Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1473B340-8E77-4B85-8F3F-BCF7E149C967 (resized).jpeg
    8E8274AE-0EEC-46F1-980F-6D5035D492CF (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlexF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Two factors at play. As the cost of new digitals continues higher and higher, EM's remain a more affordable but still fun choice for collectors. But as the population of pinball players that played EM's in the wild ages, demand goes down. Someone smarter than me can graph those two trends out to see where they intersect, and perhaps predict where prices are going!!

Region I think is a big factor. But generally agree with the statement above. I hear how interest in EMs has declined but I can't buy them like I used to. What used to be a $50-$300 project in my area has generally turned into a $400-$600 project.

When I started you could buy 70s multi-players cheap as interest was low. At the time Clay was promoting single players as the best choice for deeper rule sets. Now it seems a collector that has a modern collection may pick up an EM as a cheap alternative but would prefer a later model multi-player. I'd bet most of the heavy hitter Wedge head and woodrail collectors are full up now. Interest seems to have declined but asking prices haven't. Many more of those games available just not affordably.

As mentioned I think Bally has become the new hot EM manufacturer to pursue. I remember when Bally Brian Saunders was the odd man out. He apparently had it figured out all along.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

While true, some games are just damn fun, Night Rider is a classic.
    Theme, sound and gameplay are just so fun.

Quoted from cait001:

The tournament pinball aspect plays a role. Single player games just aren't that great in tournaments. Lacks the drama of competing ball-to-ball

I don't disagree. Just mentioning a time when Clay had a great influence over the hobby. Being a huge fan of single player Gottliebs that's what was hot at the time. Not saying they aren't fine games but it took me awhile navigating through the RGP era to discover what I really liked.

And regarding 70s Chicago Coin games. I had Top Ten and Stampede. Both had a lot of neat features and were fun to shoot. The downside was they were so damn easy. You'd get done with a ball and have to wait for the huge bonus count down to slowly chunk away. It got kind of mind numbing after a short while. I feel like with more challenging rules they could have had something.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I feel that the early-mid 60s Williams EMs are still under valued and under appreciated.

I'm a fan but they don't turn up near me for a couple hundred anymore.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlexF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-trends-in-the-em-pinball-market?tu=AlexF and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.