Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1473B340-8E77-4B85-8F3F-BCF7E149C967 (resized).jpeg
    8E8274AE-0EEC-46F1-980F-6D5035D492CF (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cait001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

Really interesting thread. I agree with most of your reflections. The one thing that I would add is that the woodrail prices and market for this era continues to contract. This was brought up multiple times over the past year in the “woodrail pinballs” thread.

I saw a veteran of coin-op reflect how a lot of coin-op stuff outside of pinball is on the decline.
    Woodrails have been diminishing over the last few years it seems.

My local impression is that all EMs are waning. Where people would snap up fun $700 EMs for the garage they are lingering longer and longer. I don't expect to see EMs rise again, outside of the most collectible (rarest, and top restorations)

#13 4 years ago

A generation of people grew up next to woodrail pinballs and might have wanted them with that sense of nostalgia. That generation is mostly retired, downsizing, moving in to care homes, etc.
    There are many of us that love the woodrails, but not enough to sustain the market at past (modest) numbers.

1970s EMs will have that same reckoning. 70s EMs are now all 40-50 years old, so the people that remember them from their teenage years are 55-65 years old, so that nostalgia period will be sunsetting as well.

There's not really anyone that remembers the 1930s from their youth, so the market for THOSE machines is just pure collectors, the nostalgia wave of that period long resigned to history.

I often think of the plummet of Elvis records https://www.theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2017/may/07/elvis-presley-memorabilia-plummeting-in-price
    I imagine The Beatles market is beginning the same decline.
    Heck we're already past the peak of the Nintendo Entertainment System collecting, as 80s kids who wanted every cart grew up, got money,and went out and GOT every cart, but now some of them are beginning to downsize.

I wonder if in 2050 the kids of today will have any nostalgia for the modern ticket redemption arcades?

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

When I started you could buy 70s multi-players cheap as interest was low. At the time Clay was promoting single players as the best choice for deeper rule sets. Now it seems a collector that has a modern collection may pick up an EM as a cheap alternative but would prefer a later model multi-player. I'd bet most of the heavy hitter Wedge head and woodrail collectors are full up now. Interest seems to have declined but asking prices haven't. Many more of those games available just not affordably.

The tournament pinball aspect plays a role. Single player games just aren't that great in tournaments. Lacks the drama of competing ball-to-ball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cait001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-trends-in-the-em-pinball-market?tu=cait001 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.