Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,334 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by rwmech5
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif
    77C39292-D63C-4078-9D52-300569DD8EC9 (resized).png
    28769D05-9042-4282-B49C-307874BAA078 (resized).jpeg
    C1278CE0-45B5-4F2C-ACE2-46BB17A49532 (resized).png
    F4C174DC-06C9-4889-A51E-C07A31071E94.gif
    945D48DC-B341-4ABE-BF2C-235F7552901C (resized).jpeg
    12F05A2F-495C-454D-97CC-2C680CAE08EE (resized).jpeg
    81A581E7-EE18-4034-816D-E81CF0ACFE79 (resized).jpeg
    F63A9B45-CC5A-4200-82EB-FA04FD2D1040 (resized).jpeg
    E1AC5843-B32D-4F9A-A408-6717604B3477 (resized).jpeg
    35D562EE-27A2-463B-8F83-DD78206380A1 (resized).jpeg
    5792C8DA-7991-46EE-AC84-D6DA4DCCB669 (resized).jpeg
    26CABF0F-7879-42E3-999D-CF0473C28046 (resized).jpeg
    2765B6D5-4159-432F-AC4B-0DDD4C359F18 (resized).jpeg
    EE9DF3EF-2EAF-488F-939A-D8AFE00EE82E (resized).jpeg
    4D0F00DF-D3A8-425E-ABE3-55CC0BE2F9AD (resized).jpeg

There are 2,334 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 47.
    #1251 1 year ago

How many of those hit by pitches for Alonso were intentional? It's pretty-obvious neither one was.

As a pitcher I'd feel a lot worse if intentionally beaned a batter than if I did it accidentally. Especially if it ended their career.

#1252 1 year ago

I think the DH is crap. It takes a lot of strategy out of the game. Not to mention, I always enjoyed the advantage it gave the National league in the World Series for staying true to the spirit of the game.

#1253 1 year ago

As a batter, I guarantee I feel a whole lot worse getting hit by the pitch than how you “feel”

#1254 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

My panic was preseason so I’m good now. I’m in the acceptance phase. Haha. Just hoping for good weather at all the games I attend.

At this point, Reds fans should boycott. The reason the Dodgers almost always field a competitive team is that our fan base would not put up with this nonsense. I’m starting to realize why the Dodgers over/under was only 97.5. The west is really strong this year. Also, nice to see Madison Bumgarner get tossed in the first inning tonight after the ump stared him down. His name suits him. He’s a bum and he cries like a girl.

42DBBA3D-1CA7-4399-8E53-614C0CFF974B (resized).png42DBBA3D-1CA7-4399-8E53-614C0CFF974B (resized).png
    #1255 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

At this point, Reds fans should boycott.

Or I can go to the games I already bought and spend time with my family. Yeah. I’m gonna do that instead.

My magic number is 93!

#1256 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Or I can go to the games I already bought and spend time with my family. Yeah. I’m gonna do that instead.
    My magic number is 93!

Make a statement. Leave the seats empty. Take the family for a picnic to a nice park.

#1257 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Make a statement. Leave the seats empty. Take the family for a picnic to a nice park.

Going to the game is a nice park. . Guess we’re screwed right? Haha

#1258 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

At this point, Reds fans should boycott. The reason the Dodgers almost always field a competitive team is that our fan base would not put up with this nonsense. I’m starting to realize why the Dodgers over/under was only 97.5. The west is really strong this year. Also, nice to see Madison Bumgarner get tossed in the first inning tonight after the ump stared him down. His name suits him. He’s a bum and he cries like a girl.
    [quoted image]

Dodgers have always drafted well, and the farm system has so many top prospects. Nice to see the dodgers put a beat down on sf last night.

#1259 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

Dodgers have always drafted well, and the farm system has so many top prospects. Nice to see the dodgers put a beat down on sf last night.

Swept them.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Going to the game is a nice park. . Guess we’re screwed right? Haha

If you remember the Frank McCourt years, he was a parking garage owner from Boston who had no business owning a major league team. He put no money into the Dodgers. He split them up into a bunch of shell companies and siphoned off profits and tried to say the team was losing money when they obviously weren’t.
    The fans and beat writers revolted. The dodgers always drew the most in the entire league, but the stadium became empty. They used to announce the attendance at 35-40k when it was more like 15-20k. Anyway, the entire city basically forced MLB to make McCourt sell the team.

#1260 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

If you remember the Frank McCourt years

I’m only 37. Haha. The dodgers have been good for my whole life I think.

#1261 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m only 37. Haha. The dodgers have been good for my whole life I think.

