Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,334 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by rwmech5
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif
    77C39292-D63C-4078-9D52-300569DD8EC9 (resized).png
    28769D05-9042-4282-B49C-307874BAA078 (resized).jpeg
    C1278CE0-45B5-4F2C-ACE2-46BB17A49532 (resized).png
    F4C174DC-06C9-4889-A51E-C07A31071E94.gif
    945D48DC-B341-4ABE-BF2C-235F7552901C (resized).jpeg
    12F05A2F-495C-454D-97CC-2C680CAE08EE (resized).jpeg
    81A581E7-EE18-4034-816D-E81CF0ACFE79 (resized).jpeg
    F63A9B45-CC5A-4200-82EB-FA04FD2D1040 (resized).jpeg
    E1AC5843-B32D-4F9A-A408-6717604B3477 (resized).jpeg
    35D562EE-27A2-463B-8F83-DD78206380A1 (resized).jpeg
    5792C8DA-7991-46EE-AC84-D6DA4DCCB669 (resized).jpeg
    26CABF0F-7879-42E3-999D-CF0473C28046 (resized).jpeg
    2765B6D5-4159-432F-AC4B-0DDD4C359F18 (resized).jpeg
    EE9DF3EF-2EAF-488F-939A-D8AFE00EE82E (resized).jpeg
    4D0F00DF-D3A8-425E-ABE3-55CC0BE2F9AD (resized).jpeg
    There are 2,334 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 47.
    #1701 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

In general the Astros bullpen is the best in baseball this year I believe so the Astros really have to decide what starter is moving to the bullpen. Its amazing to have that good of pitching this late in the season. Some starters have a hard time transitioning to the bullpen…different mindset as a starter you are planning on multiple innings unless you have a bad day. Many starters need 1-2 innings to settle into the game and can’t just turn it on and bring it for 1-2 innings. Will be interesting to see what they do because someone in the bullpen is gonna get left off the roster that would probably be on a playoff roster for any other team.

I think it will be Verlander, LMJ, Valdez, and Javier as the rotation. Urquidy will help fill out as necessary and garcia along with brown to the pen for mid/long relief. Add that to probably the best pen in baseball and the Stros are looking great.

#1702 1 year ago

I am not a huge baseball trivia nerd but this is interesting….September 26,1981 Nolan Ryan pitched his 5th no hitter against the Dodgers at the Astrodome…at bat for the final out was Dusty Baker who is now the manager for the Astros. Just thought that was interesting as it was just the anniversary of that no hitter.

Good documentary on Netflix called Facing Nolan…worth checking out.

#1703 1 year ago

Jay's clinch a playoff spot. Now I just need them to drop to the 3rd wildcard slot.

#1704 1 year ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

Who is the best lights out closer going into the playoffs? Seems like most of the top teams are searching.

Clase and Diaz have been incredible.

#1705 1 year ago

On vacation in Seattle so off to see a Mariners game….weather is beautiful tonight!

#1706 1 year ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Jay's clinch a playoff spot. Now I just need them to drop to the 3rd wildcard slot.

why ? curious

#1707 1 year ago
    Quoted from luch:

why ? curious

I'd rather see them face Cleveland.

#1708 1 year ago

What is happening with the Mariners??? Rangers just scored 4 runs in the 3rd inning.

#1709 1 year ago

Damn..Mariners answered…we have a tie game!

#1710 1 year ago

Brewers up 2-0 in the 8th and give up a 4jack. jesus.

#1711 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Brewers up 2-0 in the 8th and give up a 4jack. jesus.

Damn! But that’s baseball…

#1712 1 year ago

Good game here in Seattle! Rangers may win it.

#1713 1 year ago

Mariners pulled it out..was a good game to be at.

#1714 1 year ago

And just like that, 1gb!

Yep,
    Wednesday evening was a downer for Braves fans.. Mets are 1 game up on us head to head, so we are looking for 2 out of 3, in this big series here! A sweep would be golden! Playoff atmosphere right now!

#1715 1 year ago

Been a while since the NL East was the complete focus in all of baseball. Last 6 games for both teams are all important. Reminds me of the epic battle between the Braves and Giants in 93!

#1716 1 year ago

Gotta love chasing Degrom!

#1717 1 year ago

Mets vanquished for today! Jansen made it interesting in the ninth, damn.

#1718 1 year ago

Congrats to the Mariners! Long time coming for Seattle!

#1719 1 year ago

Gotta love chasing Scherzer! Swanson the ace killer!!!!! He is the spark again!! Olson looks to be heating back up(thank God)!

#1720 1 year ago

Now for the nail biting! Jansen on the hump...

#1721 1 year ago

A clean inning!! Now lets go for the sweep tomorrow!

#1722 1 year ago

Shohei Ohtani has a 17 game hitting streak right now. He's 15 - 8 on a shitty team (4th most wins). He's 3rd in strikeouts (213), and 4th in ERA (2.35) Great season as a pitcher with 1 more start to come. Had a no hitter with 2 outs in 8th when he gave up hit in last outing.

His batting average is 276. 94 RBI's and he's been stuck on 34 home runs for awhile. Shohei has the highest OPS with batters in scoring position. He's having a better season than last year. This guy continues to amaze me.

#1723 1 year ago

Braves ruin the Mets! Magic number is 1.

#1724 1 year ago

:party:Woo hoo!!!!!

#1725 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Braves ruin the Mets! Magic number is 1.

Enjoy it now.
    Uncle Steve will be almost unstoppable in Year 3.

#1726 1 year ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

Shohei Ohtani has a 17 game hitting streak right now. He's 15 - 8 on a shitty team (4th most wins). He's 3rd in strikeouts (213), and 4th in ERA (2.35) Great season as a pitcher with 1 more start to come. Had a no hitter with 2 outs in 8th when he gave up hit in last outing.
    His batting average is 276. 94 RBI's and he's been stuck on 34 home runs for awhile. Shohei has the highest OPS with batters in scoring position. He's having a better season than last year. This guy continues to amaze me.

Baffles me that he is not considered the runaway favorite for the AL MVP.

#1727 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Enjoy it now.

Metsmerized online is freaking hilarious. The comments are too funny.

#1728 1 year ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

Baffles me that he is not considered the runaway favorite for the AL MVP.

Not only is he not the runaway favourite, he doesn't even have a chance. The writers are picking Judge, end of story.

Personally, I'd like to see a best player award. Avoid the whole "valuable" debate.

#1729 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Enjoy it now.

Im also crushed after last night but also believe the above. Uncle steve wont be fucking around. Though Ive said most of the season I dont think they should pay degrom what hell want for the number of years he wants. Hell want scherzer yearly deal for 5-6 years. F that with his injury history. Id give him exactly scherzers deal for 3 years. Especially if hes human in his playoff start(s) as well. Id rather take that 40 mil sign diaz and another really good starter. Then you decide if you want to resign nimmo or go big for Judge. Marte can play center just fine if they want to chase judge. And for god sakes please sign some decent relievers next year!

#1730 1 year ago

Uncle Steve could have an untimely demise and his estate goes into a quagmire.

#1731 1 year ago

Judge is a helluva player, but let’s not forget some of the greats

08D9D353-845B-4B7E-998D-114E2B3261AA (resized).jpeg08D9D353-845B-4B7E-998D-114E2B3261AA (resized).jpeg
    #1732 1 year ago

Tony Gwynn was incredible to watch.
    Got to meet him once and he was a true gentleman.

#1733 1 year ago

Another great outing for Verlander! Hard to argue how dominant his pitching has been this year.

Ohtani is in a class by himself…an ace pitcher and excellent hitter….that’s an MVP in my book….2 players for the price of one…what more does he have to do…..I guess he has to catch his own pitches.

Judge is a slugger and he is damn good for that role. I don’t know that he’s the MVP though….certainly impressive but it’s ONE stat….I think a 30/30 guy with 100 RBI’s adds more value throughout a season to a team…not many 30/30 guys these days but 30 homers is above average, 30 steals increases run opportunities, and 100 RBI’s means lots of hits and doing it with runners in scoring position. Lots of ways to look at MVP. Many players don’t get awards they arguably should get sometimes unfortunately.

#1734 1 year ago

Rest for a week Bravos, you folks think that is good, or bad for a team?

#1735 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Another great outing for Verlander! Hard to argue how dominant his pitching has been this year.
    Ohtani is in a class by himself…an ace pitcher and excellent hitter….that’s an MVP in my book….2 players for the price of one…what more does he have to do…..I guess he has to catch his own pitches.
    Judge is a slugger and he is damn good for that role. I don’t know that he’s the MVP though….certainly impressive but it’s ONE stat….I think a 30/30 guy with 100 RBI’s adds more value throughout a season to a team…not many 30/30 guys these days but 30 homers is above average, 30 steals increases run opportunities, and 100 RBI’s means lots of hits and doing it with runners in scoring position. Lots of ways to look at MVP. Many players don’t get awards they arguably should get sometimes unfortunately.

Judge came close to winning the triple crown. He has 16 steals and provides much higher baserunning value than Ohtani who had 11 SB and 9 CS AKA negative value. 133 runs scored, which is 17 more than anyone else in MLB. Leads MLB in OPS by over 100 points. Huge lead in WAR (more WAR than Ohtani's combined total WAR.) He is one of the best outfielders in the league. He has an absolute cannon that is also accurate.

One stat? Wow, what a disservice to one of the best players in the league having one of the best seasons of all time. Casual fan or not, this is a pretty rough take.

Disclaimer: Ohtani is my favourite non-Jays player in the league and deserved MVP over Vlad easily last season.

#1736 1 year ago

Also just broke a 61 year record that Ohtani will never come close to. Baseball loves it's past so it's hard to look beyond this. I wonder if any of Ohtani's accomplishment baseballs could fetch into the millions of dollars.

#1737 1 year ago

Did he hit #61 by game 154?
    1961 season was the last season at 154 games.

#1738 1 year ago

American league played 162 in 1961, National league played 154.

#1739 1 year ago

Judge has 11.5 fwar this year.

That is one of the 5 best seasons of all time, according to fangraphs. Top 3 are all Barry Bonds.

#1740 1 year ago

Our season is over, but I'll be tuning in to get the final game on the radio today. Every game with Uecker is a gift, who knows how many more we get.

ueck.gifueck.gifuecker.gifuecker.gif
    #1741 1 year ago

Harry Freakin’ Doyle!

#1742 1 year ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

Rest for a week Bravos, you folks think that is good, or bad for a team?

Im torn. Its a lot of time off and a chance to get rusty. Im a mets fan and they were super hot in the 2015 playoffs. Swept the cubs, Royals went 7 in their series. The Mets had about a week off and suddenly they couldnt hit. They still shouldve won game 1 anyways but I think they were rusty. While I would have massively preferred the mets not choke this year and win the division to set up their pitching perfectly for NLDS. I do think there is a small downside to having 5 days off...When in the season does a team ever have 5 days off? Do they even get that for the all star break?

#1743 1 year ago

"I think everybody could probably sit down in their seats and watch the ballgame now".

What a great guy. Class act. He handled himself like a stud during his homer chase.

Baseball sure seems to have a couple of superstars in Judge and Ohtani who seem to be great people as well. Nice breath of fresh air as I seem to hear an abundance of bad behavior news from athletes.

#1744 1 year ago

What Judge did is definitely impressive, but was nowhere near as exciting as the guys in front of him on the home run list.

Also WAR is a crappy stat that weights positions differently. Also doesn't account for the ballpark players play in. Give me Ohtani all day over Judge.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
    #1745 1 year ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

What Judge did is definitely impressive, but was nowhere near as exciting as the guys in front of him on the home run list.
    Also WAR is a crappy stat that weights positions differently. Also doesn't account for the ballpark players play in. Give me Ohtani all day over Judge.[quoted image]

WAR has some issues for sure, not perfect by any means. Definitely prefer fWAR (does use park factors for pitching) over bWAR, especially for defensive value.

If you look at the leaders, whether all-time or single season, they are solid lists. Definitely not very far off and constantly being updated for accuracy. There was a big fielding update at the beginning of this season.

As for choosing Ohtani over Judge for MVP, you should place a large wager, because:
    Aaron Judge (Yankees) -30,000
    Shohei Ohtani (Angels) +3,500

So if you have $100 to lay, you can win 3.5k towards your next pin!

(Disclaimer: Please do not actually make this bet, as you will lose)

#1746 1 year ago

Our season is over, but I'll be tuning in to get the final game on the radio today. Every game with Uecker is a gift, who knows how many more we get.[quoted image][quoted image]

I watch his HOF speech on the reg. He is such a beauty, absolute legend, could've been a comedian.

#1747 1 year ago

Just checking out scores, and a few surprises..Phillies w the comeback, n the Indians err guardians beating the rays..

#1748 1 year ago

That Phillies comeback was nuts!

#1749 1 year ago

Manoah got rolled today. Too much rookie adrenaline. Typical young team not ready for prime time.

#1750 1 year ago

Castillo was on fire. 7 shutout

There are 2,334 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-mlb-lets-discuss/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.