(Topic ID: 242363)

2020 Ann Arbor Michigan VFW pinball show

By cfh

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

71JoiFDLnRL (resized).jpg
    20200920_094638.jpg
    20200920_094638.jpg
    20200919_161025 (resized).jpg
    20200919_161014 (resized).jpg
    20200919_161001 (resized).jpg
    20200919_150238 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pinball safe (resized).jpg
    700F63FD-6CD9-4CAC-9360-8970A1F4C9DE (resized).jpeg
    VFW Showcase Shirts 2020 Overall (resized).jpg
    VFW Club Shirts 2020 Overall (resized).jpg
    200 (resized).png
    vfw back (resized).jpg
    jarmask (resized).png
    There are 583 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

What REALLY cracks me up is that that was an EM tourney?!?!

Those old fuckers take their old-timey pinball seriously.

I want to know how they managed to throw the trophy a whole 10 feet without blowing out both their elbow and back.

#102 4 years ago

I was there. The story is different from different perspectives.

The rule that was won was a side rule for a 21 run in a poker style tourney. It was written poorly and stated the tournament is won if anyone got it.

When this happened somewhat earlier than expected, a prize was offered (gift card) allowing the tournament to continue and a winning poker hand to win the trophy.

This didn't bode well, and the insults (and trophy) started to fly.

#103 4 years ago

Sorry, I miss-remembered who threw what at whom.
    It was fun and entertaining none the less and no one was hurt, except for some pride and a trophy.

#104 4 years ago

It was a poorly written rule but the winner won fair and square and was entitled to his prize imo.

#105 4 years ago

Seriously... funny shit. It's a damn EM tourney for fun. No cash, no points, just shits and giggles. Boys and their toys.

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

What REALLY cracks me up is that that was an EM tourney?!?!

Don’t FUCK with EM players.

#107 4 years ago

Shouldn't DON'T have been capitalized? Either way...OKAY.

#108 4 years ago

There was a whole lot of butt hurt going on that night. I was working in the main building, cleaning up and fixing games for the next day (the tourney was in the two out buildings.) I came out about 10pm and saw a guy i knew was doing well in the tourney, and he was leaving. (Tourney started at 8pm and was supposed to last to midnight at minimum). I asked, and he stated he had won, by the rules (the "21" rule), and he was leaving. He was upset, as were some other people that felt he did indeed win, by the stated rules.

I talked to the secondary tourney director, and he agree, the guy did in fact win. But the head director, the guy that designed the rules, was having no part of it. Our solution was to award the 1st place to the "21" winner (as the rules stated), and then continue the tourney for second place. It seemed like an excellent compromise, and would keep everyone playing until at least midnight. (By the stated rules, if anyone "won", the tourney was over.)

I insisted we make the compromise, and award the 1st place trophy right then and there. And then we could continue with a 2nd place winner (and since the "21" option was done, the tourney would go the full length.) That's when all hell broke loose. I still have the video on my phone of the trophy hurling through the air, and breaking into many pieces... and Bob pickup the pieces... And the "mike fight" and near punches... and the Eminem-like rap war of words...

as a side note, these two guys were having a facebook war over the last month too... so they were already at odd with each other, before this all happened.

And this boy and girls is why we WELD our trophies together now... and why i'm always at odds as to having a tournament or not...

#109 4 years ago

The part that upset me the most was being there for the award ceremony. when they made the announcement that the guy won, He literally came running up in this trot with this big smile on his face, like “I won I won”. Then the tournament director said, “thanks for ruining the Tourney for everybody you asshole, here’s your fu*king trophy”, as he hurled it through the air. I’ll never forget watching that and seeing the trophy going in, What seemed like, slow motion in this arc through the air, and then hitting the ground, and exploding into many pieces. And then the verbal abuse these two guys gave each other over the PA system, as they fought over the mike, which at the time, made me cringe. And frankly it takes a lot to make me cringe...

#110 4 years ago

If anybody beats me on Target Alpha JUST LET US FIGHT.

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

If anybody beats me on Target Alpha JUST LET US FIGHT.

It could be the start of a pinball fight club!

#112 4 years ago

It clearly was a simmering issue with the two guys. I've been in three or four of the EM tournaments and, frankly, people have always been very cordial. Most of the folks playing have a pretty good idea of who the winners are most likely going to be before the first ball is played. One of the things I loved most about the early tournaments was that when you were out, your consolation prize was that you got to go inside and play the rest of the the VFW collection pretty much by yourself. If you asked me what I would prefer - first place trophy or getting the early play - I'm not sure I wouldn't tell you I'd prefer the early play on the rest of the games.

I hope there is another tourney this year. Bums me out I missed last year because it fell on my son's UM graduation.

#113 4 years ago

Any chance I may see one of the 1up pins?
    That's something I want to try first.
    I remember a virtual pin a few years back.

#114 4 years ago

All dressed and ready for the show

FB_IMG_1579364112154 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1579364112154 (resized).jpg
    #115 4 years ago

PuffDanny, looks like you lost some weight. Looking good!

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

PuffDanny, looks like you lost some weight. Looking good!

Lol like a few hundred pounds

#117 4 years ago

The last time your waist was that small, was probably when you were 9 months old.

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

Lol like a few hundred pounds

Stopped drinking Dragons milk?

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from Asylum:

If you're talking beer then that would be a hard no. Little known Puff Danny fact-I have never drunk a beer in my entire life.I tasted a sip twice in my life and both times I threw up from the awful taste and will never try it again.

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

I have never drunk a beer in my entire life

Shit bro... my bad. I thought you were part of the tail gate crew at VFW last year. Anyway, thanks for showing us the ULTIMATE anti-crop dusting suit to wear for the show! Good stuff!

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from Asylum:

Shit bro... my bad. I thought you were part of the tail gate crew at VFW last year. Anyway, thanks for showing us the ULTIMATE anti-crop dusting suit to wear for the show! Good stuff!

I stop over to harass them guys on my way to get my weed from my car

#122 4 years ago

I can vouch. Puff stops by but doesnt drink

#123 4 years ago

I stopped by the tailgate, didn't drink, got razzed, ran off like a scared Canadian

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

I stopped by the tailgate, didn't drink, got razzed, ran off like a scared Canadian

I still say you could have fit that mini baseball! This year i got a beer with your name on it

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

I still say you could have fit that mini baseball! This year i got a beer with your name on it

Appreciated, but I don't drink. I'll def chat though

And as for fitting.... You crazy.

#126 4 years ago
    Quoted from Asylum:

that was me

#127 4 years ago

Don't want to be a broken record... but if you want to come to the show, Sunday tickets are starting to get thin on numbers. Don't wait too long...

#128 4 years ago

I’m in for Sunday, Clay. This is my 3rd show. For anyone on the fence about attending, don’t hesitate. It’s a great all around casual atmosphere of nice people and well cared for games....like going to a friends house for a cookout and pinball fun.

#129 4 years ago

Does anybody have two tickets for Saturday that they need to sell?

#130 4 years ago

There are less than 15 tickets available for Sunday (saturday is sold out.) Tournament details (saturday night) coming soon. We are not advertising the show... but i don't know how long about 15 tickets are going to last. if you want to go, get on it very soon!

#131 4 years ago

The 2020 Ann Arbor Pinball show at the VFW facility is SOLD OUT. that is a record, took a month. Maybe next year we won't put tickets on sale until March 1st (in the past it has been January 1st.)

The only option left is the Saturday night tourney. You don't need a show ticket to play in the tourney (which is unusual for a show.) That is, the tourney stands by itself, and does not run at the same time as the show itself. So the show and the tourney do not conflict with each other (perhaps besides they are on the same weekend.) The tourney will give you access to about half of the games at the facility though. But it's far less people per game ratio, which is really nice. None of this 5 people in line to play a game crap, like you see at other shows. In fact it will probably be less than 1 to 1 ratio. More like 1 person to 2 games (probably).

Details and tickets for the tourney will follow in the next few weeks...

#132 4 years ago

Whew....got my 2 tickets for Sunday Friday! Looking forward to show....Will be me and my GFs 4th year in a row.

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymag8:

Whew....got my 2 tickets for Sunday Friday! Looking forward to show....Will be me and my GFs 4th year in a row.

Would be a good place to propose if you are both into pinball.

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

With Clay presiding? LOL, total buzzkill.

#135 4 years ago

Clay, could you let me know if you have a reservation for Tom Binasio for Saturday? He doesn't think he got a confirmation, but he is technically challenged sometimes . If not, I will be looking for a single for Saturday... don't want to double book, so could you please let me know?

Mac

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Quoted from MrBally:

With Clay presiding? LOL, total buzzkill.

LMAO - normally I would show her the funny/great posts on here - in this case I may be draining my 1st 2 posts on Pinside just to be on the safe side that she does not see them and get any ideas

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

If she can handle the vile shit we will be yelling at you 2 I say go for it!

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

If she can handle the vile shit we will be yelling at you 2 I say go for it!

hahaha - may not be her idea of an ideal "toast" but I suspect she would roll with it

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymag8:

LMAO - normally I would show her the funny/great posts on here - in this case I may be draining my 1st 2 posts on Pinside just to be on the safe side that she does not see them and get any ideas

Awe, what could be more romantic than proposing in front of her favorite pinball machine?

#140 4 years ago

cfh would happily be a witness to the ultimate proposal.

Here's a preview of how he'd behave....

20191214_220020 (resized).jpg20191214_220020 (resized).jpg
    #141 4 years ago

Ok .......now I have to show her these......lmao......although not exactly sure that is her ideal vision of the dessert table and server though ......

But she probably would go the Dialed In side proposal and we could save on the photographer if we were able to get a high game of the day and let the machine take the wedding pic

#142 4 years ago

I really hope that clay will wear his t-shirt he got for Christmas. I think that would be a nice touch for the show. I'll even autograph it.

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

I really hope that clay will wear his t-shirt he got for Christmas. I think that would be a nice touch for the show. I'll even autograph it.

Yup...That tee shirt was really "bad ass"

#144 4 years ago

In need of a single reservation for Saturday if anyone has one that they are not going to be able to use. My technically challenged friend flubbed-up his reservation attempt back when they were available and didn't realize it until they were long sold out.

scalpers_322 (resized).jpgscalpers_322 (resized).jpg
    #145 4 years ago

Looking forward to this year's show... can't wait.

#146 4 years ago

I'll be there Sunday! My first time. I'm so excited!!

#147 4 years ago

This year, we'll have complete MOD packages at a 30% discounted price for the following games:

Stern's Jurassic Park MOD Kit:

- Identification Enhancement Plate MOD in Fluorescent Green - $7.95
    - Danger 10,000 Volts Signs - $11.95
    - Control Room Alt Replacement Plastic - $16.95
    - Distressed Caution Tape Flipper Bat Mods (set of 3) - $17.95
    - Shooter Rod Plate Cover - $28.50
    - Helipad Sign MOD - $29.95
    - Don't Feed The Dinosaurs Sign MOD - $29.95
    - T-Rex Sign MOD - $29.95
    - Velociraptor Sign MOD - $29.95

Regular Total Package Price: $203.10
    VFW Package Deal: -30%
    Pick up at VFW Price: $142.17
    YOU SAVE $60.93 plus you'll save on shipping costs.

-----

Jersey Jack's Willy Wonka MOD Kit:

- Sling and Return Lane Plastic Protectors in Fluorescent Blue - $27.50
    - Candy Jar Flipper Bat Topper MODs (set of 4) - $18.95
    - Gum Drop MOD - $14.95
    - Pile of Chocolate Bars MOD - $29.95

Regular Total Package Price: $91.35
    VFW Package Deal: - 30%
    Pick up at VFW Price: $63.95
    YOU SAVE $27.40 plus you'll save on shipping costs.

-----

Stern's Stranger Things MOD Kit:

- Identification Enhancement Plate MOD in Fluorescent Orange - $7.95
    - Demogorgon Sign MOD - $8.95
    - Friends Don't Lie Flipper Bat MODs (set of 2) - $14.95
    - Leaving Hawkins Street Sign MOD - $27.95
    - Return Lane and Slingshot Plastic Protectors in Fluorescent Blue - $26.95

Regular Total Package Price: $86.75
    VFW Package Deal: -30%
    Pick up at VFW Price: $60.73
    YOU SAVE $26.02 plus you'll save on shipping costs.

------

If interested in any of the above package deals OR on any of our other MODs... please feel free to contact us at [email protected]
    to let us know what package(s) and/or items you're interested in. Payment would then be required via PayPal, Venmo, CC or you can simply pay cash at the show.

We'll also be adding a few "special VFW" items; mugs, glasses, etc (as soon as the details get worked) that will be available for sale as well.

If you should happen to have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us via Pinside (PM us) or our email (listed above)

Thanks,
    David

#148 4 years ago

Count me in for the jp mod pack. Ill talk to you next turnament

#149 4 years ago

David, Can you make custom shop aprons???

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from maf-mi:

David, Can you make custom shop aprons???

J.M. Was asking me about that earlier, but unfortunately we don’t do embroidery.
    And the shop aprons that we have available to us we aren’t able to customize, sorry.

There are 583 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2020-ann-arbor-michigan-vfw-pinball-show/page/3?hl=ulekstore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.