I’m 51, and became a fan during the Garvey, Lopes, Cey, Russell and ‘Fernando mania’ days. Still 1 of my fave sports stadiums to go to ..all the pretty latinas don’t hurt either

#1262 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

I’m 51, and became a fan during the Garvey, Lopes, Cey, Russell and ‘Fernando mania’ days. Still 1 of my fave sports stadiums to go to ..all the pretty latinas don’t hurt either

Hope I can see it one day. Had a blast in LA for my first time for the Super Bowl.

#1263 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

Played golf yesterday with a Dodger scout. I asked if he agreed with my opinion that Mike Trout is the best ballplayer I've ever seen. He is just a better player than Bonds was in Pittsburgh before he blew up on steroids. He agreed that in our generation Trout is the best all around ballplayer.

And then I asked where do you put Shohei Ohtani after last year. Best season I've ever seen. He agreed. He claimed he hasn't rated anyone near as high as where he rated Shohei when he was in Japan. There is nothing like this guy.

He said the Dodgers are following Barcelona's (soccer) lead and are seriously scouting athletes in Africa. Not a joke. I just met him, as I had been injured and not been a member the last few years. But he's been playing with my buddies when in town and they all said he was serious. Supposedly some great athletes in an area like the area in the Dominican Republic that has produced great baseball players.

#1264 1 year ago

Sorry, but I just don’t get all the Mike Trout fuss. He’s a really good player. But looking at his career home runs and batting average, nothing stands out as being best in baseball worthy. And he’s certainly no leader. Has got the charisma of a coat hanger. Hasn’t even led his team to a playoff series win.

#1265 1 year ago

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/10-years-of-mike-trout-celebrating-10th-anniversary-of-angels-stars-mlb-debut-with-10-incredible-stats/amp/

Also, with how baseball works, it’s almost impossible for a single player to take over a postseason and carry their team single handily. All the time you have pitchers crush start after start and get zero run support. Or hitters get on base every time up only to not have help before or after they hit.

#1266 1 year ago

Two words. Kirk Gibson. Turned around a lousy Dodger culture in one year from bottom dwellers to World Series champions. It’s also about clutch hitting. Clutch hitting is contagious. The dodgers had great teams, but they always hit the wall in the NLCS because of lousy RISP average. It took Mookie Betts to get them over the hump.
    Some players have it, like Jeter and David Ortiz, some players don’t like the dude that dated JLo. This is Mike Trouts year to show if he has it or not.

#1267 1 year ago

I think Mike trout has had it for a decade.

3 weeks later
    #1268 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Sorry, but I just don’t get all the Mike Trout fuss. He’s a really good player. But looking at his career home runs and batting average, nothing stands out as being best in baseball worthy. And he’s certainly no leader. Has got the charisma of a coat hanger. Hasn’t even led his team to a playoff series win.

Lol. I think/hope you’re trolling but if you’re not then you don’t watch enough baseball to realize that he’s a generational talent. I mean the numbers are overwhelming, but just watch the dude play. He’s also regarded as the gold standard with his fellow players so… That being said, he’s exhibit A for why pitching wins rings.

#1269 1 year ago

Reds going for the sweep today against the Giants! Woot! Time to dust off my brooms and head down for a rare morning baseball game. 11:35 eastern.

#1270 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Reds going for the sweep today against the Giants! Woot! Time to dust off my brooms and head down for a rare morning baseball game. 11:35 eastern.

I saw a stat that the Reds have the second or third best record in baseball over the last 3+ weeks which is the most baseball thing ever. This has been the most frustrating season I can remember as a White Sox fan, but I still keep telling myself that it’s still May and there’s four more months left. That being said, Tim Anderson is hurt now so we’re done haha.

#1271 1 year ago

Hey…..in 2005 the Houston Chronicle had a sports headline at the end of may with a tombstone that read R.I.P. Astros. They came back that season to face your White Sox in the WS so the moral here is….

BDD6A093-715C-4C60-AD4A-AA317DDD12E6.gifBDD6A093-715C-4C60-AD4A-AA317DDD12E6.gif
    #1272 1 year ago

Enough with the "genius" of the Dodgers and their scouting of athletes. Let's explain their success in more simple terms for all to understand.

The Top 4 Payrolls in MLB 2022
    1) LA Dodgers = $277,108,333
    2) NY Mets = $253,119,999
    3) NY Yankees = $240,290,714
    4) Philadelphia Phillies = $221,738,462

https://boardroom.tv/mlb-team-payrolls-2022/

#1273 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Enough with the "genius" of the Dodgers and their scouting of athletes. Let's explain their success in more simple terms for all to understand.

And they have the top rated farm system, it’s more than just money

#1274 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

And they have the top rated farm system, it’s more than just money

Also their development of players who were basically discarded and turned into all stars like Max Muncy, Justin Turner, and Chris Taylor. The Dodgers are well run organization nowadays.

