(Topic ID: 199559)

2018 Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show, June 8-10!

By nwpinball

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180608_065900 (resized).jpg
    2018 NWPAS Game Stats (resized).png
    http-inlinethumb06.webshots.com-43525-2778538940105101600S600x600Q85 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1385 (resized).JPG
    20180608_100358 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100351 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100739 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100059 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100748 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100732 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100714 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100328 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100053 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100038 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100032 (resized).jpg
    impremium (resized).JPG
    There are 298 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
    #201 5 years ago

People who play 4 player games by themselves are the worst.

Had a great time and pins are back at home already. Thanks to all the show volunteers for everything they do!

#202 5 years ago
    Quoted from thelazybman:

If you were loading a game up after the show, outside the back gate. I might have your missing item. PM me --only 1 guess per

Did you acquire some legs?

#203 5 years ago

I think I left my Iron Maiden on the curb...

#204 5 years ago

the whole game? I'm pretty sure i would have noticed that before i got home

#205 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

This thing going to die down tonight? Would be nice to be able to play something.
    Show desperately needs a pay to play area.<

If you see this kindly point out the card on the back box that says they are specifically limited to one game if a person is waiting behind them. This behavior should be stopped before those doing it consider what they're doing as normal and accepted. It's just common courtesy to let someone waiting to play actually play.
    I provide my machines so that everyone can play them and enjoy them.
    Thanks for pointing it out. I might start "policing" my machines. I know I've seen a lot of the "usual" people trying to clean me out of my Safe Cracker tokens.

I think we need to have some larger signs near registration and the entrance about game etiquette. My feeling is the general public just doesn't understand or get it and the print is too small and hard to spot on the small game info signs. This is mostly about figuring out how to communicate it to attendees more effectively.

#206 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jackalwere:

Lowlights: Pabst Can Crusher = boring.

Jeez - at least my game made your show list I guess.

At least one very happy person didn't agree with you though as I sold it. In defense of PCC, I think it actually is a fun game if you enjoy the simple challenges of EM's and classic 2" flippers. If not, then this definitely isn't the game for you. Besides cool artwork, it also has great callouts which I discovered Sunday AM (I wasn't at the show Saturday) were very hard to hear so I subsequently increased the volume to twice as high as what I originally set it at the start of the show Friday.

In an ideal (i.e. spacious gameroom) world, I would have kept it as it adds nice variety to a larger collection.

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from thelazybman:

If you were loading a game up after the show, outside the back gate. I might have your missing item. PM me --only 1 guess per

I think someone forgot the legs to their new Iron Maiden, they called in about it while we were still breaking down pins. If you found these and the owner didn't speak up yet, Justin R can put you in touch with them.

#208 5 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

I think we need to have some larger signs near registration and the entrance about game etiquette. My feeling is the general public just doesn't understand or get it and the print is too small and hard to spot on the small game info signs. This is mostly about figuring out how to communicate it to attendees more effectively.

during shows, how about making the occasional public service announcement as a reminder and to increase awareness.

#209 5 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

More
    during shows, how about making the occasional public service announcement as a reminder and to increase awareness.

I think both things would help quite a bit - for sure larger signs though.

#210 5 years ago

Both could help. I personally have a hard time hearing the announcements at the show, even when Byron pre-records them in a studio. It's just such a giant airplane hangar type of place, the words get mostly lost, I can tell their are announcements going on, but can really only catch them if I'm standing in the right place.

#211 5 years ago

I can't understand a single thing in the announcements, they just add to the overall noise of the place, not in a good way.

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

I can't understand a single thing in the announcements, they just add to the overall noise of the place, not in a good way.

Oh, good, it's not just me! I've wondered for the past few years if we should do them when most people can't understand them or tune them out.

#213 5 years ago

If you missed the seminars and speakers, the live stream is archived here:
    https://www.twitch.tv/geekgamertv/videos/all

#214 5 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

Maybe it's time for the JumboTron!

#215 5 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Oh, good, it's not just me! I've wondered for the past few years if we should do them when most people can't understand them or tune them out.

I enjoy mishearing the raffle numbers and thinking I’ve won

#216 5 years ago
    Quoted from Freeplay40:

Maybe it's time for the JumboTron!

Project them on the wall. You cannot I understand them. It is just a loud roar that everyone just waits out before going to back to their conversations.

