2018 Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show, June 8-10!

(Topic ID: 199559)

2018 Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show, June 8-10!

By nwpinball

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 298 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by cavalier88z24
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9,934 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180608_065900 (resized).jpg
    2018 NWPAS Game Stats (resized).png
    http-inlinethumb06.webshots.com-43525-2778538940105101600S600x600Q85 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1385 (resized).JPG
    20180608_100358 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100351 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100739 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100059 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100748 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100732 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100714 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100328 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100053 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100038 (resized).jpg
    20180608_100032 (resized).jpg
    impremium (resized).JPG

There are 298 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 8 months ago

IMG_20180607_225248 (resized).jpgIMG_20180607_225346 (resized).jpgIMG_20180607_225451 (resized).jpgIMG_20180607_225544 (resized).jpgIMG_20180607_225556 (resized).jpgIMG_20180607_225611 (resized).jpgIMG_20180607_225621 (resized).jpgIMG_20180607_225621 (resized).jpgIMG_20180607_225649 (resized).jpgIMG_20180607_225658_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20180607_225711 (resized).jpgIMG_20180607_225723 (resized).jpgIMG_20180607_225902 (resized).jpg
    #152 8 months ago

IMG_20180607_225628 (resized).jpg
    #153 8 months ago

Looks like we will have 450-500 games this year, we are running out of space! All games will be on freeplay the entire weekend!

#154 8 months ago

show Time! you got room for one more?

#155 8 months ago

ive been wanting an el toro (the bull) strength tester, that one have a for sale sign on it? please please please

#157 8 months ago

Ive got several translites for sale, 65 each. I will have them at the show. Acdc, ripleys, game of thrones, monopoly, metallica, and an aerosmith brand new, never used. Please text (425)3129981
    I will be inside and deaf from all the noise.

#158 8 months ago

Thunderbirds!

IMG_6555 (resized).JPGIMG_6556 (resized).JPGIMG_6557 (resized).JPG
    #159 8 months ago

Thanks to flipperfreak Tommy at Nitro Pinball! Plus, he brought several Houdini and the only Total Nuclear Annihilation not in the tournament area! Thank you, Tommy!

#160 8 months ago

How did Pinsiders like Thunderbirds ?

#161 8 months ago
    Quoted from Humph:

I drove all the way from wisconsin. part of the reason was to play this game. I thought the game shoots ok. A couple things I look at while playing have left me lost. but still enjoyable. honestly I love the music, the sounds and call outs were cool. I'm not familiar with the show. but the DMD animation are ok. but i did like the dancing palm trees and the motion drill.

20180608_114214 (resized).jpg20180608_114216 (resized).jpg20180608_114218 (resized).jpg20180608_114550 (resized).jpg
    #162 8 months ago
    Quoted from Humph:

Interesting game - has potential. Unfortunately, the flippers were underpowered on the one I played so it was difficult to get the ball up top. Tommy said that they would be making some adjustments - I look forward to giving this another try!

#163 8 months ago
    Quoted from Humph:

First impression was that it sucked. Flippers & pop bumpers anemic, but this could be rectified.
    A bit crude in the details, to be expected from a first effort. But a good srart.

#164 8 months ago

This is my first time here and really enjoying it so far! Not taking too many pix but here's a few (all will be posted in my regular pinball gallery here: http://store.orangephotography.com/p622412852)

pinball2018_0316 (resized).jpgpinball2018_0317 (resized).jpgpinball2018_0318 (resized).jpgpinball2018_0319 (resized).jpgpinball2018_0320 (resized).jpgpinball2018_0321 (resized).jpgpinball2018_0322 (resized).jpgpinball2018_0323 (resized).jpgpinball2018_0324 (resized).jpgpinball2018_0325 (resized).jpgpinball2018_0326 (resized).jpg
    #165 8 months ago

My wife and I went on Friday and had a blast. I don't think she was expecting to enjoy herself, just to be there for me but with So many games and to be able to just walk up and play them is such an experience. She ended up having a blast and told me she was so glad she went. We discovered many that we had never had a chance to play before and were able to work out ones we liked and didn't much care for

Highly recommended if you are on the fence about going

#166 8 months ago
    Quoted from Humph:

Caveat: Only played it a few times, so this is just my initial impression.

Build quality seemed pretty reasonable from what I could tell. Cabinet felt solid and the artwork looked good in the "print quality" sense. Artwork seemed to capture the Thunderbirds theme well, and didn't look like a shitty Photoshopped collage à la some of the earlier Sterns you could find elsewhere in the building. Toys looked cool.

But unfortunately it didn't connect with me really at any level. Mostly, I didn't feel like it shot very well, especially compared to games like TNA and IMDN which were just a few feet away. In particular, I disliked the shot under the ship. The DMD felt dated and was almost oddly bright. Didn't get a good listen to the sounds as it was pretty loud/echoey in the venue, so won't comment there. Thunderbirds as a theme does nothing for me, so while the art & theme integration seemed good, it didn't draw me in.

Perhaps I just needed to play it more, but it was enough of a "meh" that I moved on to playing some more IMDN

#167 8 months ago

Yeah, not a theme of mine at all, but gave it a try.

Seemed 'hollow' overall & flippers definitely underpowered.

Didn't impress me as a deep game, but didn't play it long enough to really find out.

Other pins out there drew my attention.

#168 8 months ago
    Quoted from joetechbob:

Caveat: Only played it a few times, so this is just my initial impression.
    Build quality seemed pretty reasonable from what I could tell. Cabinet felt solid and the artwork looked good in the "print quality" sense. Artwork seemed to capture the Thunderbirds theme well, and didn't look like a shitty Photoshopped collage à la some of the earlier Sterns you could find elsewhere in the building. Toys looked cool.
    But unfortunately it didn't connect with me really at any level. Mostly, I didn't feel like it shot very well, especially compared to games like TNA and IMDN which were just a few feet away. In particular, I disliked the shot under the ship. The DMD felt dated and was almost oddly bright. Didn't get a good listen to the sounds as it was pretty loud/echoey in the venue, so won't comment there. Thunderbirds as a theme does nothing for me, so while the art & theme integration seemed good, it didn't draw me in.
    Perhaps I just needed to play it more, but it was enough of a "meh" that I moved on to playing some more IMDN

you hit it on the head. that DMD is to bright.

#169 8 months ago

anybody need a pass for Sunday

edit. pass is spoken for

#170 8 months ago

This thing going to die down tonight? Would be nice to be able to play something.

Show desperately needs a pay to play area.

#171 8 months ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

This thing going to die down tonight? Would be nice to be able to play something.
    Show desperately needs a pay to play area.

Agreed 100%, most people are not following the 1 game rule especially when people are behind them leading to a ton of waiting around and not a ton of play time.

#172 8 months ago

Couldn’t make it this year so appreciate any detailed pics from attendees especially the rarer titles

#173 8 months ago

Thunderbirds is not my cup of tea, just a prototype but still.

Tna is amazing, I’m addicted to it.

Maiden is pretty cool but you can’t hear it.

#174 8 months ago

Forgot pirates. Played one Game and I dislike it as much as woz and hobbit. Looks pretty but meh. No desire to play again.

#175 8 months ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

i hope so. it's been non stop since noon

#176 8 months ago
    Quoted from genex:

This is my first time here and really enjoying it so far! Not taking too many pix but here's a few (all will be posted in my regular pinball gallery here: http://store.orangephotography.com/p622412852)

Nice pics! I noticed a few well known pinball folks there for the first time that I've seen (I've been every year) - it was very cool to meet and talk with both Bowen Kerins and Keith Elwin Friday. Also met Portlander Jessica Denardo from the Pinball Podcast - very nice!

Quoted from cavalier88z24:

you hit it on the head. that DMD is to bright.

It was REALLY bright, but I'm sure that this can be adjusted. Strange to see a non-color DMD on a brand new game. Didn't seem to be much variation on the animations either, but perhaps this will get better. Not sure what the code status is.

#177 8 months ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Thunderbirds is terrible, just a prototype but still.
    Tna is amazing, I’m addicted to it.
    Maiden is pretty cool but you can’t hear it.

Good news, Tommy has a TNA coming for me!!!

#178 8 months ago

4C3C7E1A-87CC-449B-B444-58A32352DA67 (resized).jpeg6E73F672-DC74-4262-AB11-1C52054992FB (resized).jpeg8E18DA31-7AD2-4B6B-AD98-9EE98A54F4B1 (resized).jpeg997728B2-211A-40C1-AC29-B102C18010E0 (resized).jpeg
    #179 8 months ago

Just got home from the show and once again had a blast (for my son and I it's our 6th year in a row of heading down to Tacoma). A big thanks to all of the people who make the show happen, definitely appreciate all the hard work (every year I see a lot of the same people in those orange Medic shirts and they're always keeping busy!).

It's amazing the difference between Friday and Saturday at the show. Friday is such a peaceful day and you can pretty much stroll up to anything and play, whereas Saturday is jam packed. It's awesome to see all of the people at the show on Saturday but if there's any chance you can make it to this thing on Friday when it opens I'd highly recommend it.

Favourite machine to play was Iron Maiden Premium (and it sure was nice to see how many there were to play). Machine is the real deal and a lot of fun to play.

Personal highlight for me was blowing up the Deathstar on SW Premium! I've owned the machine for the past 6 months and have only blown it up 2 or 3 times. Had a great game on it today and destroyed around 160 tie fighters and put up 3.2 billion (played as Han so it's a bit easier to get to the Death Star but it still tough to blow that sucker up).

All in all another fantastic show and looking forward to coming back in 2019!

#180 8 months ago

It was good talking to you at dorkys down the street from the show. Pinball junkies will find thier fix one way or another.

Btw, They got Scared Stiff up and running pretty quick after you broke it!

Challenge me to a game if you catch me at the show.

#181 8 months ago

Keith Elwin taking Thunderbirds for a whirl.

20180609_194638 (resized).jpg
    #182 8 months ago
    Quoted from Humph:

Underpowered flippers. Played 4 games on it and once got the ball stuck behind the drill.
    TNA was amazing
    Iron Maiden was also great. Played both a pro and premium and glad I ordered a pro
    Personal favorite on floor was that Bally Spectrum. Wow!!!
    A big thanks to all the volunteers who made this happen

#183 8 months ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Underpowered flippers. Played 4 games on it and once got the ball stuck behind the drill.
    TNA was amazing
    Iron Maiden was also great. Played both a pro and premium and glad I ordered a pro
    Personal favorite on floor was that Bally Spectrum. Wow!!!
    A big thanks to all the volunteers who made this happen

Felt like a game from the late 80s. Was that what they were going for? Didn’t find any entertainment in it personally.

#184 8 months ago
    Quoted from pumpkinlad:

Agreed 100%, most people are not following the 1 game rule especially when people are behind them leading to a ton of waiting around and not a ton of play time.

If you see this kindly point out the card on the back box that says they are specifically limited to one game if a person is waiting behind them. This behavior should be stopped before those doing it consider what they're doing as normal and accepted. It's just common courtesy to let someone waiting to play actually play.

I provide my machines so that everyone can play them and enjoy them.

Thanks for pointing it out. I might start "policing" my machines. I know I've seen a lot of the "usual" people trying to clean me out of my Safe Cracker tokens.

#185 8 months ago

I went Friday and enjoyed it...I wish I could have spent more time there but I had other commitments. Like Buckman I felt Friday was pretty chill and the only new games I didn't play were TNA (didn't see the non-tournament one) and Pirates. My thoughts:

Like Buckman, my favorite was the Iron Maiden Premium, love that Egyptian theme, the four flippers, and all the shots just feel great. I got high score #2 on one of the machines (which was probably bumped off on Saturday). The only downside was I couldn't hear the music. Still, I think Stern knocked this one out of the park, just a great, great game.

I liked Houdini and wouldn't mind owning one. It's a beautiful game, great theme and very challenging.

Thunderbirds - I agree with others that the flippers were far too wimpy to do anything. The guy in front of my did an admirable job with ball times despite the flipper strength, but my game was frustrating and over quick. The angles on the shots seem strange to me. It was a nice looking table though, except for the big Dr. Evil looking puppet face featured prominently in the bottom right quarter of the playfield - that is hideous.

