Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,334 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by rwmech5
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif
    77C39292-D63C-4078-9D52-300569DD8EC9 (resized).png
    28769D05-9042-4282-B49C-307874BAA078 (resized).jpeg
    C1278CE0-45B5-4F2C-ACE2-46BB17A49532 (resized).png
    F4C174DC-06C9-4889-A51E-C07A31071E94.gif
    945D48DC-B341-4ABE-BF2C-235F7552901C (resized).jpeg
    12F05A2F-495C-454D-97CC-2C680CAE08EE (resized).jpeg
    81A581E7-EE18-4034-816D-E81CF0ACFE79 (resized).jpeg
    F63A9B45-CC5A-4200-82EB-FA04FD2D1040 (resized).jpeg
    E1AC5843-B32D-4F9A-A408-6717604B3477 (resized).jpeg
    35D562EE-27A2-463B-8F83-DD78206380A1 (resized).jpeg
    5792C8DA-7991-46EE-AC84-D6DA4DCCB669 (resized).jpeg
    26CABF0F-7879-42E3-999D-CF0473C28046 (resized).jpeg
    2765B6D5-4159-432F-AC4B-0DDD4C359F18 (resized).jpeg
    EE9DF3EF-2EAF-488F-939A-D8AFE00EE82E (resized).jpeg
    4D0F00DF-D3A8-425E-ABE3-55CC0BE2F9AD (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Maken.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1324 1 year ago

Seriously? You're shit talking Orioles fans on a pinball forum?

They had some good teams under Buck in the mid 2010s. Adley is gonna be great. Ceddy mull is a beast. Gray-rod coming soon. Don't be a hater.

Go Jays.

#1328 1 year ago

It's Ryu dude... he's been on the team for 3 seasons (and in MLB since 2013) so you should probably know how to spell his name by now lol.

Also, he's not having TJ, he's having exploratory surgury to find out if they can avoid TJ. He's done for the season either way.

Finally, TJ is definitely not minimum 18 months, some guys return much quicker, like 14-15 months.

At least the Orioles didn't disappoint you last night, they beat us despite 'not having a decent team since Ripken!' haha

#1340 1 year ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

There is "insurance" for a portion but the contract still counts towards the luxury tax threshold.

Source?

#1342 1 year ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

Astros tossed not one but two immaculate innings yesterday, not sure you'll ever see that again.

Same 3 batters against too, insane odds.

#1347 1 year ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

Kevin Gasman looked a-fabulous today!

Do you have a source for your claim about Ryus contract being partially insured?

Teams rarely disclose this type of information, which is why I ask.

#1355 1 year ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

They try and keep it quiet but it looks like insurance paid about 16 mil of Jacobys last year so that’s be about 75%. David Wright was another one but not sure about those details. I guess they all might be different.

Ya, pretty sure it's case by case.

Either way, he gone and we need to trade for Frankie Montas.

1 week later
    #1363 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

How about Yordan Alvarez….dude is a beast and arguably the hottest hitter at the moment….he crushed one today. Go Stro’s!!!

His MLB savant page is insane.

airyordan (resized).pngairyordan (resized).png
    2 weeks later
    #1387 1 year ago

White Sox fans certainly hope so!

Happy to have a shakeup in TO, we've been bad all year.

#1389 1 year ago

That was fun to watch, Holmes completely lost it. He had been so consistent, but all relievers have to give one up eventually.

1 week later
    #1401 1 year ago

Yordan is the best hitter in MLB this year. I would do unspeakable things to get him on the Jays haha. If the Jays can't win this year, I'd love to see Dusty get that WS.

#1405 1 year ago

Lack of Pressly hurt there, clutch hit from IKF.

Ya obviously Dusty is mainly the figurehead. The front office is where the success of that organization comes from. Just incredible scouting and development. Every year some free agent leaves for 25/35 million somewhere else, no big deal, just put the next guy in there. Pena looks like a fantastic player, even if his bobble on that potential double play hurt them today heh.

2 weeks later
    #1453 1 year ago

Earlier in the year a misguided Jays fan in this thread was acting like the Orioles are a AAA squad lol, talk about aging like milk! Sports fans love to talk shit, even when they are clueless.

#1454 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

It happens. My dodgers signed Kimbrel, and he’s been shaky as a closer. Should of just resigned Kenley, but that’s baseball at times

They didn't sign Kimbrel. The Cubs did, then they traded him to CWS for Madrigal. Then CWS traded him to your Dodgers for Pollock.

