(Topic ID: 242363)

2020 Ann Arbor Michigan VFW pinball show

By cfh

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

71JoiFDLnRL (resized).jpg
    20200920_094638.jpg
    20200920_094638.jpg
    20200919_161025 (resized).jpg
    20200919_161014 (resized).jpg
    20200919_161001 (resized).jpg
    20200919_150238 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pinball safe (resized).jpg
    700F63FD-6CD9-4CAC-9360-8970A1F4C9DE (resized).jpeg
    VFW Showcase Shirts 2020 Overall (resized).jpg
    VFW Club Shirts 2020 Overall (resized).jpg
    200 (resized).png
    vfw back (resized).jpg
    jarmask (resized).png
    There are 583 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.
    #451 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Tilt Amusements has graciously lent a Avengers LE to the show for this weekend.

I was given bad information and can now confirm it is a Pro. I am not aware of the differences. I have no idea what everyone means by “AIQ” either.

#452 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I was given bad information and can now confirm it is a Pro. I am not aware of the differences. I have no idea what everyone means by “AIQ” either.

Avengers Infinity Quest, as opposed to 2012 The Avengers.

#453 3 years ago

It was sooo crowded

Sharing 450 pins with a dozen or so people wearing masks felt pretty safe. Most people wouldn't walk up and play the game right next to you. Super fun time, thanks Clay ... we really needed to have fun at a event like this.

20200919_150238 (resized).jpg20200919_150238 (resized).jpg20200919_161001 (resized).jpg20200919_161001 (resized).jpg20200919_161014 (resized).jpg20200919_161014 (resized).jpg20200919_161025 (resized).jpg20200919_161025 (resized).jpg

#454 3 years ago

Next weekend is the last of the mini shows. If you got a reservation in January there’s still room in the next week mini show. Unfortunately aiq is only here this weekend.
    Well except for the Canadian mini show. Which will happen when the border opens up

#455 3 years ago

No need to have Professional set up for us Canucks.
    We all see it and cry for the poor pin that paid the ultimate price.

#456 3 years ago

Avengers...that game is fucking awesome

Spinner thing is gonna be a problem child I'm
    Sure though

#457 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Avengers...that game is fucking awesome
    Spinner thing is gonna be a problem child I'm
    Sure though

Why do you think that?

On the pro it is just a spinning disk
    The le it goes up and down for a subway entrance.

Curious on your thoughts considering this was a pro

#458 3 years ago

Classic stern anyone?

20200920_094638.jpg20200920_094638.jpg
    #459 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Classic stern anyone?[quoted image]

Gonna need to see a pic of the famous gloves.

And if you can get to the bar, BONES!!

#460 3 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Why do you think that?....

I think its a new mech?...looked like a sparkplug. Anyway it needed some massaging to get it working today.

#461 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Classic stern anyone?[quoted image]

Some day I will visit there!

#462 3 years ago

There's plenty of room for people on sunday the 27th (both morning and afternoon shifts). A great way to enjoy the VFW in a very limited people setting. If you made a reservation in January, you should have an email with the link to sign up. Next weekend is the last mini show (aside from a canadian version, when the border opens, but that's just for CAD people.) If you don't have a january reservation, email me and i might be able to set you up for the 27th. [email protected]

#463 3 years ago

Anyone go horizontal this year?

#464 3 years ago

What’s the hours of the afternoon show? We are signed up but forgot the time

#465 3 years ago

Finally enough room for the people that like to lean right down to ball level.
    At least it's easier to spot the crop dusters...

#466 3 years ago

What’s the hours of the afternoon show? We are signed up but forgot the time

3-7 PM

morning times 9AM-1PM

Lines are longer than Cedar Point , but they are close this year.

#467 3 years ago

We’ve had some spirited conversations, asking if people prefer the mini shows, or the one and done hundreds of people at once. Some people like the energy of the big giant show. But most people seem to like the mini shows better. Because you can hear the game you’re playing. There’s nobody around so you can play in a flailing manner, and there’s absolutely no line on anything. And of course there’s less smells because there’s just way less people!

Personally I like the mini shows because the inside environment doesn’t drive me crazy with all the noise of nearly 500 games pounding your head. But of course the downside is, it’s just as much preparation for 25 people as it is for 250 people. And having to do it several weekends in a row wears thing on your constitution

Comments or ideas?

#468 3 years ago

I'm personally an all day big show person 3 hours isn't enough time for me.

#469 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Comments or ideas?

Regular, all weekend show, with the em championships.

I know it’s a lot of work, but that’s the best. The mini show has its benefits, but it’s way too short.

#470 3 years ago

Regular; mini shows are not an event.
    Keep the regular show, let small groups have mini shows secretly for cash at other times

#471 3 years ago

I thoroughly enjoyed the mini show and four hours was enough for me with the small crowd. Didn’t wait once to play a game except Avengers.

That being said, I’ll support and come to whatever show you offer. It’s truly incredible to have the VFW an hour away.

#472 3 years ago

We drove 4 hours one way for a 4 hour show so a longer session would be better.

Definitely miss the cole slaw.

#473 3 years ago

I wonder if you could offer different types of shows for different clientele.

For those of us who drive many hours (and crossing statelines and borders) would probably appreciate a longer show as it stands to be more of an event for us.

I often drive in on Friday, stay the night in farmington, hit the show up all day Saturday and sleep over again and drive home Sunday morning.

If the show is 4 hours, it might be hard to justify the long drive and hotel stay.

Your collection is magnificent and I will do my best to be a patron when possible, but a 4 hr window is a little harsh with a round trip of 8-9 hours and a hotel stay.

Just my 2 cents.

#474 3 years ago

Add to the longer day shows allowing vendors (as few as there are) a good place to show stuff to a small niche crowd.

I know I could spend at least 2 hours just chatting to people I only get to see once a year, so knowing I'll be on a strict timeline, it would be really hard to cram playing in with the social aspect for me.

#475 3 years ago

There's something about the large group atmosphere that makes it that much better, not to mention a 10 hour session of pinball!

#476 3 years ago

I would also most likely continue to bring games if we did the two day show like in the past.

#477 3 years ago

I'll just take a "membership" since I only live about 8 miles away.

I like the longer shows with food and tailgating and socializing during some breaks from playing. The last 2 years before it was a little more crowded. With your recent building expansion, don't add more attendees from last year and it should thin things out a little.

Okay, how many mini bikes does Clay have now? It has to be the largest mini bike collection too.

#478 3 years ago

Yea both sizes have benefits. I still want to go to one of the big shows, but the thought of renting the place out for a half day for a private outing is also tempting.

I'd definitly keep the big show going assuming covid is controlled by next summer, but also consider offering blocks of time for the private parties to some degree.

#479 3 years ago

Clay if you ever need someone to run a tournament let me know. I play and run an obscene amount of tournaments so I'm competent and it would help take some of the burden off your minions.we would just need a couple of your guys to monitor the buildings which a few usually like to play the tournament so they would be there anyway.

#480 3 years ago

I drive 3 plus each way and go until my wife gets tired and wants to leave.
    6hrs is the max so far.

The selection is always worth the drive.

I like the big show, it grants the opportunity to try to line up parts, etc.
    Great show for playing.

Be sure to have the bowlers on when I come

#481 3 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

Clay if you ever need someone to run a tournament let me know. I play and run an obscene amount of tournaments so I'm competent and it would help take some of the burden off your minions.we would just need a couple of your guys to monitor the buildings which a few usually like to play the tournament so they would be there anyway.

You would be DQ'd for not wanting to wear a mask the whole time you are there.

#482 3 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

You would be DQ'd for not wanting to wear a mask the whole time you are there.

I won't be returning until the mask are gone.mask scare me i think everyone's trying to rob me.

#483 3 years ago

I like the idea of mini shows a lot, I’ll drive 8hrs return for 4hrs of play at VFW. I don’t have an issue with the crowds at all but I’d gladly take less people. But as others have said I’m happy to attend in any format.

#484 3 years ago

The mini shows are certainly easier for us minions to work while the big cheese lights his Davidoff cigars and Austin Torpedoes with hundred dollar bills. To be fair, he also uses Flipper Coil wrappers and old score cards that say "5 balls per game".

The big shows, with all games on, and the smell of burning coils on Black House or Haunted Hole are a more fun atmosphere though.

#485 3 years ago

I LOVED the mini show. I didn't get in anyone's way, got as much time on anything I wanted, got better looks at all of the machines, everything. It was almost zen-like. No downsides to me as a casual player/enthusiast/admirer of old coin-ops.

#486 3 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

I wonder if you could offer different types of shows for different clientele.
    For those of us who drive many hours (and crossing statelines and borders) would probably appreciate a longer show as it stands to be more of an event for us.
    I often drive in on Friday, stay the night in farmington, hit the show up all day Saturday and sleep over again and drive home Sunday morning.
    If the show is 4 hours, it might be hard to justify the long drive and hotel stay.
    Your collection is magnificent and I will do my best to be a patron when possible, but a 4 hr window is a little harsh with a round trip of 8-9 hours and a hotel stay.
    Just my 2 cents.

This ^^^

A single day show for people who travel or want to make a weekend out of it, and maybe some mini shows (but a reduced number to help out w/staff fatigue) that just need 3-4 hours of playing the pins. Maybe mini shows Friday and Sunday, full day show Sat (or some flavor of that). Perhaps another mini show if needed.

Just tossing out ideas.

#487 3 years ago

Those with longer travel times could consider going to multiple mini shows on the same weekend in order to make the trip worthwhile.

#488 3 years ago

Right now we're stuck with the mini show concept. Alex from Kzoo called so we could pick dates in April 2021. But i don't think we are going to announce a 2021 show for a long while. Last weekend in April is the proposed date, but i just don't think this covid thing will be finished with us. It sure seems likely it will be Sept 2021 for the next 'big' show. And if things aren't better in Sept 2021, it will be another set of mini-shows.

#489 3 years ago

Yeah that’s totally understandable. My vote was assuming covid was no longer an issue.

#490 3 years ago

i personally would prefer the big show, i have a 3+ hour drive each way. Just my 2 cents. Again this is in a non-covid world. The mini shows seem like a great way to do things in today's world.

#491 3 years ago

if you were to have more mini shows spread out throughout the year, would the price be the same?

#492 3 years ago

I came up last weekend from Fort Wayne for both Saturday sessions and I am so happy that I did. What a wonderful collection! The staff was super friendly and helpful, the texting for game issues was beyond fast and responsive. I haven't been to a large event here so I don't know that I have an opinion on it, except that I would just love more time in the space. I hammered through games for 8 hours, only playing games I didn't have a score on Pindigo for, playing 2 games at most on a pin and didn't even scratch the surface. How much glass cleaning and sweeping do I need to do for some more access!!

10/10

#493 3 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

...mask scare me i think everyone's trying to rob me.

You should probably find a mellower strain bro...you're paranoia seems a little high.

#494 3 years ago

What Cancer said... and really WHO would want to rob Puff? i mean really, you look homeless... ha!

#495 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

...would want to rob Puff? i mean really, you look homeless... ha!

I mean that was obviously my first thought as well
    Edit: or i guess they could be robbing him for weed. Fucking chicken and the egg here

#496 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

What Cancer said... and really WHO would want to rob Puff? i mean really, you look homeless... ha!

Can't argue that I look homeless plus I don't usually make the easiest looking target in the room.

#497 3 years ago

I loved the mini show. I really appreciated the opportunity to get to see these games without the crowds or noise. I came away with an appreciation for the sound design on most games that I never would have got otherwise. I know it's a lot of extra work for the staff, but given a choice I'd pick mini shows for VFW and be happy to save the socializing for the conventions.

#498 3 years ago

I really enjoyed the mini show. I was not sure if 4 hours would be enough time for me to get around to everything I wanted to play, and it wasn’t. But that made it easier - when I go to the full “normal” show I always feel kinda rushed, trying to “do it all”. Knowing that there was no way to do so let me relax more and enjoy each game I played that much more. And I wasn’t completely exhausted when it was over! And the atmosphere was really laid back, which is nice.
    So if we’re voting, I think I might actually prefer a couple of smaller mini shows to the full show, but I really enjoy both. I will be sure to attend whichever one happens.

And thanks again to Clay and the VFW crew for everything!

#499 3 years ago

Keep the big show and the mini show (black Friday) once the flu with an attitude passes and if you can add any mini shows in between that would be even better

#500 3 years ago

I vote for a big show weekend
    as a mini show might be fine for locals,
    us out of towners need more time to justify the trip.

There are 583 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2020-ann-arbor-michigan-vfw-pinball-show/page/10?hl=wanimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.