Except for Pirates, JJP machines were going largely unplayed while I was there. Kinda sad. It was my first play on Dialed In and it seems like a good game. Pirates looked beautiful, and the line was constantly 3-4 people long, but so many other machines had little to no lines that I decided to pass, will get in a few games on it in at Quarterworld or Ground Control in the future (I'm sure at least one of them will get it).

Also my first play on Guardians of the Galaxy and I enjoyed it too. I like the clean, open playfield...very pretty. Hitting the ball in Groot's mouth though...that's just so unoriginal and has been done to death. Would like to have seen something different.

Other highlights were the Steampunk Royale and Proto machines - both were visually stunning. Play wasn't as strong but was still fun. Also watching my friend trying to wrap his head around Orbitor 1 for the first time was a crack up! He did better than I've ever done, though, so good for him.

Lowlights: Pabst Can Crusher = boring. RBION with the upper flipper stuck in the up position. Fire! would not award any credit when the button was pushed...I've never played it and wanted to try it. Finally, I expected more merchandise than what was actually there. Picked up some nice LED kits from Pinball Bulbs though.

impremium (resized).JPG
    #186 8 months ago

It was great to meet you at the show. Thanks for making the drive all the way out to the show. Hope you enjoyed it and would consider coming back another year (perhaps we could arrange a WPC machine trade). Have a safe journey back!

#187 8 months ago

over 400 pinball machines. exceeded my expectations. awesome quality machines to play. i got some pics. DumbAss it was great to meet you too. thank you for sharing your games with community. Also your willingness to teach people. a true asset to the hobby you are. I will be back for sure just don't know when.

20180608_100032 (resized).jpg20180608_100038 (resized).jpg20180608_100053 (resized).jpg20180608_100059 (resized).jpg20180608_100328 (resized).jpg20180608_100351 (resized).jpg20180608_100358 (resized).jpg20180608_100714 (resized).jpg20180608_100732 (resized).jpg20180608_100739 (resized).jpg20180608_100748 (resized).jpg
    #188 8 months ago
    Quoted from pumpkinlad:

Ask the people behind and in front of you in line if they want to play a 2-3-4 player game and I guarantee it will make the wait better and the show more fun! Or, as dumbass says, gently remind them of the 1 game limit. Or (this may be a little too aggressive ) if they hit the start button again, reach up and hit it again to add yourself to their game...

#189 8 months ago

It's the final day of the show and it's been a great one, with more people and games than ever before! The game count ended up around 460. That means breakdown is going to be more work and take longer than in previous years. If you are available for even an hour or two this afternoon when the show ends, it would be awesome if you could help break down and wrap up a few games. The faster we get the first set of trucks loaded and on the road, the smoother the entire rest of the evening will go for the transportation crew! And if you have games here, it's always nice to break down and pack your own games.

Thanks!!!!

#190 8 months ago

It would be intertesting with Thunderbirds how the lockdown bar copes for a weekend at the show given it is apparently now plastic, previously versions had cracked...

#191 8 months ago

I'm obviously an idiot - why do I waste my time responding to trolls ???

#192 8 months ago

Did CGC present the third machine during die closing ceremony?

#193 8 months ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

If you can't say anything positive.............it just astounds me how some people can only ever be negative.......
    You are probably aware of ONE that ended up with a small crack in the corner after two very solid days of ABUSE (not normal play). We have not had ANY other issues with them at all. Why not pick on the glue we hold them together with? I wonder if that is strong enough - maybe it will let go? Maybe the sky might fall?
    How about:
    "wow, look how well the new lockdown bar works"
    People are always asking for innovation, change, difference - when somebody does something different they cop nonsense like your comment.
    Why not comment on some of the positive things such as:
    How well the cabinet is built with the highest grade plywood, wood "slides" under the cab to protect the artwork, full metal corner braces, full stainless playfield support brace, massive torroidal transformer, power switch in the "expected" place, the wiring harness is tagged with every switch, lamp & solenoid, DMD/speaker panel that swings fully out of the way, coin box and coin mech included, innovative roller bearing playfield slide mechanism and many many other things.
    I guess it's a lot easier to be a grouch......

Thank you for all your work getting those 2 games to the show, it was fun getting an opportunity to play them.

#194 8 months ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

If you can't say anything positive.............it just astounds me how some people can only ever be negative.......
    You are probably aware of ONE that ended up with a small crack in the corner after two very solid days of ABUSE (not normal play). We have not had ANY other issues with them at all. Why not pick on the glue we hold them together with? I wonder if that is strong enough - maybe it will let go? Maybe the sky might fall?
    How about:
    People are always asking for innovation, change, difference - when somebody does something different they cop nonsense like your comment.
    How well the cabinet is built with the highest grade plywood, wood "slides" under the cab to protect the artwork, full metal corner braces, full stainless playfield support brace, massive torroidal transformer, power switch in the "expected" place, the wiring harness is tagged with every switch, lamp & solenoid, DMD/speaker panel that swings fully out of the way, coin box and coin mech included, innovative roller bearing playfield slide mechanism and many many other things.

and this is you the pot calling the kettle black - you have dished on the JJP for years about their boardsets and known for being the grouch of the industry owners, you dummy spit regularly and disappear when the heat increases.

my comment was merely a query as this is the first serious show these have shown up to, and you took it as a negative but I am not talking to you, pinballs are designed for arcades so if it isn't going to handle a show it won't be good for an active arcade.

as for being positive in the official thread I gave a positive comment about the screening of where parts go, I thought that was a positive and a great idea, but I honestly never knew that was done in the past until later posts.

#195 8 months ago

It's good we are now getting some honest feedback on all aspects of the TB machine but any criticism should have been expected as it was always going to happen once the machine left the confines of the Australia/New Zealand pinball safe zone.

The real skill now as a new boutique manufacturer with no runs on the pinball scoreboard will be how they digest that feedback and respond to it appropriately now that they are quite clearly relying heavily on a global market for sales survival.

Quoted from swinks:

It would be intertesting with Thunderbirds how the lockdown bar copes for a weekend at the show given it is apparently now plastic, previously versions had cracked...

Interesting piece of info swinks, thanks.

Does seem an odd choice to make that after multiple iterations with an outsourced vendor and 4 plus years of design only to have it end up as a piece of moulded PVC?

I guess time will tell as to it's durability in an onsite environment.

#196 8 months ago

If you were loading a game up after the show, outside the back gate. I might have your missing item. PM me --only 1 guess per

#197 8 months ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

How about:

Thank you for letting us play thunderbirds.

#198 8 months ago

Fast Pinball guys chillin' in their on site game lounge...

IMG_1385 (resized).JPG
    #199 8 months ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

How about:

If you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen...

#200 8 months ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

If you see this kindly point out the card on the back box that says they are specifically limited to one game if a person is waiting behind them. This behavior should be stopped before those doing it consider what they're doing as normal and accepted. It's just common courtesy to let someone waiting to play actually play.
    I provide my machines so that everyone can play them and enjoy them.
    Thanks for pointing it out. I might start "policing" my machines. I know I've seen a lot of the "usual" people trying to clean me out of my Safe Cracker tokens.

Mostly it was a few bad individual seeds and a couple of large groups of 4 playing over and over, the majority of the crowd was well behaved and the turnout was very large on Saturday. I would recommend making the text on the 1 game rule card bigger because I actually did mention it to one person who played 3 games in a row and they said they couldn't read it.

And Safe Cracker definitely had a line every time I walked by, didn't get a chance to play it but luckily have access to one back in Vegas.

Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Ask the people behind and in front of you in line if they want to play a 2-3-4 player game and I guarantee it will make the wait better and the show more fun! Or, as dumbass says, gently remind them of the 1 game limit. Or (this may be a little too aggressive ) if they hit the start button again, reach up and hit it again to add yourself to their game...

This is great advice and worked well for some games, but others (especially the newer ones) a lot of people had 4 player games running with only 1-2 people actually playing sadly. Just have to be patient and make the rounds to other games if you don't want to wait in line too long for more popular ones.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    $ 32.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 199.99
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    € 85.00
    Boards
    FLIPPROJETS
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    $ 12.50
    There are 298 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside