(Topic ID: 233111)

2019 New Pinball purchase will be taxed.

By mnpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 154 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SadSack
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nexxus01.jpg
    ADD58E60-9590-4CF6-ACA5-244036415AE5 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1778 (resized).PNG
    9cd06f371223d3bd9ce1c6f24425344b--seinfeld-amber (resized).jpg
    IMG_1777 (resized).PNG
    19A6C2D6-5926-41FF-951D-F236479B5F1A (resized).jpeg
    nonprofits (resized).jpg
    20180830_155352 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E45E7B01-C64D-47AF-9C91-148666BBC3F9 (resized).jpeg
    mv4eVMY (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    Dude.gif

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #297 Comments from a distributor. Posted by KingPinGames (5 years ago)

Post #304 More info from a distributor. Posted by KingPinGames (5 years ago)

Post #355 Economic nexus test, uses Louisiana as an example. Posted by iceman44 (5 years ago)

Post #415 Comment from distributor. Posted by Gexchange (5 years ago)

Post #465 State by state tracker. Posted by flynnibus (5 years ago)

Post #505 Some expierence for 2019 and suggestions. Posted by Pinzap (5 years ago)

Post #513 Break down of thresholds state by state Posted by Hemispheres (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#461 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Yes, that is what I meant. it's laughable to say that the state is "enforcing it prior to allowing a vehicle to be registered for use."

Depends on the state. In WA and I'm pretty sure CA will TELL you what your used car is worth if what you paid doesn't meet their minimum amount. This is regardless if you got a good deal, bought a project, was part of private trade, etc. Also in WA, our recent transportation expansion included a car registration increase based on the value of the vehicle, when it was new....not the accepted depreciation schedule value (by an agency with tax authority that was not elected). This level of nonsense is only possible because vehicles taxes and fees can be enforced at time of required registration. I believe I read that CA is now tracking shipping invoices so the same nonsense can apply to other goods. There is no morality in taxation.

Now back to the main topic. As a small business owner who builds little gizmos in my garage for the pleasure of other car enthusiasts, I can tell you the overhead of tracking 40ish different taxing scenarios is crippling. Thankfully for me personally I don't think I will trip any limits in other states. But I can sure as shit tell you that I will do everything I can to stay below the thresholds. My prediction for the NIB pinball market is that as a consumer you will see your out of pocket costs jump from 1) your distributor enforcing the new sales tax collection 2) raised costs to deal with the burden of tracking, collecting and submitting taxes to each state they are sold. You should also expect to see less availability as people just say eff it, not worth selling machines to CA or WA or wherever it sucks the most. Thankfully there is a good NW distributor in OR, so that may be a couple more scenic drives a year. That is until the put up boarder crossing checks for goods transfer....

One question I still have is if the state limits on business entities or on individual business owners? What would stop an owner from setting up several individuals businesses that would not trip the minimums?

A side comment on our friends to the north...I sell quite a bit of my gizmos across the boarder. I would say 90% of the time I get the request to misrepresent the value of the goods on the custom form because Canadian customs and VAT (I think that's what it is?) is too high. That always make me chuckle.

This is a good topic that all US citizens should pay attention to. Tell your friends, tell your neighbors.

#463 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Would George Washington pay an online sales tax?

goddamn that's funny. Thank you for that.

#468 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

NO - 'what' and 'when' is state specific. Again, see this page for a summary of the topic and the specific for each state - https://blog.taxjar.com/economic-nexus-laws
    Texas is scheduled to get on the train come October 2019
    The idea of trade-in reducing value is based on your state laws on sales taxes. The trade-in topic is specific to autos... so unlikely.

"When does it start" is even trickier than that. Each state can decide when tripping the threshold requires state registration and tax collection. In some cases it is based on previous year's sales. Some cases it applies to current year sales. Sometimes it applies to previous OR current. So just because a state starts official enforcement April1, it could take some time for a distributor to trigger the threshold. Then again, it could have already tripped from sales last year and would apply immediately.

It's also fun to note that currently 3 states have a much lower threshold for notice and report law for business. That means in OK, PA, and WA if a business sells less than 200 items but more than $10k gross they are required to either collect tax or report on you to your state. That means the state has a record of things you are not voluntarily reporting use tax on. These were in place before this recent SCOTUS decision. So be prepared for nasty-grams in the mail.

The trade-in scenario is also interesting. If you only pay cash on $1500 of a NIB sale regardless of what the actual value of the item is, you should only have $1500 worth of taxes collected. Now when that distributor sells your used game for $5k, the next buyer pays the sales tax on that item. That's how I see it working. Tax is collected either way, but only for the cash value paid. That's how I would expect it to work. Although you should never take tax advice from an engineer

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-new-pinball-purchase-will-be-taxed-?tu=RobF and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.