I started to wonder also if hanging some large banners would help with the sound bouncing around. I have been struggling with some hearing loss in a certain range and found that the general show noise made some voices almost disappear unless I was standing very close. Getting old!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#217 5 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

If you see this kindly point out the card on the back box that says they are specifically limited to one game if a person is waiting behind them. This behavior should be stopped before those doing it consider what they're doing as normal and accepted. It's just common courtesy to let someone waiting to play actually play.
    I provide my machines so that everyone can play them and enjoy them.
    Thanks for pointing it out. I might start "policing" my machines. I know I've seen a lot of the "usual" people trying to clean me out of my Safe Cracker tokens.

My wife also noticed a number of people not following the one game limit. She also noticed a number of people that were not attached to the show powering machines off and on. I think a sign at the front doors might be a good idea to remind people of proper game etiquetteand if they are having a problem with a game, please let the show staff know about it.

#218 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

At least one very happy person didn't agree with you though as I sold it. In defense of PCC, I think it actually is a fun game if you enjoy the simple challenges of EM's and classic 2" flippers. If not, then this definitely isn't the game for you. Besides cool artwork, it also has great callouts which I discovered Sunday AM (I wasn't at the show Saturday) were very hard to hear so I subsequently increased the volume to twice as high as what I originally set it at the start of the show Friday.
    In an ideal (i.e. spacious gameroom) world, I would have kept it as it adds nice variety to a larger collection.

Congratulations on the sale. Shocking, really, but congratulations nonetheless.

#219 5 years ago

Just for fun I kept track of plays on the machines I sent down.

Pinball Pool came in at 334 plays
    Cleopatra at 435 plays
    Tee'd Off at 555 plays
    Count-Down at 656 plays.

Not bad for a show that ran 31 hours (if I can still add right), so Count-Down got played around 21 times an hour or a little more than once every 3 minutes! Although I'm sure there were a few games during setup etc, that's still impressive especially since it wasn't the only Count-Down there (mine was the one with chimes, as if you could hear them

#220 5 years ago

this was my first time attending the show since I got into this awesome hobby 2 years ago. I had a blast but I was really disappointed that there weren't that many used games for sale.

I all went to the bank early in the Sat morning and withdrew $$$ and couldn't really find any games for sale and the one game I contacted on the sale post board at the entrance didn't even call me back so my daughter was super bummed out that she didn't bring home a new(used) pin to play at home. She really loved batman forever and was bugging me to find one to take home. She must have walked around the show 5 times looking to see if there was one for sale but to no avail.

As a father I really cherished this time that I get to spend with my daughter and enjoy this hobby together for who knows when she will grow out of it. Hopefully next year, she still has some interest in pinball to come with me to the show again.

#221 5 years ago

Fantastic show! I had a great time with my son. Thank you so much to the organizers and generous people/companies who donated their time and machines. Special thanks for the people who brought Atari Football, Basketball, Sub and any two-player simultaneous games!

Regarding game hogs, while most people were very polite, I experienced about a dozen instances of people hogging games, and one or two people playing a four player game. The people I politely asked not to play more than 1 game looked indignant, claimed they didn’t know, or “they wanted to experience the game” or some other entitled BS. Typical tragedy of the commons stuff.

Would it be possible to have the people handing out the wristbands say “1 game per player” to everyone and ask them to make sure their children and everyone in their party understood the policy? I’d also like to see prominent signage (I mean those 6 foot tall standing banners) scattered throughout, and cards on the backglass. With the right art it could be funny and really set the tone.

I would also like to see more vendors with pinball gear there. I came away with some ramps, thank you Starship Fantasy, but I wish I could have picked up some more pinball-related swag, esp. shirts for my favorite games.

On to the games:

I came expecting to hate Iron Maiden, but I really liked it. Super fun game. Stern keeps getting better with the LCD, but they have a long way to go to catch up to JJP’s quality. Their screen art used to look like bad ‘90s Flash animation, now it looks like bad ‘00s Flash animation. And WTF is the deal with not showing the score and the ball in play at all times? Lunacy.

I enjoyed playing more Houdini, that’s one I will be adding to my collection. I hope American ups their game on the animations next time, though. I found those to drag down an otherwise excellent game.

JJP Pirates was a lot of fun to play, but the lines were so long I didn’t get enough time to really dig in like I did with IMDN. The characters added a lot of depth and I feel like there is a ton to explore on that game. Looking forward to playing more of that one.

