Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,334 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by rwmech5
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif
    77C39292-D63C-4078-9D52-300569DD8EC9 (resized).png
    28769D05-9042-4282-B49C-307874BAA078 (resized).jpeg
    C1278CE0-45B5-4F2C-ACE2-46BB17A49532 (resized).png
    F4C174DC-06C9-4889-A51E-C07A31071E94.gif
    945D48DC-B341-4ABE-BF2C-235F7552901C (resized).jpeg
    12F05A2F-495C-454D-97CC-2C680CAE08EE (resized).jpeg
    81A581E7-EE18-4034-816D-E81CF0ACFE79 (resized).jpeg
    F63A9B45-CC5A-4200-82EB-FA04FD2D1040 (resized).jpeg
    E1AC5843-B32D-4F9A-A408-6717604B3477 (resized).jpeg
    35D562EE-27A2-463B-8F83-DD78206380A1 (resized).jpeg
    5792C8DA-7991-46EE-AC84-D6DA4DCCB669 (resized).jpeg
    26CABF0F-7879-42E3-999D-CF0473C28046 (resized).jpeg
    2765B6D5-4159-432F-AC4B-0DDD4C359F18 (resized).jpeg
    EE9DF3EF-2EAF-488F-939A-D8AFE00EE82E (resized).jpeg
    4D0F00DF-D3A8-425E-ABE3-55CC0BE2F9AD (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobmathuse.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#381 3 years ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

I just can’t stand Bucks voice anymore.

We miss having Vin Scully on the air for the Dodgers games. I liked Jon Miller when he was doing the Orioles.

The boys in blue Dodged a bullet last night, but there's two more in the barrel yet. I'm betting they don't make it. And what if the 'Stros win it all with a sub-500 regular "season"? Playoffs get too much weight in almost every sport. "Preserving $u$pen$e" (and milking it) kicks out "overall performance."

#396 3 years ago

Anticipating a Blown Save by one team or the other tonight.

#398 3 years ago

Two-fer time: either LA or Tampa Bay will get two championships this year. The Lakers got the basketball title, the Lightning got the Stanley Cup. One of them will get the Meat Loaf title in a week.

#405 3 years ago

Bottom of the 9th inning tonight: THAT was a Grade A double f*-up! Maybe the Dodgers WS jinx is still intact. Tune in tomorrow, same BAT-time, same bat-channel for Episode 5, The Umpire Strikes Back.

#420 3 years ago

And the Dodgers do it. First since 1988.

Major Trivia Time: Tonight was the first World Series game EVER to have more than half the outs made by Strikeouts - - 16 of the 27 Tampa outs and 11 of the 24 Dodger outs, 27 out of 51 total.

#427 3 years ago

Two major controversies emerged from the game: Turner celebrating, often maskless, with the team and their families; and the decision to pull Snell.

On Turner, I'd say it was foolish, but his and their choice to make. The season is over, the bubble is no longer relevant, it's now a question of not being there for a literally once-in-a-lifetime moment vs. uncertain risk to each person's lifetime. Personally, I'd stay safe and celebrate later, but I totally get that others wouldn't, especially in such an emotionally charged moment.

On Snell, I agree with the critics that it was STUPID to pull him (and I live in Dodger-land). I'm an analytics guy by trade; have been for decades. But I know that analytics isn't perfect, and I've learned and taught others to see when to use it and when to override it. Last night was a classic case of poor application. If your starter is having a "typical" outing and your relievers have been having "typical" save results, then yes, make the move. But Snell was having a significantly above-norm outing, and the relievers had been shakier than average recently. In analytics, the good_ practitioners pay attention to data outliers and factor them into the decision-making. Analytics says, "X% of the time, pulling the pitcher is better" where X is something over 50%. Fine. Maybe X is even 75% here. But that other percent of the time, it's the wrong move. You've got to know when you're likely to be in that other 100-X%. For me, there was enough evidence here that this was a needed exception to the "pull" rule. Too many people treat analytics as if X was 100%; it's not.

All my Dodger-fan neighbors are delighted, of course. Plus it sure saved us the problem of when and if game 7 would have been played after Turner tested positive!!

#445 3 years ago

Quoted from SunnRAT:
    That analytics crap is way overrated.

Quotes from CrazyLevi:
    Yeah for 20 years baseball teams been winning with analytics and one Possibly bad decision last night proves it’s all hogwash!

Analytics works, but has its limitations. Too many non-math people treat the output as gospel rather than as a directional indicator. It's important to know what variables are NOT reflected in any model and keep them in mind before making a final decision.

Same in Pinball, BTW. If the "statistically best" strategy on a game is shot or shot sequence X, but you're really dialed in on Y today and or are tending to brick shot X, you're probably better off sticking with Y. Having a "typical" day? Stick with X.

In both the baseball and pinball cases, a "more robust" model would reflect not only the raw odds of a given strategy outperforming one or more other strategies given "average" shot accuracies but have some sensitivity analysis of how great a deviation from "average" accuracy is required to flip the switch on the optimal choice. For Tampa, how much better an ERA or OBPCT or % K's result says keep the guy out there even if the batters see him a third time. For the pinballer, how much does your "hit shot Y" percentage need to go up (or shot X down) from average before you should go with shot Y vs. shot X?

11 months later
    #852 2 years ago

Meanwhile in Dodger-land, they've got a bad case of both scruffy pitching and power-failure offense. There'll be no comeback from down 3-1 this year. Braves & 'Stros in the series won't get the ratings LA-Boston would have, but might be the better pairing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobmathuse.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-mlb-lets-discuss?tu=bobmathuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.