hedman (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 6.38.07 PM (resized).png
download (resized).jpeg
Untitled.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mesz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 6 years ago

Picking LA to upset Vegas

#23 6 years ago

As much as I love seeing the Flyers losing .....they aren’t this bad! Penguins came out flying and to their credit kept that pace going. So often you see a team come out flying they peter out in the 2nd.

#29 6 years ago

Quick played a heck of a game last night! Watch the highlights of that game (DTMTS.com) and it looked so lopsided, in the Knights favor, but the Kings out shot the Knights by two and the rest of the stats were pretty much even!

Pens game, great opening game but again the Flyers aren't that bad of a team. I wouldn't expect another blow out like last night! The one thing I was most surprised about is ..... the Flyers never resorted to trying to "send a message"! Most of the time you see the losing team resort to this, especially during the playoffs! It's almost as if they just said ok we lost lets look forward!

The Jets/Wild game.....only saw a little of this game, in between periods of the Pens/Flyers game, but when I turned it on in the first the Jets were out playing the Wild like crazy. Was shocked when I turned it back on and the Jets were losing 2-1 in the 2nd!

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Flyers goaltending sucked last night big time!!

I dont know that you can blame the goalies so much as look at the goals scored ....
Rust - watch the goal from behind the net you can see Elliot trying to look around his guys as he couldn't see. You could say he gave up a bad rebound, I guess!
Haglan - all started with the Flyers turning it over in their end and no one was around Haglan who made a great tip.
Malkin - This started at Center Ice when Voráček was more concerned with getting off the ice than making a play on Malkin. Maybe Elliot could've been in better position but the puck went in off the post!?!?
Guentzel - PP goal and Guentzel left alone on the side of the net.
Crosby - hit out of mid air within 5' .....how do you blame anyone on that?
Crosby - puck deflects off Flyers stick over to Crosby who is left alone with wide open net
Crosby - deflects puck within 10' of net ... again most goalies arent going to save that

Most of the time you will see a goalie pulled after letting up 3 uncontested goals but I think Hakstol didn't see that it was Elliott's play but the team in front of him. After the 5th goal you have to do something!

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Doesn't he have a few Stanley Cup wins?

No................ 3

Quoted from pinkid:

Way to go NHL! Let's make hockey as bad as the SuperBowl. Do we need all this crappy entertainment?? No. They already ruined the All Star games. No hitting coming soon...............

I assume you're speaking of the Knights game ........ welcome to Vegas!
Saw a lot of that with Nashville last year! Especially with them making such an ordeal with all the country singers coming in as "fans". Meanwhile how many of these superstar fans were there this year after Carrie Underwood stopped pushing them to come to the games?? Was she at any games this year other than any of the ones that had to do with her husband retiring???

Before any Knights and Preds fans post ..... I will say I am not a fan of all the "crappy entertainment" as I just prefer to watch the game! However, I will say that seeing some of the Preds fans going all out and bringing new fans to the game ...... you have to like that!!! Go to the Penguins game .... don't know if it's due to us being spoiled at this point but Pittsburgh has to be one of the quietest venues in the NHL!

Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Yikes! Vince, time to re-stock the liquor cabinet.

Yeah I might have been influenced in that pick ........... or under the influence!!!! But look ... Knights outplayed LA last night, at home, first playoff game ever but yet they only scored one goal!

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Kapenan looks totally lost, Hainsey looks confused and small. marchand must be shut down, he's a killer.

Hainsey was below average when with the Pens but as soon as the playoffs started he was a huge asset to the team.

#54 6 years ago

A lot of “no calls” in the Caps game.... I can hear Tortarella crying already

#55 6 years ago

Caps 3 loses away....

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Toronto & Philadelphia are just hoping their +/- from the playoffs can be projected onto the golf course next week.

It's one game so too early for that talk! For the Leafs they need to start getting a little more aggressive. Hit Marchand a little and get under his skin. He will take dumb penalties......he's a very good player but has a sever case of "little man syndrome"!

Flyers made a great run to get in the playoffs, they need to look back and see what they did to get here and duplicate it and not look at the beginning of the season for which they played like in the 1st game!

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

As much as I love seeing the Flyers losing .....they aren’t this bad!

Hey meSz you were right!!!

#70 6 years ago

Crosby had the UNnatural hat trick tonight...

Missed on breakaway
Missed wide open net
Hit post

VERY UNnatural for him

#86 6 years ago

Ovie curse still in full force ...... Caps lose again and only NHL team NOT to sell out their home games in the playoffs ..... I guess it’s like paying to watch the same movie over and over and over again. Sooner or later you stop going.

#89 6 years ago

Great game by the leafs .... need 9 more periods like that.

#92 6 years ago

Avs off to VERY quick start!!

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

It truly is remarkable.

Is it really though? I think it would be more remarkable if they had a losing season. They were able to pick average to above average players from 30 other teams and then hold some teams hostage for future high picks for not picking their better players (as several media outlets put it "(teams) paid Vegas their ransom to not pick their players").

This was the first time the NHL did the "Entry Draft" like this (for the record Vegas paid extra to have it this way) so all the hooopla that they're breaking all the expansion team records is asinine to say the least.

and for the record .... I am big fan of the team. Really good team to watch and if the Penguins bow out I will be in the Knights corner but just dread the fact all the media coverage will be blowing the whole "this is the first time an expansion team has ever won the championship" way out of portion.

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I get what you're saying but throwing together a team like that and them clicking the way they are is, in my mind, truly remarkable. Usually chemistry between team mates needs to develop and takes time. It looks like this team has been playing together for years.
And I don't see them making it to the finals and winning the cup.....but who knows?

Thanks and I get what you're saying I mean look at the CAPS ... they have a good team and have had one for several years now and they just cant make it click in the playoffs!

One thing to keep in mind with the Knight as well ..... 4 players (Neal, Fleury, England and Perron) all played together for the Penguins with Perron having the shortest tenure (2 years)! So its not as if they all have never played together!

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

The crappy entertainment I was referring to was some fiasco outside or the 1st Flyers/Pens game. That was not music. The Preds thing got old quick too. Nobody cares about that shit. Oh yeah, the 2 dumb asses fighting at mid ice before the LA/LV game was a joke too. The game is the entertainment, lose the crap.

I agree with ya .... save the money that goes into that stuff and take it off the ticket price as that's where the money comes from to pay for all of it!

Quoted from pinkid:

The outdoor games suck too while we are at it.

I actually liked the outdoor game when it was just the Winter Classic! Now it's the Winter, Heritage and Stadium Series ..... they over saturated it and they use the same teams over and over. I went to the games the Penguins played in but wouldn't travel to see them in another!

I give Bettman credit for the Classic but where they screwed up is moving the Winter Classic last year. He had people who weren't big hockey fans knowing that the Winter Classic was always January 1st but them last year moved the date! Dumb move in my opinion!

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

And Tortorella melting down

That's not historic ..... that's every loss!

Quoted from TheLaw:

Histoy will judge Ovechken for what he is, one of the greatest goal scorers of all time, and a top 10 goal scorer all time.

Completely agree and actually love watching him play but Ove just misses the mark in every other category and that's what holds him back from being a great all around player! He will be one of, if not the best goal scorer of all time but it will also be without a Championship Ring.

Quoted from TheLaw:

mediocre coaches

Valid point as you look at the Caps coaches back to 1980 ... the best a coach winning % has been over their career is .513 which goes to Trotz. Pretty amazing when you think about it as the Caps had some decent years but having an average just over 500 among 10 different coaches is pretty poor!

#126 6 years ago

Ok here in the States the Devils Lightning game is on the (wait for it) Golf Channel and the broadcast has a shuttering effect to it. Annoying as scheib

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Watching end of Ducks game and maybe series.

Man the Duck's laid an egg!!! Outscored 16-4

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Maata is actually much improved. Once dubbed "the slowest player I have ever seen...ever," he doesn;t look it anymore.

He's still slow but he has improved a great deal with how he moves the puck and has himself better positioned. First half of the season he was hard to watch but halfway through the season he started looking better and by end of Feb just looked so much better. Certainly the most improved player on the Pens team this year!

#142 6 years ago

Columbus just looked like they wanted nothing to do with that game tonight! Flat as all can be!

#153 6 years ago

2636D4B4-877A-4658-9D3A-EBF98DF494B2 (resized).jpeg2636D4B4-877A-4658-9D3A-EBF98DF494B2 (resized).jpeg

#156 6 years ago

2-1 and on the PP

A231DC62-D8D9-41C8-B979-9CC033376F95 (resized).jpegA231DC62-D8D9-41C8-B979-9CC033376F95 (resized).jpeg

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

The refs were bad

Not as bad as Letang .... man he has not been the same since surgery! Penguins 20 goals and Philly 10 .... Letang is a +2

#174 6 years ago

Adkinson the only Bluejacket that showed up for the game!

Kadri, good player but gotta hate the dumb a** penalties he continues to take!

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

That's a tough two to be missing, yikes

Not to hate on Malkin but I think missing Haglin is a bigger ordeal as Haglin is one of the few with speed on the team! I look at it this way the Pens lose game 1 and give the CAPS hope and once they have hope we all know where they wind up.....hoping next year will be the year!

On a serious note.... this run the Penguins have on the Caps has to come to an end sooner or later (hopefully later) but this could be the year! Pens are hurting when it comes to Defense. Offensivley they're without two key players and who knows with Haglin as apparently it was a concussion so it's up to a Dr to say yeah or nay! Even with Malkin and Haglin not sure they can run up 5+ goals per game on Holtby like they did with the Flyers!

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

The pressure on the Bruins must be pretty bad right now. Game 7 at home, and they are down 4 to 3 to the Leafs. Getting ready to start 3rd period.

Leafs need to play some O !!!

#185 6 years ago

Two bad goals let up by Anderson..... Bs pulling out the rakes

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Nice hussle from DeBrusk on that goal. Cmon leafs...tie it up and make things interesting!
Game 7s rarely disappoint!

Unfortunately the Leags went into Defensive mode when they went up 4-3! They had 0 shots 8 min into the 3rd.

#192 6 years ago

Someone call the authorities... the Penguins just stole a game!!!

#194 6 years ago
Quoted from Liftserv:

Murray was great tonight!!!

Him and Hornqvist!

#201 5 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

I said it earlier but caps have sucked at home. They were able to get away with it last round, but it isn’t happened against the pens. 3 out of 4 home games they are up 2 goals and lose. At least this didn’t go to ot.

Yeah so you have the Caps who are better on the road and the Pens who were better at home all season! Should make for an interesting match-up! However, the Pens did only win one game, out of three, at home against the Flyer!

#222 5 years ago

So here in the States we have the unfortunate situation of NBC carrying the games. I say this as the games are hard to watch when you have announcers like Pierre McDummy constantly calling stuff that’s not there, rambling on and in and then tells you what university every player goes too (this is the only thing he adds to the game and if you’re like me you don’t care what university the players went too)!

So just when you think you get a break from McDummy they throw this new lady in on the other NBC games that is just awful.

#240 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Aston-Reese has a concussion and a broken jaw....but Wilson is a clean, high-skilled player these days. He better get at least one game suspension.

and don't be surprise if nothing comes of it! As a long time hockey fan I can say that the officiating in this sport is the worst of any sport! There have been penalties on both sides that the refs just look the other way on! Look at the final goal in last nights game, Maata is blatantly tripped at the blueline but due to the NHL Rule (don't call a penalty that will result in impacting the outcome of the game) the ref looks the other way! Granted Maata, being a slow skater, would never had caught up to the play but you call the penalty and the 2 on 1 never happens!

Just another note on the final goal ..... with a little over a minute left you would think Hornqvist and Maata would be busting their ass to get back. Both players weren't even skating when they hit the top of the circle. If Hornqvist kept skating maybe he's able to tie Ovie's stick up???? (btw - great goal by Ovie)

#246 5 years ago

Wilson suspended for 3 games!

#254 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Happy Pens fans I see

Happy he got suspended, not really as it doesn't change the fact that the Penguins aren't playing well at the moment. You have Malkin and Kessel playing hurt, Haglin out, Letang playing like absolute garbage are all big factors, more so than Wilson headhunting!

On a different note...........am I the only one that sees the irony in the fact that one of the NHL's biggest goons is the head of "Player's Safety"?

#256 5 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Wasn’t the last guy a goon too? Either way sucks he got suspended for 3 games. I figured a suspension was coming just wasn’t expecting 3 games. Either way, Wilson being out won’t be the reason the caps lose if and when it happens.

Guess the NHL figures a goon would know what is and isnt in the way of Players safety!

I was surprised too as I was expecting, if anything, one game as it's the playoffs and we know the NHL rule book changes in the playoffs!

Not too concerned even if the Pens go down 3-1 ... they have come back twice in a 3-1 deficit and both times it was the Caps, however the Caps are playing better than the Penguins right now! The big thing I see is .... the Caps are playing their best hockey right now and the Pens are mediocre, at best, if the Pens start playing they will beat the Caps.... just not sure there's enough time for Malkin and Kessel to heel and be 100% or for Haglin to even make it back into the lineup!

#266 5 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

They were lucky to win tonight. Caps definitely dominated the whole game.

Went to the game and while I agree that the CAPS possession time was probably 2-1 cant say they dominated when they had 21 shots on net! Neither team dominated as it was a defensive game! Crosby and Ovie 0 shots!

Quoted from TheLaw:

can we trade Kessel now?

Report is that Kessel is playing hurt. Wont know until after the playoffs are done as to what extent!

#272 5 years ago

Man Letang SUCKS!!!
4 out of 5 goals for the caps were a result of turnovers by the pens.

#277 5 years ago

You're giving Letang too much credit .... a pylon you have to go around, Letang lets you go straight through!

#282 5 years ago

mASSholes first team to be eliminated in 2nd round!

#288 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

He's a great hockey player....but mentally he's a few bricks short of a load.
Playoff karma licked him good. Bye bye bruins

Yeah Marchand is a good player but in the end all he'll be remembered for is licking person! Kind of reminds you of Sean Averey .... all people remember of him is that he stood in front of Brodeaur like an idiot .... at least Averey was trying to help his team ... licking someone did absolutely nothing to help the Bs. Reading Marchand's response to the NHL telling him to stop shows that he just doesn't get it! He's one of those people that thinks of himself first before anyone else!

Want to add as well that watching Chara is hard. Not sure if its his age or what but man he is slow! Maata can give him a head start in a race and win! One thing I noticed about Chara is he constantly interfered with people as he couldn't keep up with them!

#291 5 years ago

Congrats to the CAPS !!

Letang have you ever seen a D man make so many mistakes in a series

#302 5 years ago
Quoted from BrooklynDrug:

Crosby has done it 3 times and got the cup all 3 times.

As a Crosby and Pens fan I mean no harm but you're forgetting the loss in 08 to the Red Wings. Crosby in 3-1 in the Cup Finals!

As a CAPS fan you have to be ecstatic to finally win against the Penguins but at the same time deeply concerned that the CAPS had trouble beating the Penguins. A team that has three of their top players playing hurt (Malkin, Kessel and Haglin). I couldn't see either of these teams beating Tampa but who knows with the CAPS adapting that old NJ Devils Defensive (boring) hockey they may be able to clog up the Center.

As for delt31 ............ anger management man ... anger management!

#320 5 years ago

Rinne two soft goals! Jets out playing Preds right now.

GO JETS GO

#322 5 years ago

The Curse of the President’s Cup lives on!!

#326 5 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

Great game Winnipeg Jets. For the 1st time EVER! A trip to the Western Conference Final! Bring on Vegas!!

I like this matchup. Jets n Knights should be a fast paced game. Knights have experience on their side and (IMO) a better goalie in Fleury!

#351 5 years ago

You two almost done and then the thread can return to discussion on the playoffs! (geebus you two must have been married in a past life!)

#353 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I only replied to him three times, and that was the last one I'll bother with. /shrug
At least I mentioned the Jets looked good last night!

LOL and that they did! Think the big shocker here is the Lighting looking so flat!

When Fleury played for the Penguins he had a few meltdowns in the playoffs but I don't think last night was the start of one as (maybe) that first goal was the only one he should've had! The others were all nice goals by the Jets!

#357 5 years ago

Caps playing that NJ Devils boring hockey but it’s working!

#361 5 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Not a Capitals fan, but if they go to finals it would be nice for Ovie to win the cup!!

Yeah for me I don't care who wins but if I had to pick .... Jets! Huge hockey town and it's been a long time coming for those fans!

#367 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Caps can't even blow this one...they're steamrolling through the Bolts.

Doesn't appear so BUT keep in mind the Caps are the only team to win the first two AWAY games in a series and then lose the series on two separate occasions! Also, the Caps, of the 4 remaining teams, has the worse home record! The true CAPS fan is still biting their nails right now!

#371 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

True they have blown it before but they never started on the road and won both so we shall see.

That's just it ... Caps history is that they're the only team in history to have won the first two games on the road of a series and went on to lose both series! They talked about it the other night on NBC!

Quoted from YZRider926:

I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t true.

Yeah but just like losing over and over again to the Penguins they're do for a win! Look at the Penguins they had a 14 (??) year losing streak at Philly !!!

#375 5 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

This applies to just about any DC sports team that dips a foot into the playoffs.
And why I have no fingernails.

LOL now that you mention it .... DC Sports Teams do kind of ..........

Makes you feel any better we have the Pirates and a owner that LOVES making money of a losing team! Biggest mistake baseball did was had the profit sharing. Anytime the Pirates start to look like a contender they trade their "big names" away in order to lose! They make more by losing then they would winning!

We did (however) get spoiled as hell when Leniuex took over the Penguins! Understandably he did this as they owed him so much money that it was the only way he would see any of it BUT he has proven year after year he wants to win! He spends to the cap every year. So much so that 3 years ago it hurt the Pens as going into the playoffs they were down D-men and they weren't allowed to bring anyone up as they were at the cap! When I was younger I use to always think "man I hope I live to see the day they win a Cup .... 5 Cups later !!!

Let me end with LETS GO LIGHTNING ..... as a hockey fan I want to see as many games as possible!!

#376 5 years ago

4-1

#378 5 years ago

Tampa- 10 min left n Caps have resorted to cheap shots like crazy.

Is it me or has Ovie been standing still most of the night? I realize he’s a goal scorer and not a play maker but man you have to move around some!

#383 5 years ago

Fleury won that one tonight! Jets played flat in the 1st but turned it on outplaying the Knights in the 2nd and 3rd! Good game to watch!

#389 5 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I hope the refs throw away the whistle next year. I can't remember a playoff where the refs looked so confused and bad.

Last year and the year before that and the..............................

#396 5 years ago

And now it’s a best of 3 series. caps outplayed TB but Vas was the difference like Fleury was last night.

#402 5 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Did you see the goals? Not like holtby was at fault for those.

Agree, look at the goals 2 out of the 3 he was left out to dry on. Technically one was on the PP but could say two were since the other was scored just as the PP ended!

Quoted from Malenko:

Vas was standing on his head 95% of the game. Ovi had an amazing pass on the caps second goal to spring Kuznetsov.

Yeah Vas was great and they needed it. Out shot 38-20! Ovi's pass was great but man he needs to step up. I've said it before he stands around a lot! They make a big deal about how he plays 85% of the PP but when you're standing around 60% ???

As if the CAPS fans aren't concerned already here is an interesting stat (with 2 of the remaining 3 games to be played in DC) the Lightning are now 7-0 at USAir Arena (CAPS Center) in the playoffs!

#405 5 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Holtby just seems to catch a lot of flack. Last year a bit of it was deserved, but these playoffs he's been pretty damn good.
On to game 5.

It's probably cause he comes off as an arrogant prick! I don't know the guy so he might be the nicest guy in the world but he comes off as arrogant! If the CAPS lose the series it won't be due to him!

Quoted from Malenko:

Ovi is the king of standing around, I'm surprised he doesn't have 45 minutes of ice time a night :p Here's a tough drinking game, take a shot every time Ovi stands near the face off dot / top of the circle on the powerplay.

I don't agree with you advising to do this as alcohol poisoning is a serious matter

#409 5 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

I'm trying to keep the faith, but I've seen this movie before. Also it's game 5 and 7 in tampa, game 6 back in DC. Game 5 will be huge though for sure.

Yeah my bad as I had it backwards!

Keep the faith.....CAPS outplayed Tampa last night so it's not as if the CAPS were flat! Vas just stoned them! I can't see this series not going 7 games!

#427 5 years ago

In other hockey news .... Canada and US defeated in the IIHF Tournament. Will play for bronze tomorrow.

#434 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I feel like George Costanza when it comes to my hockey picks/predictions this year....
"If every instinct I have is wrong, then the opposite must be correct!"

On the other hand, the CAPS making me look like a Mensa Member!

Quoted from meSz:

Doesn't appear so BUT keep in mind the Caps are the only team to win the first two AWAY games in a series and then lose the series on two separate occasions! Also, the Caps, of the 4 remaining teams, has the worse home record! The true CAPS fan is still biting their nails right now!

#440 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

They are a team full of 2nd liners or better and they got a perennial All-Star goalie from the Pens. Most expansion teams didn't get the talent the knights got. Their real test will be in like 5 years when they have to start cycling players.

This is what I have been saying all along! The "amazing story" would've been if the Knights didn't make the playoffs with the talent they have! The fact that this team was put together and "clicked" is good but not necessarily amazing either! I posted before that (basically) one line of the the Knights all played together in Pittsburgh (Neal, Reaves, Perron, Engelland and Fleury)!

The days of a new franchise struggling for X number of years before becoming a competing team are over, with the way the NHL Expansion Draft is set up!

#444 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If you ask why they are successful this year the answer is Fleury.

Quoted from finnflash:

Fluery missed a lot of games this year, and they still won.

What he said!

#450 5 years ago

Caps at home in a deciding game .... probably going to be wrong in my prediction that this will go 7 games.

#452 5 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Some very hard hockey tonight. Good game so far!

Yeah was a good game. Now that the Caps have the lead get ready for neutral zone (aka boring) hockey.

#454 5 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Let’s hope not. If the caps sit back they lose. Need to continue what they’re doing.

Lol I just said “Caps going into that Defensive shell too early, lightning going to tie it up”

#455 5 years ago

Definitely the best game the Caps have played thus far!

#462 5 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

He was implying that they would lose last night in game 6.

Yeah deciding games and home ice have not been good to the Caps! Also, once the CAPS went ahead they started to play that trap and dump the puck. This was early in the third period....just had a feeling that Tampa might tie it up unless they made a mistake......which they did and the Caps capitalized on it!

Caps may make it to the Finals.....they may not! At this point it doesn't matter as neither Tampa or the Caps are fast enough for the Knights. The Caps may be able to play the trap and slow them down but it will be really hard for either team to beat Vegas

#464 5 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Either team will also have to figure out fluery. He’s playing really well right now. Of course everyone knows that. After seeing what he did to the caps last season in them playoffs I know it will be tough. But first, Game 7.

Agree, this is probably the best Fleury has played throughout a playoff run thus far! Yeah he won 3 cups with the Pens but keep in mind he only played the complete playoffs in 2009, Murray replaced him in 2016 and 2017!

#468 5 years ago

Toronto should call down to Tampa and tell the refs to get off the ice. Missed call after call (a lot of holding and interference) and they’ve been in the way all game.

As a ref you’re told it’s best to not move as the play will usually go by you but man when the puck is in your skates and the players are around you make an effort to get out of the way!!!

#481 5 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

We all know ovi isn't a perfectly rounded player. What he does he does great. He has actually been playing some D and creating plays, playing with some extra effort it seems.

Quoted from Malenko:

I know the strategy behind it, but Ovi can play the full 2 minutes of the PP every time because he doesn't help with entry, camps at the blue line, and camps at the left circle in the zone. It's not a knock on him, it's an observation and more of a knock on "Doc" Emrick than anything else. When he made the call he sounded genuinely surprised and all I could think was "Is this the first Caps game he watched?"

It's ironic that the best two games the CAPS have played (Game 6 and 7) were the games in which Ovie played the fewest minutes in! Before the CAPS fans start typing ....... I also think those two games were the best he played thus far. The CAPS are playing that defensive trap style hockey ... Ovie is a great goal scorer so having him on the ice less is better as it allows him to go all out more. He was moving quick, taking the body and coming back on D then getting off! Whoever made the decision to play him less .. it was a good one and its not to knock Ovie!

#488 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Tom Wilson cheap shot. League needs to sit him for a game so that maybe he'll get the message.

Hasn't worked the last three suspensions, THIS YEAR, it's not going to work going forward. What gets you about Wilson is .... the guy can actually play the game. He just prefers to play the role of a cheap player.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Wow what a game.

NHL couldn't ask for a better start to the Finals. Certainly an entertaining game, could do without the theatrical stuff at the beginning. It was neat the first time but now it's just old. If you're going to the Vegas games I would assume you make it a point to be a little late to your seat! Like watching the same bad movie over and over.

#493 5 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

Re: Tom Wilson. Should be suspended, not sat for a game. He adds nothing.

13 points in 17 games and a +8 is hardly "adding nothing".

Quoted from AAAV8R:Re: Pre-game theatrics. Oh come on....it’s VEGAS! I would have felt cheated if we didn’t get some over the top entertainment before the game. My kids loved it

Agree to a point .... just my point is/was that its the same "theatrics" over and over .... just the opposing actor is in a different costume! It is what it is!

Quoted from orangegsx:

As if this was the only cheap shot of the game? How about the cross check missed call resulting in a goal. Oshi was getting his arms and back of his legs tore up all night as well

Agree to a point ... this is stuff that happens all the time in front of the net and is never called! There were several penalties for these "minor offenses" that the refs never call no matter the game, nonetheless in the Finals! There is no such thing as consistency in officiating in the NHL. IMO take the refs off the ice as the only thing they do consistently is get in the way! Make them off ice officials!

#495 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I really did like them bringing Michael “let’s get ready to rumble” Buffer to introduce the players. Awesome
Sauce!!!!

Yeah agree. The fact that he announced the line-ups, threw in some stats and wasn't just there to say "let's get ready to rumble" was a good.

#500 5 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Seemed like a shit more commercials than usual too..

Agree..... which stinks from a viewership point but good in the sense that sponsors are actually putting money into the NHL and not to mention having it on a major network here in the States.

I do like how NBC got around the clause in the contract that they were not allowed to "breakaway to commercial on Icing calls" so they split the screen so they're technically not "breaking away to commercial".

#508 5 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Once again all the attention towards wilson

The attention is due to the guy being suspended three times in one year and probably should have been at least one other time! Wilson does contribute to the team and that is one of the things that gets him more attention. A lot of people, like me, see the talent he possesses but you're just waiting for him to make that boneheaded play, like last night! He put the team down a man (again) and if Vegas scores 98% of CAPS fans would've been po'd at him!

Quoted from orangegsx:

Or embelishment for neal punching himself in the face, that call resulted in a goal

Neal put his hands up, Orpik hit him (cleanly) but the hands went into the face ..... there wasn't any embellishment on Neal's end just a result of Orpik hitting him.... just a bad call from the ref!

Quoted from orangegsx:

No question Tom plays on the edge, so do a lot of other players out there on both teams.

Agree, almost every team has a Wilson to a point. Every team has that whiner and so on.... the biggest issue today is ..... there is soooo much media coverage that they focus on certain players and pick apart everything they do!

#511 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

How about Carlson, dropping like a sack of shit everytime hes in front of the net, for embellishment?

My concern is, with players embellishing more and more hockey is going to become like soccer. See so many players looking like they got shot! The NHL does very little to deter embellishment. The embellishment penalty is only called along with another penalty thus making the play even on the ice. I would like to suggest that if a player embellishes then only that player would get the penalty but the refs aren't capable of doing that.

#515 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I never understood that. How can you can embellishment on one guy and then call the other guy (with tripping, high sticking whatever) at the same time?
Call one or the other....not both.

I understand calling both as a player will high stick, trip or whatever and the opposing player embellishes it making it look worse than it is in hopes the ref catches it. This I can understand. What I don't get is when you see a player embellish and there is nothing there but yet no embellish call. Forget which game it was but there was an incident where a player embellished a high stick call and the stick wasn't even close to him but yet nothing was called.

#540 5 years ago

Poor coaching choices by Gallant. Down 4-0 and waited till 7 morning n left in game to change up lines and kept Fleury in.

If it’s up to the announcers Holtby will be MVP when he’s played average. He’s had half dozen nice saves but it’s been the team that’s played great. Vegas has hit Holtby more than Holtby has saved!

What a cheap shot only McNabb

#545 5 years ago

4 caps goals on 4 mistakes by Vegas!!

Let me be the first to congrat the Caps fans!!!!

#563 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

More
Yeah, it doesnt have much "sizzle" when you dont follow it that closely.

I followed it very closely and agree that there wasn't a lot of "sizzle". Other than the first round Caps vs BJ where 4 out of 6 games went to OT there weren't a lot of other OT games. There weren't a lot of cliff hanging games. I also think this is the first time we've seen a series where people didn't care, not in a bad way, who won. You had the Knights being the new team and the very likable Fleury vs the CAPS the team that hasn't won it since coming into the league (43 years) and Ovie, one of the greatest goal scorers at the downside of his career.

#577 5 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Joe Thornton contract up Mabey to leafs re-uniting with Marleau?

at 39 years old and coming off a torn ACL and MCL .... do you really want him though? He has said he would take a 1 year deal to stay in SJ but I would think you would have to get a deal to resign him in his present state!

#581 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Here's the final results for the bracket challenge. Congrats Huff!
I finished dead last. I can only do better next year...right? lol

lol I suck and people should ignore any post I make about hockey going forward!

#585 5 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

Nobody picked the Caps to win. LOL.

yeah and the odds just came out for 2019 and the CAPS are the 8th favored team .... I do think the CAPS will be a one and done winner. Ottawa in last place .... they probably will move the 32nd place with the Hoffman/Karlson drama going on!

Tampa Bay Lightning: 9/1
Boston Bruins: 10/1
Toronto Maple Leafs: 10/1
Vegas Golden Knights: 10/1
Winnipeg Jets: 10/1
Nashville Predators: 11/1
Pittsburgh Penguins: 11/1
Washington Capitals: 14/1
Edmonton Oilers: 18/1
Anaheim Ducks: 22/1
Chicago Blackhawks: 22/1
Columbus Blue Jackets: 25/1
Dallas Stars: 25/1
Calgary Flames: 28/1
Philadelphia Flyers: 28/1
Los Angeles Kings: 30/1
Minnesota Wild: 30/1
San Jose Sharks: 30/1
Colorado Avalanche: 40/1
Florida Panthers: 40/1
New Jersey Devils: 40/1
St. Louis Blues: 40/1
Montreal Canadiens: 50/1
Carolina Hurricanes: 60/1
New York Islanders: 60/1
Buffalo Sabres: 66/1
New York Rangers: 70/1
Detroit Red Wings: 75/1
Arizona Coyotes: 80/1
Vancouver Canucks: 80/1
Ottawa Senators: 100/1

#593 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Whoa Trotz retires...didn;t see that coming!
EDIT: Sorry not retired...Quits and is a Free Agent

Yeah headed to (apparently) the Islanders! First step in dismantling a Championship team. Carlson could be next.

#600 5 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

HOFFMAN traded to SJ then flipped to Florida..

The BIG question is ..... does Hoffman stick with the fiance now or dump her for (allegedly) causing all of this?!?!?!

#610 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hmmm...Ray Borque?

I never understood people pulling for Borque ... a guy that screwed over his teammates (Boston) financially and then abandoned them to go elsewhere for nothing more than to win himself a Cup.

3 weeks later
#650 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Im going with the Blues, like i have every year. 1 day it will come true!.........i hope

It will...........the Caps won!

#652 5 years ago
Quoted from nascarrey:

Go Hawks!
They finally unloaded Hossa's contract to Phx…..where long contracts go to expire.....too bad we had to give up Hinostroza & Oesterle.

Seems the Hawks and Pens are both going after Pacioretty .

Marc-Andre Fleury signs 3-year extension with Vegas Golden Knights

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mesz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2018-nhl-hockey-playoff-thread?tu=mesz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.