Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,334 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by rwmech5
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif
    77C39292-D63C-4078-9D52-300569DD8EC9 (resized).png
    28769D05-9042-4282-B49C-307874BAA078 (resized).jpeg
    C1278CE0-45B5-4F2C-ACE2-46BB17A49532 (resized).png
    F4C174DC-06C9-4889-A51E-C07A31071E94.gif
    945D48DC-B341-4ABE-BF2C-235F7552901C (resized).jpeg
    12F05A2F-495C-454D-97CC-2C680CAE08EE (resized).jpeg
    81A581E7-EE18-4034-816D-E81CF0ACFE79 (resized).jpeg
    F63A9B45-CC5A-4200-82EB-FA04FD2D1040 (resized).jpeg
    E1AC5843-B32D-4F9A-A408-6717604B3477 (resized).jpeg
    35D562EE-27A2-463B-8F83-DD78206380A1 (resized).jpeg
    5792C8DA-7991-46EE-AC84-D6DA4DCCB669 (resized).jpeg
    26CABF0F-7879-42E3-999D-CF0473C28046 (resized).jpeg
    2765B6D5-4159-432F-AC4B-0DDD4C359F18 (resized).jpeg
    EE9DF3EF-2EAF-488F-939A-D8AFE00EE82E (resized).jpeg
    4D0F00DF-D3A8-425E-ABE3-55CC0BE2F9AD (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pickle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

451 posts in this topic match your search for posts by pickle. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #49 4 years ago

ALTUVE looks much bigger on my TV.....

ABC2C263-9B51-48FA-AF8B-4CA22A4E0235 (resized).jpegABC2C263-9B51-48FA-AF8B-4CA22A4E0235 (resized).jpeg
    #58 4 years ago

The truth is the Astros let game 1 slip from them. They pulled it out last night. Today is a bull pen day so anything can happen. Astros need this to tie it up....but if you aren’t playing the best you can’t win and though the Astros are the better team they are not playing like it. The Nats are a very good team. Hope the Astros get on track and win it all!

2 months later
    #104 4 years ago

Getting caught is key. Everyone was doing it and MLB put everyone on notice to stop in 2017. Someone was butt hurt and blew the whistle on the Astros. It was pretty obvious. Many were doing/did it so get over it.

Sign stealing has been part of the game for a long time. And while it can give an advantage it’s not as big of an advantage as people think. Batters still have to hit the ball.

If you can steal signs by what you SEE ON THE FIELD then good on the teams that pick up on it. No electronic devices period. Why is there a replay room players have access to? That’s the question that should be asked. MLB only has themselves to blame for allowing that.....what did they think was going on.....MLB knew just like the roids. A replay room for umpires and maybe 1 official from each team that can view footage to advise if the coach should argue a call. That’s all MLB should have EVER allowed and this wouldn’t be an issue.

STEAL IT BACK 2020!!!
    GO ASTROS!!!

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Really? Way to justify cheating man.

So you are justifying the teams that did but are not be investigated/punished? It’s not what they did but HOW they did it with use of electronic devices.

Any team is free to communicate what they see with their EYES.

MLB knew lots of teams were stealing signs and is why they sent a memo in 2017 asking all teams to stop.

People have no common sense on this. It’s bad yes but this goes so deep into lots of teams. MLB just wants it to stop and move forward.

#132 4 years ago

The list of teams stealing signs is growing so everyone that wants to dog just the Astros can fuck off. Get the facts. LOTS of teams if not all of them were doing it. Not defending them either so don’t go there. There are stories going back decades starting to come out how teams did it years ago so this is nothing new. MLB should be blamed for only sending out a memo to the teams in 2017 telling them to stop. They knew it was going on with multiple teams and could have done more To end it but didn’t. The commissioner allowed this to escalate to this level.

And another point is if players suspected sign stealing was going on why not tell the umpire....isn’t that what players are supposed to do? You know why they didn’t is because they were stealing signs too most likely. This is a nightmare for MLB and they allowed it to happen.

Go Astros!!!
    STEAL IT BACK!!!

6 months later
    #314 3 years ago

This shortened season will have asterisk for the winnner.

Best idea might have been to have maybe a short 40 game warm up season to get players in shape and 30 team double elimination tournament. More for fun and the players to stay sharp and get paid a little. No true champ this year no matter how it plays out. Many injuries, players sitting out so most teams not playing the best they can.

#316 3 years ago

Props to pitching intentionally to hit people??? Any pitcher doing that should be banned for those actions. One wrong pitch intentional pitch can end a career. People need to grow up and be adults. No need to hate on the Astros as we know damn near every team steals signs. Astros took it overtly too far I would agree.

Let’s put you in the batters box and have pitches intentionally thrown to hit you and see how you like it. One mistake and you can end a guys career. If you could guarantee a player would only be hit in the back, butt, arm, leg, etc. then not as big a deal. Hurts like hell I am sure but if no injury consequence I get on field justice. But you have to draw a line for player’s safety. If this had been regular season the bench clearing would have been a brawl I bet.

#321 3 years ago

Players have always handed out punishment on the field. So yeah it was expected.

Not sure how MLB was supposed to handle it. If they really dug damn near every team would have to be punished. The list of fines/suspensions would be as bad as the steroid scandal. Would be very hard to find a single team that was not stealing signs. That’s why they stopped where they did.

Secondly pitchers in AL teams Or facing AL teams have only rare chances to get their turn in the batters box. If every pitcher batted they would get hit by pitches plenty. They should have their chance to get hit too if they want to dish it out.

#323 3 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

You'd a thought they would've been beating their secret trash can code to alert the batter of an incoming beaner.

Now that’s funny!!!

#324 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

This is sort of true. Every team was trying to gain an advantage and stealing signs. The league put all of the teams on notice to stop. The cheating incidents getting the attention were AFTER all the teams were put on notice to stop.
    I have no idea why pitchers, coaches, and catchers dont have radios, it would stop in a heartbeat.

Agree. There is so much technology to be used to not be overtly stealing signs. It’s not illegal but there are some rules on how you can do it.

And yeah a memo was sent. Not sure how serious any team took it but the Astros paid no attention. They had a chance to “stop”. But if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying!

#340 3 years ago

Just noticed there are fans at the Angels/Astros game. They are playing on the road in LA. Shocked they allowed fans with a couple teams having players test positive. If a few more teams have a couple cases this may end real quick.

If baseball struggles the NFL season may not be any better.

#342 3 years ago

And now I see the MLB commissioner has back pedaled and is now saying no reason to shut this season down.

If enough people test positive and have to be quarantined I don’t see how this can continue. There are only so many backup/minor league players you can backfill with before you run out or the talent on the field is just not competitive.

Will be interesting to watch.

2 weeks later
    #353 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

There were no fans at the Angel/Astros game.
    Fox has been playing with the virtual crowd.
    If you didnt notice they are always blurry and move a little when camera moves. They are fake blocks of fans from last years games and this is done in the control "board" so to speak. Hollywood magic. ( I hate the virtual crowd and fake crowd noise).
    Its just to fake.

Got ya. It did look pretty blurry. And the crowd noise was definitely pumped in for the TV. No way there was that much noise at the game.

Thanks for clarifying that!

#354 3 years ago

I agree with Whysnow this season is kind of a wash. No real clear champ. Short season. Lots of injuries. Players sitting out.

For the sake of just keeping the players active and paying them something I wish they would have done a short 40 game warmup season and ended with an all teams double elimination tournament.

2 months later
    #375 3 years ago
    CF5957D5-0156-4138-AE09-9D53C6502815 (resized).jpegCF5957D5-0156-4138-AE09-9D53C6502815 (resized).jpeg
    #377 3 years ago

It’s hard to be real excited about these playoffs. The short season doesn’t compare to the grind of a full season. I kind of like it because each game matters a little more. The playoff games with no breaks is interesting. It means teams have to use more players and not rely on 2-3 top pitchers over a 5 or 7 game series. Tough for every team. Pitching has been all over the place from really good to really bad.

The expanded playoffs I do like with a short season mainly because it offsets the short season where you can see teams rise up or collapse over 162 games. A 60 game season doesn’t really allow for that.

#378 3 years ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

Do or die today!

Yes it is! Can’t wait to see how it plays out. This is a unique season with Covid so it can never be fairly compared to a full season....but it has unique challenges that all teams have had to face.

#383 3 years ago

I like the “James Woods” voice we have on the ALCS games. That one guy sounds a lot like him.

We needs fans in the stands so we can get more Joe Buck Sucks.....that was hilarious.

#384 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

We miss having Vin Scully on the air for the Dodgers games. I liked Jon Miller when he was doing the Orioles.
    The boys in blue Dodged a bullet last night, but there's two more in the barrel yet. I'm betting they don't make it. And what if the 'Stros win it all with a sub-500 regular "season"? Playoffs get too much weight in almost every sport. "Preserving $u$pen$e" (and milking it) kicks out "overall performance."

Dodgers still have a chance. Would be an amazing story for Dodgers and Astros to come back. Odds are not good. And the playoffs are meant to be weighted. The NBA is a great example. The Rockets are a great regular season team. They are a horrible playoff team. Regular season just qualifies teams to compete for a championship even though the best team may not have made it. It happens. And in the playoffs even good/better teams get eliminated. That’s why we play the games and don’t award paper champions.

#385 3 years ago

Astros and Tampa pitching matchup could be good. Charlie Morton facing the Stro’s. Could not have asked for a better game 7 scenario.

#387 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

There are 3 guarantees in life, death, taxes, and Dusty Baker choking in the playoffs.

LMAO!!! Lots of people rooting for him but you are correct sir!

#392 3 years ago

Charlie Morton is a very good pitcher. He struggles at times like anyone but he has shined in big moments.

#395 3 years ago

Not sure but who is pitching but excited it’s another game 7. Houston fell flat which sucks because it would have been great to see Houston and LA. I don’t have a favorite tonight but we will soon find out who is going. Hoping for a good game.

1 week later
    #409 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I always love when a team with a $28M team salary beats a team with a $105M team salary.

Agree. Any owner that want a to buy a World Series can shell out a ton of money and assemble a team of stars and still fall short. Yankees have done this many times. Sometimes it works. But it is nice when teams just build a team and get hot at the right time.

#411 3 years ago

One last thing I will say is that only a true Astros fan can share my hate for the Dodgers goes back to 1986. I was just a kid then but at that time the Dodgers came in town to play the Astros. Tommy Lasorda was asked what he thought about the Astros being in first place. He said the Astros were just renting it. Well the first game of that series was no disappointment. We were at the game sitting in Centerfield. At the start of the game someone hung a sign in right field.....It was in the shape of a penis and it said Rent this Lasorda! As kid it was the funniest thing I had seen at a game. It was gone by the 3rd inning. So rivalries can be fun. Ok....that sign was probably in poor taste but it was funny.

