(Topic ID: 235150)

Official Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show thread! (5/31-6/2/19)

By nwpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 395 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DumbAss
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190530_163056 (resized).jpg
    20190601_142618 (resized).jpg
    S11_AUX_SURVIVED_WEEKEND (resized).JPG
    61839555_2357562274569533_4387127119394635776_n (resized).jpg
    DC049C57-6A34-4FA5-8639-EEE0F1F34220 (resized).jpeg
    0133F34C-0D7E-487F-AFFA-37A1EBF36B43 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6309 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6313 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6321 (resized).jpg
    58113510762__39A2CEE0-5A28-4B4F-9D64-905CEABC0D56 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6303 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1559467077499 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190602_004143 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190601_142830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190601_142821 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190601_145630 (resized).jpg

There are 395 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
    #351 4 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Anyone have an links to show walk through videos?

Here is a partial walk-through from Marcos:

https://www.facebook.com/236868773422/posts/10156653750418423?s=632762267&v=e&sfns=mo

#352 4 years ago

Who won the Munsters game raffle?

#353 4 years ago

Hi-

I tore down a lot of my LOTR upper playfield a few weeks ago, put on all new Titan rubbers, cleaned & waxed the playfield, and had it working perfectly before the show. It came back in mostly good shape. Seems like it got a lot of play, which is why I volunteered it!

One problem that has me baffled is the right ramp (Aragorn sword ramp) enter switch is not working. It just won't register by activating switch. It's my wife's favorite pin, so I want to make sure it gets repaired quickly! Please help me if you can. Below is a link to my troubleshooting details in the LOTR club. If someone can verify the under playfield wiring looks OK, then maybe it's just the switch (which I'm ordering tonight anyhow, along with tougher ramp post rubbers).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/87#post-5028318

Thanks,

-Adam

#354 4 years ago
    Quoted from Adaminski:

Seems like it got a lot of play, which is why I volunteered it!

If you volunteer it next year note the number of games played before it goes to the show and look at the number when it comes back. Simple arithmetic gives you the games played count. It's usually between 400-500. For LOTR it's possible that it will be on the lower side due to the longer ball times (in general). You could, of course, clear the audits as well.

Quoted from Adaminski:

One problem that has me baffled is the right ramp (Aragorn sword ramp) enter switch is not working. It just won't register by activating switch. It's my wife's favorite pin, so I want to make sure it gets repaired quickly! Please help me if you can. Below is a link to my troubleshooting details in the LOTR club. If someone can verify the under playfield wiring looks OK, then maybe it's just the switch (which I'm ordering tonight anyhow, along with tougher ramp post rubbers).

You can verify the physical switch by attaching the leads of a multimeter in continuity mode and physically actuating the switch. If the switch shows continuity then your problem is elsewhere.

I am local and if you want someone to come over and help you let me know. I am the person who gave you the post you needed.

Thank you for volunteering your game to the show.

#355 4 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

You can verify the physical switch by attaching the leads of a multimeter in continuity mode and physically actuating the switch. If the switch shows continuity then your problem is elsewhere.

Yeah, I forgot to document plays before sending. SW probably had a lot too, since it was on the end of the row next to Wonka. Thanks for your machines too. They played so nicely - I aspire to maintain my machines like yours.

Thanks for the feedback. The switch is registering closed all the time (verified with multimeter and in switch test mode). I note that the diode is on terminal strip under playfield. I cannot hear any click during activation when listening carefully. Looks like I need to source 180-5010-01 (Marco is out, maybe Action) and disassemble some ramps to get to the switch. Hope to get confirmation from someone with LOTR.

#356 4 years ago
    Quoted from Adaminski:

The switch is registering closed all the time.

Make sure you put the leads on C and NO and then actuate the switch. If you put the leads on C and NC it will register as closed but should register open when you actuate. I've had switches work with NC but not with NO. I throw them away because the game logic expects NO to work.

Quoted from Adaminski:

I cannot hear any click during activation when listening carefully.

It's almost certain the microswitch is done. You can probably replace it with a similar switch as long as the actuator is long enough.

#357 4 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Make sure you put the leads on C and NO and then actuate the switch.

Yes, I had C and NO. I actually unplugged from harness and put leads on pins in connector while activating the switch. Beeped the whole time (ie, closed no matter switch placement).

Quoted from DumbAss:

It's almost certain the microswitch is done. You can probably replace it with a similar switch as long as the actuator is long enough.

Yes. My extra switches all have short actuators, so I'll find one somewhere.

Seems like these posts should be in LOTR thread. Sorry to distract from proper NWPAS discussion! I'll stop now. Thanks again.

#358 4 years ago
    Quoted from Adaminski:

Hi-
    Seems like it got a lot of play, which is why I volunteered it!

I track the games on my Addams Family each year and it normally gets 600+ games the last two years.

#359 4 years ago

Have you ever wondered how the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show comes together? It's not like any other show, our show rents a bunch of large trucks and picks up game collections from around the area, a huge team of volunteers pick up, deliver, and set up games, another team tracks keys and problems, while another team repairs games as they break, and no working games are pulled from the floor until the show is over. Check out this behind the scenes look at building the biggest arcade the Northwest has ever seen!

#360 4 years ago
    Quoted from Adaminski:

Yes. My extra switches all have short actuators, so I'll find one somewhere.

Can’t you just take the actuator off your bad microswitch and put it on the new one?

#361 4 years ago

Marco filmed a great walk-thru of the show (and posted a ton of great photos on Facebook, Rachel and her team's social media game is on point!). This is a Facebook link to the walk through: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=449502952492610

#362 4 years ago

The final match of the Northwest Women's Pinball Championship at the show, which *I think* was the largest women's pinball tournament in the world:

#363 4 years ago

I have pulled some game audits from the weekend. Audits still to be collected; TSPP, HS and GB
    450 : ST Prem
    451 : MMr
    476 : STTNG
    527 : Met Pro
    566 : KISS Pro

Overall the numbers seem a little lower than last year (will add those numbers when I find them) even though my row of games were busy all three days. I was surprised that ST numbers were so low. It got a lot of attention on the end, but must have been some long ball times. STTNG was higher than expected as there were two other STTNGs at the show. Plus mine spent some time turned off for ball search issues. It did make me feel better the other two were also down at various times. KISS went down for a few minutes with a broken sling rubber. I expected the Titan silicon parts to last longer than a thousand plays. HS went down for a few minutes for broken flipper return spring. Otherwise it was smooth playing. We are lucky to have such an amazing group of organizers, repair techs and other volunteers. Thanks to all involved!

20190530_163056 (resized).jpg20190530_163056 (resized).jpg20190601_142618 (resized).jpg20190601_142618 (resized).jpg

#364 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobF:

I have pulled some game audits from the weekend. Audits still to be collected; TSPP, HS and GB
    450 : ST Prem
    451 : MMr
    476 : STTNG
    527 : Met Pro
    566 : KISS Pro
    Overall the numbers seem a little lower than last year (will add those numbers when I find them) even though my row of games were busy all three days. I was surprised that ST numbers were so low. It got a lot of attention on the end, but must have been some long ball times. STTNG was higher than expected as there were two other STTNGs at the show. Plus mine spent some time turned off for ball search issues. It did make me feel better the other two were also down at various times. KISS went down for a few minutes with a broken sling rubber. I expected the Titan silicon parts to last longer than a thousand plays. HS went down for a few minutes for broken flipper return spring. Otherwise it was smooth playing. We are lucky to have such an amazing group of organizers, repair techs and other volunteers. Thanks to all involved!
    [quoted image]

Thanks for bringing your games! I am also seeing titans not last very long. They came stock on my JJPOTC and I had to change them when I bought the game used after it was only a few months old.

#365 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Have you ever wondered how the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show comes together? It's not like any other show, our show rents a bunch of large trucks and picks up game collections from around the area, a huge team of volunteers pick up, deliver, and set up games, another team tracks keys and problems, while another team repairs games as they break, and no working games are pulled from the floor until the show is over. Check out this behind the scenes look at building the biggest arcade the Northwest has ever seen!

I'm on TeeVee! Helping out Chris, Tim, Matt - it was worth it to help out the show.

#366 4 years ago

@nwpinball There was a guy at the Marcos booth, bald, younger guy that was supposed to pass my name onto their people for a 'new' pin sale. Any idea who that was?

#367 4 years ago

I collected "games played" audits each morning. Unfortunately I don't have the end of Sunday so I only have Friday through Saturday total counts. The machines were delivered back to the staging area and I don't have easy access to them at the moment.

My statistics (two day total):

331 Monster Bash
    333 Star Trek (TNG)
    339 White Water
    356 Lord of the Rings
    395 Indiana Jones
    405 Twilight Zone
    427 Theatre of Magic
    431 Black Knight 2000
    443 Fish Tales
    444 Whirlwind
    455 Safe Cracker
    462 The Addams Family
    489 Bram Stoker's Dracula

Notable failures during the show:

Black Knight 2000 - Left flipper malfunction near the end of Sunday (doesn't affect above totals and was repaired).
    White Water - Stuck ball issues with whirlpool ramp and rear VUK.
    Twilight Zone - Slot kick-out scoop solenoid wire disconnected from lug. Down for about one hour.
    Indiana Jones - Was resetting during multi-ball until I inserted a Kahr daughter-board to keep it running (will fix this properly later).
    Star Trek (TNG) - Left VUK (not cannon) solenoid issues. Fixed by direct solder. Machine did not go down after that.
    Safe Cracker - Broken left slingshot rubber. Broken upper right middle drop target return spring. Broken right slingshot plunger (thanks to Jeff Stern for providing the part). Down for about 30 minutes.

Bram Stoker's Dracula is a drain monster with short ball times. This is the second year at the show and the second time being at the top of the count.

People sure love that Safe Cracker. Constant lines (often with people looping to the back) and often played before / after hours. I inserted 100 tokens in the machine on Thursday. I removed 48 tokens at the end on Sunday. Therefore players won 52 tokens in total. NOBODY put a token back into the game. Only one person put a Shorty's token in the game. I also picked up a quarter in Whirlwind and Indiana Jones. For those who care my dirty little secret with Safe Cracker is that you can insert a quarter into the right coin slot for a magic credit.

White Water may not be back next year unless I service it. It's been to FIVE consecutive shows with little or no maintenance (and very few plays) between shows. The winners for reliability are Whirlwind and Theatre of Magic. SIX consecutive shows. Both still going strong!

I put Super-Bands(tm) on the flippers, posts and mini-posts. I'm tempted to get some for the slingshots as this is the second year that Safe Cracker has blown a slingshot rubber at the show. I know there are purists that don't like Super-Bands but I'm a huge fan of them. Very little to no maintenance, they last and they are SO easy to clean.

I will try to remember to update with final (including Sunday) totals when I have them available.

#368 4 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I collected "games played" audits each morning. Unfortunately I don't have the end of Sunday so I only have Friday through Saturday total counts. ...

Thanks for continuing to bring so many top tier games to the show. I haven't really put much time into Whirlwind prior, but probably spent a good hour with it over the course of the weekend and it has quickly made it to the top of my list of games I want to pick up sometime soon. My girlfriend was practically attached to TOM all weekend (we have TOTAN and she wants another JPop game now, haha).

I managed to get two games in on Safe Cracker before the floor closed Saturday night, but the lines were insane all weekend. No luck getting a coin this go around, though a guy I played with snagged one. He won the Pinbot in the Saturday raffle, then proceeded to walk right over to Safe Cracker and have a killer game (he had never played it before!)

#369 4 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Bram Stoker's Dracula is a drain monster with short ball times. This is the second year at the show and the second time being at the top of the count.

See you just need to swap out those flippers like I did and it will get longer ball times!

#370 4 years ago

This year at the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show "Champion Vs. Champion" returned. For 2019, it featured Raymond Davidson vs. Keri Wing and was hosted by Ashley Weaver and Chase Nunes from GeekGamer.TV

Raymond Davidson, a Washington State native, is the reigning IFPA World and US National Champion. He went head-to-head against Keri Wing, a Kansas native and the 2019 IFPA Women's World Champion!

We put them through the following:
    - Skills Challenge (1 ball)
    - One Handed Challenge Game
    - Post Pass Challenge (1 minute)
    And much much more!

During the seminar, Ashley and Chase asked them to explain what's going through their mind as they play, their strategy… all while the play and chat with the host and audience!

#371 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Can’t you just take the actuator off your bad microswitch and put it on the new one?

That's exactly what I did. I took summary to LOTR thread:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/88#post-5031420

Some more data:

I did a factory reset on my LOTR before sending. It now has 461 plays, so I guess it had close to 450 plays over the weekend. Pretty good, considering it was in a less-trafficked area near the vendor wall on opposite side of room from the new games at Marco and Nitro.

I did not factory reset my SW as I wanted to leave it set up with a longer ball save time. Since I don't know initial plays, I sadly have no idea how many games were played.

I found 4 items in the bottom of my SW: white LED flash from left sling, and the spring, plunger head, and screw from the Death Star ball lock. Hopefully the ball lock went out toward end of show, or even shortly after I got it home.

#372 4 years ago

What was that company that had the Pinball 2000 machine with the 'hologram' and rethemed Mass Effect games? What was their gimmick, what were they doing that was their 'hook'? (aside from the 'hologram')...?

#373 4 years ago
    Quoted from pb456:

What was that company that had the Pinball 2000 machine with the 'hologram' and rethemed Mass Effect games? What was their gimmick, what were they doing that was their 'hook'? (aside from the 'hologram')...?

Those were homebrew games. They were in the FAST booth, FAST sells hardware for homebrew makers. <-- short version

#374 4 years ago

FAST Pinball. They make a variety of hardware for people wanting to build their own pinball machines. Every year their booth has different pins that people in the community have created or are working on. It's cool stuff, the Mass Effect 2 was done by a guy that lives real close to me, it's actually sitting in my garage right now, he staged it for show transport at my house.

http://fastpinball.com/

#375 4 years ago
    Quoted from pb456:

The Pinball 2000 style game was Proto1 designed by Mike O’Rourke. He is using our FAST Pinball hardware, Mission Pinball Framework (MPF) + Unity to create the game code and visuals. Mike did all the artwork and modeled, printed and cut everything on the playfield. Pretty badass!

Anthony Van Winkle was responsible for the Mass Effect games. The Game of Thrones cabinet had MPF running on the Spike board and the other cabinet had the same game code (with some hardware specific configuration changes) running on FAST hardware with a playfield he built up himself. A cool example of different approaches to creating a game.

Mike Becker has his Fight Club pin in public for the first time. People love seeing the raw game development. Very inspiring to see the work in progress and get to talk with the designer and understand how they are bringing their vision to life.

We also had some examples of a new cabinet design I have had in my head for a loooong time. Steve, Rick and Murray wanted to bring it to life and truly did! I warned them if they keep doing that I will keep sharing ideas... they said “bring it!”

Such a great time seeing everyone at the show. Already thinking of plans for next year!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#376 4 years ago
    Quoted from Adaminski:

I found 4 items in the bottom of my SW: white LED flash from left sling

I was the tech that addressed this service ticket. The ball was stuck in the right Tatooine VUK. Once the ball was removed I found that a white #906 LED flasher had wedged in the VUK plunger in the up position. I removed the flasher and put it inside the door or the coin box (don't remember if there was a coin box), then tested the VUK and glassed it back up.

#377 4 years ago

I love our show and a big reason is because of the Medics! I have been to shows that don’t have them and it really stresses me out every time I smell a toasty coil someplace.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#378 4 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

I love our show and a big reason is because of the Medics!

There's a lot to love at the Northwest show - many shows have pages and pages of post-show comments recommending changing X or Y or bellyaching about Z. I struggle to come up with even one improvement for the crew to consider and I haven't see any suggestions or complaints from others either. It all kinda confirms that this well-oiled machine is quite finely tuned - all involved should be proud of what they are a part of. It can't be an every year event for me but I'll be back before too long!

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#379 4 years ago

One of my friends came up to me at the show with three of your boards Rob and was all excited, he'd never seen or heard of them before. Hope your sales were decent!

#380 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

One of my friends came up to me at the show with three of your boards Rob and was all excited, he'd never seen or heard of them before. Hope your sales were decent!

Even DumbAss bought one for his Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure that was resetting during the show, which is saying something!

#381 4 years ago

On the seminar stage we had John Robertson show us how to read schematics in relation to repairing classic and modern pinball machines! You can find John on Facebook under John's Jukes of Vancouver, BC.

#382 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Even dumbass bought one for his Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure that was resetting during the show, which is saying something!

Which is funny, because Victor told me at the show he doesn't use them because he repairs and bulletproofs boards so they don't need it I've got one in my Creature from the Black Lagoon because I'm running so many mods in it. I dig 'em!

#383 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Which is funny, because Victor told me at the show he doesn't use them because he repairs and bulletproofs boards so they don't need it I've got one in my Creature from the Black Lagoon because I'm running so many mods in it. I dig 'em!

Alright. You nudged me though you didn't tilt me.

I don't use them ... EXCEPT when I want to keep a game running on the floor of the show. I only have the one Kahr board that was in my Twilight Zone last year. I swapped that driver board out before the show and am now in the process of re-working the Twilight Zone board. I kept the Kahr board in my back pocket. Sure enough I got reports on the Indiana Jones resetting (only in multi-ball). When I rebuilt that machine it played fine. Then I loaned it out and got sporadic reports of resetting. Reseating the connectors seemed to alleviate the problem but alas ... it didn't last. So I stuck it in the machine to ensure that the general public have a good experience playing the game. I witnessed it reset on someone and then got a reset myself while "testing" it.

Note with resets people should know that it is the +5V line dropping below the level that triggers the watchdog but it can be caused by a MYRIAD of different things. You can "bulletproof" a board but I don't routinely re-pin connectors and I suspect the connectors are the cause of this reset.

There's a place for Kahr boards. I get that people use them and like them. I like them too. I only use them to keep a game running in a pinch before I diagnose the real problem and fix it. You can be sure I'll be looking into the problem on this machine and if I don't I'll keep the Kahr board in it so that it can go to the show next year.

Note ... running a lot of mods usually doesn't mean you need a Kahr board. Mods are usually run off +12VU. That is derived from its own winding on the transformer. The +5V circuit is also derived from its own winding on the transformer as is +12VR (although +12VR is derived from +18V used in the lamp matrix). The Kahr board regulates +12VR down to +5VR. If you tap +12VR too heavily you will have switch matrix issues.

#384 4 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I only use them to keep a game running in a pinch before I diagnose the real problem and fix it.

I say the same thing, but then I never seem to get to that 'diagnose real problem and fix it' part, since something more pressing will pop up.

#385 4 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Note with resets people should know that it is the +5V line dropping below the level that triggers the watchdog but it can be caused by a MYRIAD of different things.

Quoted from rosh:

but then I never seem to get to that 'diagnose real problem and fix it' part

I pointed out both the 'MYRAID' and the 'real problem' in my seminar presentation - check out the replay beginning at the 1 hour 30 minute mark here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/432704564 .

1 week later
    #386 4 years ago

Hey, I met a few very cool people there at the fest that had EMs which I helped set up - Matt, Tim, Chris - from the local (WA) area - any of them on pinside, reach out to me! TIA.

#387 4 years ago
    Quoted from pb456:

Hey, I met a few very cool people there at the fest that had EMs which I helped set up - Matt, Tim, Chris - from the local (WA) area - any of them on pinside, reach out to me! TIA.

I'm fairly sure I know the three people you are referring to.

I don't believe any of them actively monitor Pinside.

Matt is not local to the area.

You can try reach out on the local Yahoo group WPC_2006 to contact them. I'd rather not give out somebody's contact information to somebody I don't know in person.

If you want I can reach out to one of them but I need to know who you are. Please use PM for this exchange.

#388 4 years ago
    Quoted from pb456:

I love that the first time you visited for the show you ended up not just attending, but helping set up the EM bank of pins!!!

#389 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

I love that the first time you visited for the show you ended up not just attending, but helping set up the EM bank of pins!!!

They needed help - I asked around to others there and they were the only ones that said yes. It was good to pitch in. I know how it is to set things up yourself and share some prized possessions.

1 week later
    #390 4 years ago

Near final statistics. Star Trek (TNG) count is a 2 day count only (final day count lost). The remaining machines in the 2 day count list are still wrapped.

2 day counts:

333 - Star Trek (TNG)
    339 - White Water
    405 - Twilight Zone
    431 - Black Knight 2000
    443 - Fish Tales
    444 - Whirlwind

3 day counts:

408 - Monster Bash
    437 - Lord of the Rings
    494 - Indiana Jones (TPA)
    501 - Theatre of Magic
    534 - Safe Cracker
    568 - The Addams Family
    621 - Bram Stoker's Dracula

#391 4 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

621 - Bram Stoker's Dracula

Holy Ball-Drainer, Batman.

2 weeks later
    #392 4 years ago

anyone know the name of the Football Pitch and Bat EM game that was there? I just love it and want to keep an eye out for one.

#393 4 years ago
    Quoted from oropuro:

anyone know the name of the Football Pitch and Bat EM game that was there? I just love it and want to keep an eye out for one.

That was a Williams Gridiron I think.

I too enjoyed it more than I thought I would with the whole pitching /football mishmash.

I have a Slugfest but would like an EM Pitch and Bat someday to go with it. Surprised no actual baseball ones at the show the last few years.

7 months later
    #394 4 years ago

Ok - I'm going to the 2020 NW Pinball fest - is there an official post for that set up yet? Bringing the wife this time, already got the hotel room. Looking forward to volunteering and playing.

There are 395 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-northwest-pinball-amp-arcade-show-5-31-6-2/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.