(Topic ID: 239283)

2019 Market. Wow, just look at the prices!

By wayout440

82 days ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 80 days ago by fisherdaman
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 82 days ago

I scan the Market section occasionally, man - just look at the prices! Maybe its just me, but across the board, it doesn't matter what you are into but it seems they are jacked up out here big time.

#2 82 days ago

It's the sign of the times... Economy is good and Pinball is the rage now. Prices are going to go up across the board. NIB games are more expensive and so are the classic used games. The bottom line is people are paying more for nice games and the market responds in kind. Is this a good thing? I think it is a Paradox. Good because my games go up in value, bad because it costs me more to buy another game. So maybe it is best to just hold onto your money for a time where prices start to head down. From what I am hearing in the financial sector, we may be heading for some tougher times as the global economies slow down. Enjoy what you got for now and be smart with your money.

#3 82 days ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Enjoy what you got for now and be smart with your money.

Certainly agree. We're going on a vacation next month.

#4 82 days ago

I'm mostly out of the pinball market..... Glad I bought when I did.
    I've seen some crappy (D list) games that couldn't sell for 1500 dollars two years ago, listed for 4000 dollars these days.
    I'm sure they don't sell, but still... crazy.

#5 82 days ago

With the volume of new titles hitting the market this year, I think DMD era titles are going to be pushed down in value a bit here soon. This doesn't include the A-listers so much, but I see some pressure coming on the $3000-$4000 price point games when lightly routed Stern pro's are out there at $4000-$4500. Route operators are going to be dumping more lightly routed games on the market as they try to keep up with the flavor of the week titles coming out.

#6 82 days ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

With the volume of new titles hitting the market this year, I think DMD era titles are going to be pushed down in value a bit here soon. This doesn't include the A-listers so much, but I see some pressure coming on the $3000-$4000 price point games when lightly routed Stern pro's are out there at $4000-$4500. Route operators are going to be dumping more lightly routed games on the market as they try to keep up with the flavor of the week titles coming out.

Looking at the used market for Sterns, we may be starting to see the self cannibalization as the result of over production.

#7 82 days ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

With the volume of new titles hitting the market this year, I think DMD era titles are going to be pushed down in value a bit here soon.

I disagree. There's a reason so many DMD era games cost as much or more than a new Stern. If you want to fret over a market segment, the used Stern market is starting to slump. When a slightly used Munsters is selling for less than a players condition Addams Family... well, I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

#8 82 days ago

I'm just glad someone finally noticed.

#9 82 days ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I disagree. There's a reason so many DMD era games cost as much or more than a new Stern. If you want to fret over a market segment, the used Stern market is starting to slump. When a slightly used Munsters is selling for less than a players condition Addams Family... well, I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

This is more where I am coming from...and i'm just one random guy:

I'm of the belief that TAF sells for more more because of nostalgia and status over being a supremely great game commanding $7k worth of fun. I am not saying its a crap game by any means, it just doesn't hold its own in my own measurement of dollars per hour of fun ratio. Lots of people love it, but i'm not one of them that would ever love it enough to own it at current market prices...so this is good news for me. If what you say is true about Stern Pro machines...and it appears to be looking that way, i'll have a wall full of pro's when they trend under 4k. I get more hours of fun out of GOT, IMDN, etc than I do with WH20, IJ, TAF, CFBL, etc. Doesn't mean I won't put some quarters in them on location, but I would rather invest $4k in a deeper modern game when it comes to home use.

#10 82 days ago

What concerns me is all these high value pins hitting the market in the last month. Think it was like two or three Big Lebowski's, two Magic Girls, a freaking NIB Big Bang Bar.

Then last Friday the treasury bill chart inverted and the stock market dropped. These people selling these high value pins know something we don't? Trying to get cash now to shelter a bit of the storm?

#11 82 days ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

What concerns me is all these high value pins hitting the market in the last month. Think it was like two or three Big Lebowski's, two Magic Girls, a freaking NIB Big Bang Bar.
    Then last Friday the treasury bill chart inverted and the stock market dropped. These people selling these high value pins know something we don't? Trying to get cash now to shelter a bit of the storm?

Doubt the members on here that closely watch technical market trends are worrying about selling their pins to shelter wealth. Probably opposite - they want their pins to have fun and take their minds off money, politics, etc. More likely, they are just worried about “rumors” that the games are going to be remade, or will break down and be a PITA to repair.

#12 81 days ago

People can ask whatever they want, it doesn't mean the games are selling. Used games on craigslist are sitting months right now for prices that would have had them sold a few months ago.

