(Topic ID: 235150)

Official Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show thread! (5/31-6/2/19)

By nwpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 395 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DumbAss
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190530_163056 (resized).jpg
    20190601_142618 (resized).jpg
    S11_AUX_SURVIVED_WEEKEND (resized).JPG
    61839555_2357562274569533_4387127119394635776_n (resized).jpg
    DC049C57-6A34-4FA5-8639-EEE0F1F34220 (resized).jpeg
    0133F34C-0D7E-487F-AFFA-37A1EBF36B43 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6309 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6313 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6321 (resized).jpg
    58113510762__39A2CEE0-5A28-4B4F-9D64-905CEABC0D56 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6303 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1559467077499 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190602_004143 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190601_142830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190601_142821 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190601_145630 (resized).jpg
    There are 395 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

a few Oktoberfests (American is coming)

I will be making may first tip to NW, Joe Balcer was there the last two years, while I went to other shows that weekend, but this year we are switching it up. I've heard great things about the show, so excited to finally get there.

Unfortunately we were not able to get a seminar slot, but I'll be spending most of my time in the Nitro booth, so please stop by to ask questions, etc. I'd love to find a quiet corner and set a time to chat about game rules/strategy, but not having been there, not sure if there is a spot where that would work.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

I will be making may first tip to NW, Joe Balcer was there the last two years, while I went to other shows that weekend, but this year we are switching it up. I've heard great things about the show, so excited to finally get there.
    Unfortunately we were not able to get a seminar slot, but I'll be spending most of my time in the Nitro booth, so please stop by to ask questions, etc. I'd love to find a quiet corner and set a time to chat about game rules/strategy, but not having been there, not sure if there is a spot where that would work.

The lobby area is huge and has a bunch of tables and chairs where people can hang out and talk. There is also a pretty large cafeteria separated mostly from the main room with tons of tables and chairs and a lower volume atmosphere. The main room is fairly loud, it's one gigantic room with 400-500 pinball and arcade games, packed full of people, announcements, etc. The Nitro booth is a great place to meet and greet and show the game, but year, for serious rules and strategy talk, grabbing a table with a group of people in the lobby or cafeteria area would be the way to go!

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

I'd love to find a quiet corner and set a time to chat about game rules/strategy, but not having been there, not sure if there is a spot where that would work.

The convention center has four or five floors and on Friday at least it's rare for them to all have an event. While you wouldn't have a full room, each floor has a relatively spacious lobby / landing pad area where a group of say twenty people talking likely wouldn't raise any eyebrows. There's generally at least five people who are just sitting around charging their phones or relaxing at all times. I do tradeshow work for a living and the Tacoma convention center is very laid back as convention centers go. None of the floors are roped off or have any sort of restricted access outside of the actual rooms being locked. My gut feeling is that while technically organizing something like a meeting on another floor might be against the rules, the employees won't care unless you give them a reason to. If anything they would just tell you to leave. Saturday / Sunday might be a different story, as usually some of the other floors are rented for graduations, but you could probably still find a spot.

Worst case scenario you could just stand outside or in the parking lot. Downtown Tacoma isn't very busy and a small group would be able to hear you unamplified just fine. This isn't Times Square.

#104 4 years ago

Anyone bringing wide body glass this year?

#105 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlashDaddy:

Anyone bringing wide body glass this year?

JP has been running and ad on CL advertising cheap playfield glass in a number of sizes. I'm sure he can hook you up, but I'd message him first to let him know what size you need so he brings it.

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Munster fans! Butch Patrick (AKA Eddie Munster) will be making a special guest appearance at the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show!
    To add to the Munster mania, the grand prize raffle will be for a brand new Munsters Premium Edition. Stop by the merch and raffle desk and enter to win. Tickets are $20 each, must be bought in person, but you don't need to be present to win during the drawing during Sunday's closing ceremony. Winner must make arrangements to pick up their new game by 11pm on Sunday, June 2nd.
    [quoted image]

Cool - on both counts!

#107 4 years ago

Wednesday May 15th is the last day to volunteer your games online if you want the show to pick them up from your house, deliver them to the venue, and bring them back after the show. And we do need more games!

Incentives for games we transport:
    3 Machines (minimum) = 1 weekend pass + five $1 raffle tickets
    4-7 Machines = 2 weekend passes + ten $1 raffle tickets
    8-12 Machines = 4 weekend passes, a show t-shirt + ten $1 raffle tickets
    13+ Machines = Let us know what you'd like, we can cater something to you (which will include a $50 gift certificate to any show vendor!)

Volunteer your games today at: https://volunteer.nwpinballshow.com/

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Nolan Bushnell?

Nailed it!

#109 4 years ago

Yeah, it's gonna happen, we will have:

Black Knight
    Black Knight 2000
    Black Knight: Sword of Rage

The legacy of the Black Knight from it's start to newest pin!

bk (resized).jpgbk (resized).jpg
    #110 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Yeah, it's gonna happen, we will have:
    Black Knight
    Black Knight 2000
    Black Knight: Sword of Rage
    The legacy of the Black Knight from it's start to newest pin!
    [quoted image]

This is going to be sweet! Glad to be bringing my BK2K and complete the set!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#111 4 years ago

The day before the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show game deadline to submit games for show pickup is always super stressful, trying to get enough local collectors to volunteer their games to make the show happen. I'm always in a panic if we can pull it off again this year... about now a few people start listing big collections and a bunch of people add games and start making it happen. Fingers crossed, make it happen y'all!

#112 4 years ago

+13 for me. I've posted earlier in years past but been busy this year.

#113 4 years ago

Submitted 15 games today. Our entire FAST Harborside Arcade and then some! Might have a couple stragglers, too.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Wednesday May 15th is the last day to volunteer your games online if you want the show to pick them up from your house,

A couple of weeks ago I entered three "Pinball TBD" on the site, but never got any indication it was received. I also emailed the address on the site asking if it was received. I got no response. I've seen entries like that in past years, so assumed it was okay, if I haven't yet decided which machines to bring.

Wondering if I should submit again. How long does it take from submission to get on the list, so you know it was received?

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

A couple of weeks ago I entered three "Pinball TBD" on the site, but never got any indication it was received. I also emailed the address on the site asking if it was received. I got no response. I've seen entries like that in past years, so assumed it was okay, if I haven't yet decided which machines to bring.
    Wondering if I should submit again. How long does it take from submission to get on the list, so you know it was received?

The list is live, they appear immediately, I'm guessing without a real title though it might not appear. There is no automated response after submitting games, people add, subtract, change, add more, so it seemed an automated response would be unwanted.

When you log into the volunteer site, you should see "Your Volunteered Games" with the titles listed below. But maybe if you didn't submit actual titles, it didn't happen. You might find it works better to submit 3 actual game titles, even if you change them out in the 2 weeks before the show.

#116 4 years ago

I'm coming from Alaska, probably nobody else from the state I know of - wanting to learn all I can of this event to try it ourselves in Alaska. Please, if you're interested in reaching out, and you see me, let me know! I run a small monthly tournament in Anchorage and I'm wanting to grow it to more than it is now.

#117 4 years ago

I'll be unveiling my project at the show: Firepower Duel, battle head-to-head on two linked Firepower pinball machines.

Check this thread for more details...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-duel-destroy-or-be-destroyed

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'll be unveiling my project at the show: Firepower Duel, battle head-to-head on two linked Firepower pinball machines.

This sounds amazing! If you want to share anymore info before the show, please PM me and I can hype it. --Dan

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from pb456:

I'm coming from Alaska, probably nobody else from the state I know of - wanting to learn all I can of this event to try it ourselves in Alaska. Please, if you're interested in reaching out, and you see me, let me know! I run a small monthly tournament in Anchorage and I'm wanting to grow it to more than it is now.

I you want inside scoop on throwing a bigger event or to grab a beer, feel free to hit me up!

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

This sounds amazing! If you want to share anymore info before the show, please PM me and I can hype it. --Dan

Feel free to grab any details from the other thread if you want to promote it.

#121 4 years ago

Here is some news - I've never previously done a seminar at a show; that ends when I host "From Party Zone to the Power Fix: Tales and Technical Details from KAHR.US" at NWPAS! I don't know where I am on the seminar schedule but stop on in if you want to hear what I hope is an entertaining and informative look at innovation through the lens of my pinball collection.

