(Topic ID: 233111)

2019 New Pinball purchase will be taxed.

By mnpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 586 posts
  • 154 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SadSack
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nexxus01.jpg
    ADD58E60-9590-4CF6-ACA5-244036415AE5 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1778 (resized).PNG
    9cd06f371223d3bd9ce1c6f24425344b--seinfeld-amber (resized).jpg
    IMG_1777 (resized).PNG
    19A6C2D6-5926-41FF-951D-F236479B5F1A (resized).jpeg
    nonprofits (resized).jpg
    20180830_155352 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E45E7B01-C64D-47AF-9C91-148666BBC3F9 (resized).jpeg
    mv4eVMY (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    Dude.gif

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

This statement is the exact reason people from other countries don't seem to understand. When you charge more money to consumers for the same product you will have less buyers for that product who will then go spend those dollars on lesser priced or lesser taxed items.

When taxes go up, buying power goes down.

I can't imagine what it's like in the EU with the VAT at 20%. When I see European visitors here in the US, they go completely bananas buying stuff (especially clothes) since the taxes are much lower here in the US when compared to Europe.

Quoted from rogerdodger:

The new taxes will absolutely increase the value/price of private party pin sales on the secondary market.

Not necessarily. A tax does not technically increase the value of something. It's just an extra expense and artificial increase. Whenever I see tax tacked on to a purchase, I have to figure that into the total amount that I'm actually willing to spend. I've walked away from many purchases just because the cost was too much with tax added into the total.

Quoted from barakandl:

I sold something on eBay to a person in Washington state (i'm in Ohio) and eBay hit them with a tax. It was $10.80 tax on a $120 item. First time i have seen it.
    ebay.com link[quoted image]

I've had it happen to me once as a buyer when the seller was in the same state. Cost me an extra $20. Blech.

Quoted from flashinstinct:

I guess it boils down to a different point of view. I pay taxes for things happening all over my province for the betterment of all citizens that live in it.

That's of course assuming your dollars are spent wisely.

Personally, I'd rather have the buying power. The way I see it, it helps the economy in a more direct way. I've never seen a tax increase actually help boost sales. Typically they do the exact opposite.

#102 5 years ago

Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon have no state-level sales taxes

Time to go into the shipping depot business. The virtual population of these states are just about to jump! Okay, nobody lives around Montana...

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Time to go into the shipping depot business. The virtual population of these states are just about to jump! Okay, nobody lives around Montana...

A a good number of exotic car purchases in Georgia were facilitated through LLCs in Montana until a crackdown recently.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

A a good number of exotic car purchases in Georgia were facilitated through LLCs in Montana until a crackdown recently.

Yeah, I could see that on $100,000+ items, but we're only talking expensive not EXPENSIVE.

Kind of surprised that would work for cars though, they bust you on the tax when you register the car where you live. Maybe those guys just put them in their showroom, or fake a local invoice.

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

You should have been praying tax on them

Now a Praying tax!

Is nothing sacred any more?

rd

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've had it happen to me once as a buyer when the seller was in the same state. Cost me an extra $20. Blech.

When customers who live my state, Ohio, buy something I have eBay and PayPal set to collect the sales tax on my behalf which I have to pay. That tax money goes to me and then I pay the state of Ohio. You can see this before finalizing the transaction.

For out of state people there has never been extra sales tax and this was the first time I seen it on eBay. The extra tax collected for this Washington state person never actually hit my paypal account (like it does for Ohio tax which I then pay). It was all behind the paypal/ebay scene.

As far as I am concerned I collect Ohio Sales tax and pay it as appropriate. People in other states I think it should be up to the buyer to properly report and pay taxes. If I have to keep track of that for every state it would be a cluster F. Taxes suck but its part of doing business... if I am liable for all these different state's taxes I hope eBay and PayPal take care of it. Cutting a tax check to 50 states... ugh no thank you pls.

As far as the taxes hurting my business... I don't think it will be major reduction in sales... Still sucks tho. No one likes taxes.

#107 5 years ago

Most of our taxes go to sports teams, which is why you haven't won a Stanley Cup in 25 years you Canadian smart asses.

#108 5 years ago

Everybody relax. I know it looks bad but this is in fact a great victory for retailers and consumers!

It’s win win!!!
    E45E7B01-C64D-47AF-9C91-148666BBC3F9 (resized).jpegE45E7B01-C64D-47AF-9C91-148666BBC3F9 (resized).jpeg

#109 5 years ago

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
    If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
    If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
    If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

#110 5 years ago

This is going to be an administrative nightmare, not just on the businesses but on the states as well.

They will all of a sudden be getting tax payments from tens of thousands of businesses all over the country and will have to have the staff to not only deal with just the ones with zero problems, but also staff to deal with the questions, messed up payments, bounced checks, etc....

What a disaster.

#111 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This is going to be an administrative nightmare, not just on the businesses but on the states as well.

Agreed. Not only are taxes in each state different, but some don't have state sales tax at all and in some states the taxes are different by county and even by city. Some are even taxed differently based on what you are buying. Now, multiply that by 50 and that's the magnitude of this.

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

great victory for retailers and consumers!

It’s win win!!!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #113 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

They will all of a sudden be getting tax payments from tens of thousands of businesses all over the country and will have to have the staff to not only deal with just the ones with zero problems, but also staff to deal with the questions, messed up payments, bounced checks, etc....
    What a disaster.

Yup and just wait, a business will need to apply for and submit returns, zero or not, to every tax authority. Don’t submit a return? The govt will “provide” a doomage estimate and applicable bill. Think it’s bad now? Wait til ya get 1,500 diff tax bills for thousands each! We’re circling the drain boys!

#114 5 years ago

I think we should all just make ourselves operators, take a tax write off for depreciation on our machines, and get the money back... but then we have to start paying to play our own machines, but, heck if all I do is pull the quarters out of the coin box and slip them back in the slot, then pay myself to do this, and take all my business expenses and deducions, that means my travel and accommodations to pinball shows would now be deductible too, then why are we not doing this?
    Oh yeah, you have to show a profit or they consider your a hobby. Well if my revenue is more than my expenses, that means I have a profit and have to pay taxes on that, but I can adjust the profit by how much I play my machines, so just enough profit to be considered a business, but not too much to incur more tax.

Wait a second... that’s what you operators are really doing isn’t it? Making money AND paying less taxes AND playing pinball for free. You bastards.

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Everybody relax. I know it looks bad but this is in fact a great victory for retailers and consumers!
    It’s win win!!!
    [quoted image]

and I was hoping for the lose lose scenario ... imagine online buyers not having to pay nor online retailers having to collect. So much for progress.

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Now a Praying tax!
    Is nothing sacred any more?

rd

You got me, I am out of my mind on cold medicine at the moment.

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

That’s one way to look at it. I differ in my point of view, not all taxes are useless.
    I could think of a hundred things that America could improve in your country with more tax money. Alas, instead of using it for good social programs or schools, or roads ect... it will probably be used for something stupid like military spending or border control, or just used to line the fat pockets of the rich in your failed system. Yes, I believe that any country as rich as the USA, with poverty as high as the USA is a failed system.

20180830_155352 (resized).png20180830_155352 (resized).png
    #118 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

You aren't kidding..... In some states like Wisconsin, it isn't just local municipalities either... On my tax bill, I have two State Colleges on my tax roll too. When our outgoing Governer took office, he "reduced" my state taxes. In turn, to make up for this move, the two State colleges on my tax bill jacked up their taxes to cover the State funding reduction. My tax bill went up $200 for the first year these State taxes were "reduced". I saved $19 on my state taxes those, so I have that going for me.

Same here. We got the Tax cut but local government raised property and school taxes and on top of that the feds raised interest rates. I'll get more back from income tax but paying more to the state now. Something seems fishy.

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Same here. We got the Tax cut but local government raised property and school taxes and on top of that the feds raised interest rates. I'll get more back from income tax but paying more to the state now. Something seems fishy.

Yeah it’s almost as if the bullshit tax cuts we all got aren’t really gonna help most of us.

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah it’s almost as if the bullshit tax cuts we all got aren’t really gonna help most of us.

Your just cluing in now?

#121 5 years ago

Your just cluing in now?

I do believe that is grade A CrazyLevy sarcasm you just fell for

#122 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Agreed. Not only are taxes in each state different, but some don't have state sales tax at all and in some states the taxes are different by county and even by city. Some are even taxed differently based on what you are buying. Now, multiply that by 50 and that's the magnitude of this.

It's not that complicated: this law is just about collecting the state sales tax, not county or municipal taxes.

#123 5 years ago

The whole economy is out of whack. The 1% just got an enormous tax cut. The country is double/triple taxed - and the majority of the rest of the peoples total tax burden is 50% when you account for all taxes. Sure, it goes to 'good' causes, but the reality is they waste so much money due to the massive amounts of red tape and agendas. It's hard to be happy about paying more tax at this point.

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

The whole economy is out of whack. The 1% just got an enormous tax cut. The country is double/triple taxed - and most peoples total tax burden is 50%. Sure, it goes to 'good' causes, but the reality is they waste so much money due to the massive amounts of red tape and agendas. It's hard to be happy about paying more tax at this point.

This, exactly. I work for a school district and I can assure you that a majority of the money we get is wasted every year. Out of an 81 million dollar budget, my school district spent almost 18 million just on lawyers. I teach special education and we have more administrators in my district than teachers. Our classroom budget for the year- $200. We are taxed so much out here in California that you would think the state would be amazing. Instead, it’s turning into one big homeless camp. I don’t trust our government to use the taxes effectively, so I always vote against any increase. This is bad news for the pinball world.

#125 5 years ago

Were 13% sales tax on everything here. It’s kinda hard listening to people bitch about having to finally pay sales taxes. It’s just the way of life for lots of people.
    Welcome to the rest of the world.

You also have universal health coverage and first work infrastructure unlike many parts of the U.S.

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

100% wrong on fiscal issues as usual Levi

When people file their 2018 returns finally in April those “bullshit tax cuts” will come in handy for EVERYBODY

Now on a state level, there is a good reason why there is a mass exodus from high tax states like Cali, New Jersey, New York and Illinois to name a few to low tax state like Texas and Florida.

The problem with that is you F Ed up those states with your “bullshit” and now want to bring it to our states

#127 5 years ago

For those not willing to pay the tax, find one of the 4 states with no sales tax and have the item shipped to the Distro there and then drive to pick it up. My bet is those distros are going to become VERY popular with the folks in their surrounding states. It won't stop with Pinball either....you will see a lot more sales creep into those states.

Amazon has been collecting the local taxes for quite some time already. I wonder if they actually remitted them?....lol;

#128 5 years ago

On soapbox...

(edited by mod team)

Off soapbox...

#129 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

When people file their 2018 returns finally in April those “bullshit tax cuts” will come in handy for EVERYBODY
    Now on a state level, there is a good reason why there is a mass exodus from high tax states like Cali, New Jersey, New York and Illinois to name a few to low tax state like Texas and Florida.
    The problem with that is you F Ed up those states with your “bullshit” and now want to bring it to our states

Lived in Chicago for the past 7 years and then took a promotion back home. I shudder to think of all of the tax money I paid to that state, and they still have some of the worst schools and worst debt in the nation. Not uncommon for an average 3 bedroom ranch in the burbs to be 13k to 15K a year just in property tax. I paid for schools neither I nor any of my family will ever use, and to open an even bigger can of worms, I would love to see schools all privatized....did I just say that? Yes I did, and I am married to a teacher.......break out the rolling pin! lol

#130 5 years ago

My client is on his way back to Lebanon tomorrow. He is there building new US embassies around the region for the next several years with dollars appropriated from the prior administration

$700million contract that they could do for $200 million

Why? Govt decided it wanted “opulence” and grandeur

Of course. It’s government. And the reason why the wealthiest counties in America all surround Washington DC

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

There will be no tax returns since the government will still be shut down.

#133 5 years ago

So you guys are stating that if a pin is sold on a private basis, that the seller has to charge the tax? How does the gov't collect it?

Surely you guys are complaining that when buying a game (or anything else) through a company or online seller like E-bay, that a tax is charged... Right.

#134 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

So you guys are stating that if a pin is sold on a private basis, that the seller has to charge the tax? How does the gov't collect it?

Just guessing the person must claim it as income on their taxes?

#135 5 years ago

You would actually be surprised how many non Libs live here in this fucked up state

#136 5 years ago
    Quoted from imagamejunky:

You would actually be surprised how many non Libs live here in this fucked up state

A lot of aholes live there too!

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There will be no tax returns since the government will still be shut down.

I hope so. Shut the whole M fer down as long as the politicians don’t get paid.

#138 5 years ago
    Quoted from imagamejunky:

On soapbox...
    Wonderful!
    Now we can pay even MORE taxes so the F-ing libs can give it away to the scumbag homeless, scumbag drug addicts, and scumbags who sit on their asses instead of actually working!
    Off soapbox...

Nice ta meet you, throughout my life I’ve fallen into more than one of those categories

#139 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Surely you guys are complaining that when buying a game through a company or online seller like E-bay, that a tax is charged... Right.

If anybody collects tax on a private sale they are Nucking Futs

Looks like another reason to wait for secondary sales

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I hope so. Shut the whole M fer down as long as the politicians don’t get paid.

You know the politicians are still check collecting right? They also get health insurance that many others don't receive as well..... I know you knew all of this, but with all of your previous posts in this thread, I wasn't sure if you were sober since it is so early in the day, or if you were posting via one of your classic online drinking binges.

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Just guessing the person must claim it as income on their taxes?

That would be an almost impossible way to collect a tax. Selling your old mower, wife sells her home made quilts she makes as a hobby. etc. All year one would have to keep track of everything they sold.

#142 5 years ago

Nice ta meet you, throughout my life I’ve fallen into more than one of those categories

And I am sure it was as luxurious as all these "hard working" think you had it as well.... I can't think of anything I would want more than being a homeless drug addict. Sounds like a ton of fun.....

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

That would be an almost impossible way to collect a tax.

Yeah I don't know...can't imagine anyone doing it. Ever.

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

That would be an almost impossible way to collect a tax. Selling your old mower, wife sells her home made quilts she makes as a hobby. etc. All year one would have to keep track of everything the sold.

Well it is the reality, it just doesn't happen because it is so hard to track. The same with the out of state sales. They are just now getting around to trying to force in legislature since it is 'easier' to track those type of sales than private sales.

#145 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Well it is the reality, it just doesn't happen because it is so hard to track. The same with the out of state sales. They are just now getting around to trying to force in legislature since it is 'easier' to track those type of sales than private sales.

Any legitimate (registered) business should be charging a sales tax if it is a law to charge the tax. So in the past companies like Wayfare or Amazon weren't charging a local sales tax. Now they have to collect it.

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

You know the politicians are still check collecting right? They also get health insurance that many others don't receive as well..... I know you knew all of this, but with all of your previous posts in this thread, I wasn't sure if you were sober since it is so early in the day, or if you were posting via one of your classic online drinking binges.

Lol

Yeah that comes later

I can’t say what I really think

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

The whole economy is out of whack. The 1% just got an enormous tax cut. The country is double/triple taxed - and the majority of the rest of the peoples total tax burden is 50% when you account for all taxes. Sure, it goes to 'good' causes, but the reality is they waste so much money due to the massive amounts of red tape and agendas. It's hard to be happy about paying more tax at this point.

Theres only a few states and income brackets that would fall into a 50%+ tax. Yes a lot is wasted, but 50% is a hugely exaggerated for most Americans. The average is closer to 15%.

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Theres only a few states and income brackets that would fall into a 50%+ tax. Yes a lot is wasted, but 50% is a hugely exaggerated for most Americans. The average is closer to 15%.

I think he's talking about ALL taxes -- gas tax, sales tax, property tax, etc.

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

I guess it boils down to a different point of view. I pay taxes for things happening all over my province for the betterment of all citizens that live in it. Same things goes for our healthcare. I pay taxes so that someone can get heart surgery, or an operation to get a donated kidney for free. If roles were switched I would appreciate the same if ever I needed healthcare help. I'm completely fine with that.

Problem here in the states is we 're taxed plenty already and a lot of it is either wasted, unaccounted for, or gifted via crony capitalism. And "they" (won't name names) always prefer to raise taxes versus cutting wasteful and crooked spending. A great man once said "We don't have a revenue problem. We have a spending problem." Many of us recognize that and for that reason are firmly against more taxation, which includes this new tax. By the way, my state is considering a tax on texting.

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

I think he's talking about ALL taxes -- gas tax, sales tax, property tax, etc.

Which still gets you no were near 50%. It will vary per state greatly but the national average is still close to 15%

There are 586 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-new-pinball-purchase-will-be-taxed-/page/3?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.