The pinball market, at least in some places, is getting softer.

Quoted from wayout440:

just look at the prices! Maybe its just me, but across the board, it doesn't matter what you are into but it seems they are jacked up out here big time.

#13 81 days ago

The joke has to be changed to 20k by Christmas at this point....

#14 81 days ago

The same could be said about stocks, real estate, and other collectibles. Low interest rates and a healthy economy lead people to be optimistic and spend $.

#15 81 days ago

Couple years ago all Williams top games wouldn't sit on the market more than 5 min when listed at fair and above market value at the time...

Not the case now with a shit load of games coming out...

Like jodi said , would u rather have a 2018 stern that wont break down or a a 1990s with issues....

Eventually the nostalgia wears off and code creeps in to affect lastability in a home environment...

Dmds eill become what solid states are currently to dmds... its s matter of time.

And it can only go down from this point on.

#16 81 days ago
    Quoted from Liakos:

2018 stern that wont break down or a a 1990s with issues....

Yes cause node boards never break. Atleas 90s pin are fully repairable.

#17 81 days ago

Any machine can break at any time new old or otherwise. It really isnt about how old your game is, it’s about how many plays it has and how well it is maintaned.
    My games are all WPC-95 now I have almost no issues at all. A broken wire a bad switch thats it.

#18 81 days ago

Bad wording on my end....

Basically, my opinion is eventually the top William's games will fade with respect to what's coming soon...

I remember when entering hobby I was longing the day a tom, totan, Adam's etc eould come on the market.for me to buy...( I'm in canada)..
    Gone are those days....

With elwin on the scene, bowden, timballs, bowens etc all this new fresh blood they will make old games look like shit...

This is coming from a guy who currently owns 7 top William's games.. I love them and think currently they are best built, best looking, best shooters etc.... but their days are coming up where they will be overruled..

I mean it's starting to happen currently...
    Their prices will only start to drop more..
    Again we are seeing this currently....

He who has patience right now can buy these games in the future at a cheaper price..

Just my opinion

#19 81 days ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Yes cause node boards never break. Atleas 90s pin are fully repairable.

True that. I regularly go for a long time before something actually breaks on one of the route games I service. I went a full year without needing to get into the backbox of a system 11 game. The glass definitely took some convincing before it would slide out. And it turned out the problem I was having wasn't even in the backbox.

#20 81 days ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

People can ask whatever they want, it doesn't mean the games are selling.

True, and I have always known that. Perhaps it appears I am seeing more listings with higher prices? It also appears more of those are being sold as well, the problem is that without a disclosed price one can only assume the final agreed upon price was somewhere in the ballpark of the giant price tag.

Most posters in this thread will be talking a lot about newer games, recent Stern, boutique releases, NIB remakes, etc., all that are very much untouchable price-wise for me. When games go much over $3000 I am not even paying attention. I hardly follow those prices at all, my focus is on older solid state, Mostly mid 90's and before. Maybe there is a strong trickle down effect from the top level pricing to the lower tiers? ....don't know. I don't know enough about the high end to even discuss them. I'm just seeing a lot more early SS games that are just average, nice games, maybe cleaned up with some new rubber....then I look at the asking price and it's not even in what I expect to be the negotiable range - not even close, I'm looking at the game and thinking, where's the gold plating and diamond studs for what you are asking? I'd hate to be in a buying position right now, because it would take forever to find a game I could afford.

#21 81 days ago
    Quoted from Liakos:

Bad wording on my end....
    Basically, my opinion is eventually the top William's games will fade with respect to what's coming soon...
    I remember when entering hobby I was longing the day a tom, totan, Adam's etc eould come on the market.for me to buy...( I'm in canada)..
    Gone are those days....
    With elwin on the scene, bowden, timballs, bowens etc all this new fresh blood they will make old games look like shit...
    This is coming from a guy who currently owns 7 top William's games.. I love them and think currently they are best built, best looking, best shooters etc.... but their days are coming up where they will be overruled..
    I mean it's starting to happen currently...
    Their prices will only start to drop more..
    Again we are seeing this currently....
    He who has patience right now can buy these games in the future at a cheaper price..
    Just my opinion

If your logic was sound, then we'd see all those SS system 11 games and bally games in the 1K range. Instead they're commanding 2k to 3k nowadays. The entire market is inflated. DMD games are not going to drop with the influx of Stern games anymore than EM or SS games have dropped. Just the opposite...