KAHR.US Seminar Intro SlideKAHR.US Seminar Intro Slide

Please don't bring any rotten fruit projectiles...

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED Display Boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#122 4 years ago

Nice, Rob! Not only coming, but stepping it up and bringing your A-game to our show! We appreciate it!

#123 4 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Here is some news - I've never previously done a seminar at a show; that ends when I host "From Party Zone to the Power Fix: Tales and Technical Details from KAHR.US" at NWPAS! I don't know where I am on the seminar schedule but stop on in if you want to hear what I hope is an entertaining and informative look at innovation through the lens of my pinball collection.
    [quoted image]
    -Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED Display Boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

Cool, can't wait

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

No rotten fruit. I'm an egg guy.

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I was looking at the games list for the show - saw two Firepowers on it - HighVoltage are they both yours?

Also I clicked on the map on the directions page and got a 404 error.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#126 4 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

I was looking at the games list for the show - saw two Firepowers on it - highvoltage are they both yours?

Indeed, two Firepowers = one Firepower Duel.

One of them is this one, which is technically sold, I received a deposit for it but arranged with buyer to keep it until the show.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-trade-restored-firepower

The other one was a project I picked up last summer, the boards weren't installed but was told they should start just have several issues. I installed them all, and it only needed one transistor replaced, so it turned out to be not much of a project after all. I originally thought I'd fix the project one and sell it, but wanted to free up more cash for other deals, so decided to sell the more valuable restored one.

I've always planned to do a reprogram of Firepower, and thought may as well try linking them since I have two. Now that it worked out, not sure if I made the right decision selling one, ha. Good thing is there's quite a lot of them around, if the deal doesn't fall through, I'll probably pick up another one some day. Doing the project has given me lots more ideas I could implement, this version was more a proof-of-concept, but then I cleaned it up and refined it. But there's some areas I didn't spend much time on.

#127 4 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on the map, I'll get that updated tomorrow, along with the seminar schedule. Hung out with Kayla and Graham of the Skill Shot pinball podcast and recorded episode #70 today, mostly about the show. Hyped Rob's seminar along with lots of other other stuff about the show, it should out next weekend! I had a good weekend working on my games and prepping for the show, just a few small problems left. Hope everyone's game prep is going well!

#128 4 years ago

The NWPAS Satellite: Nitro Battle Royale took place yesterday afternoon and evening at the NITRO PINBALL Beercade at Another Castle Video Games, only to encounter a major issue in Round 2, when the Matchplay Events software crashed, and was unavailable for a few hours. But we were determined to continue anyways. Thank you for the patience to all players through the delays while we transitioned to running this fair strike tournament manually with the help of Excel. The final results are shown in the attached image, and they will be submitted to IFPA.

Congratulations to Anthony Giles for the victory, accumulating only 3 strikes over the 8 rounds of play. Neil Kubath and Ramsey Sierra shared second place. All three of them have earned a weekend pass and entry into the Open Match Play and Classic PinGolf at the 2019 Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show!

Our Amateur/Rookie winner is Zofia Gil, who put in a strong performance to finish 8th overall, and tops among all players with IPR of 3 or less. Zofia wins the same entries as the top 3, plus entry into the 2019 Northwest Women's Pinball Championship at NWPAS and into the Rookie/Amateur Match Play tournament. Zofia was coincidentally also the raffle prize winner of a Stern Beatles Translite, courtesy of Stern Pinball.

Only two more satellite tournaments left, one is the NWPAS Satellite: Georgetown Flipoffs this Thursday at Flip Flip, Ding Ding and the final event, the NWPAS Satellite: Memorial Day Masters at 8-Bit in a week on Memorial Day. Don't miss out on your final opportunities to win your way to the show!

111pinball (resized).jpg111pinball (resized).jpg
    #129 4 years ago

There are only two satellite tournaments left before the show! So far, we've had 60 different winners, with five of them winning a guest package as well. If you won a package, you can verify your name is on the list here: http://nwpas.wapinball.net/satellite-winners.htm

Furthermore, if you will be receiving a weekend pass through some other means (volunteering time, volunteering games, sponsorship of show), then please let me know via private message and we'll convert your winning weekend pass to a $65 gift certificate that can be used anywhere at the show.

Remember tournament packages are not transferable, except for a Guest/+1 second package win. For that Guest/+1 package, the winner needs to accompany the guest when obtaining the weekend pass at the show registration desk, or retrieving their tournament entry at the tournament registration desk.

#130 4 years ago

We need a few volunteers to score-keep at the NWPAS Satellite: Memorial Day Masters at the 8-Bit Arcade in Rentorn. We're looking for someone to cover a 2-hour slot. We'll cover cost of your PinGolf entry if you can help us out. Please send me a private message if you're able to help out.

#131 4 years ago

There is now a pinned location on the Pinside map with the pins coming to the show listed, please feel free to add games and info for stuff you are brining! https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/12568-nw-pinball-amp-arcade-show-tacoma-wa

#132 4 years ago

Any list of pins coming for sale ? Was thinking of making the trip

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from Clint12:

Any list of pins coming for sale ? Was thinking of making the trip

We never have a list of games people are bringing to sell, I wonder if any shows are able to pull that off and get people to submit their for sale info before the show. I've seen a number of people post on different threads and in different forums they are bringing games to sell, but that's about it.

#134 4 years ago

willing to sell some games can bring if we arrange before show
    Stern Playboy
    Ac/Dc pro
    Judge Dredd
    Family Guy
    Lethal Weapon 3

#135 4 years ago

Here's a map view showing room availability from hotels.com - The three green hotels with availability the weekend of the show are the Holiday Inn Express, the Extended Stay, and the La Quinta. Probably shouldn't wait any longer if you are considering a room for the weekend!

Hotels mostly booked upHotels mostly booked up

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

#136 4 years ago

My most excellent condition Tales From The Crypt will be for sale.

#137 4 years ago

For the first time you can battle head-to-head in real time on two linked Firepower pinball machines--It's Dual Firepower and it's making it's world debut at the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show!

Dual Firepower (resized).jpgDual Firepower (resized).jpg
    #138 4 years ago

What I will have for sale:
    Torch Project
    POTC (stern)
    Asteroids arcade
    Armor Attack arcade
    The Driver Arcade
    Gorf Arcade
    Sprint 2 arcade
    Wheels Arcade

#139 4 years ago

Hey, nice, that's cool. It's technically supposed to be "Firepower Duel" but same idea. Maybe you have in mind a good spot for them at the show to set up just like that?

Also, special request from Rob: he'd really like it within eye-shot of his booth so he can keep entertained watching the battles.

#140 4 years ago

I realized that about 2 hours after I posted it... I'll edit it! We often do split angled pins at the ends of rows, I think that's how it would probably work best. I try to stay out of the game layout and let the floor folks plan it all, but I'm there all set up day schlepping games, so I'll see what I can do.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

I realized that about 2 hours after I posted it... will edit it! We often do split angled pins at the ends of rows, I think that's how it would probably work best. I try to stay out of the game layout and let the floor folks plan it all, but I'm there all set up day schlepping games, so I'll see what I can do.

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

"Firepower Duel"

What's a one-letter change among friends?

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

#143 4 years ago

The custom games are far and away my favorite part of the show. Hopefully that standard width Future Spa makes an appearance. I thought it played better than the original.

#144 4 years ago

If Aaron from Fast is around, he might know if it's coming, he's usually up on what homebrew games are coming and the ones that use Fast hardware often are in the Fast booth.

#145 4 years ago

Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show 2019 Seminar Area Schedule!

FRIDAY MAY 31st
    SHOW HOURS: 12pm‐11:30pm

3:30-4:30pm Dave Okert / David Shoemaker "Say What? Ask Anything About Game Repair"
    5-6pm Rob Kahr "Party Zone to the Power Fix: Tech Tales of WPC Power"
    7-8pm The Champions 2 "IFPA World Champion Raymond Davidson vs. IFPA Women's World Champion Keri Wing"

SATURDAY JUNE 1st
    SHOW HOURS: 10am‐11:30pm

12:30-1:30pm Victor Tan "Electron Vision: Pinball Superpower"
    2-3pm Butch Peel "Pinball Shopping and Repair: Plain and Simple"
    3:30-4:30pm Zombi Yeti "Why Can't Zombi Yeti Draw Nice Things?"
    5-6pm Ed Fries "A History of 8‐Bit Game Design"
    8-9pm John Robertson "Reading Schematics 101 ‐ How an EM Pinball Game Starts Up"
    10:30-11:30pm Northwest Women's Pinball Championship: Final Match Hosted by Dave Stewart & Chase Nunes

SUNDAY JUNE 2nd
    SHOW HOURS: 9am‐3pm

1-2pm Closing Ceremony with Scholarship Announcements / Awards / Recognition

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show 2019 Seminar Area Schedule!
    FRIDAY MAY 31st
    SHOW HOURS: 12pm‐11:30pm
    3:30pm 4:30pm Dave Okert / David Shoemaker "Say What? Ask Anything About Game Repair"
    5:00pm 6:00pm Rob Kahr "Party Zone to the Power Fix: Tech Tales of WPC Power"
    7:00pm 8:00pm The Champions 2 "IFPA World Champion Raymond Davidson vs. IFPA Women's World Champion Keri Wing"
    SATURDAY JUNE 1st
    SHOW HOURS: 10am ‐ 11:30pm
    2:30pm 1:30pm Victor Tan "Electron Vision: Pinball Superpower"
    2:00pm 3:00pm Butch Peel "Pinball Shopping and Repair: Plain and Simple"
    3:30pm 4:30pm Zombi Yeti "Why Can't Zombi Yeti Draw Nice Things?"
    5:00pm 6:00pm Ed Fries "A History of 8‐Bit Game Design"
    8:00pm 9:00pm John Robertson" Reading Schematics 101 ‐ How an EM Pinball Game Starts Up"
    10:30pm 11:30pm NW Women's Pinball Championship Final Match Hosted by Dave Stewart & Chase Nunes
    SUNDAY JUNE 2nd
    SHOW HOURS: 9am ‐ 3pm
    1:00pm 2:00pm Closing Ceremony with Scholarship Announcements / Awards / Recognition

#147 4 years ago

When will the load in information be sent out?

#148 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ronnie1114:

When will the load in information be sent out?

As in show transport/pick up or self transport load in times? I can check with Justin and the transportation/load in crew.

#149 4 years ago

Well it took us 12 years, but we finally are making some big game etiquette signs. We tried to keep them concise and on point so people will actually read them. One can hope?

Game Etiquette Sign for web (resized).jpgGame Etiquette Sign for web (resized).jpg
    #150 4 years ago

MAY 27th is the NWPAS Satellite: Memorial Day Masters hosted by 8-bit Arcade!

Details
    Pinball Golf Style! This will be the same PinGolf format that will be used in the qualifying round of this year's Classic PinGolf Tournament at the 2019 Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show. This is an All-Ages Event.

72 Tee-off time slots (two every 10 minutes), between Noon and 6:00PM. Players are allowed one attempt. Players can reserve their first tee-off time using the link below. (Note that tee off times between 5 and 6pm will only be used if 60 or more players). 75% to the tee-offs are already reserved, so get in there now if you want to play!

There are no finals. The results of the round are the final results of the tournament. Once you've played your round, you don't need to stick around for finals. Live results will be online, and you'll be notified (email or Facebook) if you've won a package.

More details on the format and rules of PinGolf are online in the details of the NWPAS Classic PinGolf tournament: http://nwpas.wapinball.net/classic.html

Guarantee of 4 NWPAS Tournament Prize Packages, with each packet providing a weekend pass and entry into each tournament the winner is eligible for. Players who have already won such a package in a prior tournament are allowed to win a second guest package to transfer to a friend or family member. Additional prize package at 39 players, plus one more package at every 8 players beyond 39.

One of these packages is guaranteed to a Rookie/Amateur-Eligible Player (IPR of 3 or less) see http://pinballstats.info/search/.

There will be a raffle prize drawn each hour, among players who played that hour.

Tee-Off Time Reservations are Open:
    https://tinyurl.com/memorial-day-masters

Want to get some practice? Although we can't say precisely which machines we use, likely it will be similar to last year, which are the ones on the back wall, about half closest to wall on left, and half closest to window on right.

8bit (resized).jpg8bit (resized).jpg
    There are 395 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-northwest-pinball-amp-arcade-show-5-31-6-2/page/3?hl=gasoline and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.