(Topic ID: 233111)

2019 New Pinball purchase will be taxed.

By mnpinball

11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 154 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by SadSack
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

nexxus01.jpg
    ADD58E60-9590-4CF6-ACA5-244036415AE5 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1778 (resized).PNG
    9cd06f371223d3bd9ce1c6f24425344b--seinfeld-amber (resized).jpg
    IMG_1777 (resized).PNG
    19A6C2D6-5926-41FF-951D-F236479B5F1A (resized).jpeg
    nonprofits (resized).jpg
    20180830_155352 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E45E7B01-C64D-47AF-9C91-148666BBC3F9 (resized).jpeg
    mv4eVMY (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    Dude.gif

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #297 Comments from a distributor. Posted by KingPinGames (11 months ago)

Post #304 More info from a distributor. Posted by KingPinGames (11 months ago)

Post #355 Economic nexus test, uses Louisiana as an example. Posted by iceman44 (11 months ago)

Post #415 Comment from distributor. Posted by Gexchange (11 months ago)

Post #465 State by state tracker. Posted by flynnibus (11 months ago)

Post #505 Some expierence for 2019 and suggestions. Posted by Pinzap (11 months ago)

Post #513 Break down of thresholds state by state Posted by Hemispheres (11 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dnapac.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#98 11 months ago

I find this a very interesting read. Not only is it helping me understand the new tax laws, but I get a glimpse of other countries and how they handle taxes and how they perceive USA taxes. US citizens tend to complain about taxes because they are so complex. About the time you know what to pay, you are told there is some other added tax from some other entity. I don’t think anyone has a problem paying taxes here, it’s just so complex that you never know where you stand...and that gets frustrating.

1 week later
    #537 11 months ago
    Quoted from Hemispheres:

For the most part you're correct. The crappy thing as a distributor is if we go three quarters and we haven't collected the tax on all those sales in your state for example, and now we're going to hit the threshold in your state all that tax that we did not collect will be due. We can't simply go back to you and say oh you owe the tax now. You have no idea that headaches this creates for us. we literally have to monitor every state we do business in now. Some larger Distributors just may choose to start collecting tax in every state there is tax to avoid the possibility of breaking the threshold in that state. I don't know. I do know based on the numbers that we do that there's definitely distributors out there that are breaking these thresholds. Especially those that do a lot of small transactions that will break the 100 or 200 transaction number.

What a headache. If I understand correctly, there maybe some business that charge tax (assuming they would get to the threshold)...but don’t make the threshold and thus keep the money that they charged to the customers (me) as tax (giving it back to the customer would be a logistic nightmare). On the other hand, if they don’t charge the tax and reach the threshold, the business would be on the hook to pay tax they didn’t collect, thus losing $1000s +.

#539 11 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

They would file the tax

Meaning give the collected tax (even if not needed due to threshold not being met) to the state? If that’s correct...the states win big time...they will get taxes collected when taxes shouldn’t have been collected. Not slamming what the small business needs to do, but this seems like the states way to collect tax that isn’t needed legally.

#541 11 months ago
    Quoted from Monk:

The tax was always supposed to be "collected". Everything you purchase has your state sales tax on it. Most people just chose not to pay it. The tax collected from a distributor is still the tax you were supposed to pay.

Oh yes, you are correct.

#544 11 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

You're looking at it wrong. The thresholds are about EXCEPTIONS -- not when the tax applies or not... meaning the tax itself is always legal and expected. The exceptions exist to establish practical limits so that small timers don't get buried. It's not a case of "the tax only exists if..." -- its "this business does not need to participate if its smaller than..."
    This whole tangent is not introduced by recent changes... it's just a problem exaggerated for the businesses by the idea of dealing with many states.
    This whole problem is actually created because such an economy has built up IN THE LOOPHOLE... not that the principles are now somewhat new. It's a challenge of how to retrofit long standing ideas, onto a model that has built up while being able to ignore them previously.
    It's not over... the current interpretation really is not practical and will hinder economic growth. So ultimately it will have to be addressed again.

Ah yes, this is correct. As a consumer, we have, for so long, seen purchases from out of state entities that don’t have a physical presence in our state as “tax free”. And this way of thinking has been incorrect. I know ignorance is not a good excuse, but many don’t realize they were suppose to voluntarily pay the tax on their out of state purchases...I’ve never had my accountant ask, at tax time, if I made any out of state purchases this past year, and what the total was so I can pay my tax on it. But I understand now that there was no good way to enforce the tax due until now.

#553 11 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

And once enough states get smoother on their online stuff... an Amazon/Google/Paypal like company will roll out ecommerce/ERP platforms for businesses as a cloud service that will streamline it and make it easy... for a slice of the action.

This sounds like a good company to buy stock in at an early time...assuming it’s publicly traded. Something to look for in the future.

#555 11 months ago

Ha! Got home for lunch and was telling my wife about this. She takes care of all money/taxes, etc...heck, I don’t even know when I get paid. She said that our tax booklet (we fill out before going to the accountant) always asks if we have purchase over the Internet/mail order. She checks “yes”, but they have never asked for a total. I’m so clueless...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 21.00
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 1,000.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dnapac.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside