(Topic ID: 233111)

2019 New Pinball purchase will be taxed.

By mnpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 154 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SadSack
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nexxus01.jpg
    ADD58E60-9590-4CF6-ACA5-244036415AE5 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1778 (resized).PNG
    9cd06f371223d3bd9ce1c6f24425344b--seinfeld-amber (resized).jpg
    IMG_1777 (resized).PNG
    19A6C2D6-5926-41FF-951D-F236479B5F1A (resized).jpeg
    nonprofits (resized).jpg
    20180830_155352 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E45E7B01-C64D-47AF-9C91-148666BBC3F9 (resized).jpeg
    mv4eVMY (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    Dude.gif

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #297 Comments from a distributor. Posted by KingPinGames (5 years ago)

Post #304 More info from a distributor. Posted by KingPinGames (5 years ago)

Post #355 Economic nexus test, uses Louisiana as an example. Posted by iceman44 (5 years ago)

Post #415 Comment from distributor. Posted by Gexchange (5 years ago)

Post #465 State by state tracker. Posted by flynnibus (5 years ago)

Post #505 Some expierence for 2019 and suggestions. Posted by Pinzap (5 years ago)

Post #513 Break down of thresholds state by state Posted by Hemispheres (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Were 13% sales tax on everything here. It’s kinda hard listening to people bitch about having to finally pay sales taxes. It’s just the way of life for lots of people.
    Welcome to the rest of the world.

You also have universal health coverage and first work infrastructure unlike many parts of the U.S.

#191 5 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Lived in Chicago for the past 7 years and then took a promotion back home. I shudder to think of all of the tax money I paid to that state, and they still have some of the worst schools and worst debt in the nation. Not uncommon for an average 3 bedroom ranch in the burbs to be 13k to 15K a year just in property tax. I paid for schools neither I nor any of my family will ever use, and to open an even bigger can of worms, I would love to see schools all privatized....did I just say that? Yes I did, and I am married to a teacher.......break out the rolling pin! lol

Private schools are perceived as "better" than public schools for these reasons: Charging tuition keeps out the riff raff. And if any riff raff happens to enter even though their folks can afford the tuition, they can be booted out at any time for any misbehavior. Couple that with no obligation to educate special needs kids or anyone else on the fringes, and there you go.

#213 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The top “1 percent ers..” pay 40% of the total federal income tax collected
    The top 10% pays 71% of the total
    The bottom 45% pay Zero Federal income tax
    Fact: No matter how you slice it rate wise, you aren’t squeezing any more juice out of the “rich”. They will plan around it or move
    Need to look at 1/2 the population that pays ZERO
    When you lower taxes, oh wait, unemployment goes to record lows AND wages rise, including the minimum wage across the country and voluntarily for Amazon, Walmart, etc
    You want to ration Healthcare? Move to Canada
    Many of you should be applauding these sales taxes, but you only want higher taxes as long as it doesn’t apply to you!

Percentage of income is what matters, not amount. Warren Buffett even admits that his secretary pays a higher percentage of her income than him. When passive income (capital gains) is taxed at a lower rate than active income (people who work for a living), things are skewed for the rich. Sales taxes or any flat taxes are regressive and affect working and poor classes more since a much higher percentage of their income needs to be spent in order to live.

As far as you or any other rich person "moving away", yeah right.

#234 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

That's the problem. The really rich (and those who never had to work for it) completely lose perspective. I'm not trying to hate. I don't know any of you, and I know not all rich people are bad. but don't come at me like I'm some welfare check holder.

Exactly. I don't know many people personally on here either. But I will tell you this. The idea of people pulling themselves up by the bootstraps and becoming rich in America is an exploded myth. Most were born on 3rd base and thought they hit a triple. People need to stop pretending like the exception is the norm.

And now that Iceman has finally officially exposed himself for what you could only speculate about before with the "limo lib camp" comment. Those comments belong on Breitbart, not here.

#235 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Uh you might wanna try reading comprehension or read my earlier posts. I said total tax burden. The rich do NOT pay 50% in federal income tax, so I assumed we were talking the same thing.
    Anyway, you avoided my actual question to try to pick apart what I said (falsely), so clearly we should just quit responding.

Right. You would think that basic reading comprehension would be a prerequisite for being a self-made rich guy.

#237 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

The American dream has been a lie for years, most will never become millionaires, but as long as they keep believing everything will be ok.

Many got it from daddy and then go around preaching that if they can do it, anyone can.

#241 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

There you go hating on America again. Maybe time for you to exit this thread.
    P.s. USA has the most millionaires and billionaires.

Nothing says a free exchange of ideas like shutting someone out that you disagree with.

#285 5 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Interesting stat about how people got their wealth:
    “According to the book The Millionaire Next Door, only 20% of millionaires inherited their wealth. The other 80% earned their cash on their own.”
    For the 80% percent of people who earned their way to becoming millionaires (and for everybody else that busts their asses to provide for their families): I salute you! Keep doing what you are doing,
    For the 20% that inherited it: Congrats on being lucky, you lucky bastards!

This would be great if it were so simple. There are a lot of complex reasons why some people who start with "nothing" do way better than people who actually do start with nothing.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/a-self-made-success-lets-kill-that-myth

This is the kind of story that never gets told from the "I did it all myself" crowd. The best quote is here: "I didn't inherit my wealth. I created it.

But look a little deeper, and it turns out that version of my success story is a lie. Yes, my family background is rather humble. Both of my parents were teachers. I grew up in hand-me-down clothes from our neighbors.

But, before I was born, my parents got help from their parents to buy a house in a safe neighborhood with good schools. When my grandmother passed, she left each of her grandkids some money, not a fortune, but enough that I made it through college without school debt.

My wife's nana was a school teacher as well. She and her husband saved their humble income and bought land decades ago. And when I started my business, she believed in me enough to sell her land and invest the money in my start-up.

So, we can blow up the myth that I'm a self-made success. Sure, I had something to do with it, but I also had some serious help."

The story goes on to talk about other forms of generational privilege, but you get the idea.

On that note, we're certainly not going to resolve our differences of opinion here. The reality is that this tax has just upped the cost of the hobby.

#290 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

You base your views on this guy?
    Looks like he got his BA degree at North Texas in band and jazz? Then he worked for 20 plus years in the tech industry and became a millionaire selling a company I cant find the sale of. ??
    I dunno man. Jazz Band Major in college to tech millionaire with 25 years of his work in tech doesn't sounds like he did most of it on his own to me.
    This is seriously what you base your view on "folks start at third base" to make it in the US? Band major millionaire. OK?

No. He is an example of one of those supposed "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" guys who supposedly started with nothing. He was not a born millionaire, but had plenty of hidden advantages. Remember when everyone laughed and scoffed at "You didn't build that."? Well, this guy is a shining example. The difference between him and most is that he admits it and is honest about it.

So, even if you happen to be born on 2nd or 1st, you still have huge advantages that the vast majority of the population does not have.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-new-pinball-purchase-will-be-taxed-?tu=usandthem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.