(Topic ID: 248850)

2019 Pinball market crowding in the middle?

By majicman110

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by swampfire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Ok. Want to start off by saying that I don't forsee a pinball market crash. However there are a Ton of games coming out and there are manufacturers than we have had in a long time. Just feels like something has to give.

I don't this thread to become a dumpster fire, so this thread is for people that generally accept the following

- pinball machines manufactured today are better than they ever have been. They are deeper and more advanced than ever. Yes stuff like Munsters isn't as deep as Deadpool and Iron Maiden doesn't have as many toys as Jurassic Park 2. They may not be as mech crazy as dmd games of the 90's but generally have more to offer.

- people that are shopping for pre alpha numeric games like those games for what they are and aren't trying to compare them to stuff made today.

Ok. That being said, i feel like there has been a pin resurgence over the past few years where all games have climbed in price. (Dmd games that were sub $2k five years ago are now selling for over $3k) The market is being flooded with new games to the point where Stern dmd games are finally starting to fall in price.

At the same time I see people asking $3500 to $4000 for games like dirty harry and de jurassic park and now there are several Stern dmd games like Metallica falling under 5k. It makes me think that more people will be passing on the Bally Williams titles to grab a Metallica pro or tspp.
    I understand that you could have made this argument for more desirable dmd games like TOM, TOTAN etc for awhile now (i.e. why buy TOM when TSPP is newer, deeper and the same price?). It just seems like now we can make that argument to the bulk of dmd games.

So my question is are we just going to end up with nearly all 1992-2010 games being in the $3500-4500 price range? Or do you guys think that something is going to give resulting in lower prices on mid range DMD games?

Keep it clean and let the speculation begin.

#2 4 years ago

I think nostalgia and dwindling numbers, along with a resurgence of interest in pinball, are what have raised 90s prices.

I do not agree that games now are better than ever. I actually think that we are reaching the point of saturation with new games, and that is what is lowering or plateauing their prices.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I think nostalgia and dwindling numbers, along with a resurgence of interest in pinball, are what have raised 90s prices.
    I do not agree that games now are better tjan ever. I actually think tbat we are reaching saturation of new games, and that is what is lowering or plateauing their prices.

Agree 100% in entirety - except that games aren't better than ever. IMO they are. JJP POTC is an outstanding achievement.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Agree 100% in entirety - except that games aren't better than ever. IMO they are. JJP POTC is an outstanding achievement.

Jjp potc and jjp woz are AMAZING! I guess I am just a guy that appreciates pins from all eras and there are just so many that I love just as much as new ones.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Jjp potc and jjp woz are AMAZING! I guess I am just a guy that appreciates pins from all eras and there are just so many that I love just as much as new ones.

I get what you are saying. I love b/w dmd games the most personally, but can't deny that newer deeper games should probably be considered better than games that I can reach wizard mode on 99% of the time.

#6 4 years ago

I love the older games and it is what got me back into pinball, however the pricing of those games has me saving for some newer games now that are in the same price range.

#7 4 years ago

In fact I am considering selling some of my classics while they still command a good price. I have seen a few deal sit recently as more and more titles are coming out.

#8 4 years ago

The 90s DMD games are great for their time, and still enjoyable today. In a home environment for a decent player, one will see just about everything they have to offer in a few weeks or months tops. Whereas, JJPPOTC and newer games, one may never see everything packed into the game. That gives them much more lastability at home.

The 90s games prices have gone up because the Stern and JJP NIB prices have shot up. Think along the lines of the Auto industry. Used cars are more expensive because the new ones are through the roof now. Same goes for pinball.

I can see prices holding right about where they are across all generations for the foreseeable future. When the pinball/barcade/bar business model goes out of style (all bar fads come and go), then games will start flooding the secondary market again, and that’s when prices will drop.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

So my question is are we just going to end up with nearly all 1992-2010 games being in the $3500-4500 price range? Or do you guys think that something is going to give resulting in lower prices on mid range DMD games?

I think comparmentalizing games based on age and maker is silly when trying to predict future prices.

The realities I see is that LOTS of the new games are more similar than different. 1 stern is much like the next just a different theme or shot. All small differences in the bigger theme. Supply continues to go up.

They are not making more of the classics and supply continues to decrease as time takes some games and so many are not in permenant collections.

Good games will hold or rise in price.

Crpapy games will fall in price.

Impacts and fluctuations downward are greater on more recent made games and greater on those premium priced games that have further to fall.

I do agree that the new middle (what many are willing to spend on a game) is somewhere in the 4 k range. A few years ago that was the 3000 range.

#10 4 years ago

A lot of the games I own have gotten way more expensive than I ever expected them to become. I generally buy pins expecting to lose a few hundred, and some have more than doubled in price (hello, Fathom and Congo). However: I can’t bring myself to sell them. It’s too important to me to have a diverse collection of pins from the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 00’s and now. Part of this is because some games are irreplaceable (e.g., I really regret selling Strange World). But I also like having lots of radically different pins to play. I like going from AbraCaDabra to Space Station to Medusa to Aerosmith. I call it “The Pinburgh Syndrome”. Once you’ve experienced it, a row of Sterns just ain’t going to cut it, no matter how good they are (and they’ve been great!).

Also...I have a big circle of pinball friends, and there’s something fun about having people over to play something they rarely see, like BreakShot. I want people to experience novelty, and I want tournament players to sweat a little.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-pinball-market-crowding-in-the-middle?hl=majicman110 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.