No denying the talent the Dodgers have but would love to see Tampa win. Just to see Joe Kelly cry sour grapes some more.

7 months later
    #514 2 years ago

Damn…The Astros are doing better than I thought so far….a lot of season left. I think they need to shore up some relief/closing pitching and they could be tough come the playoffs if they are healthy.

#517 2 years ago

Good teams are supposed beat bad teams….but the Stro’s are crushing the Oriels. Hope they make a move to shore up the bullpen. They will need it against the better teams in the playoffs.

3 months later
    #579 2 years ago

Can’t wait for tomorrow to see if the Stro’s can get it together. Team is loaded with talent but gotta win when it counts. If the bats can get hot the pitching will take care of itself. If the bats go silent they have no chance. We don’t have the best pitching for tight games.

#581 2 years ago

Yeah….a little obvious. MLB should PERMANENTLY BAN ANY PLAYER for that. That’s a little blatant. He is a little bitch anyway. If he is so mad he should give his ring back and walk away from baseballas we all know the Red Sox and others did it as well. He is a hypocrite. Enough on the sign stealing. It happened. It’s in the past.

Go Stro’s!!!

#584 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Alternate take. I like it. And if everything the Red Sox did was fair game we'd all be pouring ketchup in our socks and talking about what heroes we were for it.

What…you like that a pitcher is intentionally throwing a ball 80-100mph at a players head that could injure or end a career? That is completely wrong on every level…that’s like intentionally taking out players knees in the NFL or NBA…you can hurt someone but you don’t end a career intentionally.

Now if you like the sign stealing I don’t have an issue with that…it’s been a part of baseball for a long time. And with all the cameras and stuff it’s harder for pitchers/catchers to disguise signs.

Back to the playoffs…

#586 2 years ago

The commentary is hilarious for sure!!!

As a fan I own it…they got caught. Doesn’t matter that sign stealing has been a part of the game for decades or that other teams were doing it. But you can’t dismiss that side either. It’s a debate that will come up for years. Regardless we finally got a WS win. The list of teams that would take a WS win and live with a sign stealing scandal is longer than those that wouldn’t I assure you that. Winning makes owners money…

#595 2 years ago
    Quoted from Walleyefisher:

Gratz Dodger fans, 107 wins should get into the playoffs. GL beating the Giants
    Astro fan looking to put it all behind them of course, let's just pretend it never happened. Look we have a new coach everything is fine. It does suck for the fans though as they did nothing wrong. Go White-Sox or any other team playing those cheating scum

You obviously read what you want. I said put the debate in the past. It happened. I said as a fan I own it. Happy we won the WS despite the sign stealing. Am I proud they did it….no because in 2017 they probably would have won it anyway….by far the Astros were loaded with talent at that time.

In fact my bathroom has a an Astros gift bag as the liner….I did that so people would get a laugh.

F31013F4-7C03-484D-A025-27BA66DBC581 (resized).jpegF31013F4-7C03-484D-A025-27BA66DBC581 (resized).jpeg
    #599 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinpin8990:

Dallas Keuchel left off the ALDS roster.
    Oof. Go Sox!

Only so many spots and if you are not performing your best sometimes you don’t make the cut…..maybe they want him to get some rest. Perhaps they feel they have enough pitching and don’t need him at the moment. The Astros are good but they have not been firing on all cylinders…it’s been up and down. The Astros bats are gonna have to show up in the playoffs. They don’t have the ace pitching staff they once had.

#606 2 years ago

It’s game day!!!!
    Bring it Sox!

8887E1DC-F100-4085-94F5-78843FF0AD53 (resized).jpeg8887E1DC-F100-4085-94F5-78843FF0AD53 (resized).jpeg
    #609 2 years ago

Let’s go Stro’s!!!

7DFCF58D-838D-4C82-BE2A-D3E6D3846F46 (resized).jpeg7DFCF58D-838D-4C82-BE2A-D3E6D3846F46 (resized).jpegA13FF1C0-3AF1-4368-9DB7-BC4191FFD9A0 (resized).jpegA13FF1C0-3AF1-4368-9DB7-BC4191FFD9A0 (resized).jpeg
    #610 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

If the Dodgers could beat the cardinals, giants, and astros in the same playoffs, that would make me very happy.

If the Dodgers could beat the Astros in the playoffs that would be the WS so I would be good with that….better to make it to a WS than not at all.

#611 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I searched and didn’t find another thread. Does anybody give a shit about baseball? I do. I think I speak for all of Pinside when I say lets go
    [quoted image]

Stro’s up 5-0….it ain’t over but looking good so far!

#614 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I like your attitude. Plus, I’d like to see Dusty Baker do well. I have fond memories of him as a kid.

Hey, from your seats, are you able to hear the garbage can from the astros dugout?

I am the guy that bangs the trashcan LOL!

Dusty Baker is well respected in baseball….if there is anyone deserving to be in a WS he is the guy….he ain’t got many years left as a coach. He is just so well regarded from anyone in baseball that has worked with him. That’s all you hear….nothing negative. Now you can critique his coaching and question a few choices but overall he knows what he is doing.

#620 2 years ago

Great game tonight! Too soon to get excited….need 2 more wins.
    McCullers was great tonight. He settled in early and did his part. Can’t ask anything more from a pitcher and he delivered.

#627 2 years ago

What a throw by ALTUVE!!! That’s the defense that wins games.

#629 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

One team is a good defensive team and the other is a bad one, the difference in this game and likely the series.

You sir are correct!

#635 2 years ago

It’s good to be hated!

#636 2 years ago

Tampa shut down Sale early….that is crazy. But Boston is making a game of it so it’s way to early to call this one. That’s what makes playoff baseball so good.

#640 2 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Red Sox coming back.

They are slugging it out for sure!

#642 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinpin8990:

Please tell me you're joking. Please?

Maybe not your current team….but this is no secret. It’s been covered by many people that this happened.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2020/01/18/ex-ace-says-tony-la-russa-had-white-sox-using-camera-to-steal-signs-in-80s/%3foutputType=amp

#652 2 years ago

I am ready for the LA/SF battle to continue. LA couldn’t get much going in game 1. There are both really good teams so can’t wait to see game 2.

#654 2 years ago

Where’s the rowdy crowd at tonight…need some smack talk in this thread. It’s the playoffs and you guys are too quiet.

I want the Dodgers to win for a possible Stro’s rematch.

#657 2 years ago

Yeah, the Stro’s may be up 2-0 in the series but it ain’t over yet. We got pounded by Whitesox in a WS so can’t get cocky. Then there is still Tampa or Boston if they make it there.

Where are the Giants/Dodgers fans…they have really good teams. I know both have a few injuries which sucks because you always want to see the best in the playoffs. Both their lineups are loaded with talent and well positioned to win it all. As a longtime Astros fan I only root for the Dodgers to win so we can face them in the WS.

#658 2 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

I'm to nervous to even watch, let alone smack talk, Giants and Dodgers are both too good this year. It sux they have to face off this early.
    Tell me when it's over, I'm watching a Metallica show from the Independent, sept 16 2021.

Exactly! They are both REAL good. This is the NLCS in my opinion.

#664 2 years ago

Great game going on in Boston.

#665 2 years ago

Chicago crowd is rough tonight.
    Embrace the hate!!!

Go Stro’s!!!

#667 2 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Red Sox Need to End This.

I am pulling for Tampa….that one guy on the Red Sox has been on fire…..I wouldn’t want to face him if I were the Astros.

#669 2 years ago

Tampa got robbed a run. I get calling the hit a double but the runner on base should have been allowed to score. If the ball stayed in play there was not a play at the plate. Interesting scenario for sure.

#671 2 years ago

And there you go….that call could cost Tampa the series. This will be discussed for a long time.

#673 2 years ago

The only argument that it may not have mattered is Tampa may have only scored one run…Boston hit a 2 run homer so there you go.

Great game though!

#678 2 years ago

A 4 run lead is nothing when it’s early….good teams can come back. That’s why I don’t get cocky…. The Stro’s have already showed they are for real and trying to close it out. Chicago is gonna have to work for it if they want to win. The Astros are not gonna lie down and give it to them. This game is getting good!

#680 2 years ago

And there is no tomorrow for Chicago….they will pull out all the stops to live for tomorrow. Anybody that can pitch to win the game is going in for the Sox.

#681 2 years ago

2 outs with runners on…..that’s where the Stro’s hurt ya! There is just no soft spot in the line up.

Altuve, Bregman, Brantley, Alvarez, oh…then you have Tucker, Yuli, Correa…..pitchers just don’t get a break. We wear pitchers down eventually.

#682 2 years ago

Now we have a game! It’s all on Dusty to make the right decisions to minimize the damage.

Greinke coming in….will be interesting to see how he does as a reliever.

#686 2 years ago

Yeah…crazy play. I would say the runner “leaned” into that one LOL! It is what it is.

#689 2 years ago

And it’s only the 4th inning. Greinke just needs to settle in and end this inning. If they can come out of this down 3-4 runs they could still come back.

#690 2 years ago

Only down 3 but it could be worse. Greinke is pitching his ass off. The good thing is we know Greinke can go 3-5 innings unless he gets rattled. Really don’t want to see him go that long so he is rested if we can close this out.

#693 2 years ago

They earned that win for sure. After it was tied up they blew it open and took control.

#705 2 years ago

Glad you enjoyed it Chisox. Too bad we had a rain delay as this was getting good.

#715 2 years ago
    Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

for REAL!!! ASTROS ARE CHEATERS!!!! should be banned from MLB Playoffs for a decade; college football style!!!
    fake champions!!! disaster to cheaters. karma is a BIT#$

This is so 3 years ago. Get over it and move on. It happened. It’s fine if you want to hate the ASTROS for it. But get off your high horse and wake up to the truth. Quit acting like it’s the only reason they won. It’s far from it. The Astros plain flat have a good team and the stats don’t lie. You don’t hear me complaining that there are other teams that did it and weren’t investigated/punished. There were plenty of other players/teams stealing signs. And let’s get to the actual rule that was broken…..teams ARE allowed to steal signs. You just can’t use any electronic aids/devices to do it. If you can pick up on it with your eyes it’s completely legal. You can even communicate it to another player but you can’t be obvious about it. The Astros took it too far and got got. Simple as that. You also have to realize this was exposed 1-2 years after the fact. MLB investigated and I am sure what they realized is this goes further than what they wanted to look into. Many players have moved to new teams so it gets messy trying to suspend players and hurt teams that had nothing to do with it when the player did it while playing for another team. Pretty much MLB has made it clear for all teams to Knock it off. Harsh and swift penalties moving forward. And be realistic about how much of an advantage sign stealing is…..if you are a bad hitter it probably doesn’t help you that much. If you are a good/great hitter it may help determine if you plan to swing or not. Batters have a split second to commit to a swing or sit back on a pitch. Even if you know what pitch is coming you still have to hit it.