Regarding Thunderbirds I will limit my comments to the positive and say that the playfield was colorful, and I liked the way multiball started. I don’t know what they were aiming for, and I didn’t look at the innards or build quality. But as a player, if they were going for a Data East circa 1992 they got most of the way there. More than anything I was disappointed to see a Homepin rep attacking someone here for critiquing their game. Deeply unprofessional. That certainly didn’t win me over as a customer.

It was great to play an Orbitor 1 that seemed to be completely working!

There were also some fun hobby/early development machines there. I was most impressed with the potential of Proto. That’s definitely one to watch. I was frankly astonished at what was possible at the FAST Pinball lounge.

My son and I will definitely be back next year!

#222 5 years ago

Larger signs about playing one game at a time. Maybe ask owners to set machines for 3 balls instead of 5 to speed things up. I watched a lot of people just hit the start button again keep playing, I would have loved to play more machines at show

#223 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

Fantastic show! I had a great time with my son. Thank you so much to the organizers and generous people/companies who donated their time and machines. Special thanks for the people who brought Atari Football, Basketball, Sub and any two-player simultaneous games!
    Regarding game hogs, while most people were very polite, I experienced about a dozen instances of people hogging games, and one or two people playing a four player game. The people I politely asked not to play more than 1 game looked indignant, claimed they didn’t know, or “they wanted to experience the game” or some other entitled BS. Typical tragedy of the commons stuff.
    Would it be possible to have the people handing out the wristbands say “1 game per player” to everyone and ask them to make sure their children and everyone in their party understood the policy? I’d also like to see prominent signage (I mean those 6 foot tall standing banners) scattered throughout, and cards on the backglass. With the right art it could be funny and really set the tone.
    I would also like to see more vendors with pinball gear there. I came away with some ramps, thank you Starship Fantasy, but I wish I could have picked up some more pinball-related swag, esp. shirts for my favorite games.
    On to the games:
    I came expecting to hate Iron Maiden, but I really liked it. Super fun game. Stern keeps getting better with the LCD, but they have a long way to go to catch up to JJP’s quality. Their screen art used to look like bad ‘90s Flash animation, now it looks like bad ‘00s Flash animation. And WTF is the deal with not showing the score and the ball in play at all times? Lunacy.
    I enjoyed playing more Houdini, that’s one I will be adding to my collection. I hope American ups their game on the animations next time, though. I found those to drag down an otherwise excellent game.
    JJP Pirates was a lot of fun to play, but the lines were so long I didn’t get enough time to really dig in like I did with IMDN. The characters added a lot of depth and I feel like there is a ton to explore on that game. Looking forward to playing more of that one.
    Regarding Thunderbirds I will limit my comments to the positive and say that the playfield was colorful, and I liked the way multiball started. I don’t know what they were aiming for, and I didn’t look at the innards or build quality. But as a player, if they were going for a Data East circa 1992 they got most of the way there. More than anything I was disappointed to see a Homepin rep attacking someone here for critiquing their game. Deeply unprofessional. That certainly didn’t win me over as a customer.
    It was great to play an Orbitor 1 that seemed to be completely working!
    There were also some fun hobby/early development machines there. I was most impressed with the potential of Proto. That’s definitely one to watch. I was frankly astonished at what was possible at the FAST Pinball lounge.
    My son and I will definitely be back next year!

Thanks for your comments. I am always happy to receive constructive criticism - that allows us to improve.

To set the record straight, the person commenting on here that you say I "attacked" was NOT at this show and is a well known troll who follows me everywhere and does anything in his power to cause me trouble. He was making a completely unrelated comment about a minor issue that happened when the machine was shown at the New Zealand Pincade recently (he wasn't there either).

This issue was of no concern to anyone at this show and nobody would even know that there was a single instance of a very rough player causing damage in Ne Zealand that this person has chosen to latch onto and spread far and wide.

'Fake news' like this I can do without and it doesn't help anyone. It certainly doesn't help us create a better product when it is just endless digs with no substance and no interest in helping us with improvement.

Thunderbirds reflects the era in which the show was originally aired so that's possibly why it seemed the way it did to you? We are not out to compete with other offerings in the marketplace but are trying to be a little different.

But you are correct, I really should just not comment on public forums because you can never win no matter what you say.

#224 5 years ago
    Quoted from oropuro:

ive been wanting an el toro (the bull) strength tester, that one have a for sale sign on it? please please please

It was presold before the show. Is there something I'm missing here? It was a close firend's of mine who picked it up at an auction for cheap. The person who bought it at the show was going crazy for it and we had people drooling over it the whole time. Is there a reason it's so popular? Or is it just what it is, a bull strength tester. I never thought much of it over the past couple of years he had it...

#225 5 years ago

genex
    people playing pinball shots are the best, thank you.
    WE ALL LOOK LIKE FREAKS

#226 5 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

To set the record straight

I take you completely at your word on this.

Quoted from Homepin:

Thunderbirds reflects the era in which the show was originally aired so that's possibly why it seemed the way it did to you? We are not out to compete with other offerings in the marketplace but are trying to be a little different.

My sincere congratulations on trying to be different. We need more of that in pinball. It is an impressive feat to get a commercial pinball machine built from scratch -- as we have seen in recent years. I hope you sell a bunch of them. I don't know the show and was a toddler when it aired, so I don't think I'm in your target market.

Quoted from Homepin:

But you are correct, I really should just not comment on public forums because you can never win no matter what you say.

As a creator myself, I know first hand how damn painful it is to have my work criticized, trolled and misrepresented.

But I think you must take action on public forums when you perceive that a misrepresentation is being made, and you must do it loudly, persistently, and firmly. Unfortunately, ample negative examples abound. I would call out American Pinball as having the most level-headed and engaged responses from all of the pinball manufacturers on Pinside.

Best wishes on this and future projects, and thank you for taking the time to reply. I also forgot to mention that I thought the plastic trees on Thunderbirds were super fun.

#227 5 years ago

This was my first year and overall I had a pretty good time.

Wife and I played a game of POTC and we really enjoyed it. Think it may be on our future buy list. We also had a blast playing Tails from the Crypt for the first time. I looked up to see a price on the translight but no tag

Next year I plan on bringing at least 3 pins of my own. Its a very busy show and I think it needs all the pins we can pack in. I hope more pinsiders who may be on the fence to bring a machine will do the same.

On another note, you may want to add something on your big sign warning about abusing the machines. I saw some dude banging the crap out of somebodies White Water while I was playing NGG. I just kept imagining it was me who brought it to the show and how unhappy that would have made me.

Also just like to say thanks to all the people that made this happen. Good job!

#228 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

On another note, you may want to add something on your big sign warning about abusing the machines. I saw some dude banging the crap out of somebodies White Water while I was playing NGG. I just kept imagining it was me who brought it to the show and how unhappy that would have made me.

Yikes. That was my Whitewater they were "banging the crap out of". What exactly is "banging the crap out of"? Was it aggressive shaking or lifting the cabinet and dropping or banging on the coin door?

Quoted from WolfManCat:

Also just like to say thanks to all the people that made this happen. Good job!

Agreed 100%. The crew deserves major props!!!

#229 5 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

More
    Thanks for your comments. I am always happy to receive constructive criticism - that allows us to improve.
    To set the record straight, the person commenting on here that you say I "attacked" was NOT at this show and is a well known troll who follows me everywhere and does anything in his power to cause me trouble. He was making a completely unrelated comment about a minor issue that happened when the machine was shown at the New Zealand Pincade recently (he wasn't there either).
    This issue was of no concern to anyone at this show and nobody would even know that there was a single instance of a very rough player causing damage in Ne Zealand that this person has chosen to latch onto and spread far and wide.
    'Fake news' like this I can do without and it doesn't help anyone. It certainly doesn't help us create a better product when it is just endless digs with no substance and no interest in helping us with improvement.

I was actually genuine and curious how it was performing but you pull the poor me card, I was not aware that this thread is only for the people that went to the show. I thought it was a forum for pinball discussion, but sorry to say unless you get everyone patting you on the back you crack the shits.

In the end if someone chimed in and said it performed well, then all good that is a tick for your different approach.

As for being a troll, no I am not ..... but you like to stir a community against me and others when it suits you instead of owning your shit. What about the Aussies that were early investors on your official thread or on AA that recently asked for a refund but you refused referring to your contract but in actual fact you missed the deadline by 2 years so technically you should pay them back, but you ignore those comments......

Over the years on other forums and here you have been be nasty, rude and a downright jerk to many people, including to the newbies, long standing members, companies and you are consistent at doing it - maybe just karma coming back to say hi

Just own your stuff, pay people back and build games and get a PR guy

I do give you credit for the company growth and taking on so much and achieving so much, but your people skills suck

Lastly to all the Pinsiders and the visitors of this show, my apologies - "I am sorry that this thread went the wrong direction"

#230 5 years ago

What the heck?? I just want to read about the NW Pinball Show. Why are 2 guys from down under hijacking this thread?

http-inlinethumb06.webshots.com-43525-2778538940105101600S600x600Q85 (resized).jpghttp-inlinethumb06.webshots.com-43525-2778538940105101600S600x600Q85 (resized).jpg

#231 5 years ago

Thats not a knife ! ha ha

#232 5 years ago

Go all blacks!

#233 5 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

pay people back and build games

The first one isn't going to happen because if you refund one it will snowball so it's a stalemate with none of the few remaining prepayers with money still down willing to take it further for recovery.

The problem with that perpetual sit and wait scenario is the second one isn't going to happen until one of the overseas distributors puts in a decent sized order to financially justify shifting factory operations to dedicated production rather than trickling out prototypes.

Aussie/NZ demand is nominal so North America needs to bite down hard or its going to stay in revision limbo.

#234 5 years ago

I think part of our mission of increasing awareness of the hobby, collecting and repairing games and it's resulting growing popularity means increasing people's awareness of game etiquette, and we can all do our part there. Seriously, most of these people don't know better, for a lot of them it's their first time at a show. We want them to have a fun experience, come back, and maybe start collecting games, we just need to guide their interest with a few best practices. I definitely think we as the show can work on better ways to communicate starting one game at a time and looking around to see if anyone is waiting. Once that clicks with someone, they realize it's in their best benefit too when they are waiting to play games.

I highly recommend for the collector crowd, picking and choosing the less busy times of the show, especially if you are staying down in Tacoma. All of Friday there are barely any lines at all. And at night about the time of the 10pm raffle the crowd all gathers in the front and then leaves. There is a sweet spot between 10pm-11:30pm when you could walk up to any of the new Sterns and play a game. I personally don't even bother trying to play games on Saturday during the day, I know that's the day the general population/non-collectors are going to come and it is always the most busy. Besides, I'm usually fixing games and freeing stuck balls then

It's not any different than when you go to Add A Ball, Coindexter's, the Jupiter or any other popular local barcade on a Friday or Saturday night. They get so packed lines form at games and people don't know better and start game after game without realizing people are waiting. This is a larger education issue we as a community need to work on. Kinda like people who don't stand to the right on an escalator so people can pass or people that drive slow in the fast lane.

#235 5 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

More More
    Yikes. That was my Whitewater they were "banging the crap out of". What exactly is "banging the crap out of"? Was it aggressive shaking or lifting the cabinet and dropping or banging on the coin door?

He

More More
    Yikes. That was my Whitewater they were "banging the crap out of". What exactly is "banging the crap out of"? Was it aggressive shaking or lifting the cabinet and dropping or banging on the coin

He was aggressively bumping, shaking and raging between drained balls. Smacking both sides of the cabinet around the flipper buttons and shoving the apron. Im sure its fine but it was all just a little unnerving knowing that it was somebody elses pin.

#236 5 years ago

nwpinball is correct about Friday. It's the best day for short lines. Totally worth it to take off of work. Saturday I usually play the tournaments and head over to the older games which often have shorter lines. Or just walk around until I find something open.

Please try not to get too angry at the people starting four player games. There's a good chance they aren't into pinball and literally don't know now to start a one or two player game. At Seattle barcades it's not uncommon to see someone repeatedly putting in quarters expecting the game to start on its own.

"Never ascribe to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Robert Hanlon

Also, getting new players into pinball is one if the goals of the event. Hopefully they'll throw some quarters in next time they see a game in the wild.

Also, the lady that runs the Air BnB I stayed at said a married couple in another unit she owns actually met at the show two years ago. They now come back every year as an anniversary of sorts. That's at least slightly adorable.

#237 5 years ago

My wife and I had a fantastic time - we only went on Friday so I can't comment on the weekend lines but on Friday I think there was only 1 game that we couldn't play (there was a set of 4 guys who just rotated on it) so I feel great about the overall experience and what we were able to play. My wife discovered a couple of games that she really liked (Nascar, Judge Dredd) and I've put them on my wishlist. We never even got to many of the EM's I was hoping to try out...oh well, next year!

Some thoughts on future shows:
    1) the signs down in the lobby were tiny. I think there was one 8.5x11 sign on a stand between the escalators, we literally wandered around looking for where to go until we saw some people with a pinball shirt who said to go up the escalator. I couple of big signs would help out.
    2) some kind of lounge area where people could hang out and meet. I was really hoping to meet a few people from Pinside but wandering around looking to see if anyone had a badge or something didn't work very well. The couple of people with some kind of badge around their neck I saw were always heading to a machine having problems and although there were a few at the front with the presentation, I didn't want to interrupt them.
    3) more vendors. I know this is not something you can strictly control but I was surprised at how few vendors and products were being sold. I came looking for cables and parts and there wasn't really anything like that. Even a swap-meet kind of thing where people could bring bins of parts would be cool - of course that might change the tone of the convention somewhat, from a "play games" to "swap meet" but when I look at the Emerald City Comic Con, there were vendor areas and chat areas and play areas all kind of side by side.

#238 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

More
    He was aggressively bumping, shaking and raging between drained balls. Smacking both sides of the cabinet around the flipper buttons and shoving the apron. Im sure its fine but it was all just a little unnerving knowing that it was somebody elses pin.

Oh, so typical tournament player

#239 5 years ago

I think we plan to squeeze a few more vendors in next year. What they sell is mostly up to what they can haul or ship easily. Unfortunately we don't have a big local parts vendor, so that's always going to be limited. Starship Fantasy and Rob/Lock When Lit drive all their stuff out, but most vendors aren't willing to do that. That said, the vendors sell more product at our show than any other, I'm surprised more aren't willing to do that. But Washington State is the far corner of the country and a long trip for most people.

A swap meet is a no go at the Convention Center, they have pretty strict regulations for who can sell and registering and licensing. We've been open all along to someone organizing one in a nearby parking lot or something, but we have no one that's part of the show that wants to take it on. For any new thing added, we need a new person to spearhead it, everyone has so much on their plate already. My general response to new suggestions is "Sounds great, want to do it?" It's a volunteer run show.

There are some decent sitting areas in the lobby and cafeteria area with lots of tables and chairs. I really wish they had a bar area, the bar in the hotel everyone stays in accross the street, the Marriott, becomes the de-facto meet up spot. The Convention Center is building it's own hotel right now, so hopefully that will give us alot more options in future years.

Glad you had fun, it was a really great show this year. So many more games and it mostly ran really smoothly. Having done it so many times, it gets easier and easier. And it was great to have so many new people volunteering games, volunteering to help, and attending. I love seeing our hobby grow and succeed and seeing all the people coming down playing vids and pins like it's the 1980s or early 90s again.

#240 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

The machines are built to take that level of abuse. That Whitewater cabinet is in pretty rough shape (as well as the playfield).

I usually make my games easy for players so the general public has fun. Unfortunately (as Dan has suggested that it's a tournament player) the tournament players usually "abuse" my machines by taking advantage of the easy playing conditions. I might consider setting the tilt plumb bobs really tight. Most members of the general public don't even want to lightly push the machine. I saw one guy play my TZ last year and got LITZ *TWICE* in one game. You'd think he'd just walk away from it not being much of a challenge.

#241 5 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Unfortunately we don't have a big local parts vendor, so that's always going to be limited.

Are you forgetting about Betson Specialty Coin in Kent?

Betson Specialty Coin Kent
    7651 S 180th Street
    Kent, WA 98032

503-786-9200
    800-987-4946
    253-395-2936 (Fax)

#242 5 years ago

For those interested in statistics I have interim stats ... interim because the numbers only cover Friday and Saturday. The rush to close down on Sunday meant that I didn't go through the machines and collect the audits before power off. The final numbers probably won't be available for another few weeks. I'd consider posting an update if there's interest in stats (I know it's not everyone's interest). I am interested in the final counts. I don't think any machine of mine has broken 600 plays and only a handful break 550 plays during the course of the show.

The first column is the count of plays on Friday. The second column is Saturday. The third (empty) column is Sunday. The final is the total (Friday and Saturday only).

181 | 271 | - | 452 = Laser War
    176 | 241 | - | 417 = Black Knight 2000
    185 | 305 | - | 490 = Whirlwind
    136 | 226 | - | 362 = Terminator 2
    201 | 279 | - | 480 = The Addams Family
    179 | 283 | - | 462 = Fish Tales
    195 | 271 | - | 466 = White Water
    218 | 281 | - | 499 = Bram Stoker's Dracula
    188 | 224 | - | 412 = Twilight Zone
    165 | 183 | - | 348 = Indiana Jones
    165 | 155 | - | 320 = Star Trek: The Next Generation
    162 | 217 | - | 379 = Theatre of Magic
    141 | 184 | - | 325 = Safe Cracker
    130 | 196 | - | 326 = No Good Gofers
    186 | 237 | - | 423 = Monster Bash
    172 | 253 | - | 425 = Lord of the Rings

I've been trying to explain the difference between counts as perhaps "popularity". I think shorter games results in more games played. BSD is drain monster (especially with lightning flippers).

Star Trek (TNG) was down more than I would like. That explains the lower count. I need to spend some time figuring out what's wrong to make it more reliable. The machine was completely rebuilt two shows ago so it should be something simple.

Safe Cracker games are longer than average from what I've seen (board game can take up a lot of time). There were a lot of 3 and 4 player games on the Safe Cracker (by the same crowd of players) and I'm also wondering if the audit counts multiple player games as a single "game played" in the count.

I put in a total of 120 tokens.

50x brass "10 year"
    10x nickel-plated "10 year"
    50x brass "Safe Cracker"
    10x nickel-plated "Safe Cracker"

There was a 1 in 5 chance of getting a nickel-plated token.

The machine dispensed a total of 68 tokens.

24x brass "10 year"
    7x nickel-plated "10 year"
    32x brass "Safe Cracker"
    5x nickel-plated "Safe Cracker"

#243 5 years ago

I am interested in your final counts. It will be a little time before I am able to see the counts on mine. I still need to get them back downstairs and setup. I am estimating that my Addams should be close to the same count as yours. Silverball will be more interesting sine it is an older machine, yet rarely did I see the machine not getting played.

#244 5 years ago

Busier than last year, that’s for sure and the numbers of games played shows it, my met pro last year had less than 600 total plays, and dudes laser war had 450 not counting Sunday.

#245 5 years ago

I had the four at the end of the same row; KISS, GB, TSPP, and MMr. Should be able to pull numbers when i get then set back up this weekend. All four seemed to have constant play. My MetPro in the Marco area had 569 plays.

#246 5 years ago

I took home one of the Marco Iron Maiden pros, and it had just under 500 plays on it.

#247 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Yeah, I can see the appeal to the EM crowd, and to Pabst fans, but I find those 2" flippers a novelty and not fun. Don't like them on my Popeye machine! As you said though, that's just me. I would have like to have heard the callouts, but I couldn't hear anything in there, including the music for Iron Maiden. Thanks for bringing it to the show, though, I can cross it off of my "bucket list", and congrats on the sale.

There was a guy that had a 4 player game going on Lexi, I walked away because I didn't have time to wait. Disappointed I didn't get to play that one.

#248 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jackalwere:

There was a guy that had a 4 player game going on Lexi, I walked away because I didn't have time to wait. Disappointed I didn't get to play that one.

That was a game I liked way more than I thought I would. It felt next gen, pushing the envelope of what pinball could be, but also still felt really grounded in a traditional pinball feel. I played a game or two on it every day of the show, including with friends and everyone was into it.

#249 5 years ago

I haven't been to the previous shows but from what I am hearing it seems like this show is growing exponentially. Which is great and if we are to expect an even larger crowd next year, it would be wise to aim for more solid state pin volunteers. I know this isnt an easy task and that the arcade machines initially outnumbered the pins this year (got your messages via smac) but its worth a shot.
    You definitely have my support and can expect a few pins from me next year, possibly an arcade cabinet as well.

Thanks again for hosting such a large and fun event.

#250 5 years ago

For some reason I thought there would be more like 750 plays on popular machines, it surprises me that a new Iron Maiden had less than 500 plays when it looked like those games got steady play the entire show!

There are 298 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2018-northwest-pinball-arcade-show-june-8-10/page/5?hl=hughesdforce and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.