago

Damn, and here I was hoarding Chalet sauce.

#349 3 years ago

So the plan is still September 19 and 20th then full days as posted on the website?

#350 3 years ago

Tonight we're coming up with a workable solution, as it's strategy night. Bottom line is 19/20 is still on. But we're breaking the show into smaller pieces, pretty much for a month. at least that is the idea. We have to do this to get crowd sizes way way down.

There are 583 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2020-ann-arbor-michigan-vfw-pinball-show/page/7?hl=wanimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.