Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by erczilla
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Roger Sharpe-Barracora (resized).jpg
    rockymountain (resized).jpg
    71CD6313-1679-4C67-9A5B-8A843FD5208F (resized).jpeg
    9F157337-676B-4A0F-B460-32FA974EB8E9 (resized).jpeg
    2CFD6FB1-2E7B-4A7B-A513-C2CFE98B5EAF (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20180610-183155 (resized).png
    905680B0-CA14-47F1-833D-8C063A8602DD (resized).jpeg
    8FEFA94B-17A5-4532-B5DB-F24A16B30FD8 (resized).jpeg
    20180609_145454 (resized).jpg
    20180609_145526 (resized).jpg
    874D92A3-F7B1-41ED-AFAD-837C807FC5C5 (resized).jpeg
    2018 Rocky mt. Pinball Showdown (resized).jpg
    7895421 (resized).jpg
    35 71199 (resized).jpg
    57i f rtf gg (resized).jpg
    IMG_67101 (resized).jpg

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrbillishere:

Yeah I have to say, I feel like this was the first year where the main game and vending area got seriously hot late in the day and Saturday night. I recall the small rooms to the side of that room being warm in years past, but this was the first time I noticed that about the main room.
    Guess it means more folks are coming out and that's a good problem to have.

I was only there Friday and didn’t notice that it was overly hot in any of the rooms (though definitely not that super-cool A/C feel you get right by the door). But it was sunnier Saturday and presumably the crowd was bigger.

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

The show was a great time, as always. I liked what Lem is starting up with the History of Pinball walkaround. That could turn into something really neat going forward, and I'm really glad I dropped in for that.

Thanks Jeff, I hope I did justice for pinball. I had fun just doing some of the research. I'm going to try to take it to another level next year. Looking forward to seeing Mount Plungmore!

Thank you to all the folks that brought games and made the show possible.

Brandon and Snow, such a good job running the tournaments. Not an easy thing to do.

Dan and Holly, a million thanks to you guys for the tremendous efforts, time commitment, living with the show for probably 6-8 months out of the year. I know the challenges of putting on a event as you do, it definitely doesn't "just happen" The greater pinball community appreciates all you do for us.
    THANK YOU BOTH!

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrbillishere:

I recall the small rooms to the side of that room being warm in years past, but this was the first time I noticed that about the main room.

Yes. Way too hot. Clearly the hotel AC is inadequate for this event. A lot of people (I heard say) just had to get out of there for a little while, including me. And no, I'm not fat, quite the opposite. It just got too hot in there for long-time play, and the limitations of deodorant was being felt.

Maybe some high-velocity fans to help move air around? Those are loud though. I don't think you can fix the lack of cool air.

Having said that, I think the event was successful and my wife and I had a good time. Thanks to the numerous businesses that brought most of the games, you guys rock.

#104 5 years ago

"Fat" people get hotter quicker?

https://www.popsci.com/article/science/fyi-do-fat-people-stay-warmer-thin-people

Quoted from Bendit:

And no, I'm not fat, quite the opposite.

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

"Fat" people get hotter quicker?

Fat is an insulator, no?

So logically, fat delays the transfer of energy, just like any insulator?

So the warming periods are delayed, as well as the cool-down periods.

My point was, if I was hot, chances are other people were hotter than me.

#106 5 years ago

you're not taking everything into account. being fat is an increase in surface area. so there's more to get hot.

#107 5 years ago

What games won the awards? I didn't hang around long enough to see. I thought that Black Knight with the interesting ball diverter was cool. And what was the game next to it with the ramps added? That was cool, too.

#108 5 years ago

That place sucks, it's too hot. Why don't they choose a better place with better AC or have the event earlier in April like it used to be.

#109 5 years ago

It was warm in the room, but I've been to every RMPS in that hotel and this year was an outlier. Just like being 100 f***ing degrees in Denver in early June is probabaly an outlier, no? Or maybe they just wanted to sell more beer...

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

American Pinball had a great showing in Denver, I feel. I heard nothing but good things about Houdini and I'm quite confident that a few sales will be inbound based on what people were telling me. Nirmal was a super cool dude, and he represented the company and product well. It was fun chatting with him about the game as I posted my personal best to date (around 1.2 million, I believe) on the game. I would be happy to own the game one these days.
    --
    The show was a great time, as always. I liked what Lem is starting up with the History of Pinball walkaround. That could turn into something really neat going forward, and I'm really glad I dropped in for that. Thanks to those who came to my live show, that was a lot of fun picking the final person for "Mount Plungemore" and even more fun talking to Roger Sharpe about it later.
    As always, Denver has a good lineup of games to play, and they rarely break down. Being a community where the people play a ton of pinball and really know the maintenance side of things, it's always nice being able to walk up to a random game anywhere on the floor and almost always find it working at or near 100%.
    Highlights of the show for me...
    - its_me_aj and vintageclub and their games. AJ's games and Ryan's games were little havens of top notch restoration and care.
    - Goofing off with the Mezels, as always
    - gexchange and his hospitality and humor
    - Coming out with several SLC locals that had never been to the show and see them immediately get embraced by the Denver people. They always deliver.
    - Basil's Led Zeppelin!
    - Not dying driving back to SLC last night with leeb18509 and his family
    Here's to already looking forward to next year...

Humor? Was someone impersonating me again? Damn Them! Thanks for coming up! it was good to see you and the SLAP crew!

#111 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

That place sucks, it's too hot. Why don't they choose a better place with better AC or have the event earlier in April like it used to be.

Quoted from Leeb18509:

It was warm in the room, but I've been to every RMPS in that hotel and this year was an outlier. Just like being 100 f***ing degrees in Denver in early June is probabaly an outlier, no? Or maybe they just wanted to sell more beer...

The hotel would not admit it, but they most defiantly had an AC problem. I almost asked to hop up on the roof as I apprenticed as a HVAC tech for a bit. It was 96 out both days so that didn't help but Should have been able to get the room down into the mid to low 70's. Its never been that hot in that room like it was this weekend. I felt bad for Dan and Holly because there was nothing in there power they could do but they sure heard about it from plenty of people.

We had trouble even keeping the Temp in the hotel room cool enough with 50 people in there at one point! damn all you walking heaters. Then one night we forgot to turn the heat back up and woke up to it being plenty cold in the room!

Thank you to all who came up to the room and to the show! special thanks to all who brought games. I truly enjoyed every second of this year's show and as long as the hotel lets us we will have a suite again next year!

JJ

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Humor? Was someone impersonating me again? Damn Them! Thanks for coming up! it was good to see you and the SLAP crew!

Some guests during my housewarming party thought you were funny as well. Huh. That’s just weird.

#113 5 years ago

I enjoyed the showdown again this year. Thanks to all who contributed.

#114 5 years ago

Always a fun show. Was able to help a number of people with some issues on their games and my games held up pretty well. I'm just hoping the local collectors would bring more machines in future years as there were lots of game owners there all three days that didn't participate. Not sure what that's all about.

#115 5 years ago

Of course it was going to be hot. The Denver Post said 300,000 attendees were expected.

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from vintageclub:

Always a fun show. Was able to help a number of people with some issues on their games and my games held up pretty well. I'm just hoping the local collectors would bring more machines in future years as there were lots of game owners there all three days that didn't participate. Not sure what that's all about.

Yes you did, and thank you!

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I thought that Black Knight with the interesting ball diverter was cool.

This has been at previous showdowns and has won awards I believe?

Quoted from Russell:

And what was the game next to it with the ramps added?

Firepower.

Quoted from Russell:

What games won the awards?

I remember a few:

Best in show was the custom Led Zeppelin.

Best Lit was MMR remake with Pinstadium lights, followed by the beautiful Space Station from @its_me_aj, followed by Barracora.

The Taito Drums was called out in at least two categories. There were a lot of NIB games that placed: Pac-man Battle Royale, JJP POTC, and at least one or two others.

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

This has been at previous showdowns and has won awards I believe?

Yes, it has won best in show. 3 out of the 4 games vintageclub brought are previous Best in Show winners (Barracora, Black Knight, Magic). He also had the modified Firepower. Between Ryan and AJ, they're doing awesome restore and customized work. Beautiful machines.

#119 5 years ago

That Firepower and Magic, wow. Beauties.

#120 5 years ago

Got to witness the man playing the game he was responsible for, along with Barry Oursler and Steve Epstein. Got a signature on the original flyer from both him and Barry. He was a treat to talk to about the game and both his seminars were fantastic.

Roger Sharpe-Barracora (resized).jpgRoger Sharpe-Barracora (resized).jpg
    #121 5 years ago

Space Shuttle and Space Station were in really great condition. I love those old Williams Machines. It was super hot all weekend, not sure if it was HVAC issues, the large crowds or just a super hot June weekend (probably all three). I have been there for the past 4 years and it was never that toasty.

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2018-rocky-mountain-pinball-showdown-june-8-10-2018/page/3?hl=bendit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.