#1275 1 year ago

Just dropping in to remind the snowflakes in here that the Astros are still better than your respective teams.

#1276 1 year ago
    Quoted from attyrhodes:

Just dropping in to remind the snowflakes in here that the Astros are still better than your respective teams.

Better team then the dodgers? Maybe better cheaters..but not a better team..

#1277 1 year ago

I’m a Mets fan, but in my warped way of thinking, there are certain teams that should always be good.
    I probably believe this because they were so good when I was a kid.
    A’s - Bert Campeneris, Vida Blue, Reggie, Sal Bando, Gene Tenace. And they had so many cool variations of that green and gold uniform.
    Reds - Bench, Morgan, Rose. I’ll never forget what those guys did to the Yankees in ‘77. They not only beat them, but they embarrassed them. I once saw Bench throw out Joel Youngblood at 2nd without rising from his crouch. That’s insane.
    Orioles - When Palmer was pitching, Robinson was at 3rd, Belanger at short and Paul Blair manning CF, they were smoother than a hot knife through butter.
    Royals - Brett is one of the 3 best players I’ve ever seen.

Man, I’m old.

#1278 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

If it was as easy as that the Phillies wouldnt be an absolute mess and the Tampa Bay Rays would be awful every year. The braves have been good a lot with middling payrolls. Twins this year are good. I think the top 3 teams listed there(im a massive mets fan) have a nice mix of players they developed and players they added through free agency. I mean with the Mets Degrom, Mcneil, alonso, nimmo, megill etc are all home grown. In their previous WS run it was a lot of home grown and then they traded for Cespedes. But that rotation of Harvey, degrom, (wheeler was hurt that year) was homegrown. Yes Wheeler was drafted by the Giants and then the mets traded beltran for him. Nowadays even Edwin Diaz was acquired by trading homegrown talent as well as Lindor(then signing him to massive extension). Diaz will get his money next year.

The best teams develop the farm extremely well and spend wisely in free agency. Now what the money really gives you the ability to do is make mistakes. Lindor is great but hes not 35m a year great(so far). But the Mets with Steve Cohen now can absorb that. The mets can give Fuck you money to Max Sherzer for 3 years because the owner doesnt care about money. And now hes out for like 3 months but their farm depth in David Peterson, Tylor Megill, etc help them absorb that for a while.
    The Yankees can absorb some shitty contracts. The mets paid Robinson Cano 36 million over 2 years to go away. The mid tier teams cant do that.

#1279 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

Better team then the dodgers? Maybe better cheaters..but not a better team..

My goodness…..let it go.

You can’t deny the Stro’s are still a very good team…pitching is likely to be an issue but let’s see if they make a move. They will be in the playoff mix unless they have an epic collapse or a ton of injuries. Same thing could happen to the Dodgers or any other team. There is a lot of ball to be played. Let’s see where things are at the All Star break.

#1280 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

My goodness…..let it go.
    You can’t deny the Stro’s are still a very good team…pitching is likely to be an issue but let’s see if they make a move. They will be in the playoff mix unless they have an epic collapse or a ton of injuries. Same thing could happen to the Dodgers or any other team. There is a lot of ball to be played. Let’s see where things are at the All Star break.

I said that to get a reaction..it’s in the past, n you’re right, time to move on. I agree w your post, as it is a long season, n injuries do/will happen. Losing Dustin May, n now Kershaw to injuries sucks, but next man up. The trade deadline could make things interesting for contending teams

#1281 1 year ago

Yeah you can preach to us about how "great" the Yankees and Dodgers are but there's no denying that when your team payroll is twice as much as the average team's it tends to give you a little bit of an advantage.

1) LA Dodgers = $277,108,333 ---- Solidly in 1st place in their division
    2) NY Mets = $253,119,999 ---- Solidly in 1st place in their division
    3) NY Yankees = $240,290,714 ---- Solidly in 1st place in their division
    4) Philadelphia Phillies = $221,738,462 ---- Currently 3rd place in their division (behind the Mets & Braves)

#1282 1 year ago

There are contradicting studies on what significance payroll has on success. For the most part, it's pretty clear that money does play a significant role in regular season success. That advantage is significantly reduced in the postseason.

People tend to apply too much weight to contradicting statistical outliers on both sides, like the As and the cubs.

#1283 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

I said that to get a reaction..it’s in the past, n you’re right, time to move on. I agree w your post, as it is a long season, n injuries do/will happen. Losing Dustin May, n now Kershaw to injuries sucks, but next man up. The trade deadline could make things interesting for contending teams

It’s all good! Rivalries can be fun. But the Dodgers are a good team as well and leading their division as expected. No surprises in any of the top teams so far. It will all come down to healthy pitching after the All Star break.

#1284 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

There are contradicting studies on what significance payroll has on success. For the most part, it's pretty clear that money does play a significant role in regular season success. That advantage is significantly reduced in the postseason.
    People tend to apply too much weight to contradicting statistical outliers on both sides, like the As and the cubs.

For the most part I agree having a roster of paid STUDS almost ensures regular season success. But it sure doesn’t hurt your post season chances but there are some players that don’t rise to the occasion in the post season….

So let’s name players that never performed well in the post season…I will start with A Rod….I don’t believe his post season stats are impressive like his regular season stats.

#1285 1 year ago

How the heck do the Dodgers get swept at home to the pirates. I believe they’re 1-5 this year against them.

#1286 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

How the heck do the Dodgers get swept at home to the pirates. I believe they’re 1-5 this year against them.

and then they give up 1 run over 2 games to my Mets. Its baseball. Long season. Wierd shit happens heh

#1287 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

and then they give up 1 run over 2 games to my Mets. Its baseball. Long season. Wierd shit happens heh

Yeah that sort of made up for it.

#1288 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Lol. I think/hope you’re trolling but if you’re not then you don’t watch enough baseball to realize that he’s a generational talent. I mean the numbers are overwhelming, but just watch the dude play. He’s also regarded as the gold standard with his fellow players so… That being said, he’s exhibit A for why pitching wins rings.

Leading his team once again to mediocrity. He’s a loser.

#1289 1 year ago

Trout needs to be in a big market. Bright lights will make him better.

#1290 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Leading his team once again to mediocrity. He’s a loser.

Do you have some players in mind that you feel are better than Trout?

#1291 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Do you have some players in mind that you feel are better than Trout?

Starting lineup for the Dodgers. Duh.

#1292 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Starting lineup for the Dodgers. Duh.

Ahhhh. I see. I love Mookie Betts and he’s one of baseball’s absolute best 5 tool players (at 5’9” 175 no less). But I’m pretty sure he would even tell you that Trout is at another level.

#1293 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Ahhhh. I see. I love Mookie Betts and he’s one of baseball’s absolute best 5 tool players (at 5’9” 175 no less). But I’m pretty sure he would even tell you that Trout is at another level.

Pretty sure my new golfing buddy signed Mookie in Boston. And now he's a top Dodgers executive from his prior success. And he, like most every sober baseball executive believe Trout is a once in a generation player. Dodgers are my favorite team. It would be incredible to see him in Dodger blue.

#1294 1 year ago

Huge jays fan but come on as a Tigers fan how do you stay interested . Time to cut innings to 7 ? 10 -0 jays in the 5th? Games are too long 3-5 hours?

#1295 1 year ago

I buy 20 game packs to the reds and still end up going to 25-30 games and watch at least a few innings every night. Imo with baseball, you either got that bug or you don’t. Can’t force it.

All the stats are so cool too. Love that aspect of it. My wife and I want to be those two old farts that manually keep score at games during retirement.

#1296 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Huge jays fan but come on as a Tigers fan how do you stay interested . Time to cut innings to 7 ? 10 -0 jays in the 5th? Games are too long 3-5 hours?

Well the Jays were pretty bad for a few years before all their studs were brought up or ready to shine. I thought the Tigers were going to be decent this year but yikes. I also thought that watching the White Sox this year wouldn’t make me want to put my fist through the wall every other inning…

#1297 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Well the Jays were pretty bad for a few years before all their studs were brought up or ready to shine. I thought the Tigers were going to be decent this year but yikes. I also thought that watching the White Sox this year wouldn’t make me want to put my fist through the wall every other inning…

Jays will make the playoffs but Yankees only lost 16 games? Thank God for wild cards

#1298 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I buy 20 game packs to the reds and still end up going to 25-30 games and watch at least a few innings every night. Imo with baseball, you either got that bug or you don’t. Can’t force it.
    All the stats are so cool too. Love that aspect of it. My wife and I want to be those two old farts that manually keep score at games during retirement.

My daughter went to the Sox game yesterday and befriended the old timer next to her who was apparently keeping an immaculate scorebook. He attends 40-50 games a year by himself and she said outside of their brief conversations he only tsked, grunted, and sighed the whole game haha.

#1299 1 year ago

Why not a 3 hour clock that ticks down with no delay crap

#1300 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Jays will make the playoffs but Yankees only lost 16 games? Thank God for wild cards

Yeah that AL east is brutal. Thankfully the White Sox only have a series with the Jays and Orioles and they’re done. That stretch where they played the Yankees, Red Sox, and Jays on the road when all three were on fire completely sent them into a tailspin.

There are 2,334 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2019-mlb-lets-discuss/page/26?hl=in2kiss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.