#1471 1 year ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Yup. I want to see how they are going to map out. And who the Rockies “natural rival” is. Lol.
    56 Games in Division — 14 vs. each division rival

60 Games vs. Rest of League — 6 vs. each remaining team in league

46 Games of Interleague Play — 3 games apiece vs. 14 teams in other league; 4 games vs. “natural” rival

Doubt the natural rivals will be changing. For the Rockies, I think it's been the Astros and Rangers.

Added 20 months ago:

Confirmed: Astros

1 week later
    #1482 1 year ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Anyone know when the 2023 schedule will be released? It was August 4th last year so kind of expected it by now. Interested in seeing the new mix between divisions.

Released today!

#1490 1 year ago

My man Oneil Cruz with the hardest hit ball since at least 2015. 122.4 MPH. Beast.

#1497 1 year ago

The only issue I have with the Dodgers is that annoying noise that they play in the stadium when they score runs lol. Other than that, model org.

#1499 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Definitely could be good…the Yankees are struggling but are in the mix. The Dodgers, Astros, Mets, and Braves are definitely the ones that have a good shot. A wild card team could get hot but not likely to beat out these better teams….they are just that much better than everyone else.

That's what people always think, but teams surprise pretty often in MLB. Braves had 88 wins last year, won WS. Nationals were a wild card team in 2019, won WS. Giants did it too in 2014.

Signed, fan of wild card team

#1533 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Spencer Strider on the bump against the Cards now if you guys wanna see some high heat and a lot of strikeouts

Everyone was so focused on Freddie leaving... but now they have a younger, cheaper version of Freddie, plus three big time impact rookies in Strider, Harris and Grissom. They are going to be good for a very long time.

#1537 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

No Arenado for the series, on paternity leave

Series? He is in the lineup today lol.

#1544 1 year ago

Dude is fire. Elite fastball and elite slider, devastating! Move over Smoltzy.

#1549 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Can’t argue 16 Strike outs…that’s legit but they were also playing the Rockies who have the 6 or 7th worst record overall in both leagues….
    He is 9-4 this season but W/L for pitchers is misleading sometimes….he is young and needs some solid 15+ win seasons…he definitely has an arm most teams would love to have as the potential is there. Just putting it in perspective before we jump him to elite status…I suspect if he maintains his progression and consistency he will be in the ranks of current top pitchers soon enough. He is locked up to 2028 I think so could look good for the Braves.

No need to throw shade on the young stud. His savant page screams elite, right now, in 2022:

Screenshot_20220902-215322_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20220902-215322_Firefox.jpg
    #1559 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

I am just being a realist with a little perspective….let’s see him in 3 more seasons….his potential to be even BETTER is very possible.
    Too often we see a young stud pitcher that lights it up and flames out too quick. New pitchers can also get a streak of amazing success as less batters have faced them…give hitters time and they may figure this guy out. The future looks very good for this guy and the Braves have him for the next few years so time will tell but you can’t just lump this guy into elite…is he pitching at a high level….absolutely….is he elite…not until he has ENOUGH stats/accomplishments over time.

Is Albert Pujols elite? Clayton Kershaw? Christian Yelich? Not this year. But, Strider is. So are Shane McClanahan and Alek Manoah. They don't have 3 years either. Nobody cares how many accrued years of service time you have when you are out there absolutely dominating.

#1563 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Wrong…1-2 good seasons does not make a player elite….if Strider stopped pitching today would he make the Baseball Hall of Fame…not even close so you are just being silly at this point. Elite/HOF worthy players that are past their prime are a horrible comparison…they have put in the numbers for multiple seasons to be “thought” of as elite. Let’s discuss this guy in another 3 seasons and we can revisit.

Semantics. Elite right now is elite right now.

#1571 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

I know regular season is not always a good indicator of how the playoffs go but it seems for once all the top teams are fairly healthy….so there should be some good games. The wild card race could get interesting but still too early to tell.

Yankees are not healthy at all, missing players left and right, bullpen is decimated. Rays have not been healthy all year long and will not be for the playoffs. Dodgers are missing 2/5 of their rotation, including their ace Buehler (hopefully Gonsolin can return, but it's a forearm issue). Houston is missing Verlander, Pressly and Brantley, but hopefully they are mostly healthy by October.

Braves, Mets and Cardinals are looking relatively healthy though.

#1586 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Astros injuries are minor…Verlander should be back unless there is any real issue but looks good.
    Overall…the top teams are pretty healthy. The Dodgers are fine…they keep trucking along.
    Of the top teams the Yankees are really the only team struggling….

