(Topic ID: 233111)

2019 New Pinball purchase will be taxed.

By mnpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 154 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SadSack
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nexxus01.jpg
    ADD58E60-9590-4CF6-ACA5-244036415AE5 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1778 (resized).PNG
    9cd06f371223d3bd9ce1c6f24425344b--seinfeld-amber (resized).jpg
    IMG_1777 (resized).PNG
    19A6C2D6-5926-41FF-951D-F236479B5F1A (resized).jpeg
    nonprofits (resized).jpg
    20180830_155352 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E45E7B01-C64D-47AF-9C91-148666BBC3F9 (resized).jpeg
    mv4eVMY (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    Dude.gif

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #297 Comments from a distributor. Posted by KingPinGames (5 years ago)

Post #304 More info from a distributor. Posted by KingPinGames (5 years ago)

Post #355 Economic nexus test, uses Louisiana as an example. Posted by iceman44 (5 years ago)

Post #415 Comment from distributor. Posted by Gexchange (5 years ago)

Post #465 State by state tracker. Posted by flynnibus (5 years ago)

Post #505 Some expierence for 2019 and suggestions. Posted by Pinzap (5 years ago)

Post #513 Break down of thresholds state by state Posted by Hemispheres (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#469 5 years ago

I don't know the end result, Pinball machines will cost a bit more but people will still buy them. Might hurt sales but in the end higher costs won't kill the pinball industry.

#479 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

You so sure about that? My pin friends run the gambit from high end large scale collectors to working class with one or two EMs.
    None are buying nib based on current prices. Used? That’s a different story for now.

I’m sure about it.

You think because a few people you know aren’t buying new pins that means no one is buying new pins?

I don’t know anyone buying a Beatles pin does that mean no one at all is buying one? People have said all the time “ new pins are too expensive look at LotR was $4K back in the day now $8K for a BM66 are you kidding me? “. People spend $15K on BM66 SLE.

LOL if you think no one will buy NIB pins because they cost a bit more.

#481 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

There's a difference between 'no one' and 'fewer'.

I said people will still buy nib pins. Underlord asked if I was sure about that? what part was I wrong about?

Either I’m right and people will still buy nib pins or I’m wrong (and underlord is right) which means no one will buy nib pins any more.

You think a price hike will cause people to stop buying something?

Here is a link https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2018/10/04/pickup-truck-prices-vehicles/1455588002/

It says the average selling price of full size Pickup truck is $48K which up 48% from 10 years ago. Guess what full size PU trucks still sell in the millions of units. Some PU trucks can cost as much as $100K.

#485 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

For many vehicles are considered a necessity. Pinball machines, not so much. The bigger point is that while people will exaggerate and say 'no one' what they really mean is fewer, and that could mean far fewer. It wouldn't take that many less sales to impact new production numbers.

That’s what I said. I said the tax will hurt sales. Underlord was the one implying that no one would buy NIB because his circle of friends are not buying anything new.

Plus if a truck is a necessity people can buy a used just like pinball. No one needs to buy a new truck or a new pinball machine. If you raise prices on new truck then people who can’t afford $48K will buy a used or a stripped new truck. Same with pinabll machines. Probably far more used pinball machines (and trucks) are sold every year but that doesn’t mean no one buys NIB.

This has been forever, if no one ever bought nib pins there would never be any used pins.

#486 5 years ago

I’ve bought 14 pins in the last eight years 7 nib and 7 used. A sales tax won’t dictate to me what I can or can’t buy. That’s silly. If it’s another $700 whatever that’s what it costs. I’m not saying I won’t buy nib because of a tax. Maybe some people won’t but some will do whatever the hell they want.

Complaining about it on a forum won’t change anything.

#491 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Agreed, I’ve been reading it since RGP days. Skies falling, etc. but prices versus value is WAY out of whack in a short amount of time. Almost a cash grab every new pin. Hasn’t kept up with what is being put into the product .

But people seem to be still buying? Beatles pro for same cost as STLE.

1 week later
    #520 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinLen83:

Is this due to the new property write off limitations?

Not only property tax and interest write off limitation.

Really it’s state and local income tax we used to be able to deduct. That could be tens of thousands of dollars. We are being taxed on income we never see because it’s deducted for state income tax. Some states have 8-12% income tax.

Here is a quote for a $500k earner in California this does not include home interest deduction or property tax deduction that you would lose as a result of new tax law. The loss of interest and property tax deduction would add thousands of more Federal 2018 taxes. ADD58E60-9590-4CF6-ACA5-244036415AE5 (resized).jpegADD58E60-9590-4CF6-ACA5-244036415AE5 (resized).jpeg

#525 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

mortgage interested deduction didn’t go away. You can still claim that if you itemize, and just like before it’s not capped.

That’s *if you itemized*. Now since state, local and property tax are no longer able to be deducted you can’t itemize any more because that is the majority of what people use to get over the standard deduction. Meaning most people won’t itemize even if the do have mortgage interest.

As for losing the ability to claim state tax as a deduction. The way I see it is we never see this money. It’s not part of our take home pay yet we still have to pay taxes on that portion it’s almost like a double tax (pay tax on money that is tax).

#526 5 years ago

Some instances state income taxes will increase because they use AGI meaning after deduction so if you can no longer itemize then your AGI is higher an so you’ll pay more state tax than you would have prior.

Unless the states do a work around a states could end up with bonus tax collection as a consequence.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-new-pinball-purchase-will-be-taxed-?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.