(Topic ID: 212210)

2018 Southern-Fried Gaming Expo (June 8-10, Atlanta GA)

By Radiowing

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 105 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Magic_Mike
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mario (resized).JPG
    IMG_5526 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5525 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5517 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5518 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5524 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5523 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5520 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5515 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5511 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5505 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5514 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5509 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5508 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5506 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5507 (resized).JPG

There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from ATLpb:

The parking situation is indeed very poor and aggravating.

Everything about Atlanta is poor and aggravating. It shouldn’t take an hour for me to get 8 miles to the event from my house but,....Atlanta.

#52 5 years ago

There’s a parking garage. Not ideal to have to use it, but at least it’s an option.

#53 5 years ago

That sit down space invaders was alot of fun dead pool seemed to enjoy it

2714F602-CF20-4EF4-9ABC-45D26E3AA9D8 (resized).jpeg2714F602-CF20-4EF4-9ABC-45D26E3AA9D8 (resized).jpeg435DA620-8DAC-4E88-A150-380CDFB5A27B (resized).jpeg435DA620-8DAC-4E88-A150-380CDFB5A27B (resized).jpeg
    #54 5 years ago

The wreslen match for the title was a Hoot

94BEA9B0-92A5-40D7-81CF-B630DB505E20 (resized).jpeg94BEA9B0-92A5-40D7-81CF-B630DB505E20 (resized).jpeg
    #55 5 years ago

Awaiting @whysnow's tips and suggestions on how this show & tournament, as well as the the Northwest and Rocky Mountain shows could be improved.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Awaiting whysnow's tips and suggestions on how this show & tournament, as well as the the Northwest and Rocky Mountain shows could be improved

I would like to see more parts vendors if possible.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from codered9394:

I would like to see more parts vendors if possible.

When there are three large shows the same weekend, the parts vendors have to choose only one or two shows....

#58 5 years ago

Anyone know the owner of the Whirlwind at the show? Game #216 and John was his first name.
    Wondering if he has any interest in selling

IMG_1660 (resized).JPGIMG_1660 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1662 (resized).JPGIMG_1662 (resized).JPG

#59 5 years ago

I don't know if it would be worth it for a parts vendor to lug a bunch of stuff to sfge. There are so many gaming elements to the show that aren't parts related.

#60 5 years ago

Got one for the road trip home

7BC0A233-F90E-4ECE-94F2-BEAB34F072EE (resized).jpeg7BC0A233-F90E-4ECE-94F2-BEAB34F072EE (resized).jpeg
    #61 5 years ago
    Quoted from plowpusher:

Got one for the road trip home

Congrats. I've driven by Yutan on Route 92 many times as I used to go to David City for work. I missed seeing the "Home office of the David Letterman Show" signs at Wahoo for the last ten years or so......

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Anyone know the owner of the Whirlwind at the show? Game #216 and John was his first name.

swampfire and he ain’t selling. Best ww I’ve ever seen and it’s not even close. I’m not big on non-modern Stern, yet I always enjoy playing that ww that he fully restored!

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Believe the last name was Schlab? That was a nice WW for sure. We enjoyed playing it.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from ATLpb:

swampfire and he ain’t selling. Best ww I’ve ever seen and it’s not even close. I’m not big on non-modern Stern, yet I always enjoy playing that ww that he fully restored!

Thank you sir! That game was stunning!!

#65 5 years ago

The Orin Day presentation was really good. He was generous with his time and did a great job answering questions.

Wrestling was better a couple years ago when they had it in the bigger room, but still fun regardless.

I'd like to have seen some hard top playfield examples.

Atlanta traffic sucks, but that hotel is freaking awesome for a convention. I think they do a pretty great job with it.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from ATLpb:

The parking situation is indeed very poor and aggravating.

The problem is that the hotel let the vendors park their trucks and trailers at the hotel instead of giving them their own parking lot to load and unload.

Some trucks occupied 6 to 8 parking spots!

Second, the hotel did not provide shuttle service if you were forced to park elsewhere.

I've never seen it this bad.

That was my only real complaint overall, because the show was KICK ASS and made up for the poor parking.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

The problem is that the hotel let the vendors park their trucks and trailers at the hotel instead of giving them their own parking lot to load and unload.
    Some trucks occupied 6 to 8 parking spots!
    Second, the hotel did not provide shuttle service if you were forced to park elsewhere.
    I've never seen it this bad.
    That was my only real complaint overall, because the show was KICK ASS and made up for the poor parking.

The galleria next door had lots of parking. $5.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

More
    The galleria next door had lots of parking. $5.

What part of the Galleria? That's a good 10 minute trek back to the convention center.

Not to mention, the security at the Galleria is a joke.

That might have been ideal for people who just came for a few hours of fun.

However, not so practical for people staying at the hotel who can't access their car.

#69 5 years ago

Those who had trouble parking this weekend can give me their keys next year and I will park their car for them.