Just because good teams are able to survive injuries does not mean they do not have injuries. There are plenty of injuries on top teams right now, same as usual.

#1587 1 year ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

I agree, that ball was 6” off the plate. Same crap calls Judge gets all the time, more low out of the zone strikes than anyone. Robo umps can’t get fine tuned and implemented fast enough.

Every single Yankees game they call low strikes on Judge, it's such a joke. Robo umps yesterday please.

#1613 1 year ago

700 watch is officially on, Pujols tied A-Rod yesterday at 696. Redbirds have 22 games left.

#1614 1 year ago

697! LFG

#1628 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

1 more week and we will have a better idea of who is in/out or has a chance for a WC spot.
    In:
    NL West: Dodgers
    NL East: Braves or Mets win division or will be a WC…both are in.
    NL Central: Cardinals (likely)
    WC race: Phillies, Brewers, Padres..any one of them could take it.
    In:
    AL West: Astros (9 wins to clench)
    AL East: Yankees (likely)
    AL Central: Guardians or White Sox. Twins are becoming a long shot.
    WC race: Blue Jays, Rays, Mariners. One of these teams will earn a WC…second WC spot is too close to call….there are also a couple long shot teams that have not been mathematically eliminated but very unlikely they will catch the Rays, Jays, or Mariners. It will probably be these 3 teams fighting for both the WC spots in the AL.

Bro, do you even MLB? There are 3 wild cards spots, not 2 lol.

#1631 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

What are we, 14?

It's a pinball forum. It is a play on Bro, do you even pinball? Whoosh.

#1633 1 year ago

ROFL. Have a good one BRO. Which series will Arenado be missing next? lmao

#1641 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Another big series for the Orioles against the Blue Jays coming up.

After 5 against Tampa... I welcome the change, should be fun.

#1644 1 year ago

Pujols cannot be stopped, 698.

700 seemed impossible 6 weeks ago, now it seems inevitable.

#1645 1 year ago

Dupe.

#1647 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Oh and the Sox just got outplayed and out hustled by a team 35 games under .500. Just one of the lowest baseball IQ teams I’ve ever seen. Elvis Andrus excluded, he’s been phenomenal. I knew he was good, but his baseball IQ and off the charts instincts have just made everyone else look even more clueless.

Was pumped for the 2022 white sox. Two of my favourite pitchers to watch in Lynn and Hendricks. Seemingly stacked lineup. One of the best broadcast booths in MLB. Even as a Jays fan, I wanted them to be good.

But honestly, probably the most disappointing team in the league this season. Big time injury issues in the first half, bad defense all year, seemingly out of touch manager. Hoping for much better luck on the Southside next year.

#1651 1 year ago

What a rough year for Ozzie Albies, breaks his finger one day after missing three months with a broken foot. Hope he makes it back for the post.

#1661 1 year ago

Congrats to Spencer Strider who became the fastest pitcher ever in MLB history to reach 200 strikeouts in a season, beating Randy Johnson.

Elite!

#1686 1 year ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

699 for Albert Pujols. MLB channel showing one of their analysts calling Albert to hit no. 700 off Clayton Kershaw on this Friday night on April 13. Kershaw is pitching tomorrow so if he hits it tonight or tomorrow it's one of the greatest predictions I've ever heard of.
    And Shohei is having a better season than last year. He has 34 hrs, and has struck out over 200 batters. Has the highest OPS batting with runners in scoring position. ERA of 2.47 after tonight. He's 14 - 8 on a shitty team after tonight. He's an all star pitcher. And one of the best hitters in baseball. It's hard to quantify Shohei's talent because we've never seen anything like him.
    And then Albert hits another. 700. WOW. If you watch the play he runs to Adrian Beltre in the stands behind home plate for a high 5 before he runs to his teammates to celebrate.
    What a fukn prediction by that guy to call the exact day on April 13.

Incredible, I was watching MLBN back on April 13 when Greg Amsinger said that, and wow, he almost nailed it. He got everything right except for the Kershaw bit.

Greg is a huge Cardinals fan, and it seemed like he was the only analyst who believed that Pujols would make it to 700 this year.

Personally, I got this very wrong. Thought Pujols had no chance to hit 21 bombs this season. My bad Albert, that's why you're a legend and I'm watching on TV lol.

#1704 1 year ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

Who is the best lights out closer going into the playoffs? Seems like most of the top teams are searching.

Clase and Diaz have been incredible.

#1728 1 year ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

Baffles me that he is not considered the runaway favorite for the AL MVP.

Not only is he not the runaway favourite, he doesn't even have a chance. The writers are picking Judge, end of story.

Personally, I'd like to see a best player award. Avoid the whole "valuable" debate.

#1735 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Another great outing for Verlander! Hard to argue how dominant his pitching has been this year.
    Ohtani is in a class by himself…an ace pitcher and excellent hitter….that’s an MVP in my book….2 players for the price of one…what more does he have to do…..I guess he has to catch his own pitches.
    Judge is a slugger and he is damn good for that role. I don’t know that he’s the MVP though….certainly impressive but it’s ONE stat….I think a 30/30 guy with 100 RBI’s adds more value throughout a season to a team…not many 30/30 guys these days but 30 homers is above average, 30 steals increases run opportunities, and 100 RBI’s means lots of hits and doing it with runners in scoring position. Lots of ways to look at MVP. Many players don’t get awards they arguably should get sometimes unfortunately.

Judge came close to winning the triple crown. He has 16 steals and provides much higher baserunning value than Ohtani who had 11 SB and 9 CS AKA negative value. 133 runs scored, which is 17 more than anyone else in MLB. Leads MLB in OPS by over 100 points. Huge lead in WAR (more WAR than Ohtani's combined total WAR.) He is one of the best outfielders in the league. He has an absolute cannon that is also accurate.

One stat? Wow, what a disservice to one of the best players in the league having one of the best seasons of all time. Casual fan or not, this is a pretty rough take.

Disclaimer: Ohtani is my favourite non-Jays player in the league and deserved MVP over Vlad easily last season.

#1739 1 year ago

Judge has 11.5 fwar this year.

That is one of the 5 best seasons of all time, according to fangraphs. Top 3 are all Barry Bonds.

#1745 1 year ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

What Judge did is definitely impressive, but was nowhere near as exciting as the guys in front of him on the home run list.
    Also WAR is a crappy stat that weights positions differently. Also doesn't account for the ballpark players play in. Give me Ohtani all day over Judge.[quoted image]

WAR has some issues for sure, not perfect by any means. Definitely prefer fWAR (does use park factors for pitching) over bWAR, especially for defensive value.

If you look at the leaders, whether all-time or single season, they are solid lists. Definitely not very far off and constantly being updated for accuracy. There was a big fielding update at the beginning of this season.

As for choosing Ohtani over Judge for MVP, you should place a large wager, because:
    Aaron Judge (Yankees) -30,000
    Shohei Ohtani (Angels) +3,500

So if you have $100 to lay, you can win 3.5k towards your next pin!

(Disclaimer: Please do not actually make this bet, as you will lose)

#1746 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Our season is over, but I'll be tuning in to get the final game on the radio today. Every game with Uecker is a gift, who knows how many more we get.[quoted image][quoted image]

I watch his HOF speech on the reg. He is such a beauty, absolute legend, could've been a comedian.

#1752 1 year ago

Jays lack of a balanced attack hurt them again yesterday. Having just one lefty bat against a top tier right handed pitcher is not ideal. Castillo was incredible though, all credit to him.

#1764 1 year ago

Jays roster needs some work. Team underperformed all year long.

Start by getting 2 or 3 good lefty bats and a few more quality pitchers (some of which must also be lefty).

Until then, they are pretenders.

#1780 1 year ago

DS should be 7 games. 5 just ain't enough after such a long season.

#1785 1 year ago

Let's go Astros. Beat those Ms.

#1802 1 year ago

Yordan Alvarez of the Astros is the first player in MLB postseason history to hit a walk-off HR with his team trailing by multiple runs.

#1915 1 year ago

If big market favourites keep losing in the first round, maybe MLB will finally make the DS seven games like it should be.

1 week later
    #2005 1 year ago

Once again, you can't assume that the higher seeded team will win in baseball.

The wild card era started in 1995 and the top regular season teams from each league have met in the World Series exactly three times.

#2021 1 year ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

Phillies are a big underdog in this series. That’s ok. We like it that way!

Well yeah... Houston has been to 4 WS and 6 CS in 6 years lol.

1 week later
    #2194 1 year ago

Put that toothpick in the HOF

#2270 1 year ago

Rememeber guys, there's an ignore user feature on this forum.

3 months later
    #2328 1 year ago

The changes are fantastic, much more action per minute now.

Baseball fans are generally always against change, and I think most fans will come around on these once they give them a fair chance.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Maken.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-mlb-lets-discuss?tu=Maken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.