(Topic ID: 233111)

2019 New Pinball purchase will be taxed.

By mnpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 154 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SadSack
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nexxus01.jpg
    ADD58E60-9590-4CF6-ACA5-244036415AE5 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1778 (resized).PNG
    9cd06f371223d3bd9ce1c6f24425344b--seinfeld-amber (resized).jpg
    IMG_1777 (resized).PNG
    19A6C2D6-5926-41FF-951D-F236479B5F1A (resized).jpeg
    nonprofits (resized).jpg
    20180830_155352 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E45E7B01-C64D-47AF-9C91-148666BBC3F9 (resized).jpeg
    mv4eVMY (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    Dude.gif

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.
    #201 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Typically when people take that stance I suggest they are free to pay double because Uncle Sam won't turn them away.

You could point them here:

https://www.pay.gov/public/form/start/23779454

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/gift/gift.htm

https://fiscal.treasury.gov/public/gifts-to-government.html

They are welcome to make a donation to the government.

#202 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The top “1 percent ers..” pay 40% of the total federal income tax collected
    The top 10% pays 71% of the total
    The bottom 45% pay Zero Federal income tax
    Fact: No matter how you slice it rate wise, you aren’t squeezing any more juice out of the “rich”. They will plan around it or move
    Need to look at 1/2 the population that pays ZERO
    When you lower taxes, oh wait, unemployment goes to record lows AND wages rise, including the minimum wage across the country and voluntarily for Amazon, Walmart, etc
    You want to ration Healthcare? Move to Canada
    Many of you should be applauding these sales taxes, but you only want higher taxes as long as it doesn’t apply to you!

The top 10 percent have NO IDEA how bad the bottom 45 percent have it. Pay people a good living wage and they will be more then happy to contribute their share of taxes.

Can’t take blood from a stone.

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I'm just going to be the first to put this out there. I'm not paying $500-700 more in taxes for a Rihanna LE. A man has to draw the line somewhere.

You could stand under my tax-umbrella, ella ella, eh eh eh

(disclaimer - I did not dig through all the pages to see if this joke was already made)

#204 5 years ago

This much about paying sales tax on a toy. I'm stocking up on popcorn because most don't quite understand how bad the new tax code really is. Personally I know it will cost me another $3k than last year and people are freaking out about $500.

#205 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

This much about paying sales tax on a toy. I'm stocking up on popcorn because most don't quite understand how bad the new tax code really is. Personally I know it will cost me another $3k than last year and people are freaking out about $500.

Well yeah, you live in CA. Best state in the US for new legislation. Damn you straws!!!

#206 5 years ago

@non Americans on here claiming we have a failed system:
    We, as Americans, love to jab each other and complain about our system. That shouldn't be taken to mean that we don't realize we live in the best place there is to live on the planet. Our "failed system" has people worldwide wanting to enjoy the freedoms that we have. While no system is perfect, anyone casting stones at ours from outside probably already knows that for every flaw we may have, we have so much more that we appreciate and are grateful for.

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

We, as Americans, love to jab each other and complain about our system. That shouldn't be taken to mean that we don't realize we live in the best place there is to live on the planet. Our "failed system" has people worldwide wanting to enjoy the freedoms that we have. While no system is perfect, anyone casting stones at ours from outside probably already knows that for every flaw we may have, we have so much more that we appreciate and are grateful for.

Shit, now you've done it! Even more will come now

#208 5 years ago

Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to buy pinball machines. tax free.

#209 5 years ago

I like Canadians and all, but taking advice from people who’s jaws are detached from their heads seems like a bad idea

19A6C2D6-5926-41FF-951D-F236479B5F1A (resized).jpeg19A6C2D6-5926-41FF-951D-F236479B5F1A (resized).jpeg
    #210 5 years ago

And yes I’m lightening the mood.

#211 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

And yes I’m lightening the mood.

Dick

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

The top 10 percent have NO IDEA how bad the bottom 45 percent have it. Pay people a good living wage and they will be more then happy to contribute their share of taxes.

You are wrongly assuming that many in the top 10% didn’t grow up or start out in the bottom 45%. Class warfare has never accomplished anything useful. I just read an article about how the share of the worlds population in the middle-class has risen sharply over the last 50 years and is continuing to grow, mainly due to China and India adopting their own brand of free market, i.e. capitalist, principles.

#213 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The top “1 percent ers..” pay 40% of the total federal income tax collected
    The top 10% pays 71% of the total
    The bottom 45% pay Zero Federal income tax
    Fact: No matter how you slice it rate wise, you aren’t squeezing any more juice out of the “rich”. They will plan around it or move
    Need to look at 1/2 the population that pays ZERO
    When you lower taxes, oh wait, unemployment goes to record lows AND wages rise, including the minimum wage across the country and voluntarily for Amazon, Walmart, etc
    You want to ration Healthcare? Move to Canada
    Many of you should be applauding these sales taxes, but you only want higher taxes as long as it doesn’t apply to you!

Percentage of income is what matters, not amount. Warren Buffett even admits that his secretary pays a higher percentage of her income than him. When passive income (capital gains) is taxed at a lower rate than active income (people who work for a living), things are skewed for the rich. Sales taxes or any flat taxes are regressive and affect working and poor classes more since a much higher percentage of their income needs to be spent in order to live.

As far as you or any other rich person "moving away", yeah right.

#214 5 years ago

The bottom 45% have no idea how bad people outside of the USA and Canada “have it”

Gimme a F ing break

#215 5 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Percentage of income is what matters, not amount. Warren Buffett even admits that his secretary pays a higher percentage of her income than him. When passive income (capital gains) is taxed at a lower rate than active income (people who work for a living), things are skewed for the rich. Sales taxes or any flat taxes are regressive and affect working and poor classes more since a much higher percentage of their income needs to be spent in order to live.

If I paid $500k in taxes you want more

I would fire people, instead of hiring them and paying them more IF

Taxes go up. Simple

See above, the top 1% already pays almost 50% of the individual tax base

What about that don’t you get?

It seems terrible to root for failure like many do

Unless you just want the rich to do everything for you

The fact that anybody here is bitching about taxes is ridiculous.

Go live in a 3rd world country. Good luck. I’m not your Daddy

#216 5 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

And his secretary likely makes well over $250k a year.

And the “rich” are largely pension funds and 401k’s owned by the “working” class.

#217 5 years ago

All I know is that one of my cousins in New Hampshire might be joining the pinball hobby soon

#218 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

If I paid $500k in taxes you want more
    I would fire people, instead of hiring them and paying them more IF
    Taxes go up. Simple
    See above, the top 1% already pays almost 50% of the individual tax base
    What about that don’t you get?

I know there's lots of people talking here, but I think the point is being missed. No one ultimately cares how much you pay in taxes. They care about what THEY pay in taxes. You say the rich pay 50% in taxes....I'm not rich and I pay nearly 50% in taxes. That 50% impacts me WAY more than it hurts someone making 100's of millions more than me, even if the number of zeros is different.

The ultimate question since you seem to be so pro-more-tax is this. What number do you consider enough? Because NO one should be for more taxes unless you're a politician.

#219 5 years ago

I just wanted to add a comment to this discussion. After reading the first page and realizing this is a state by state deal, I was curious what North Carolinas rule is. The rule for a business on whether they have to collect sales tax for North Carolina residents is if they sell $100,000 in goods or 200 items.

So couldn't each distributor let everyone know on the phone or in a newsletter how much remaining 'cap room' they have to each state? That way the distributor could tell me if they will have to collect sales tax and I could base my decision off of that. Of course, this would tie their hands and once they got their quota, they would be done selling to that state as they couldnt easily get tax from those who already bought.

If you're a distributor, would you go with my plan to help customers out by not charging tax and potentially hurting your sales by limiting how many you could sell to each state?

#220 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The bottom 45% have no idea how bad people outside of the USA and Canada “have it”
    Gimme a F ing break

I don’t think I get what your saying here.

I commented that the discrepancy between the elite and poor in America is greater then most of the elite recognize.

Your rebuttal is that the poor in your country are doing better then then the poor in (3rd world nations?). How is that a just comparison. People are starving, but they should just be happy to be there and not want a better life?

Saying your poor are better then other poor won’t win you any nice guy awards.

#221 5 years ago

I commented that the discrepancy between the elite and poor in America is greater then most of the elite recognize.
    Your rebuttal is that the poor in your country are doing better then then the poor in (3rd world nations?). How is that a just comparison. People are starving, but they should just be happy to be there and not want a better life?

That's the problem. The really rich (and those who never had to work for it) completely lose perspective. I'm not trying to hate. I don't know any of you, and I know not all rich people are bad. but don't come at me like I'm some welfare check holder.

#222 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

That's the problem. The really rich (and those who never had to work for it) completely lose perspective. I'm not trying to hate. I don't know any of you, and I know not all rich people are bad. but don't come at me like I'm some welfare check holder.

Most that make over 250k a year don’t understand how bad the struggle is when you make 30k; and 250k a year does not make you rich.

#223 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

I just wanted to add a comment to this discussion. After reading the first page and realizing this is a state by state deal, I was curious what North Carolinas rule is. The rule for a business on whether they have to collect sales tax for North Carolina residents is if they sell $100,000 in goods or 200 items.
    So couldn't each distributor let everyone know on the phone or in a newsletter how much remaining 'cap room' they have to each state? That way the distributor could tell me if they will have to collect sales tax and I could base my decision off of that. Of course, this would tie their hands and once they got their quota, they would be done selling to that state as they couldnt easily get tax from those who already bought.
    If you're a distributor, would you go with my plan to help customers out by not charging tax and potentially hurting your sales by limiting how many you could sell to each state?

These are such high dollar items it would hit that 100k pretty fast.

#224 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I know there's lots of people talking here, but I think the point is being missed. No one ultimately cares how much you pay in taxes. They care about what THEY pay in taxes. You say the rich pay 50% in taxes....I'm not rich and I pay nearly 50% in taxes. That 50% impacts me WAY more than it hurts someone making 100's of millions more than me, even if the number of zeros is different.
    The ultimate question since you seem to be so pro-more-tax is this. What number do you consider enough? Because NO one should be for more taxes unless you're a politician.

You don’t pay 50% in federal income tax.

That’s ignorance

#225 5 years ago

More
    The top 10 percent have NO IDEA how bad the bottom 45 percent have it.

Not neccessarily true. I know several multi millionaires that were raised far poorer than you can ever imagine so they know trust me on that. They were literally what people call "dirt poor". Not many clothes, no indoor plumbing or toilet, no heat other than a fire that they had to keep going all night, no food to eat other than what they raised etc. When they got of age they worked their asses off and became wealthy.

It really doesn't matter though how someone becomes wealthy or if they dont know what its like to be poor. Thats none of your business or concern. Its ok to be envious about it but you really need to lose the hate toward rich people and America also while you're at it. It says a lot about the kind of person that you are.

#226 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

You don’t pay 50% in federal income tax.
    That’s ignorance

I've NEVER said that, and incidentally, neither do you, so I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

#227 5 years ago

You aren’t entitled to anything

Cell phones and High Def TVs?

The only people starving are the homeless camps set up in San Francisco and other limo lib camps

Sorry but there will always be some with more stuff

That doesn’t mean anything if you are happy and it shouldn’t.

Like I said, if you are in the discussion about taxing pinball machines then you have ZERO complaints

#228 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

LOL

Read what you wrote.

BS

#229 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The only people starving are the homeless camps set up in San Francisco and other limo lib camps

Well I commend you for not going totally off the rails until now.

#230 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

People dont believe this. They think those evil rich people don't pay taxes at all.

Between income tax, sales tax, personal use tax, payroll tax, and property taxes we can pay over 70% in taxes a year.

And they say, we don’t pay anything.

#231 5 years ago

I've been an eBay and Amazon seller for almost 20 years. I've been following ongoing discussions on this issue on the Amazon selling forums for years.

What the states are trying to do is claim a seller has an economic nexus in their state. Many states so far are going with the 200 transaction or 100,000 revenue criteria to determine your nexus.

It's easy to reach the 200 transaction limit on smaller items. I sold around 3500 items on Amazon last year, and around 350 of them were to California. California is sending out threatening letters to sellers about collecting tax this year and potentially even going after back taxes to the first time you sold something to a buyer in their state. Some sellers are registering for sales tax only to then be confronted and told they have to file income taxes in the state as well since they are now a registered business. Can you imagine a small seller having to file sales and income taxes in up to 50 states a year? I hate to do it, but I'm going to scale back on transactions this year in an attempt to avoid the 200 limit. I'll eliminate sales of items that might only make me a couple dollars profit each to do so.

There are services such as TaxJar that claim to make this whole process easier on us, but they fail to notify people of the income tax possibilities and the fact that once you register for a sales tax license in the state, you're screwed. These services charge a monthly fee and a filing fee for each state you have to file in. It can easily cost thousands of dollars a year for the privilege of filing your sales tax.

Some of these state taxes people are noticing automated on Amazon and PayPal are through the marketplace facilitator tax. In those cases, Amazon or PayPal is collecting and remitting the sales tax for the seller. That's the only way this is going to work without putting an undue burden on small businesses. Sellers are begging California to implement this, but they haven't done so yet.

#232 5 years ago
    IMG_1777 (resized).PNGIMG_1777 (resized).PNG
    #233 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

LOL
    Read what you wrote.
    BS

Uh you might wanna try reading comprehension or read my earlier posts. I said total tax burden. The rich do NOT pay 50% in federal income tax, so I assumed we were talking the same thing.

Anyway, you avoided my actual question to try to pick apart what I said (falsely), so clearly we should just quit responding.

#234 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Exactly. I don't know many people personally on here either. But I will tell you this. The idea of people pulling themselves up by the bootstraps and becoming rich in America is an exploded myth. Most were born on 3rd base and thought they hit a triple. People need to stop pretending like the exception is the norm.

And now that Iceman has finally officially exposed himself for what you could only speculate about before with the "limo lib camp" comment. Those comments belong on Breitbart, not here.

#235 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Uh you might wanna try reading comprehension or read my earlier posts. I said total tax burden. The rich do NOT pay 50% in federal income tax, so I assumed we were talking the same thing.
    Anyway, you avoided my actual question to try to pick apart what I said (falsely), so clearly we should just quit responding.

Right. You would think that basic reading comprehension would be a prerequisite for being a self-made rich guy.

#236 5 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

The idea of people pulling themselves up by the bootstraps and becoming rich in America is an exploded myth.

The American dream has been a lie for years, most will never become millionaires, but as long as they keep believing everything will be ok.

#237 5 years ago

The American dream has been a lie for years, most will never become millionaires, but as long as they keep believing everything will be ok.

Many got it from daddy and then go around preaching that if they can do it, anyone can.

#238 5 years ago

You seem to have way too much animosity toward your neighbor to the south.

#239 5 years ago

There you go hating on America again. Maybe time for you to exit this thread.

P.s. USA has the most millionaires and billionaires.

#240 5 years ago

Carlin sums it up nicely

#241 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

There you go hating on America again. Maybe time for you to exit this thread.
    P.s. USA has the most millionaires and billionaires.

Nothing says a free exchange of ideas like shutting someone out that you disagree with.

#242 5 years ago

No truer words.
    George got it for sure.

#243 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Just because someone posting on here is from Canada doesn't mean his opinions represent anyone other than himself, definitely not all of Canada, some of us like the US just fine. Not as much as Canada, but the US is alright. In general though I'd say there is much to be admired about any country where citizens have free time, cash and the ability to go onto a pinball forum and bitch about how expensive toys have gotten.

As for best place to live on the planet, that is Calgary from about May to October. Other than that I'd rather be somewhere warmer.

#244 5 years ago

Uggg I come to pinside to get away from this shit. Can we pull the plug on this thread?

#245 5 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Just because someone posting on here is from Canada doesn't mean his opinions represent anyone other than himself, definitely not all of Canada, some of us like the US just fine. Not as much as Canada, but the US is alright. In general though I'd say there is much to be admired about any country where citizens have free time, cash and the ability to go onto a pinball forum and bitch about how expensive toys have gotten.
    As for best place to live on the planet, that is Calgary from about May to October. Other than that I'd rather be somewhere warmer.

I get that. I never said anything about anyone from Canada, but @those claiming ours is a failed system.

#246 5 years ago

All systems are failed.

#247 5 years ago

Nothing like a tax discussion to get everyone riled up!

#248 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

All systems are failed.

Don't like it? Mars is that way --> ...or that way ^^...depending.

#249 5 years ago

I lived in Canada for ten years. Very socialistic system and very high taxes overall. Much higher that anywhere in the US.

#250 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

All I know is that one of my cousins in New Hampshire might be joining the pinball hobby soon

DaveH for President!!!!

There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-new-pinball-purchase-will-be-taxed-/page/5?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.