#70 5 years ago

On a more positive note, mad crazy props to Marco and his insane pyramid section of all of the new stuff....and loads of it!!!

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

However, not so practical for people staying at the hotel who can't access their car.

If you are staying at the hotel, why not use the valet service? It's pretty convenient.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Went to the Chinese place our first evening there and 1 of the custodians was dropping f bombs and acting kinda nuts. Apparently, he wasn't very happy with his coworker. That was a bit alarming, but judging from the foot traffic in that place, he's probably not used to being around actual customers.

#73 5 years ago

Show was a blast and well run. We are just being nitpicky about parking that’s likely to be an issue just about anywhere when the nature of the event involves dozens of large vehicles and trailers. This is what we signed up for

Despite record attendance you never had to wait more than 2-3 people to play newest sterns and basically never had to wait more than 4-5 for the other limited qty new titles like ACNC, Houdini, etc.

Good times.

PS
    If the owner of the TFLE decepticons is reading this, pls PM me.

#74 5 years ago

My rule of thumb is that I try to keep a game for at least as long as it took to restore it, so WW will probably be in my collection for at least another 4 years. I still need to redo or replace the coin door, and figure out why the spinning discs aren't spinning freely. I'm glad everyone enjoyed playing it. I cleared the audits so I'll check the # of plays when I get back to ATL.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

What part of the Galleria? That's a good 10 minute trek back to the convention center.
    That might have been ideal for people who just came for a few hours of fun.

The galleria is literally attached to the hotel.

Garage circled in red

CFBECC2D-8427-436B-B952-2CCF35E76788 (resized).jpegCFBECC2D-8427-436B-B952-2CCF35E76788 (resized).jpeg
    #76 5 years ago

Heard if you were staying at the hotel and there were no spots you could valet and they would take it off your bill if you told the front desk. Just for future reference.

The Braves being across the way made parking a little more restricted than in the past. Like the $5 lot used to be free. And yes there wasn’t a Braves game this past weekend. Thank goodness.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Heard if you were staying at the hotel and there were no spots you could valet and they would take it off your bill...

The hotel was definitely hush-hush about that.

People complained to both the front desk AND the valet.

Good for people staying at the hotel next year to know, unless they make some changes.

#78 5 years ago

One of my kids favorite game. They always went back in that room for that game.

8D2AA1A1-0604-4CBB-9D71-2067E4BFE1BA (resized).jpeg8D2AA1A1-0604-4CBB-9D71-2067E4BFE1BA (resized).jpeg

On the parking issue, there was also a karate tournament and a train show in the galleria on Saturday.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from thepinballworks:

karate tournament and a train show in the galleria on Saturday.

Yes this. Every time I saw one of the “Karate Kids” I was reminded of Kramer on Seinfeld in his dojo with the 9 year olds. His “Kattra” (sp?)...

Imo the best maiden, as it strongly resembles the pf and toys, the premium, now home in my workshop/gameroom!

51F9DC96-BC95-4B17-8EDF-574ED3B667D9.jpeg51F9DC96-BC95-4B17-8EDF-574ED3B667D9.jpegD961E2D5-D627-4176-9DD2-D8BF8DA6B1F8.jpegD961E2D5-D627-4176-9DD2-D8BF8DA6B1F8.jpeg
    #80 5 years ago

Grats on the maiden!! At first, my wife and I couldn't decide if the karate people were cosplay or there for a tournament.

#81 5 years ago

Had a blast. My GB Pro was played about 650 times at the show. Figured it would have been way more, but it never had an issue. Unfortunately, a Batman and an AC/DC Luci both had their playfields up a couple times in the Marco area.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

At first, my wife and I couldn't decide if the karate people were cosplay or there for a tournament.

Ha Ha & I was wondering if they were going to be part of the wrestling show

#83 5 years ago

Pitchers! Wanna see more pitchers!

#84 5 years ago

Pic (not a good one...) of Marco's booth with my Maiden Pro at far left, and a close up. I haven't been to any of the bigger shows out of state to compare it to, but I've enjoyed SFGE the last few years. Love it! I'm sure a ton of work goes into setting a show like this up.

Threw a shaker kit in IMDN as soon as I got home, loving it so far.

20180609_145712 (resized).jpg20180609_145712 (resized).jpg20180610_135740 (resized).jpg20180610_135740 (resized).jpg
    #85 5 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

here are some of the best pitchers from atlanta

pitchers04 (resized).jpgpitchers04 (resized).jpg
    #86 5 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

here are some of the best pitchers from atlanta

Naw, man, thems is ball chuckers.

#87 5 years ago

I want to thank the SFGE organizers. My first trip (am local). Family had a blast (my 7-year old tuned me up at Safecracker, so she wants me to buy one).

Ignoring my earlier comment about hotel, the convention itself was great! Lots of games, lots of cool stuff (vintage consoles were amazing).

We will be back next year.

Thanks!

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Quoted from cody_chunn:

Naw, man, thems is ball chuckers.

alright, more pitchers from altanta.

pitchers09 (resized).jpgpitchers09 (resized).jpg
    #89 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

Pic (not a good one...) of Marco's booth with my Maiden Pro at far left, and a close up. I haven't been to any of the bigger shows out of state to compare it to, but I've enjoyed SFGE the last few years. Love it! I'm sure a ton of work goes into setting a show like this up.
    Threw a shaker kit in IMDN as soon as I got home, loving it so far.

Nice. I'm sure I played that one at some point. Love Iron Maiden, but had to have a ghostbusters. I put a shaker in mine, but have it disabled until I get my reinforced leg plates in, just in case.

#90 5 years ago

great show as always. My kid who is almost 4 loved it and played all day Saturday and Sunday. We parked at the galleria for 5$ no problem walking through the mall to the show and back to our car. Would free have been better? Sure. But not unexpected when a large convention happens.

#92 5 years ago

SR sneaks a toke...

SR sneaks a toke (resized).pngSR sneaks a toke (resized).png

and thanks to Steve for coming and playing a game of Fireball 2 with us. I don't remember what I said to make him chew me up, but apparently he's forgiven me for it, and I'm very happy that I don't have to avoid him at shows any more.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

I don't remember what I said to make him chew me up, but apparently he's forgiven me for it, and I'm very happy that I don't have to avoid him at shows any more.

I made sure not to tell him that I didn't like Star Wars.

#94 5 years ago

Steve did a Jello shot with my friends, and I had already finished and wandered off, so no pics... GRRRRR!!!

Here are some random shots of the tournament and the free play games.

IMG_5505 (resized).JPGIMG_5505 (resized).JPG IMG_5514 (resized).JPGIMG_5514 (resized).JPG

IMG_5506 (resized).JPGIMG_5506 (resized).JPGIMG_5507 (resized).JPGIMG_5507 (resized).JPGIMG_5508 (resized).JPGIMG_5508 (resized).JPGIMG_5509 (resized).JPGIMG_5509 (resized).JPGIMG_5511 (resized).JPGIMG_5511 (resized).JPGIMG_5515 (resized).JPGIMG_5515 (resized).JPGIMG_5517 (resized).JPGIMG_5517 (resized).JPGIMG_5518 (resized).JPGIMG_5518 (resized).JPGIMG_5520 (resized).JPGIMG_5520 (resized).JPGIMG_5523 (resized).JPGIMG_5523 (resized).JPGIMG_5524 (resized).JPGIMG_5524 (resized).JPGIMG_5525 (resized).JPGIMG_5525 (resized).JPGIMG_5526 (resized).JPGIMG_5526 (resized).JPG

#95 5 years ago

That Ice Cold Beer was fun, I must have played that a dozen times.

#96 5 years ago

The organizers and volunteers of SFGE continue to amaze at how they put together such a great show and still feels like a big extended family amongst the game bringers... Looking forward to 2019!

So, my daughter.. being of the age of phone-starers - really into youtube. My wife, not really wanting my daughter to have a youtube presence right now. We found a middle ground and had some fun along the way..

T-Rex Gamer @ SFGE:

I limited editing time to 1 hour and only those things that can be done in iMovie on the iPad versus Final Cut on my work machine, so umm... not a James Cameron production, lol.

After we packed up the games trailer heading up from the Gulf Coast area and were packing the SUV, I threw in the T-Rex costume as a last minute thought. My little girl had a blast and we made some fun memories. Hopefully we didn't annoy too many people.

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from visi0n:

Hopefully we didn't annoy too many people.

I thought the t-rex was fantastic and hope you guys do something next year too.

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I thought the t-rex was fantastic and hope you guys do something next year too.

I think there were at least two more dino's around, I noticed while sitting at the bar. We definitely will figure something out. I've always appreciated the hand-built SFGE Pac-man, maybe we need ghosts!

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from visi0n:

I think there were at least two more dino's around, I noticed while sitting at the bar. We definitely will figure something out. I've always appreciated the hand-built SFGE Pac-man, maybe we need ghosts!

Hah, funny about the multiple dinos. I guess I only saw one at a time!

#100 5 years ago

Here are my audits from the show. Looks like LOTR had a ball trap.

WW - 735 plays, 1.76” per play, 2112 balls, 21.6 hours of play

Congo - 535 plays, 2.97” per play, 1637 balls, 7 tilts, 23 hours of play

GOTLE - 518 plays, 2.92” per play, 1525 balls, 2 tilts, 22 ball searches

POTC - 516 plays, 2.88” per play, 1524 balls, 56 ball searches, 5 tilts

LOTR - 360 plays, 4.0” per play, 1053 balls played, 550 ball searches, 6 tilts

There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2018-southern-fried-gaming-expo-june-8-10-atlanta-ga/page/2?hl=pinkopf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.