And you want to start comparing baseball to football…let’s don’t because football has some lopsided penalty rules. It’s clear they want the passing/high scoring games to happen. Spotting the ball at the foul for PI is completely ridiculous. How about a 10 yard penalty and a first down. If a player has 2 PI’s in a game they are ejected and have to sit out the next game. That would make passing plays a little cleaner. The offense has way too much of an advantage in today’s game IMO. Pro sports are all about the money. They are all tainted in different ways. MLB introduced a “new” ball a couple years ago as an example….why did they do that? What was wrong with the old ball….well chicks dig the long ball.

End of rant. Let’s live in the present and enjoy these playoffs.

#730 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Deservedly so, the Astros will always be called cheaters. But they are the better team in this series. It is getting old that when ever they beat a team it’s a built in excuse. It happened, it’s in the past.

You get it. It’s in the past. Let’s talk about the games happening today.

#734 2 years ago

There is still 3 innings left and anything can happen.

But apparently we have beaten the Boos out of the White Sox fans…not a single boo when we scored that last run….just dead silence. I could actually hear the cheers from a few Astros fans that are there.

#736 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Isn't that the type of lame excuse everyone uses for everything illegal, immoral and unethical nowadays? You Astros fans would sure like it all to be swept under the rug. You know, the "alternate universe BS we are inundated with all too much nowadays. We see bad crap with our own eyes and someone is trying to tell us we really didn't see it. Like we are all idiots or something. Don't want to dwell on the FACT that the Astros were cheaters.
    We keep hearing all this BS about how the Astros were good without the cheating. lol Then why did they cheat? What a bunch of crap that is.
    Go back and look at those World Series games against the Dodgers. A team who spent over $200 million dollars to win the World Series honestly only to lose to a team who was banging on the trash can cheating their asses off. Take away the cheating and there is more than a good chance the Astros do not win the World Series.
    Take away the cheating and the Dodgers win in 5 games. Sorry that's how a large percentage of fans see it.
    The Astros should have been stripped of the title and penalized the next couple seasons. They disgraced the game.
    Carlos Beltran ruined his legacy. Played his entire career with the reputation of being a clean player with a respect for the game. Gets hired as the Mets manager and......
    Not anymore. Once he became part of the "Astros Culture" (a nicer word for cheaters) he pretty-much sealed his fate. He's now the new Pete Rose.
    It amazes me that MLB allowed the Astros to retain their World Series title after being caught cheating?
    That was a big mistake with today's lack of respect for the rules, the law, basically anything. A clear sign that the benefits of cheating in MLB definitely outweigh the punishment.
    If MLB would have done the right thing and punished the Astros appropriately, they would have already served their punishment and would have the respect of most of the fans back by now.
    As it is now all they have is the blind love from their most rabid fans and a bad taste in the mouths of everyone else.

I beg to differ. The Astros were THAT GOOD and didn’t need to do it in 2017. It was just dumb to do what they did as they were ABSOLUTELY good enough to win it all without stealing signs. I am 100% certain they were not stealing signs last year and were one game away from the WS. This year they are one win away from going to the ALCS series….still have any doubts the Astros are a good team? You don’t have to like it but these are the facts.

As far as the Dodgers spending $200 mil who cares. Any team can BUY a WS if you spend enough. But no guarantee you will get there every year. The Yankees have been doing that for years….buying star players every year. Sometimes it works and sometimes doesn’t.

#737 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

Crowd is nervous as hell. We somehow survived another question Dusty bullpen decision, hopefully they shut this series down today.

As a Houston fan I am nervous LOL! Our teams are known to find ways to lose. It would be an epic collapse if they lost.

The White Sox just look defeated already. They kicked our ass in a WS so we know how it feels. And that was just a complete fluke we made it to the WS. We were never a real contender that year.

#744 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Anyone can say what you have with zero evidence (we see it every day nowadays).
    The Astros were caught red-handed cheating. It wasn't an individual or a few bad apples. It was the entire corrupt organization.

Hold on….there were some players that did not participate in the sign stealing. That is a fact. So yeah…you can say it was a few bad apples. Go do your homework on exactly who participated. There were some that felt uncomfortable with it and didn’t do it. So you want to call them guilty by association go ahead. As an organization they had a chance to stop it but didn’t.

There are players from other teams that have clearly stated they knew of sign stealing by other teams/players. MLB shut down the investigation and left it where they did……

#745 2 years ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

The American League Cheaters Series is set!

Now that IS funny! Should be a good series.

#746 2 years ago

Do or die games for Brewers and the Dodgers….

The Brewers caught a break…..what say ye….catch or no catch?

#748 2 years ago

Looked like no catch to me.

I agree….but they said it can’t be reviewed so that’s why they didn’t overturn it. I get you can’t review every pitch but any play that can be an out or score should be reviewable….don’t understand why this one isn’t. All this technology and we still can’t get it right.

#750 2 years ago

These last guys calling the Houston/Chicago series were ok but just a couple of Chuckle Heads laughing at their bad jokes…Hoping they don’t send us the Buck LOL!

178A2375-5295-4E6B-9DDE-5D8A0C0E99A7 (resized).jpeg178A2375-5295-4E6B-9DDE-5D8A0C0E99A7 (resized).jpeg
    #754 2 years ago

Shit. Kind of how I expected the rest of the series to go after we came out flat in g2.
    Braves played well, I hope they can take it all.

Yeah…Braves are better than I thought. Was pulling for the Brewers because….well how can you not like Bob Ueker (and beer) LOL!!! Seriously the Brewers have some good players and have been in the hunt for a couple years.

#758 2 years ago

it was a seven game series right? take one game they stole by cheating,and they lose the series. if it was a six game series, take two wins away, and LA wins. pretty simple IMO. The cheating was documented against Kershaw and the other ACE they put the mound, so ur right, it did happen, but you're wrong to believe they'd have won anyway. waaaay wrong.
    Get over your homer mentality, and put some respect in the game, and restore some honor which your team has justifiably lost. the astros will forever be known as CHEATERS, plain and simple. don't do the crime if you can't do the time cheaters
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"fffb998e2bbaa149d8140692aa8a97b309034af4-1634126890-1800"};
    //]]>

One of your pitchers tipped his pitches and we lit him up…..so that’s on your pitcher.

#761 2 years ago

Yep….those are the facts and basic details of what they did. If you dig further there are more details but MLB has not released those…pretty much they did damage control mode. Punished what they felt they could without impacting more teams/players but put the league on notice to stop it. All anyone wants is a fair and clean game and that is how it should be. The Astros were arrogant and took it too far with electronic devices…..this is a dead horse. There will always be those that say they are still doing it now and that is something the Astros and the players involved will have to live with.

MLB is monitoring very closely I am pretty sure….look at how they are checking pitchers very frequently. The funny thing on that is many batters have said they would prefer pitchers to doctor the ball so they have more ball control. Makes sense if you had 80-100mph balls thrown towards you day in and day out.

#764 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Do you have the season pass? I do... every year. Most Americans are fed-up with the attitude that it is OK to cheat, lie, dishonor just about everything we hold sacred. The kind of crap you are defending is the type of stuff that ruins the game.

Money/betting already ruined the game. Really all pro sports. We would all love to believe pro sports are played fairly by teams/players but that just is not the case unfortunately. What’s worse is when a league knows or believes their could be cheating/breaking of rules and sits on it until they are forced to investigate or do something about it. Steroid era of baseball is good example. Took MLB a while to put an end to it when they knew players were juicing.

College football is changing as we speak now that players can get paid…will see how that all shakes out. Truth is we probably don’t want to know all the dirty things that have happened in pro sports. It makes them as relevant as pro wrestling. Good entertainment with amazing athletes.

#765 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

Should be some fireworks in the Red Sox-Stros series. Really hoping LMJ didn't injure his arm too badly yesterday.

Yeah, can’t wait for this series to start. Injuries are part of the game. Hopefully he can rest and pitch a few innings if needed. Just don’t want to make it a severe injury by pitching him if he shouldn’t. A player will always say they can go so they may have to shut him down for his own good.

I never wish for injuries as you always want to see the best players face each other.

#766 2 years ago

And go Dodgers!

Would only be fitting for a rematch with the Stro’s …..but there is still work to do if it’s to happen.

#768 2 years ago

Cool story! Pitchers have always been the center of controversy. Some got caught and others didn’t. Same with corked bats. One I remember was with Billy Hatcher and yes he was with the Astros at time LOL! It was during a game and he hit a ball and the bat broke and you could clearly see it was a corked bat. He claimed it was a “practice” bat and not sure how it got mixed up for game use if I remember correctly. Why would you use a corked bat for practice….not buying that one.

And of course there’s the whole Roger Clemens steroid debate….it was the steroid era….at his age if you could recover and pitch like that with steroids or HGH why wouldn’t you do it…..my guess is he did it. No player wants their career to end. Some would do anything to play a few more years before giving it up.

#772 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Good luck to the Astros .As a Sox fan I apologize for the chants by others and what our idiot relief pitcher said but these are the things that happen when your outclassed and outmatched(like bears fans chanting Packers Suck after another loss to them ) .That was a complete ass whooping and GM Hahn has some work to do .If Jerry will let him call ALL the shots ,the future looks bright .

It’s all good! It’s only sports and fans are gonna be fans. I don’t take it personally and hope others don’t either. Rivalries are good and it makes it fun. But it can all be taken a little too far at times.

Players, teams, coaches, owners and fans all do dumb things that make us all say what the hell where they thinking…..it keeps us entertained and why watch.

#778 2 years ago

not true. the "trash can man" was signaling the hitters. this is a documented and highly proven FACT. You cannot ignore that. Changed two CRUCIAL game outcomes.

They may have been banging trash cans but I believe it is possible there was a tell that may have been picked up on. Yu Darvish had an earlier game that year I believe (not against the Astros) where he did tip pitches. It’s really hard to say 100%.

Regardless pitchers have the hardest job. Besides pitching they control the tempo, have to manage base runners, make infield plays, and a ton of other things. A mistake in any of these areas can be the difference between winning or losing a game. Some days they have it and some days they don’t. All pitchers go through that. Even Ace pitchers have days they are just off.

#781 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Is this 2017? How about a game 5 tonight with huge rivals. I’ll be rooting for the winner of this series the rest of the way.

You are right! Game 5 of a playoffs…..as good as it gets and with 2 of the best teams.

#787 2 years ago

I really am torn on AL rules or NL rules. A part of me likes the NL because pitchers have to bat….but most pitchers are not good hitters so you have poor quality at bats. It adds a challenge to manage that hole in the lineup. But at the same time once they put in a reliever they often pinch hit and put in another pitcher anyway so it’s not like it affects the whole game all the time, it really depends when they change pitchers and how often to avoid a pitcher batting. That is part of the strategy. I guess I tend to lean to the AL rules because nobody wants to see pitchers that generally are not good hitters. I would rather see good hitters. I think that adds a challenge for the AL as you can’t count on a pitcher being an easy out. Pitch count can also be greatly affected as you have a chance for a solid hitter to drive the pitch count up earlier in games. There are trade offs either way and has been debated plenty….I think MLB likes it that way to keep the debate of which league is better/harder.

But I am glad they implemented the 3 batter rule for pitchers. Too many pitching changes and it slowed the game down. Games are still long.

#789 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

The DH will be in both leagues before long, I’m just glad they got rid of the stupid runner on 2nd to start extra innings.

I think that is just for the playoffs they got rid of it. I get the point of the rule but that is too much of an advantage. I think that’s the beauty of baseball is going to extra innings.

#792 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

No it’s officially done.

Good!!!

#796 2 years ago

Go Dodgers!!!

#797 2 years ago

Either the hitters for both teams are hung over or the pitchers are on point today… scoreless into the 5th. It’s anybody’s game at this point.

#821 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

Losing an ace is never ideal, hopefully some firm news soon. I'd guess an injury to him would bump Grienke back to a starter.

Yeah, losing McCullers is gonna hurt. Greinke can’t go more than a couple innings so no way he gets moved to a starter if you are expecting 4-5 innings. There was a good interview with him and you can tell by what he said that he can’t go for long any more. Sucks cause he has tons of experience. He is not a flame thrower but an effective pitcher over his career.

We really don’t know the extent of McCullers soreness/injury. Will have to see if others can step up. The last few years have been amazing with some Ace pitchers but when you don’t have that you realize how special those players are. I have said pitching is gonna be our weakness. I don’t think they made enough moves to shore it up before the trade deadline…..we will soon find out.

#823 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

I think Grienke would be a starter in a "bullpen game" and anything over 3-4 is gravy.

Agree with you if they have a bullpen game which is likely to happen. We don’t have depth for starting pitchers so will be interesting to see what they do.

#824 2 years ago

Here we go! Stro’s need to hit early and often.

#827 2 years ago

What a game! Stranded runners by both teams all night long…..either could have broken this game wide open. Both teams going to the bullpen early. Astros needed this one.

#830 2 years ago

And there you have it…the weak starting pitching of the Astros. It’s been a problem all season. 2 grand salami’s given up by the second inning. We cut the lead by 3 so only down by 6. Astros are capable of making that up but odds are slim.

Pitching will most likely be the deciding factor of who wins this series.

#833 2 years ago

That’s a fact…all the hype has been for the top teams. Atlanta has played well. If they can get a 2 game advantage it could be their time.

#835 2 years ago

Damn….they just showed a replay of Pujols knocking one deep off of Brad Lidge. That brings back some memories. Pujols was the Astros killer….he beat our pitchers up back in the day. Dude was a BEAST!

Lidge was good but he lost his confidence here in Houston……he went to Philly I believe and think he had a perfect season. Was happy for him when that happened.

#836 2 years ago

Interesting it’s a 2-2 score. Are we sure this isn’t a replay of yesterday’s game?

#841 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinpin8990:

The Astros this morning:
    [quoted image]

Our bats are not the problem…it’s our pitching and trash cans don’t help with that. When you give up 2 grand slams in one game and follow it up the next game giving up another grand slam putting yourself in a 6-0 hole that early it’s tough to make that up….especially against a good team.

At this point I really question Dusty Baker…I get that he didn’t want to change pitchers so early but you can’t put your team in that big of a hole. This is the playoffs and you have to play every game like it’s the last game. Playing for tomorrow almost never works. He is doing the best he can with what they have I suppose.

#850 2 years ago

Wow! I thought last nights Astros game was good but Valdez has pitched a hell of a game to keep the Astros in this series. Still too early celebrate….

#854 2 years ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni:

It’s not over for the Dodgers until ATL wins 4. Just ask 2020 ATL

That’s a fact….Dodgers showing some signs of life….will see if they can do it again.

#855 2 years ago

I don’t blame Gerrit Cole getting paid and I am sure it’s a good gig if you can get it.

64074A26-2FB2-4FD9-BEFF-A5962E44920F (resized).jpeg64074A26-2FB2-4FD9-BEFF-A5962E44920F (resized).jpeg
    #860 2 years ago

Funny how the STROS suddenly start dominating the moment they're about to lose a series, right? funny how many homeruns they've been hitting right? what a coincidence! ASTROS are at it again. Ban them from the league! search their dugout for cameras.

Funny how when the Dodgers are about to be sent home packing they start hitting home runs…let’s search their dug out while we’re at it. And the Astros actually didn’t hit that many home runs….Correa didn’t do ANYTHING in that last game…we got A LOT of good hits mostly which put runners on base. A couple home runs sure but not like your boy last night. And don’t start crying about injuries on your team. Astros have had to overcome injuries too.

You obviously are not a fan of baseball in general…..you know MLB is watching the Astros like a hawk. Why can’t you accept the Astros really are that good. Either move on or go cry and pout with your cry baby buddy Joe Kelly……enough already so GTFO with the 2017 crap. It’s over and done with.

#862 2 years ago

LMAO!!!

#868 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Dude, your team cheated. Take it like a man. For the rest of your life, your team cheated. Just like the black Sox. 100 years from now, your team will still be known as cheaters. Maybe if they voluntarily give up their title, it will only be 50 years. The astros are dirty rotten cheaters.

Never have I said they didn’t. But they aren’t now. Quit living in the past. Get over it and move on. We are on to 2021. Why can’t you accept the Astros are good team currently like everyone else…doesn’t mean you have to like them and that is fine. Quit whining and let’s see how this plays out for the final 4 teams. It ain’t over for any team yet.

#870 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Man this thread is getting funny, tying politics into it and everything. As far as cheating, the Astros did it got caught and will hear about it forever, rightfully so. But to think there is still “cheating” going on is laughable. MLB has an attendant guarding the one video monitor in the clubhouse area. And technically it’s not considered cheating as long as they’re not using technology.

Exactly! And let’s not let politics creep into sports. It spoils good entertainment/rivalries etc. We need at least one thing we can rib each other about and still be friends and buy each other rounds of drinks!

#871 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Me too! I’m still hoping for the Astros vs Dodgers rematch.

Would like that to happen as well….just so maybe there can be some closure to 2017 one way or another and move on…..it’s dead horse….we need another scandal so there is something else discuss instead of that LOL!

#875 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

It's astounding how butt hurt this thread is over 2017, all because the Stros are still whooping their favorite teams 5 years later.

And that’s what it feels like a lot of people can’t accept…the Astros are definitively a GOOD team. They have faults like any other team but you can’t argue the results they put up.

#879 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

What I find astounding is that Astro players and fans think they have a say when the rest of the baseball world stops talking about their cheating. The fact that they’re a better team than the White Sox and whooped that ass is irrelevant. My team cheated over 100 years ago (although they tried to lose, which is the most White Sox thing ever) and it’s been mentioned more than once in this thread, so get used to it.

And why shouldn’t we have a say…it’s 2021….2017 is done and over..we are talking about today. Sorry we kicked your ass FAIR AND SQUARE. Accept it. If it was the 2017 Astros then a different story….quit trying to convince yourself and others this is the 2017 Astros….IT’s NOT!!! Like I said if you want to hate the 2017 Astros go for it. But quit acting like THE CURRENT team is the 2017 situation. The only point I have ever made is that sign stealing is nothing new…..in fact it isn’t against the rules as long as you are not using any electronic/video aids meaning if you can pick it up with your eyes from what you see on the field you are free to do it. EVERY TEAM does this. It’s within the rules so absolutely they all do it.

I guess what we really need (Don’t steal my idea) is a TRUE documentary from past players telling all the dirty things that have gone on in baseball to shut everyone up…..I mean from sex in the club house to drugs etc……we would all be shocked to know what has gone on. You do realize there is the rules…….and then there has always been the “players rules”. MLB has allowed that to go on for over a century and it has not changed. That applies to on and off the field activities meaning players don’t rat each other out without consequences……That has been accepted as “that’s just baseball “. The league has always allowed other teams to punish others for minor rules infractions and that’s the end of it. MLB only steps in when they have to.

End of rant. Go Stro’s!!!

#881 2 years ago

Garcia had a good outing. We need that for our pitching staff. Close game so far. Time for the bats to seal the deal if they can.

#885 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

It’s funny hearing Boston people whining about Astros cheating when their favorite football team is the Patriots.

Yeah..and their manager was part of the 2017 Astros and one of the KEY people of the sign stealing.

#886 2 years ago

Dusty Baker has a chance for a WS win. Didn’t think the Stro’s had a chance with our pitching but they pulled it out. Come get you some LA!!!

#891 2 years ago

Impressive stats for sure. From a baseball standpoint (not as a fan) how the Astros came back to win the ALCS is pretty special. Giving up a grand slam and losing game 2 at home. Then travel to Boston knowing that pitching is going to be an issue and give up 2 more grand slams early in game 3. Mentally most teams would be defeated. This was Boston’s series to win. Somehow the Astros got the pitching from Framber Valdez and Luis Garcia and took this series. Boston’s bats couldn’t answer and the Astros bats couldn’t be denied.

#892 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Facepalm. Ok..so anyhoo….Yordan Alvarez is an absolute monster and I’m trying to think of a lefty with that much power that goes oppo like that. I’m honestly drawing a blank. Ortiz? Kyle Tucker is the same but obviously on a smaller scale. Crazy that they lost their best post season hitter (Springer-19 playoff HRs) and don’t skip a beat.

And that’s what all the analysts have been saying the last few years is the Astros have a “embarrassment of riches” regarding talent. We are fortunate to have young talent in the pipeline allowing us to let go of some players and not miss a beat. Springer is missed for sure and there is a list of others gone that were key players the last few years…Cole, Reddick, Morton, Gonzales, etc. And injuries have not helped with Verlander and McCullers.