#22 81 days ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

Supposedly theres been a recession within 2 years every time but once over the past 50 years when the treasury bill chart has inverted. A recession every 5 - 10 years seems normal though, just hopefully it won't be anywhere near as bad as the last one.

As for the games being listed they all have one thing in common and it's that theres rumors all 3 could be remade which is making some sellers list theirs.

#23 81 days ago

My logic is sound as I didn't mention ss......System 11 and William b games are ones that will hold value...

Like housing market... when market starts to correct itself, the higher prices homes fall and little bungalows etc maintain as they are more affordable bro....

B kool and stay fit

#24 81 days ago

Classic games have a fixed (and slowly declining) number available. Each newer stern title gets produced for a few years, and the games aren't difficult to acquire in most cases either as NIB or second-hand.

Supply & demand is still a significant factor in pricing.

#25 81 days ago
    Quoted from Liakos:

My logic is sound as I didn't mention ss......System 11 and William b games are ones that will hold value...
    Like housing market... when market starts to correct itself, the higher prices homes fall and little bungalows etc maintain as they are more affordable bro....
    B kool and stay fit

Lol...I've heard cargumemts before....now we're using housing bubbles? You do realize housing is a necessity...pinball machines are not. Not even remotely the same economic dynamics at play.

#26 81 days ago
    Quoted from Liakos:

Like jodi said , would u rather have a 2018 stern that wont break down or a a 1990s with issues....

I recently got a Stern Star Trek pro. One week later a transistor failed and took out a column of switches. Of course it happened the night before we were hosting our local league and thus we couldn't play it.

#27 81 days ago

I simply have not bought any games at market value for the last five years unless they were under 1K. When the going rate for a Swords of Fury or a Mousin' Around is over 2K, I simply just can't justify it. I have less invested in my entire collection than some people have in a single LE machine and that fact alone blows my mind.

Instead, I've just been waiting patiently for good deals to pop up and then try to trade for the games I want. It's more exciting that way at least!

#28 81 days ago

I am one of the ones that bought and acquired a collection yesteryear. Sold off most of that collection recently for (sometimes) double what I paid for them. Then bought other games (sometimes more expensive) with that money. I have a small collection of A titles now but no money to buy anymore games unless I sell something. I think there are a lot people that are in that boat. Don't really want to sell any of their games to buy a new one, and can't come up with the cash to add one. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining by any means just stating my buying position at the moment.

#29 81 days ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

I am one of the ones that bought and acquired a collection yesteryear. Sold off most of that collection recently for (sometimes) double what I paid for them. Then bought other games (sometimes more expensive) with that money. I have a small collection of A titles now but no money to buy anymore games unless I sell something. I think there are a lot people that are in that boat. Don't really want to sell any of their games to buy a new one, and can't come up with the cash to add one. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining by any means just stating my buying position at the moment.

Kind of the boat I'm in. Acquired most of my collection in the early 2000s. I can remember when 4k MB was outrageous. I bought my SS, CFTBL, and other A titles for less than 2k. I bought lots of system 11 stuff for $500 to $800 and parlayed those into $ for newer Spooky titles. But I'm out of the new game chase. I buy for value and deals or not at all for now.

#30 81 days ago
    Quoted from Liakos:

Basically, my opinion is eventually the top William's games will fade with respect to what's coming soon...<snip>all this new fresh blood they will make old games look like shit...

as soon as there's a shred of evidence of that, get back to us. Stern hasn't done anything that B/W wasn't already doing 25 years ago. Innovation isn't part of the Stern vocabulary.

#31 81 days ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

as soon as there's a shred of evidence of that, get back to us. Stern hasn't done anything that B/W wasn't already doing 25 years ago. Innovation isn't part of the Stern vocabulary.

Yeah, Stern isn't really a big risk taker when it comes to new features, mechs, designs, etc. Most of the innovation you see comes from other smaller manufacturers. Stern would probably still be doing orange/red DMDs if it wasn't for JJP's innovation with LCDs followed by customer demand of "why aren't you doing this?"

#32 80 days ago

I think there are just more players in the game now. Back when I first got into the hobby 10 years ago pins would sit for weeks on craigslist and there were a few on there. Now I barely see anything pop up on craigslist/facebook and when they do they are sold within days. I would attribute this to the rise of barcades and just the high level of interest in "nostalgia" in general. People in their late 20's and early 30's now have expendable income and are trying to buy back things from their childhood. My other hobby retro video games has become nuts lately. My local flee market is now full of people scouring for retro video games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 329.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 23.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside