(Topic ID: 242363)

2020 Ann Arbor Michigan VFW pinball show

By cfh

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

71JoiFDLnRL (resized).jpg
    20200920_094638.jpg
    20200920_094638.jpg
    20200919_161025 (resized).jpg
    20200919_161014 (resized).jpg
    20200919_161001 (resized).jpg
    20200919_150238 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pinball safe (resized).jpg
    700F63FD-6CD9-4CAC-9360-8970A1F4C9DE (resized).jpeg
    VFW Showcase Shirts 2020 Overall (resized).jpg
    VFW Club Shirts 2020 Overall (resized).jpg
    200 (resized).png
    vfw back (resized).jpg
    jarmask (resized).png
    There are 583 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 12.
    #251 4 years ago

Thanks for being flexible, Clay. This sounds like an optimal solution, everyone gets a choice.

#252 4 years ago

Best of both worlds, works for all ticket holders, hopefully this wont be too big of a strain on the staff

#253 4 years ago

The summer option (Friday/Saturday during July/August, virus dependent) will be *way* different than the usual show event. How it works...

50 guests maximum per night for 4 hours.
    There's no orange shirts for this event.
    There's no food staff (hot dogs at bar).
    There's no bathroom staff.
    There's no parking staff.
    There's no techs.
    There's no front door staff (and no money exchanged).

Basically everyone checks-in electronically.
    First they sign up electronically via a web page for a date.
    Then pay their remaining money due via paypal.
    An armband WITH THEIR NAME will be where they can pick it up and put it on themselves.
    They also get a card with my phone number for text messages regarding game issues.

Basically we won't fix broken games. We will probably do stuck balls and add credits, simple quick stuff. But we are limiting our interaction with the public at the summer nights. You are pretty much on you own and can do the social distancing thing as you feel (or don't feel.) With only 50 people in a 10,000 sqft facility, you should be spaced out pretty well.

The actual fall event (again virus dependent) will be our standard show type environment.

#254 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Well I just sent $50 to Clay via paypal, no strings attached as a donation,
    to his [email protected] address, to help fund the cause, hopefully email address is still active.
    Whenever the 2020 VFW showcase T-Shirts for sale happens
    be it a normal show shirt or commemorative shirt;
    just announce the details and I will sign up and pay for one.

This was awesome of you. I will follow suit.
    You EM guys are a classy bunch, seriously. That's why I still can't wrap my head around that trophy story. HAHA!
    Classy but also VERY competitive I guess?

#255 4 years ago

I’m good with whatever is decided including considering my partial payment as a donation.

#256 4 years ago

I refunded Tom's donation.
    if you guys *really* want to donate the proper email is [email protected] (the other email is my personal email, not appropriate for this.) But right now, you don't need to do this. Now if we have NO show, ok fine. but right now we are planning on a show!

#257 4 years ago

I'd still love to see a pin raffle

#258 4 years ago

This would be my first show to attend and very excited for a few months now. Looking forward to any chance we can get in there with the safety of all involved.

#259 4 years ago

Thinking about adding a ring system to the front door. That way I can buzz each person in Remotely.

#260 4 years ago

As someone who happily flies in every year from out of state to attend the best pinball show of the year, I really appreciate you still giving the option of a full weekend in the fall, Clay. It makes the airfare and hotel worth it. And I know this requires even more work on the part of you and your team so I doubly appreciate it. Thanks so much Clay! Our community is lucky to have you.

#261 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I refunded Tom's donation.
    if you guys *really* want to donate the proper email is [email protected]

Sorry for the confusion and hassle of sending it to wrong paypal acct email address,
    I should have known better and searched for the vfwpinball email address first.
    Hope all works out in the end for everyone, organizers and participants.

#262 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

With only 50 people in a 10,000 sqft facility, you should be spaced out pretty well.

That's probably better density control than a typical trip to supermarket.

#263 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

It's becoming pretty clear the April 25/26 date is not going to work.
    The May 16/17 date may work, but came up with another idea...
    What if we break the show into smaller pieces during the summer? that is, have a friday and/or saturday night of 50 or 75 people. It would run from 8pm to midnight. That's about half the time of a normal show day, but you would have the whole facility essentially to yourself (with only 50 or 75 people.) The cost would be the same price.
    we could run these through the summer and chip away at all the ticket reservations that were purchased.
    what do y'all think of this idea?

I really like the sound of this idea, it means a nights stay for me but I think it's worth it to get such great access!

I jumped the gun on my reply as I read through the rest of the thread... I will fall in line with whatever is proposed... if they let us Canadians into the US any time this year and things are cooling down with the virus I'll be there... if things don't cool down or the show is cancelled please just keep the deposit I've paid for the tickets, happy to donate that money too. Whatever works.

#264 4 years ago

Still hoping for some t shirt options...

Scariest part right now is the Canadian dollar sinking down the toilet.

#265 4 years ago

No one would have expected this I am sure. I am cool with whatever limited show hours are during the summer since I am local.

The amount of crop dusting at a pinball show alone should be enough to kill COVID 19 anyways.

#266 4 years ago

Watching for developments.
    Looking for two tickets...

#267 4 years ago

I’m in for any of Clay’s ideas. I would probably choose the summer weekend option first, over the full fall event. I’d be in for a the shirt or the raffle too. Thanks Clay for trying to keep this afloat. I’m sure you’ll have a long line of people willing to donate this year if all the shows get cancelled due to the virus. Sometimes people have to the right thing to support something this special.

#268 4 years ago
    Quoted from ss-pinball:

Watching for developments.
    Looking for two tickets...

I kinda wondered with multiple 4-hour nights over the summer, should there be a fall show would there be additional tickets up for sale since some will not wait that long to go?

#269 4 years ago

We will just have to see how things are in July/August first. And then how popular the whole 50 people a night thing really is. My guess is that it won't be that popular, and probably won't run (the potential) 8 weekends.

Also thinking about either selling these or giving one of these to every entry. Have to see if i can find them at a reasonable price....

mask (resized).jpgmask (resized).jpg

#270 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

We will just have to see how things are in July/August first. And then how popular the whole 50 people a night thing really is. My guess is that it won't be that popular, and probably won't run (the potential) 8 weekends.
    Also thinking about either selling these or giving one of these to every entry. Have to see if i can find them at a reasonable price....
    [quoted image]

the mask or hat ???

#271 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I've been using a gray one, nice and thin, but it would be effing hot & musty to wear in July/Aug/Sept. I mean, they're sold as neck warmers. Maybe by then good ol' cheap N95 masks will be readily available.

#272 4 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

the mask or hat ???

The hat. If the barber shops don't open soon, we will all be looking like Joe Exotic.

#273 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

[quoted image]

I’m willing to be corrected, but my understanding is that:
    Simple cloth face masks are *somewhat* effective in preventing your -19 virus from being projected out into the environment.
    Simple cloth face masks are less effective for your personal protection from -19 in the environment.

#274 4 years ago

On the other hand...it is a good look.

#275 4 years ago

I mean...with out the glasses and eyes behind them.

#276 4 years ago

I need a hat to complete my outfit

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #277 4 years ago

The hats have been available for sale at the last show. They did not sell. We probably won’t sell them again.

#278 4 years ago

Waiting to see Puffdannys results from all the Presidents drug recommends..........

#279 4 years ago

Paging Dr Puff

#280 4 years ago

Totally missed those hats at the last show...if they're available this year, I would certainly buy one

#281 4 years ago
    Quoted from Skipnatty:

Totally missed those hats at the last show...if they're available this year, I would certainly buy one

+1, didn't see them there.

#282 4 years ago

Puff puff dont pass

#283 4 years ago

Part of the problem with the hats as they were a little pricey. After the logo work was done we were selling them for $20.

#284 4 years ago

We had them a year or two ago up at the front desk. Only sold maybe 6~10 of them.
    Given the piece cost to price ratio, it really didn't make sense for the amount of effort to get them made...

Just FYI, quote should be coming in for this year's T-shirts today, so I will have details up soon.

Thanks,
    Eric V.

#285 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

[quoted image]

I figured you'd be going for something more like this to be honest.

jarmask (resized).pngjarmask (resized).png

#286 4 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

We had them a year or two ago up at the front desk. Only sold maybe 6~10 of them.
    Given the piece cost to price ratio, it really didn't make sense for the amount of effort to get them made...

Just FYI, quote should be coming in for this year's T-shirts today, so I will have details up soon.

Thanks,
    Eric V.

When the show T-Shirt details get sorted out,
    if there are any (old show) hats left,
    I would like to order one of those also, if possible.

cheers Tom

#287 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

When the show T-Shirt details get sorted out,
    if there are any (old show) hats left,
    I would like to order one of those also, if possible.
    cheers Tom

Tom, 1 large t-shirt bought for my wife, never worn. back side shown

vfw back (resized).jpgvfw back (resized).jpg
    #288 4 years ago

At least we haven't closed the door on a raffle yet.
    Fingers crossed.

I can always find room for another...

#289 4 years ago

I've done raffles and game prizes before (for tournaments). Frankly it just does not work. Most of the time (all of the time?), the winner doesn't like the game being offered, and ask for cash instead. It's just a bad idea unless you are doing a high end game like a new stern.

#290 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I've done raffles and game prizes before (for tournaments). Frankly it just does not work. Most of the time (all of the time?), the winner doesn't like the game being offered, and ask for cash instead. It's just a bad idea unless you are doing a high end game like a new stern.

Well, if the winner doesn't want the prize.... Redraw.

Sore winners ain't got no place in my heart.

Why even enter a raffle for prizes you don't want?

#291 4 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Well, if the winner doesn't want the prize.... Redraw.
    Sore winners ain't got no place in my heart.
    Why even enter a raffle for prizes you don't want?

for some it's an tax issue

#292 4 years ago

I won a Sky Kings a few years back and was appreciative and enjoyed the game for quite a while and took it to shows.

#293 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

for some it's an tax issue

See the last part I wrote.

If winning is a problem, don't enter.

#294 4 years ago

Well that's the problem... we did prizes as a tournament. at the time, (like the Sky Kings Howie posted above), you had to buy a tourney entry, which i think was $10. if we got 30 people, that basically meant we sold the game for $300. And at the time (years ago), it was hard to get $300 for a sky king! so it worked out Ok... providing you wanted a sky king! I remember doing this and the guy didn't want the game, he wanted the money! well we were trying to get rid of EMs (again, probably 10 years ago when $300 EMs were hard to sell!)

i know things are different now... it might work... but i'm not sure it's worth the effort.

We are dying here though. i can't do in-home repairs, so that business is dead. if we can't do the show... then we are really screwed...

#295 4 years ago

I'm sure the community would be here for you to pull through clay. if the show doesn't happen, we will hold a save the VFW drive.

#296 4 years ago
    200 (resized).png200 (resized).png
    #297 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Well that's the problem... we did prizes as a tournament. at the time, (like the Sky Kings Howie posted above), you had to buy a tourney entry, which i think was $10. if we got 30 people, that basically meant we sold the game for $300. And at the time (years ago), it was hard to get $300 for a sky king! so it worked out Ok... providing you wanted a sky king! I remember doing this and the guy didn't want the game, he wanted the money! well we were trying to get rid of EMs (again, probably 10 years ago when $300 EMs were hard to sell!)
    i know things are different now... it might work... but i'm not sure it's worth the effort.
    We are dying here though. i can't do in-home repairs, so that business is dead. if we can't do the show... then we are really screwed...

Makes sense, but also still a sore winner.

If you wanted to do something like this now, just name the game and the ticket price. Winner takes it or passes it along to the next raffle draw.

Make different prize levels as well if you want. You can base prize lots on entry sales.

For example,

$10 per entry.

30 entries sold - draw a couple names for free VFW show entries to use at a future show

50 entries sold - draw 5 winners for a shirt or mug or hat or whatever VFW swag you may have

75 entries sold - raffle off a playfield or backglass if you have something in storage that could be sought after

100 entries sold - a big single draw for an EM machine you have pre selected

Maybe go with different levels, or different prizes, but I think scaling the entry points may get more people interested, and possibly do it for all of pinside rather than just this thread. You may see hundreds of entries sold.

I have other ideas, but thought this might be an interesting way to play it.

Also. One big rule.

If your name is drawn and you do not want the prize at that level, it goes back in the prize pool for another name to be drawn against it. (ie. I win a free entry to VFW showcase but I live too far, pass)

And lastly, you can decide if you want names to be able to be drawn more than once (ie. I won a free shirt, but I'd still like a chance to win the machine draw, do I need a new entry or is my entry still valid for every level)

Food for thought.

#298 4 years ago

OK folks, T-shirt designs and pre-orders are now live;

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vfw-2020-showcase-official-t-shirts-now-available-for-pre-order

Thanks,
    Eric V.

VFW Showcase Shirts 2020 Overall (resized).jpgVFW Showcase Shirts 2020 Overall (resized).jpgVFW Club Shirts 2020 Overall (resized).jpgVFW Club Shirts 2020 Overall (resized).jpg

#299 4 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

Do those prices include shipping,
    or only available upon pick up by show attendees?.

#300 4 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vfw-2020-showcase-official-t-shirts-now-available-for-pre-order
    Thanks[quoted image][quoted image]

These are awesome!

Already pm'd

There are 583 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2020-ann-arbor-michigan-vfw-pinball-show/page/6?hl=skipnatty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.