And I guess the most overlooked piece is Maldonado….he can’t hit but as a catcher he is damn good.

#893 2 years ago

Ready for some Dodger magic to happen….can the Braves seal the deal or will they fall short again…

#894 2 years ago

So for all those still wanting to believe the Astros were the ONLY team stealing signs…..here is a new story……Sorry Dodgers but your team most likely was doing it too. Believe what you want. The Astros are guilty as charged but the truth is MLB KNEW it was happening throughout the league. They made an example of calling out the Astros on it to “clean the league up” and stopped there. Way too much to investigate and all the league wants is all teams to play clean/fair games which is happening now. There have also been other players stating similar stories that other teams were known/suspected as well. Just like steroids happened across the league this did too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/as-pitcher-chris-bassitt-says-astros-werent-only-team-in-mlb-stealing-signs/amp/

#896 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

This has been well known for awhile now except, apparently, by most of this thread.

Yeah, it’s like telling someone the Earth is round when they believe it’s flat. They refuse to accept it no matter what.

Yes the Stro’s were the only ones punished/caught (officially) by MLB. Can’t deny or defend what they did. But it’s pretty comical that those with nothing but hate for the Astros refuse to accept the possibility that other teams did it too.

#900 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

What are you talking about? You must have me confused with someone else or else you’re trying to gaslight me. I never said anything about the 2021 astros and I certainly accept that they are a good team. But I’m not going to let you guys just wash away the filth from the 2017 team so easily, especially since many of the same cheaters from that team are currently powering the 2021 team. And your deflection, trying to say that the Dodgers cheated because some scrub said he had a hunch they might have, with no proof is laughable. It’s the classic “whattabout” excuse.
    Your honor, sure my client murdered his wife, but whattabout O.J? He didn’t have to do jail time. So it’s all good. Right?

There are multiple players that have stated they knew of other teams players besides the Astros that were stealing signs. I am not defending them or saying they should be free of anything for doing what they did. I am simply pointing out for all the people that still have hatred to them to take a look and perhaps acknowledge it is HIGHLY likely there were other teams doing similar things. And yes, the Dodgers have been implied along with the Yankees, Brewers, Red Sox etc. You can’t put a blind eye to it. We will never know the extent because MLB chose to NOT investigate further and essentially put all teams on notice to knock it off. Similar to the steroid era….there were so many people that did it but not all of them got “caught”. They investigated and I don’t think MLB was prepared for the extent roids were being used and didn’t want to go down that rabbit hole again. It simply has become accepted as the steroid era. We have new technology that is extremely accessible that was not available 10-20 years ago the way it is today….do you think teams are not gonna try to exploit it? Of course they are. Remember if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying. And every team is “Trying”.

And as far as OJ goes that whole trial was a disaster. Of course he did it IMO but that’s not even worth discussing.

#905 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Dude, fuck off with your bullshit. You’re doubling down with your “whatabout” defense. You are so full of crap. How dare you accuse the Dodgers of astros like cheating. You have no evidence whatsoever of the Dodgers pulling an astros. Just accept that your team is made up of mostly
    cheaters and is still probably a bunch of scum sucking cheaters currently.

Angry much bro? I am not gonna go pull every article from every source/player….there is plenty out there. When you hear current players admit there was more going on why is it you can’t accept that maybe…just maybe other teams/players were doing it to. And I have never said that it defends or justifies what the Astros did. But if you have that much hate for the Astros for what they did you should also feel the same for the other teams/players that did it too….and if you feel it’s OK for those that didn’t get caught it only makes you a hypocrite.

#907 2 years ago

Congrats to the Braves!

The WS is now set. I have no idea how these teams will match up. Braves are HOT and playing good ball. Could be good series.

#908 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

All this whining about the Astros makes me want to root for them. On second thought, let’s go Braves!!

I am just ready for next scandal to happen so we have something else to talk about LOL!

#910 2 years ago

So let’s have some fun to tide us over till the WS.

Does anyone else have a wife, GF, friend family member/friend etc that drives them crazy during a game?
    Share your stories…..also what pregame traditions/ rituals do you have? Are there certain things you do or don’t do to not jinx your team?

My wife drives me crazy sometimes….she enjoys watching the games but man she gets mad so easy..she always yells “why is he throwing the ball in the dirt. Why can’t he throw a strike!” I have to calm her down and tell her if it were that easy pitchers would throw nothing but strikes. Then when a ball is hit straight to a fielder she gets mad again and says “why did he hit the ball to the guy…doesn’t he know to hit it where the guy isn’t?” I again have to calm her down and tell her if it was that easy batters would get hits all the time. If we are losing early she usually goes in the other room. Then if we come back and win she doesn’t like to watch the next game cause she thinks she will jinx them. Cracks me up.

#913 2 years ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

My nephew is a braves fan for many years. We’d text each other during the nlcs. Over 20 years ago, I took him to dodger stadium when the braves were in town. Larry Wayne Jones Jr (Chipper) was his fave. Went early n caught pre game warm up n soak up the atmosphere. Darren Driefort threw me a ball, and I gave it to my nephew. For the WS, I’m cheering for the braves.

That’s a great story! Your Nephew will never forget that!

#914 2 years ago

For the 3 Stro’s fans….let’s go Stro’s!!!

06787B35-05DD-4175-9D8F-4F831C254ADE.gif06787B35-05DD-4175-9D8F-4F831C254ADE.gif
    #915 2 years ago

The 2017 Astros batters…..

FB5F3CFF-8836-4360-A77B-277C62CE1E08.gifFB5F3CFF-8836-4360-A77B-277C62CE1E08.gif
    #916 2 years ago

What pitchers facing the Astros want to do.

5910C90D-5DE0-4DF6-A50F-F46C4EF87EF8.gif5910C90D-5DE0-4DF6-A50F-F46C4EF87EF8.gif
    #917 2 years ago

Good luck Braves! Hoping for a good series….it’s an old rivalry as they knocked us out of the playoffs several times when we were in the NL.

#918 2 years ago

Braves still on fire

#923 2 years ago

That’s a huge loss for the Braves. Hate to see Morton go down….still like him even though we let him go. The only good thing is it is a leg injury and not an arm injury so he should be back for next year. Probably the worst part is it happened in the WS….you work hard all season for this moment and it’s over in the blink of an eye.

#929 2 years ago

Tough loss but the Braves jumped ahead early. Valdez struggled. Astros had chances but came up short. Will see how game 2 goes.

#930 2 years ago

Let’s Go Astros
    [quoted image]

Is that an official MLB approved trashtros can? LOL!

#935 2 years ago

Well….it is definitely up for discussion but IMO referring to Native Americans as being Brave is not derogatory. I would say let the Native Americans voice their opinion and go from there. They are the right ones to say if it’s offensive and educate us why it is or is not. Obviously the Washington Football team’s former name was offensive and has been a long time coming to change the name. Does KC need to rename the Chiefs? Let’s take it one step further….the Yankees should be renamed……that term IS DEROGATORY. Welcome to cancel culture.

#937 2 years ago

If they ever rename the Yankees it should be something the city is known for, like The New York Giant Rats
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"d2c6132452efa14eae7c3b546ff271fe14518ed3-1635387522-1800"};
    //]]>

[quoted image]

LMAO!

#938 2 years ago

Go Mighty Mouse!!!

#941 2 years ago

So the pitching could be fairly even from here on out. Feels odd to not have any Ace pitchers in this series. Injuries have done a number on pitchers. This will come down to whose bats are hot. Both teams can put up runs.

Astros even it up. On to Atlanta we go!

#944 2 years ago

Astros fans definitely watching close. Ya can’t get cocky…there’s a lot of ball left to play. We are definitely celebrating the win but one win doesn’t mean this thing is decided for either team. The Astros know how to win on the road so Atlanta fans better not get comfortable yet. The one variable is the pitchers have to bat going into Atlanta. Dusty has the experience to manage that. Unless a pitcher is hot I expect lots of pitching changes from both teams.

#945 2 years ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

That rat shows more emotion than the Yanks most games this year. They need some more fight in their game.

That’s the issue with a team full of “bought” talent. Sometimes they don’t connect with each other. A young team that is built and keeps mixing in young talent from the minors sometimes bonds a little more. They are not all star/stud players and have to prove themselves every game. Don’t get me wrong as it’s certainly impressive to have a roster like the Yankees but sometimes it takes heart to win a championship. All players want to win but they want to get PAID too and they go to whoever is willing to overpay.

How about changing the Yankees to The Dark Knights….Gotham is kind of modeled after New York right? Super heroes are popular right now so why not capitalize on it…..I am sure they could do some creative marketing to not infringe on any licensing issues.

Need some New Yorker’s to chime in with names that make sense if you are from there. The New York Apples doesn’t sound very intimidating LOL!

#948 2 years ago

I can see this going to game 6 or 7. Braves didn’t get here by chance. Their bats are hot. There is no real pitching dual gonna happen. If we believe this to be decided by hitting the edge goes to the Astros so it’s their series to lose. They can’t blow scoring opportunities like they did in game 1. Go Stro’s!!!

#952 2 years ago

Who cares anymore….it’s old news and in the past. Only thing that matters right now is this WS. The only thing a hated sports team can do to quiet the haters is just keep winning. That’s all the Stro’s are focused on and need to do.

Just like the Patriots….we all know they bent/broke multiple rules but they shut everyone up by winning. Belichick was masterful at exploiting rules and pushing the limits if it gave them an edge. You think the NFL really cared……it’s not like they punished them very hard as they were still consistently one the best teams every year during that time.

#961 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinpin8990:

Also, I'm looking for cheating that resulted in a championship. Like the 2017 Astros.

Geez…..give it a rest. We get it. You hate the Astros. You don’t believe any other team/players were doing the same things. One thing NO ONE can prove is that it was enough of an edge for them to win in 2017 100% and only because they stole signs. Just because you may have an idea of what pitch is coming that guarantees nothing. You still have to hit the damn ball…and just because you make contact doesn’t mean it’s gonna be a hit.

Not every player from other teams are gonna rat out what other teams/players were doing. That’s a No/No…players don’t rat out other players for common things that are just part the players rules. And the ones that have spoke up didn’t go into detail….basically just admitting that plenty of others were doing it and it is what it is.

And here is the flip side…..why don’t teams find BETTER ways to communicate so their signs aren’t stolen in the first place…also there are plenty of times when batters know what pitch is most likely coming based on the count and a pitchers tendency of what pitch they throw in those situations. These players study each other…..the pitchers know what they should avoid throwing to every batter and hitters know what each pitcher leans to. Pitchers ain’t always taking off their caps to look inside their hat for nothing. Pretty sure they have cheat sheets for the batters. No different than a QB having plays on their arm in football. Catchers also have to know this information as well and some are just better than others. If it was just THAT simple to steal signs and guarantee wins but it’s not.

Enough of this nonsense and back to the WS discussion….and what should we rename the Yankees to?

#965 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinpin8990:

If someone cheats and beats the Royals in a meaningless afternoon game in July, no one gives a crap.
    I want to know who else has ever been caught cheating and that cheating resulted in:
    A. Them winning a title
    B. Them getting caught and suffering consequences
    Start Googling....

Cheating has been going on in sports forever…..just not everyone gets caught. The Astros were caught and punished. You can’t strip them from the 2017 WS win because you can’t prove 100% they won BECAUSE of sign stealing. If it could be proven they would have been stripped. Simple as that. And that is true with most cheating scandals in sports. It may give a slight edge but it probably is not the single deciding factor.

You want one where cheating affected the outcome…..cycling. Lance Armstrong got busted after denying for years…..his scheme was extremely elaborate and led to multiple wins of the Tour de France. He was stripped of his wins and banned for life from cycling. Is that an acceptable example of what you are looking for?

#966 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Isn’t this the 2021 MLB thread?

Would sure like it to be a little more of that.

#968 2 years ago

But you keep crying you want proof, examples, etc. just let it go.

This series has a chance to be a good one. Time to enjoy it for what it is.

#973 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

pinpin has nothing to add to the thread, so he just keeps dumping salt mines in here. It's 2021, and the Stros are playing the Braves. Get the fuck over yourself.

Exactly, have to remind ourselves to not feed the trolls.

#974 2 years ago

Is it too early to speculate where Correa is gonna end up playing next year? My gut says Yankees most likely.

#978 2 years ago

I am sure Correa is focused on the task at hand….but they played bits of an interview from some Spanish radio station and the DJ is a big Mets fan. He asked Correa where he was going after this season and he told the guy he is not sure but pin stripes look good. He then asked asked him dark blue or light blue….Correa just said blue. Correa was probably jacking with him a little. It’s no secret the Yankees are on his list. I am sure for the right deal there are other teams he would sign with. Hell I am sure if the Astros stepped up and caved in with the big multi year deal he would stay but I don’t see the Astros doing it.

#980 2 years ago

Get this , PETA wants MLB to get rid of the term Bull Pen…..they suggest it should be called the Arm Barn. Apparently they are worried about the upset cows in the Bull Pen waiting to be slaughtered. Get out of here with this crap. All I care is that a steak tastes good when cooked right. If Mr. Cow didn’t taste good this wouldn’t be an issue.

https://www.peta.org/media/news-releases/petas-call-to-the-bullpen-rename-outdated-term-arm-barn/

#982 2 years ago

Well I didn’t know what to refer to the fellow mammal as without offending it and get PETA upset so I figured Mr. Cow would work but actually it should be Ms. Cow and Mr. Bull. Apparently they have a lot of anxiety in the Bull Pen waiting to be slaughtered….go figure.

#992 2 years ago

LMAO!!! pinpin needs to wake up. The rest of baseball has moved on. The other teams, analysts, etc are tired of discussing it and have all moved on. What’s done is done. MLB is watching all teams so no one can cry about sign stealing. They are checking pitchers frequently to ensure they are not doctoring balls. It’s as fair as they can make it. You are the only that is gonna carry it to your grave. I will carry to my grave that the Astros won a WS in my lifetime….I am OK with that.

#993 2 years ago

Stro’s have some work to do this off season. They have to shore up the pitching and definitely figure out Short Stop. The key I think is to keep plugging talent into the farm teams and bring up talent from within.

#995 2 years ago

If any team team knows what a slump is it’s the Astros….from the time they started until recently they never amounted to much. They had some great players come through the team over the years and were largely thought of as the “FARM” team of the majors. We let lots of good players go that went on to other teams that won a WS or were true playoff teams. Different owner and his philosophy was great pitching beats great hitting. In theory it actually is pretty sound but when you can’t score runs it doesn’t matter how good your pitching is. And playing in the Astrodome didn’t help….was a huge field and not hitter friendly compared to many of the new ballparks of today that are hitter friendly.

#999 2 years ago

I think KC Royals did their share of cheating back in the day so your Scumbag Royals can go suck it too LOL! Know your history before you judge too quickly. I think George Brett was known for the Pine Tar incident. So if you guys want to continually view the current Astros the same as 2017 then we should view other teams the same for their past transgressions….there’s been a lot of cheating and do we really need to revisit all of it again?

#1006 2 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I wish the O's would cheat.

//<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"4ae1c7c8ec384810782ecf1205fa05e2fbc60a3f-1635518663-1800"};
    //]]>

Now that’s something we can all get behind! I am sure one day they will be a good team again.

#1007 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinpin8990:

Oh, here we go. Trying to tug on the ol' heartstrings, eh? Take your sob story somewhere else. No amount of arguing will get you out of the corner you're in. Your team cheated, got caught, and will forever be tainted.

Last I recall the Astros weren’t in a corner…..the are in Atlanta playing in the WS TONIGHT!!!

#1008 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinpin8990:

But the Black Sox got caught THROWING the series. They didn't cheat to win a championship. Not so sure you can lump the two together. Had the 2017 Astros thrown the series, sure there would be uproar, but not nearly as much since they weren't cheating to give themselves an advantage.
    The 2017 World Series will forever be tainted. Accept it.

Different but still bad….they were paid to take a dive. We all know modern sports is all about money and gambling. With baseball advertising gambling they need to just put Pete Rose in the HOF….they can still leave the story of his sports betting in the narrative as well. He was a hell of a player in his day. We may never really know if he only bet for his team to win or may have occasional bet against and lost to pay off some debts…..

#1010 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

No team has ever cheated besides the black sox and the Astros, keep up pickle.

LOL! It’s all in good fun. Thankfully with the rich history of cheating in baseball we can do this all day. The big picture of any sports cheating scandal is you have accept it happened and get over it and move on. Live in the now and not the past. There are so many talented players we could be discussing….and a WS…but all people want to do is hate so I say bring it….for once it feels good to be the bad guy.

#1014 2 years ago

Time to start game night off right!
    What are you drinking???

C28FA832-6DD1-4FB7-9B2E-621F9EE6E8F5 (resized).jpegC28FA832-6DD1-4FB7-9B2E-621F9EE6E8F5 (resized).jpeg
    #1017 2 years ago

So temp is gonna be in the 50’s and wet…possible rain. Could have a rain delay. No batting practice by either team. By this point they don’t need the practice….but they would sure like to loosen up and get a feel for how the field is gonna play.

#1020 2 years ago

Crawford bock just because the Stro’s are playing. It’s decent but obviously made for the Astros. For those not familiar with Minutemaid park the Crawford Boxes in left field are desirable seats and my personal favorite place to sit. If you enter at the gate on Crawford street it’s literally maybe 50ft to get to your seat. It’s pretty neat.

Shiner bock is my favorite go to beer. It’s pretty popular in TX for sure. Bottom line on beers is if it’s cold most people will drink it LOL!

And of course we love whiskey too!

#1021 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

Damn was hoping they'd play at 7 ET since they were in ATL, fuckin games go late.

Yeah but at least it’s a Friday. These games are running 4plus hrs regularly. They were talking about next year if the designated hitter happens in the National League that it could be the norm because now you have 1 better hitter in the lineup so innings will be longer. They have to find a way to get game times closer to 3 hrs…extra inning games being the exception as no one wants to introduce tie games or funky rules for extra innings.

#1023 2 years ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

Shiner has always been extremely popular in Texas. Crawford Bock is made by a local brewery that got bought by anheuser busch. It’s a good beer that benefits from having a label that everyone in Houston loves. There’s also Ziegenbock. So yes, Texans love bock beers.

I thought Karbach brewery was bought by Miller? Either way they are a “LOCAL” brewery that was VERY successful and now owned by one of the big ones. Also some of the proceeds of Crawford bock go to an Astros sponsored charity so it supports that as well. One of the guys that started Karbach is still there and works on developing new beers. He is on the radio pretty often talking about new beers coming out. How is that for a dream job….create new beers. Sign me up!

#1025 2 years ago

Joboo needs some rum….I will leave it to someone else to sacrifice a chicken if they feel the need.

Quoted from Chisox:

Game is starting on time! Also, is ranch water a real thing down there or is it a marketing bullshit concoction? I keep seeing commercials up here for ranch water with Texas cowboys herding cattle all day and grabbing a ranch water seltzer at the end of the day, seems suspect.

LOL!!! It’s definitely some concocted BS but it’s trendy as hell. Every brewer has jumped on that bandwagon. It’s OK IMO…had to try it. Some are better than others. If you go to a restaurant/bar they make it from scratch with Topo Chico…there was a shortage of it for a while.

#1027 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinpin8990:

I thought this was a baseball thread? What's with the booze talk?

Beer and baseball go very well together in case you didn’t know…what do think the 7th inning stretch is really about…it’s the last call for alcohol.

#1032 2 years ago

I think we are all bummed no Morton or McCullers. I have a hard time thinking of a team Charlie Morton would not be a starter on so while he may not have the notoriety of other pitchers he is VERY good.

#1033 2 years ago

It’s a boo fest for the Astros…as expected.

#1041 2 years ago

They keep playing Jethro Tull for Ian Anderson LOL!

#1047 2 years ago

Astros squeaked out of that jam!

#1049 2 years ago

Time to see how much Garcia has left in the tank.

#1051 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Man, Rosario can rake.

That guy is dangerous and has been smoking hot this post season.

#1052 2 years ago

It’s raining….players have to be cold and wet. Miserable conditions to be playing in.

#1058 2 years ago

Great catch by Tucker.

#1059 2 years ago

So I am curios as I know they run regional commercials but with this being a national broadcast did everyone get to see the Shiner Bock commercial they just ran? Thought it was funny since Shiner had been mentioned tonight.

#1062 2 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

Not here. I’m not sure I have ever seen a Shiner commercial in this market.

Thanks. I figured for the big advertising dollars of a major sports event it might have been shown nationally but guess not.

#1068 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Whaaaat?
    [quoted image]

That’s a hell of a stat.

#1069 2 years ago

I will agree the ump has made some bad calls but it’s been on both sides.

Cool/cold and wet weather has been a factor I believe….Astros rarely go this deep with no hits. Some great defense on both sides and overall good pitching has kept this game quiet.

#1070 2 years ago

There ya go…whoever has the hot bats will take it.

#1074 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

Woof, dog of a game from the Stros.

Hey…..it is what it is. Sometimes the bats aren’t there. They had chances with runners on base to do something but didn’t.

#1076 2 years ago

Stros got canned
    [quoted image]

LOL! I wouldn’t call losing 2-0 canned. That’s still a tight game and anyone following the Stro’s knows they can put up 3 runs or more in a heartbeat. That’s not much of a deficit for their offense. The pitching in this game is the real story…it was good all around. Held the Braves to 2 and the Stro’s did nothing.

#1077 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Good game (if you like pitching). Can’t wait to hear A-rod’s take on it. “At the end of the day, the team that scores the most runs is more times than not, going to win the game”.

That’s funny!!!

You are correct. Can’t speak to how good the pitching on both sides was. Even with walks the Astros couldn’t take advantage and score. Tough loss but the Braves were just better tonight.

#1079 2 years ago

Is it me or does Arod look a little thick after his Jlo split? She must have been making him do aerobics

Well not many athletes keep in shape once they retire…most actors/singers/models have to. It’s a must as their careers are longer if they look their best. But they usually can afford the BEST plastic surgeons and trainers. In Arod’s case he has the money but he sits behind a booth and his job doesn’t require it. Not uncommon for athletes to put on a few lb’s once retired. Or for some to shrink….

#1080 2 years ago

Game 4 coming up. Can’t believe last nights game. Great pitching game last night. I expect more action in tonight’s game.

#1082 2 years ago

That’s wishful thinking but it would be great!

#1084 2 years ago

Guys on base early is a good sign but you can’t win if you don’t get runs out of it.

#1085 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

What a fucking play

Yep… hell of a catch.

#1087 2 years ago

I get what you mean think you are right.

#1089 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

Bregs is ice fucking cold right now, guy needs to lock in.

That ain’t no lie. Can’t keep leaving runners on base. This is a close one.

#1091 2 years ago

Because Yordan is not a very fast/agile out fielder. That’s the risk of playing him. You want the big bat in the line up but he is not the best fielder.

#1093 2 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

That’s how you make that catch.

Yes sir. That’s how it’s done.

#1095 2 years ago

Astros had their chances but all the breaks are going the Braves way. Their bats are definitely hot!

#1096 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

What a choke job

Yep…they stranded like 10 or 11 runners. That is not something the Astros do often.

#1100 2 years ago

Game 5….do or die for the Stro’s.

#1101 2 years ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

Carlos, we only have this much chance of winning!
    [quoted image]

That’s exactly right if they don’t put up more runs.

#1104 2 years ago

Hottest bats are taking control early….Astros need a miracle to come back and win this.

It ain’t over but an early congrats to the Braves….your team was kind of the dark horse of the playoffs but your bats came alive!

#1105 2 years ago

Suicide squeeze…why are they not bunting???

#1107 2 years ago

Not sure what a tight helmet has to do with bunting unless you are implying the Astros are big headed LOL!

That would be on Dusty Baker not calling for a bunt. That’s too conservative in a do or die game. That’s the issue with pitchers not practicing or being taught to hit or at least master the bunt. There was a time the NL pitchers were pretty good at bunting. It’s a very strategic play if done correctly. Easy in theory but hard to perfect but it’s a great way for a lousy hitter to advance runners, score a run or get a hit. WHEN designated hitter happens in the NL the bunt will be a lost art. The suicide squeeze play will become a myth generations of fans to come will hear of but seldom if ever see.

#1110 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I think bunting and small ball will eventually be back in vogue at some point, possibly soon. I think teams are coming around to the realization that strikeouts are total rally killers and that balls in play are key. Freddy Freeman is awesome by the way.

I am a huge fan of small ball. You don’t have to crush it every at bat…consistent hits are more important. As a batter if you can master pulling the ball anywhere you can take advantage of the field especially if a team plays the shift. Hits equal rally’s and that’s where teams can put up lots of runs.

#1111 2 years ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

Valdez reminded me of Bo Jackson, always thought his batting helmet didn’t quite fit

Bo Jackson was a beast! Injuries took their toll early. Very talented to be able to play multiple sports at the pro level.

#1114 2 years ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

Greinke is a unicorn

Every National televised game he is in the announcers always comment on what a good athlete he is. Definitely one of the few pitchers that can hit a little bit.

#1115 2 years ago

Now this is the gameplay that was missing in games 3 and 4. Definitely more exciting.

#1116 2 years ago

Deleted.

#1118 2 years ago

There’s the small ball. Altuve gets lots of hits with crazy swings just making contact.

What a steal…close for sure….just not enough to overturn it.

#1120 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

About damn time the bats decided to show up

That’s for sure! It’s not like we got blown out in games 3 and 4. Game 4 we had plenty of chances to put it away and didn’t do it. No shame in losing close games but by the numbers we should have won yesterday and if we win tonight could have been heading back to Houston leading 3-2. Unfortunately we will be down 2-3 so gonna be very tough to pull this out even at home.

#1121 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

When it's that close they're just gonna stick with the call on the field every time

Exactly. We caught a break cause if they had called him out he would have been out.

#1122 2 years ago

If this series goes back to Houston I wonder if the music/sound guy has the balls to play a snippet of Pearl Necklace by ZZ Top…..could always claim he was just wanting to pump up the crowd with the little old band from Texas LOL!

#1123 2 years ago

Back to Houston we go….battled back from almost certain elimination giving up an early grand slam. That’s the Astros we have been waiting for to show up.

Till Tuesday…hope everyone had a god Halloween!

#1127 2 years ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

Getting to take BP before the game definitely helped the Astros. I know neither team was able to in games 3 and 4, but that's gotta have a greater effect on the away team who hasn't played in the Braves stadium in years. Glad we're getting a game 6. It's been a fun series so far, even if I'm gaining grey hairs every inning.

I am sure it had some effect. The fielders also use batting practice to get familiar with the field and how it is going to play. Going in cold clearly gave some advantage to the Braves.

#1128 2 years ago

Do or die game 6 for the Stro’s. They are still the favorite in tonight’s game. Go Stro’s!!!

#1133 2 years ago

Damn, another double play. That is not gonna get the job done.

Yeah, that ball was crushed!

#1157 2 years ago

Congrats to the Braves! Their bats were HOT! Astros had their chances but couldn’t put up runs which cost them games. Still a hell of a season so no shame in losing the WS.

The Astros pitching was going to be an issue and it showed giving up big hits throughout the playoffs. Stro’s bats went cold when needed the most. It’s been a good run these last few years but time to shore up some holes.

#1161 2 years ago

Well we have Altuve, Bregman, and Yordan. Yuli is getting up there so will need someone to groom for 1st base. Brantley is solid but getting old too. Not sure what the plan is for short stop. Correa is gone. He wants 8-10 year deal Astros are at a 5yr deal. Pitching needs to be addressed. Tucker is decent. We have some young talent that could blossom but only time will tell. And Maldonado is up there too so a good catcher is needed. Lots of holes to fill.

#1167 2 years ago

Don’t feed the troll. He is just stirring the pot and won’t move on. Time to call PETA and report him for repeated beating of a dead horse.

We are several years removed from 2017…this is 2021 and no cheating involved. Looking forward to next season as teams begin making moves and prepare for spring training.

#1172 2 years ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

I hit him with an ignore, he's clearly trolling at this point.

Yeah, ignore is a good option.

So it’s just a matter of time and we find out where Correa ends up. Hope we keep Verlander. Depending on his recovery he has a couple years left.

#1196 2 years ago

Well there are only 30 MLB teams and there are PLENTY of TALENTED players that would gladly play for any of them including the Astros.

Just like the 32 teams in the NFL and every spot is coveted.

4 months later
    #1203 2 years ago

Just hoping the Stro’s go easy on Verlander….he has had a LONG time to recover which is good but no one knows how his arm will hold up. If Bregman is finally healthy then we still have a solid line up not counting our pitching. That’s something they need to figure out.

1 week later
    #1218 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

The Dodgers over is 97.5. This is a sure bet. There is no way the Dodgers win less than 100 games this year.

It’s too early to make that bet… injures and a ton of things can happen…good chance they will but 100 wins is tough for any team.

Stro’s looked OK in their opener. They will probably make the playoffs but unless they figure out the pitching I am doubtful they are in a position to win it all. It’s a long season so let’s see where things shake out around September.

1 month later
    #1271 1 year ago

Hey…..in 2005 the Houston Chronicle had a sports headline at the end of may with a tombstone that read R.I.P. Astros. They came back that season to face your White Sox in the WS so the moral here is….

BDD6A093-715C-4C60-AD4A-AA317DDD12E6.gifBDD6A093-715C-4C60-AD4A-AA317DDD12E6.gif
    #1279 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

Better team then the dodgers? Maybe better cheaters..but not a better team..

My goodness…..let it go.

You can’t deny the Stro’s are still a very good team…pitching is likely to be an issue but let’s see if they make a move. They will be in the playoff mix unless they have an epic collapse or a ton of injuries. Same thing could happen to the Dodgers or any other team. There is a lot of ball to be played. Let’s see where things are at the All Star break.

#1283 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

I said that to get a reaction..it’s in the past, n you’re right, time to move on. I agree w your post, as it is a long season, n injuries do/will happen. Losing Dustin May, n now Kershaw to injuries sucks, but next man up. The trade deadline could make things interesting for contending teams

It’s all good! Rivalries can be fun. But the Dodgers are a good team as well and leading their division as expected. No surprises in any of the top teams so far. It will all come down to healthy pitching after the All Star break.

#1284 1 year ago

There are contradicting studies on what significance payroll has on success. For the most part, it's pretty clear that money does play a significant role in regular season success. That advantage is significantly reduced in the postseason.
    People tend to apply too much weight to contradicting statistical outliers on both sides, like the As and the cubs.

For the most part I agree having a roster of paid STUDS almost ensures regular season success. But it sure doesn’t hurt your post season chances but there are some players that don’t rise to the occasion in the post season….

So let’s name players that never performed well in the post season…I will start with A Rod….I don’t believe his post season stats are impressive like his regular season stats.

2 weeks later
    #1353 1 year ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Same 3 batters against too, insane odds.

Wow…just wow. What are those odds? Only 107 immaculate innings have been thrown in MLB. That’s kind of crazy considering how many innings are pitched in an entire season. Figured there would have been more of them. And against the same 3 batters by 2 different pitchers in the same game. Just a weird stat that may stand for a long time.

1 week later
    #1358 1 year ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

Shohei Ohtani hits his second 3 run Homer in the 9th to tie the game last night. He ends up with 8 RBI in a losing effort.
    Tonight he has 12 strikeouts in 7 innings. Wow. I will never witness an 8 RBI game and the next night the guy strikes out at least 12. Pitching a shutout thru 7. Insane.

Amazing for sure!

#1359 1 year ago

How about Yordan Alvarez….dude is a beast and arguably the hottest hitter at the moment….he crushed one today. Go Stro’s!!!

#1360 1 year ago

and though the Stro’s put up a good effort the Yankees exposed the Achilles heel of the Astros…relief pitching. I have said this before the season started is pitching is the weak spot of the Astros. They need another Ace starter and another solid reliever or two if they can get it.

Hats off to the Stankees …..they are playing amazing ball so far this year. Their record is the best because they do what good teams do…they win.

#1365 1 year ago

So the Stro’s dropped the opener but put the stank on the Stankees with a combined no hitter….

#1366 1 year ago

The last time the Yankees were no-hit was 19 years and 15 days ago….and it was against the Astros. That’s pretty interesting.

1 week later
    #1375 1 year ago

Sounds like a great day…. Not as many double headers played these days.

2 weeks later
    #1398 1 year ago

Break is over….kicking it off with a Stro’s and Stankees double header.

I love the smell of the ball park in the morning…it smells like victory.

0B3FF601-AD1A-408B-8B5D-2696862C5909 (resized).jpeg0B3FF601-AD1A-408B-8B5D-2696862C5909 (resized).jpeg
    #1399 1 year ago

Previous pic was a view from center field….it’s just a nice view.

My actual seat…best seats in the house…Crawford Box…..street level walk in and only about 30-50 feet to your seat. Short porch area in Left Field…often the target of sluggers.

B36CF557-4FC4-4BF8-A2CB-1F904ECE6AF5 (resized).jpegB36CF557-4FC4-4BF8-A2CB-1F904ECE6AF5 (resized).jpegEC8CD833-EA9E-49EE-8B38-7771AAAA1378 (resized).jpegEC8CD833-EA9E-49EE-8B38-7771AAAA1378 (resized).jpeg
    #1402 1 year ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

I'll be at the second game today. Go Stros!

We should meet up and have a drink at Joystix/1820 lounge before you head to the park…..the cost for parking is RIDICULOUS…it costs more than the damn tickets LOL!

#1403 1 year ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Yordan is the best hitter in MLB this year. I would do unspeakable things to get him on the Jays haha. If the Jays can't win this year, I'd love to see Dusty get that WS.

Yordan is good..no question.

Dusty has more than paid his dues. I don’t agree with all his decisions but he is OK…and his job is MUCH easier with the talent he has to work with. It would be nice to see him get a ring.

#1404 1 year ago

So the first inning was interesting…the Astros started with back to back bunt base hits….anyone know when the last time that happened?

#1408 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Yeah. 1986. George Wendt just wasn’t quick enough to the ball against the Japanese auto executives. Couldn’t find a clip of it anywhere, surprisingly.

It definitely caught the Yankees by surprise being back 2 back…that was some shit right out of Major League…

#1409 1 year ago

HTown for the win!!!

#1410 1 year ago

Astros on the way to winning the double header….this helps make up some ground on the Yankees…still a lot of games left on the season so it will be a while before we know the full playoff picture. We can assume the Stro’s and Yankees will be in the mix.

I don’t mean to gloat but it just feels good when your team beats the team with best overall record.

#1411 1 year ago

Stro’s won so I can gloat now…at least for tonight.

3 weeks later
    #1467 1 year ago

It’s gonna be a shoot out to see if the Astros or Yankees have the best record in the AL…it’s often noticed a team can “peak” too soon and be flat going into the playoffs and the Yankees may be just that. The Astros have just been consistent all season….they look strong and ready for the playoffs.

The Dodgers are suddenly on fire and the best record overall…Would love a rematch against them with both teams healthy in the WS.

#1473 1 year ago

Astros just crushed the Whitesox….21-5.

#1485 1 year ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Yup. Already planning my games. New format is going to surprise a lot of folks.

Gonna check it out…plan to get tix as early as I can.

#1486 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Albert Puhols has turned out to be a whole lot more than the Cards expected from him this season.
    He's batting .258 and just hit career homer 690 (a Grand Slam) as a pinch hitter. The Cards finally gave Waino some run support as they destroyed the Rockies 13-0.

Hey, a change of scenery can do a lot for a player sometimes….Pujols was still crushing it with the Angels but a bad team is still a bad team. I have so much hate for Pujols as he was an Astros killer in his early days with the Cards but he doesn’t scare us now. Much respect to him as a player as he is a great slugger! A great example is Brad Lidge……his last season with the Stro’s was up and down but we all knew how good he was…he went to the Phillies and pitched his ASS off…I think he had a perfect season with 41 saves in 2008. Lights out Lidge was legit for sure that year.

#1488 1 year ago

And not that the Twins are a bad team but I am sure Correa is saying to himself “I should have taken the 5 years with the Stro’s”…..yeah he is looking for a 7 year deal but the 5 year deal with Stro’s was a very fair offer and he could have asked for incentives in the deal…so if he performed well he could have gotten way more on top of the deal. He fucked up…Astros would have gladly done that deal. Rumor is Correa is looking to opt out with the Twins. Astros have no real interest or incentive to go after him…we are doing fine without him.

#1493 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Well all I know is the hottest team in the NL right now is the St. Louis Cardinals. They've won 8 of their last 10 and have a 5.5 game lead in the Central over the Brew Crew. Goldschmidt and Arenado are on fire and the pitching staff is coming around just in time for a post-season run. The Cards appear to be peaking at just the right time.[quoted image]

Slow your roll….the Dodgers are 7-3 in their last 10 and have 15 more wins than the Cards…I think they have a bigger claim to being the hottest team in the NL and all of baseball at the moment with the BEST record.

#1494 1 year ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

Yup doing fine faking a hit by pitch, whatever those Asstros need to do to win.

Haters gotta hate…I get that but you do realize plenty of players get “grazed” by pitches all the time. It’s the umpire’s that award the hit by pitch and not the players so why don’t you call out the umps.

#1498 1 year ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

I hate the dodgers but you gotta respect the buzz saw they’ve been in the NL so far this year.
    Playoffs are gonna be electric this year. So many stacked teams at the top.

Definitely could be good…the Yankees are struggling but are in the mix. The Dodgers, Astros, Mets, and Braves are definitely the ones that have a good shot. A wild card team could get hot but not likely to beat out these better teams….they are just that much better than everyone else.

#1501 1 year ago
    Quoted from Maken:

That's what people always think, but teams surprise pretty often in MLB. Braves had 88 wins last year, won WS. Nationals were a wild card team in 2019, won WS. Giants did it too in 2014.
    Signed, fan of wild card team

This year looks a little different…seems the top teams have both good pitching and hitting. The Astros fell short with not enough strong pitchers against the Nationals and the Braves. Injuries will do that and that’s part of sports. No sour grapes here as any team would be glad to make it to the WS win or lose.

But that’s what makes the playoffs so great…any team can win it.

#1506 1 year ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

“Hit” by pitch? Best I’ll give you is grazed by pitch if it actually even touched his pants at all.

It’s the umps that make that call…it’s not like Altuve pulled a page from the NBA playbook and fell to the ground flopping….the umps deemed it grazed him…if the ball touches the uniform only the umps will still call it.

If you have a gripe about it then complain about the officiating.

#1507 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

All these cry babies about the Astros is actually making me start to root for them, haha.

Yeah…some people can’t let go. It happened. The only issue I have is with those that won’t/don’t acknowledge that other teams/players did it too…doesn’t excuse what the Astros did but you can’t put a blind eye to the others and only hate on the Astros for it. Did everyone do it…no but there were plenty that did. It’s in the past. Let it go…but if you want to hate on them bring it…5 years later and they are still one of the top teams. It’s good to be hated!

#1508 1 year ago

Anyone watching the Little League WS? It’s fun to watch actually. Gotta support my local Pearland team of course. These kids are pretty good. Amazing level of play for kids…double plays, homers, etc.

#1512 1 year ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

If they came down harder on the Astros they would have had to come down hard on the Red Sox and Yankees too... MLB sent a message without hurting their bottom line. Sign stealing is part of the game. Always has been. Change your signs. Get over it.

And they would have to further investigate ALL the other players/teams that allegedly had people doing it. MLB has made it clear penalties will be more severe for future violations.

Whether the punishment was enough is a different discussion….but people need to quit denying and accept and acknowledge that others did it. If you put a blind eye to that then you are a hypocrite.

#1514 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Again with the straw man BS. People like you just never seem to be able to take responsibility for their own actions. It's always someone else's fault. "Well since I got caught we now need to investigate everyone because I'm not the only one!"
    That's why I won't be surprised if the Astros get caught again with that attitude.
    There are people who commit murder every year who get caught, but according to your failed logic we should just let them go because there are so many other unsolved murders out there.
    MLB does investigate every team. They don't just pick on the Astros. The reality is the Astros committed the worst offense since the "Black Sox" scandal and should thank the stars above that they were allowed to retain their "tainted" World Series Championship. There should be a big asterix next to it.
    I felt bad for the Dodgers. They are the ones who really got screwed.

You don’t even know what you are talking about…MLB chose to ONLY investigate the issue to a certain extent. They did not investigate every team. They wanted to make a point for all teams/players to knock it off or severe punishments will be handed out moving forward.

I am not and never denied what the Astros did…I am just saying why can’t you also admit other teams/players did it. Some got punishment and some didn’t. Simple as that and doesn’t make any of it right.

And now you want to go trolling…are you trying to compare what the Astros did to murder? The Astros did get punished. Did I ever say they shouldn’t..no. All I have said is anyone that won’t admit OTHERS did it is a hypocrite. That’s all. Not asking for any punishment for them either but if you are gonna hate on one you need to hate on all of them….

As for real crime such as murder and such….lock em all up. If you can’t do the time don’t do the crime. Too many second and third chance violent criminals on the streets. Obviously punishments are too lenient and not a deterrent. It’s a broke system…but enough of this.

Back to baseball…

#1532 1 year ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Dodgers came roaring back, winning 10-6 in the 10th inning, at the Fish.
    Dodgers have scored 42 Runs in five Games.
    Wow.
    87-37 50 games over .500

They are CRUSHING IT!!!

#1540 1 year ago

About 30 games to go…the cut to make the playoffs is gonna start to tighten up in a couple weeks. The big dogs will all clench early..it’s really the WC spots that could make this interesting. Time left for several teams to make a run if they get hot.

451 posts in this topic match your search for posts by pickle. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pickle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-mlb-lets-discuss?tu=pickle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.